Post-Game Talk: Ducks 4 @ Canucks 1 | March 28 2017

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Found out what team was like without Stecher and it wasn't good. The drop off b/w Stecher and Larsen is like humongous. Thank God they stopped the bleeding and got Biega back to defense.

Think Canuck management should have seen that Larsen was not suited to NHL.

Dead zone right now on offense is playing with the Sedins. Sedins are now good for about half a season before they fade away to zero. Imagine trying to ride them in the playoffs. :amazed:

Miller should have been out of this one early. Senseless to leave him out . Luckily Anaheim took their foot off the gas and Canucks began to get back in the play somewhat.

If Chaput could score he'd be a decent player. Why not give him a set role on the team (like 4th line center) and let him focus on that.

The Good

Beiga - had some jump and was the best of bad defensive group

LaBate - brought it every shift. Too bad the touch isn't there b/c he is getting himself chances. If comes down to LaBate and Gaunce next year, I take the player that seems more willing to assert himself. They've played identical roles on the team, disrupters, and I think LaBate might be the better at it.

Sutter - thought he played good both ways. Worked hard to break up plays and probably created the most chances for offense.

Bad

Sedins - half-assed effort really

Edler - fumbling with the puck, sluggish movement on defense, lagging behind the play....

Tryamkin - one of his worst games. Looked dog tired and messed up his coverage around the net

Miller - certainly did not look ready to play. Very luck early that he wasn't scored on more. You wonder how high the total would have had to been for Willie to think about pulling him. Sometimes you get the feeling that vets like Miller are more in charge of the team than Willie is.

Terrible

Larsen - can't compete at this level.

Other Points

Boeser feeling his way at times and jumping from line to line probably not helping him but looked smart in how he jumped on chances and found space. No doubt he can shoot the puck

Boucher continued to show an knack for putting the puck on net from different angles which is creating some chances for scrabbles around the net and deflections. Lack of wheels showed up some on the backcheck when he had trouble getting back into the play when transitioning from offense to defense. This is especially the case when the team begins to get fragmented and lose structure.

Goldobin - looks confused and all his plays seem to be one-offs. You can see he see the opportunities quickly and will make the good random play. But there is little continuity in his play and he seems very unsure about what his teammates will do around him. Needs to get into some sort of flow.

Far as tankers go, the pressure was off early and that made the game easier to watch.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
I can't blame Miller for this one. He's been overworked and I think they mentioned that he's faced an average of 38ish shots per game for the last 10 games?

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I can't blame Miller for this one. He's been overworked and I think they mentioned that he's faced an average of 38ish shots per game for the last 10 games?

Clearly the guy is frustrated....playing out a string....facing an avalanche of shots every night.....he's a consummate pro with a lot of pride....can't believe he'd want to sign up for this again next year.

And Goldobin looks totally confused out there....obviously over-thinking his defensive responsibilities....but there's a reason why the Sharks deemed him expendable....needs to spend some time in Utica under Travis Green playing in all situations.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
He has had two years in the AHL with pretty good numbers. He looks lost up in the NHL so far. Talented player but will be 22 when next season starts.

41 pts in 46 AHL games as a 21 year old
Talented but struggling play NHL defense
Former team never gave him a real long look

reminds me of

39 points in 45 AHL games as a 21 year old
Talented but struggled to play NHL defense

He's (potentially) our Shinkaruk.

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site
Brock's goal wasn't just lucky.
Not the first time he cut in and fooled the top checker than used a screen to score a goal (scored similar goals in college). One of the reason he scores so often is because he knows when to shoot and hides his shot well.

Edler being Edler. Can't wait to see this player traded.

Orcatown bang on again, not having Stecher makes a huge difference. Our transition to offense is so much better with his "take charge' mentality and ability to push/create.

People ragging on Miller for being frustrated is hilarious. The guy literally stands on top of his head game after game facing point blank chances 40+ shots. He deserves some slack for being frustrated. I rather have a player who wears his emotion on his sleeves than players who don't care.

Goldobin is lost. The problem is not just his defensive game. He's creating very little offense. For a non-physical, soft forward he better be creating offense on a consistent basis. At this rate, he's heading to the A.

Said this like I forget how many times, we are simply seeing a natural decline of the Sedins. Even in 2012, if the Sedins were playing like this we would be a poor team.

However, not all is doom and gloom. We have some decent pieces to build around.

Horvat, Boeser, Baertschi, Dahlen, Gaudette, Lockwood, Gaunce, upfront

Tanev, Stecher, Hutton, Tryamkin, Juolevi on d.

And Markstrom/Demko.

The key is to draft our #1 C in the next couple drafts.

This might feel like the darkest days, but we look back in a few years, and we would appreciate the start of a new core/team.

SgtToody

Mar 16, 2013
Even Shorty and Garrett wondering why Miller was still in the game after the first period.....guy looked like he was suffering a classic case of 'battle fatigue' with the 1000-yard stare.

Willie just has no feel for his players or the game.....first period was a classic case for the mercy hook ....but he stands there with his clipboard and leaves the veteran goalie out there for another meaningless 40 minutes, after he's been blitzed with 40 shots a night for every game.

One of the most unimaginative and brain-cramped coaches I've ever seen behind a Canuck bench.

C'mon, you didn't buy-in on the media's big love-in on Willy, the players coach who cherishes the parents? All day on 1040 (I'm on a holiday but laid up sick, so bored that I just listened to it all) it and Boeser was all they could talk about, with the underlying theme of "hope and humanity, thy name is Canucks"... Kind of predictable, as 3 weeks ago it was Goldy's hat getting the glory treatment. The Sekeres love for Willy was tough to take, as he knows what we know - no hope in hell should he be back, but what a swell guy. OK, true enough but someone has to pay for 2 straight years of misleading promise, stubborn-to-a-fault asset management and just bad hockey. This team's saving grace -- and that's despite what looks like a repeat 27th place finish-- is the goaltending, from all 3. W/out the steady above average work by Miller, Marky and Bachman they are challenging Colorado for the cellar -- and the Avalanche has talent that should be doing better, on the right side of their prime.
I'm excited about some of the potential here, but angry at so many of the decisions and pattern of delusions management is feeding us. The trade deadline shouldn't save Benning from the axe, but it likely will. I'm also worried he'll botch the draft, but at least there's a chance they could luck out...

jd22

Aug 16, 2008
Texel, Netherlands
Near perma-lurker here. I haven't watched a game all year save for ten minutes of a sad third period awhile back, but I check out the last 3 pages of a GDT usually the next morning. Just wanted to say thanks to everyone and orcatown in particular for laying out the good, bad, and uglies for each game. Much appreciated.

Seems to be a dark few years for sure. .

alicia

~
Apr 11, 2011
Vancouver, B.C
Near perma-lurker here. I haven't watched a game all year save for ten minutes of a sad third period awhile back, but I check out the last 3 pages of a GDT usually the next morning. Just wanted to say thanks to everyone and orcatown in particular for laying out the good, bad, and uglies for each game. Much appreciated.

About the same here, I read the GDT and catch a game when i can.

I appreciate the posts in here.

Hopefully the draft gives us some hope this year

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Still waiting for Goldobin to show something significant. Not Putting up with young players making mistakes is a valid criticism of Willie. However, there isn't a coach in the world that puts up with that sort of effort from Boucher and Goldobin for more than a game or two. Both players have a long long way to go to be everyday guys that help a team win.

The post a few above about it not being all doom and gloom. Correct it's not but that collection of players also doesn't remotely scream pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. It's a standard collection of youth.

DarrenX

Apr 15, 2014

What he said. Props to orcatown in particular for the great post game summaries.... I seek them out.:handclap:

Jumex

Dec 17, 2009
Salisbury, UK

Yup, same here. I can't watch many games live due to time differences. So I usually watch the condensed game plus read the last 10 pages of the GDT.

I used to re-watch games "as live" the following day and avoid the score, but i've not done that much in the Willie D era.

jd22

Aug 16, 2008
Texel, Netherlands
Yup, same here. I can't watch many games live due to time differences. So I usually watch the condensed game plus read the last 10 pages of the GDT.

I used to re-watch games "as live" the following day and avoid the score, but i've not done that much in the Willie D era.

How do you mean by condensed game? Does someone put one of those together?

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
41 pts in 46 AHL games as a 21 year old
Talented but struggling play NHL defense

reminds me of

39 points in 45 AHL games as a 21 year old
Talented but struggled to play NHL defense

He's (potentially) our Shinkaruk.

For what is is worth....

Shark fans seem very displeased with Hansen and the trade also. Many dont think he is any better than Nieto or Wingels and would have rather kept the prospect.

He had 1 points in 8 games and was such a possession anchor with Thornton and Pavelski they took him off that line. Apparently he looked better last night and scored his first goal with Boedker

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
Just got done a 50 day hitch before spring breakup in the Ahole of AB (Fox Creek) 10 days 6am - 6pm 10 nights 6pm - 6am rinse and repeat. Surrounded by Oiler and Flames fans with a dash of Newfie leaf fans. It was a tough 50 days. I hit rock bottom.

I've been there. Not Fox Creek... AB has lots of Aholes. Those shifts, that company. Those fans. Boy, did I ever feel tiredangrydumb by the end of the hitch. Couldn't hack it in the long run, it's a young man's game... now I just work peaceful 9 hour daytime shifts Mon-Fri. Sleep in my own bed every night. Sooo much less exasperating. Sooo much less money, but I don't care.

cc

Feb 28, 2002
That was a brutal game. Can't believe people are still paying to see this. What a waste of money.

I feel sorry for paying customers for sure too.
However, ownership can point to lack of attendance while the team is losing as a reason to not rebuild properly.
I believe the ownership/management view is that this market will not be able to support a losing team to any extent and they might be right.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
However, ownership can point to lack of attendance while the team is losing as a reason to not rebuild properly.
I believe the ownership/management view is that this market will not be able to support a losing team to any extent and they might be right.

but the attendace will drop anyways if they continue to be bad while not rebuilding. Rebuild or not, losing teams don't sell tickets. And that's the situation the team is in now (not 3 years ago but now). They have no choice at this point.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
but the attendace will drop anyways if they continue to be bad while not rebuilding. Rebuild or not, losing teams don't sell tickets. And that's the situation the team is in now (not 3 years ago but now). They have no choice at this point.

It really depends, I think. It's pretty clear how much excitement a higher-end forward prospect would cause in this market. People are losing their heads over Boeser (similar with Tryamkin last year), and we aren't talking about upper echelon prospects here. Were a rebuild done correctly, and you had an infusion of talent like you're seeing in Toronto, I don't think you'd have too much issue selling tickets.

Attendance is down because this roster is complete crap and there isn't really any light at the end of the tunnel. Management and coaching decided in the off-season to play absolutely the most boring, low-event hockey possible to prop up a team that was clearly a mess. Even then, you get significant excitement in the market for a tier-two offensive prospect like Boeser.

When a GM goes out and signs Eriksson, says this team will be "better this year" and contend for a playoff spot, and then goes out and puts up a total stinker; it isn't surprising that fans tune out.

I've been to five games this year (largely due to tickets being cheap, but still) and I'd probably go to more if there was a bunch of young guys and an offensive system in place. A clear managerial strategy and plan wouldn't hurt, either.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki

If you can't watch the games, go to youtube canucks ... they have the game in 5 minutes everyday shortly after each game. Excellent recap that saves hours ....

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
For what is is worth....

Shark fans seem very displeased with Hansen and the trade also. Many dont think he is any better than Nieto or Wingels and would have rather kept the prospect.

He had 1 points in 8 games and was such a possession anchor with Thornton and Pavelski they took him off that line. Apparently he looked better last night and scored his first goal with Boedker

Hansen is already a proven good player though, and it really doesn't matter what he does in San Jose.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
It really depends, I think. It's pretty clear how much excitement a higher-end forward prospect would cause in this market. People are losing their heads over Boeser (similar with Tryamkin last year), and we aren't talking about upper echelon prospects here. Were a rebuild done correctly, and you had an infusion of talent like you're seeing in Toronto, I don't think you'd have too much issue selling tickets.

Attendance is down because this roster is complete crap and there isn't really any light at the end of the tunnel. Management and coaching decided in the off-season to play absolutely the most boring, low-event hockey possible to prop up a team that was clearly a mess. Even then, you get significant excitement in the market for a tier-two offensive prospect like Boeser.

When a GM goes out and signs Eriksson, says this team will be "better this year" and contend for a playoff spot, and then goes out and puts up a total stinker; it isn't surprising that fans tune out.

I've been to five games this year (largely due to tickets being cheap, but still) and I'd probably go to more if there was a bunch of young guys and an offensive system in place. A clear managerial strategy and plan wouldn't hurt, either.

Ya, the team can't just plunk one 20 year old kid into the line up with 9 games to go in the season and expect fans to come flocking back.

This season is done. Fans are as checked out as the players. And up until 10 days ago this was a team "competing for playoffs" (despite never being in a playoff spot) and giving big minutes to AHL crap because the coach is pathologically afraid of any player under 25 making a mistake and costing them a shot on goal. So fine, that's your message and that's what you sold fans on for 80% of the season. You can't do that and then bring in one college player and give Reid Boucher a couple extra minutes and expect fans to suddenly get excited for the future. They chose their message, and that's what fans have rejected. Now if we get a high pick and make some moves in the summer that makes it clear that this team is serious about a rebuild (don't re-sign Miller, fire Willie, move Sutter for anything, etc) then I could see fans getting behind this team a bit more. But this is like a ****** husband buying his wife flowers on her birthday and wondering why she isn't swooning over his grand gesture of affection.

SgtToody

Mar 16, 2013

Show me a market/audience that will continuously pay high prices and a losing culture and what you've got are a trapped, complacent rabble. You could say Edm and TO did just that, but most Edm fans have memories when it was the best AND affordable and had continuous proof that it was going to get better (high draft picks every year, people who had won running the ship - at least until fans got wise to them). I can't explain TO, other than its akin to attending church devotedly despite the general crumbling state of the building...

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Ya, the team can't just plunk one 20 year old kid into the line up with 9 games to go in the season and expect fans to come flocking back.

This season is done. Fans are as checked out as the players. And up until 10 days ago this was a team "competing for playoffs" (despite never being in a playoff spot) and giving big minutes to AHL crap because the coach is pathologically afraid of any player under 25 making a mistake and costing them a shot on goal. So fine, that's your message and that's what you sold fans on for 80% of the season. You can't do that and then bring in one college player and give Reid Boucher a couple extra minutes and expect fans to suddenly get excited for the future. They chose their message, and that's what fans have rejected. Now if we get a high pick and make some moves in the summer that makes it clear that this team is serious about a rebuild (don't re-sign Miller, fire Willie, move Sutter for anything, etc) then I could see fans getting behind this team a bit more. But this is like a ****** husband buying his wife flowers on her birthday and wondering why she isn't swooning over his grand gesture of affection.

Sadly, this message actually HAS seemed to work on most of the the casual fans for the 2nd year in a row. Feed the fans **** for 75 games and then add a SHINY NEW PROSPECT for the last 2 weeks of the season and talk about the future, and it just gets eaten up.

Absolutely zero outrage from fans after what will likely be a 2nd straight bottom-3 finish while being promised a team that competes for the playoffs. No discussion at all about Jim Benning's job security despite his complete and utter incompetence and absolutely disaster offseason last summer. And fans have completely bought into the Boeser and Goldobin hype.

It's sad.

The media is starting to offer up Willie as a sacrificial lamb (even Shorthouse and Garrett were criticizing him last night, for probably the first time ever) but it's basically for not buying into a youth movement/rebuild that management have never said they wanted and following to a T the management plan. Bizarre.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad