Post-Game Talk: Ducks 3 at Flyers 2 | Oct. 20, 2016 | Reg Season game 4 | Home Opener

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
What a joke. **** off DoPS

Can anyone post a Gif of the hit? I do recall Weise catching the Duck in the face with the top of his shoulder but it looked like it was after going through the chest.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
The Manson hit on Konecny was arguably worse... interference where he elbowed him in the head when puck was no-where near.

But Konecny did not get a broken nose... no not even looked at.

Heck, the slash on Streit was premeditated and awful, right on back of knee no-where near the play. If he got injured they probably look at that.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
So Weise follows through as the guy goes lower into a crouch, gets hit in the head.

So now the hitting player has to make sure they are even with the player.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
So Weise follows through as the guy goes lower into a crouch, gets hit in the head.

So now the hitting player has to make sure they are even with the player.

Yep. Holzer "pulled back" when he saw Weise commit to the hit and in the process lowered his head. That hit is likely all chest if Holzer stays upright. This is the type of head contact the league needs to be willing to live with or they should just make all hitting illegal.

Last edited:

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Not really, everybody else can do whatever they want with no punishment.

Oops forgot.

Shaw needless slew-foot that could have ended a players season = no suspension

Virtanen deliberately slamming a falling players head into the boards = no suspension

Flyers players hit square through chest and catch some head = throw the book at them

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Kronwall has been making a living of those hits for years.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Look at Roussel last night, how is any of that more of a hockey play ?

He's not a Flyer.

I still think it's hilarious that some of our members here don't think there is bias against the Flyers.

Rinaldo not getting suspended for his hit on Couturier should have ended that discussion.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I don't think Weiss will get any punishment, he hit him in the head, but wasn't trying to, actually turned away from the hit instead of lowering his shoulder into the guy.

Anaheim is just a bigger, more physical team than the Flyers and it showed last night, this is what happens when you're one of the smallest teams in the league but don't skate like Chicago!

I think Hextall knew there'd be growing pains this year, the injuries have made it worse, but the real problem has been the cap and the lack of talent in the pipeline, by next year the team will look very different:

Lindblom, Vorobyov, Laughton, Leier, AK, Fazleev, will be competing for bottom six slots.
Morin and Sanheim will be starting on defense.

It'll be bigger, faster and more skilled. This year getting Gudas and MDZ will push MacDonald and Schultz/Streit to the bench and hopefully traded in January for a box of pucks. Getting Raffl back will add speed and six to the back six. But it won't be until next season that the "real" Flyers will be ready to make their mark on the league.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
I don't think Weiss will get any punishment, he hit him in the head, but wasn't trying to, actually turned away from the hit instead of lowering his shoulder into the guy.

Anaheim is just a bigger, more physical team than the Flyers and it showed last night, this is what happens when you're one of the smallest teams in the league but don't skate like Chicago!

I think Hextall knew there'd be growing pains this year, the injuries have made it worse, but the real problem has been the cap and the lack of talent in the pipeline, by next year the team will look very different:

Lindblom, Vorobyov, Laughton, Leier, AK, Fazleev, will be competing for bottom six slots.
Morin and Sanheim will be starting on defense.

It'll be bigger, faster and more skilled. This year getting Gudas and MDZ will push MacDonald and Schultz/Streit to the bench and hopefully traded in January for a box of pucks. Getting Raffl back will add speed and six to the back six. But it won't be until next season that the "real" Flyers will be ready to make their mark on the league.

That's just the thing. The league is moving more towards faster and therefore smaller players and systems. Big teams are not supposed to be as successful. But if you are smaller and slower and not physical you are in trouble.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
That's just the thing. The league is moving more towards faster and therefore smaller players and systems. Big teams are not supposed to be as successful. But if you are smaller and slower and not physical you are in trouble.

Unless you aren't the Flyers. Somebody said Konecny got elbowed.

Les Averman

Mar 3, 2015
Pittsburgh, PA
Some of you guys are really doing some serious mental gymnastics if you don't think that's an illegal hit. He leaves his feet, hits him directly in the face, and even though he tucks his elbow on the hit, follows through with it.

It was pretty clear when they referred to it as the "Great Check of the Game" last night that JJ and Clement were realizing it too as they were showing the replay. Not sure if he'll get a suspension, but you're kidding yourself if you don't think that the hearing is warranted.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
It could very well be, but the **** that the DOPS ignores is what's frustrating. Very illegal stuff up and down the league.

****ing Andrew Shaw got a classroom meeting to tell him not to slew foot somebody. I think it's pretty well known not to do that.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
It could very well be, but the **** that the DOPS ignores is what's frustrating. Very illegal stuff up and down the league.

****ing Andrew Shaw got a classroom meeting to tell him not to slew foot somebody. I think it's pretty well known not to do that.

Exactly. Les, I agree with you but it is the gross inconsistency of the DoPS to mete out equal punishment for equally dangerous play that is so immensely frustrating. Others have pointed out similarly – and more deliberately – dangerous incidents that weren't reviewed.

Shaw's is particularly galling as he had just come back from a 3-game suspension. I know the DoPS claims that previous discipline only factor into length of suspension, not whether a play will be reviewed; however, it would be naïve to think that Gudas' hit on Czarnik wasn't of greater interest considering his previous game's hit on Vesey.

Les Averman

Mar 3, 2015
Pittsburgh, PA
Exactly. Les, I agree with you but it is the gross inconsistency of the DoPS to mete out equal punishment for equally dangerous play that is so immensely frustrating. Others have pointed out similarly – and more deliberately – dangerous incidents that weren't reviewed.

Shaw's is particularly galling as he had just come back from a 3-game suspension. I know the DoPS claims that previous discipline only factor into length of suspension, not whether a play will be reviewed; however, it would be naïve to think that Gudas' hit on Czarnik wasn't of greater interest considering his previous game's hit on Vesey.

I certainly can agree with that. I'm hoping that they are going to begin developing some consistency now that this appears to be a bigger issue in the public's eye, but you're definitely right that there hasn't been any sort of a standard protocol set for any of these situations. Schenn, for example, was a ridiculous suspension given what's been done in the past.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Twitter is not loading for a lot of people, so can you paste in whatever it is?

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Some of you guys are really doing some serious mental gymnastics if you don't think that's an illegal hit. He leaves his feet, hits him directly in the face, and even though he tucks his elbow on the hit, follows through with it.

It was pretty clear when they referred to it as the "Great Check of the Game" last night that JJ and Clement were realizing it too as they were showing the replay. Not sure if he'll get a suspension, but you're kidding yourself if you don't think that the hearing is warranted.
And then there was Chris Therien calling it a "great hit" and that he doesn't "care how Holzer feels about it". That was cringeworthy.

It wasn't a good hit. Not necessarily suspension-worthy, but definitely not a good hit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad