Post-Game Talk: Ducks 2 Oilers 1 in OT

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Theres one guy I've seen like that and his name is Brendan Gallagher. That guy has to be the hardest working player I've ever seen.
Oh there's a few, don't get me wrong. But the game is just so fast and so physically hard now that almost nobody is even capable of playing balls to the wall every night.
And that doesn't even take into account all the mental stuff that affects players' games and causes them to play at less than their real ability.
Its a lot harder than people think to be good every night. And lots of good players have bad nights - even lazy nights.
It just seems to me that some posters are hoping for something that doesn't exist.

t0nedeff

Jun 29, 2010
Yea, pretty much. If Hall didn't like Mcdavid he wouldn't have spent the whole summer training with him.

The funny thing is there are a ton of ppl on this forum that think high profile players will sign here just to play with Mcdavid but somehow our own grown high talented player wouldn't. Garbage. Hall is just doing that thing where he thinks he needs to beat 3 guys and throws errant passes like he was doing at the beginning of the year. Lets not forget before that incredible pt streak he played pretty poorly in the first 5 or so games. I'm sure once the team gets RNH back to handle the center duties both players will see an increase in their point totals. It is still disappointed that Hall is playing the way he is, though. At one point I was almost certain he would hit 80 again this year and now it looks like he might not even get to 65.

tikkanen

Jan 1, 2016
red deer
How about the loss of the oilers best d man in Klefbom or losing the guy who's handle the top hard minutes and is the best two way forward on the team in RNH? Aren't those key factors on why the oilers fell out of the playoff race? What does Hall being on the PP have to do with the team being bad? The PP has been garbage in general. Are you really gonna put the sole blame on Hall for the atrocious PP? How comical.

What is comical is how many times you come to the defense of Hall even though he has clearly gone in a mega tank again when it mattered. If he is so good you would think he would lead the pp and not be minus 15 and have half a point a game in the last 30. Maybe I blame him too much but it is a counterpoint to guys like you who blame everyone else for this perrenially last place teams lack of any success. You guys attack anyone who dares to criticize hall. You assume he will be better on a contender---I beg to differ-a contenders coaches expect players to play responsibly in all zones. Remember Maclellen reaming hall out and benching him after he was floating and pouting through another game three weeks ago? Babcock took a pass on hall for the Olympic team after his 80 point season. He is a smart man.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
What is comical is how many times you come to the defense of Hall even though he has clearly gone in a mega tank again when it mattered. If he is so good you would think he would lead the pp and not be minus 15 and have half a point a game in the last 30. Maybe I blame him too much but it is a counterpoint to guys like you who blame everyone else for this perrenially last place teams lack of any success. You guys attack anyone who dares to criticize hall. You assume he will be better on a contender---I beg to differ-a contenders coaches expect players to play responsibly in all zones. Remember Maclellen reaming hall out and benching him after he was floating and pouting through another game three weeks ago? Babcock took a pass on hall for the Olympic team after his 80 point season. He is a smart man.

He also took a pass on Thornton, Seguin, Giroux, and Subban. He didn't take a pass on Kunitz and Richards.

+/- is completely irrelevant on a **** team like the Oilers.

Nobody including a generational offensive talent has been able to get the PP going.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton

Why are you dodging my questions in regards of RNH and Klefbom injuries not being a factor on the attempted playoffs failure? I'm absolutely fine with Hall getting criticized for his game, because he hasn't been good lately. But stuff like "Hall's jealous of Connor" is the part that's out to lunch. I would defend any player on the team if somebody mentioned that kind of bullcrap.
And what does Babcock and the Olympics have to do with anything? There were a lot of great players that were left on the team considering the Canadian team is stacked to begin with.
And your PP comment in regards to Hall still makes little sense to begin with. Why was Krueger able to have a successful PP with an inferior team, but yet Woodcroft can't seem to get it right? As far as I'm concerned, guys like Hall had success on Krueger's PP.

So will you answer my questions, or will you keep bringing up more stuff that's irrelevant?
And LOL at +/-. Good god. I know a person has nothing to argue with when they use +/- on a player.
Mike Cammalleri +15. Sidney Crosby +2. Cammalleri > Crosby, because +/-. Right?

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Just for fun next game, why not try:

Hall-McDavid-Eberle
Pouliot-Draisaitl-Kassian

It's not like we can score a lot less than one per game...

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Just for fun next game, why not try:

Hall-McDavid-Eberle
Pouliot-Draisaitl-Kassian

It's not like we can score a lot less than one per game...

God I hate McDavid and Eberle together. It's not working at all. Switch the right wingers and I think that would be interesting to see.

Unless you have a specific reason for having them like that. Hell, maybe load up the top line.

Hall-McDavid-Draisaitl
Kassian-Pouliot-Eberle

Gobo

Stop looking Gare
Jun 29, 2010
God I hate McDavid and Eberle together. It's not working at all. Switch the right wingers and I think that would be interesting to see.

Unless you have a specific reason for having them like that. Hell, maybe load up the top line.

Hall-McDavid-Draisaitl
Kassian-Pouliot-Eberle

I wonder if we have a right winger that could work with McDavid? Hmmmm.

tikkanen

Jan 1, 2016
red deer
Why are you dodging my questions in regards of RNH and Klefbom injuries not being a factor on the attempted playoffs failure? I'm absolutely fine with Hall getting criticized for his game, because he hasn't been good lately. But stuff like "Hall's jealous of Connor" is the part that's out to lunch. I would defend any player on the team if somebody mentioned that kind of bullcrap.
And what does Babcock and the Olympics have to do with anything? There were a lot of great players that were left on the team considering the Canadian team is stacked to begin with.
And your PP comment in regards to Hall still makes little sense to begin with. Why was Krueger able to have a successful PP with an inferior team, but yet Woodcroft can't seem to get it right? As far as I'm concerned, guys like Hall had success on Krueger's PP.

So will you answer my questions, or will you keep bringing up more stuff that's irrelevant?
And LOL at +/-. Good god. I know a person has nothing to argue with when they use +/- on a player.
Mike Cammalleri +15. Sidney Crosby +2. Cammalleri > Crosby, because +/-. Right?

I never said anything about jealousy of conner. Hall has sucked when it mattered-it is statistical and it is what I see--what else can I tell you? In fact the last two seasons he is averaging about 60 points prorated over 82 games. Klef and rnh getting hurt sucks but the oilers weren't doing that much better with them. We got macdavid back and we were poised to make a run and then hall went completely in the tank and has been playing brain dead for well over a month. Most people see it. You talk of the 80 point season and I make the point that he wasn't selected for the Olympics when he was at his best...if he was really top 3 or 4 on the world at left wing he would have picked him but babcock didn't-there is a reason and I don't think you want to see it. I hope the other gms think like you and we get a top pairing d man for him.

loller12

Mar 29, 2010
Loving Davidson's game hes been a workhorse, I can see him develop into a hjalmarsson type defencemen. Also Oesterle had a good game as well. Its amazing to see how much better our Defencemen transition the puck out of our zone without Schultz in the line up.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
I never said anything about jealousy of conner. Hall has sucked when it mattered-it is statistical and it is what I see--what else can I tell you? In fact the last two seasons he is averaging about 60 points prorated over 82 games. Klef and rnh getting hurt sucks but the oilers weren't doing that much better with them. We got macdavid back and we were poised to make a run and then hall went completely in the tank and has been playing brain dead for well over a month. Most people see it. You talk of the 80 point season and I make the point that he wasn't selected for the Olympics when he was at his best...if he was really top 3 or 4 on the world at left wing he would have picked him but babcock didn't-there is a reason and I don't think you want to see it. I hope the other gms think like you and we get a top pairing d man for him.

You do realize the record of the team's W/L rate has been worse without Klefbom then it is with him, right? Even with McDavid coming back from injury, one player doesn't automatically mean the teams destined to make a playoff run. Not even Crosby having a monster rookie season was enough for the pens to make the playoffs. Klefbom's absense has hurt this team. Nurse playing more minutes is an example. Klefbom being able to play in any situation is another. And he's also one of the best puck movers on the team. With Klefbom and RNH playing while McDavid was still injured, the oilers were in the playoff hunt. Those two are still key reasons why the playoff attempt has failed due to their injuries. Again, I don't care about Babcock? There were lots of players that got left off the team so it's irrelevant. Hall will be on the upcoming WC team in the fall anyways, so the topic of the Olympic Canadian squad is irrelevant.

Considering Hall has the most value other than McDavid who obviously isn't getting traded, if Hall's able to fetch a number one d man, I'm not even close to being against it. But the chances of teams moving their top Dman for a winger is highly unlikely.

Originally Posted By*

Agree 100%. Silly how players coin Hall as an 80 point player. Reality is he'a a 65 point left winger who is extremely streaky, and good for a bad give away once a period.

He will not make team Canada same way he missed Team Canada olympics and same way he got stapled by Lindy Ruff for WC.

Coaches aren't dumb, there's a reason he's a bubble player

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Loving Davidson's game hes been a workhorse, I can see him develop into a hjalmarsson type defencemen. Also Oesterle had a good game as well. Its amazing to see how much better our Defencemen transition the puck out of our zone without Schultz in the line up.

Davidson's career is tracking to be similar to Jake Muzzin.
Looks like the oilers have a gem for once in the later rounds. Who would've thought letting Dman develop for years in the minors would help them, eh? That's another reason why I'm not giving up on Reinhart that fast either. Even Oesterle has played relatively well in these two games against tough Californian teams.

tikkanen

Jan 1, 2016
red deer
You do realize the record of the team's W/L rate has been worse without Klefbom then it is with him, right? Even with McDavid coming back from injury, one player doesn't automatically mean the teams destined to make a playoff run. Not even Crosby having a monster rookie season was enough for the pens to make the playoffs. Klefbom's absense has hurt this team. Nurse playing more minutes is an example. Klefbom being able to play in any situation is another. And he's also one of the best puck movers on the team. With Klefbom and RNH playing while McDavid was still injured, the oilers were in the playoff hunt. Those two are still key reasons why the playoff attempt has failed due to their injuries. Again, I don't care about Babcock? There were lots of players that got left off the team so it's irrelevant. Hall will be on the upcoming WC team in the fall anyways, so the topic of the Olympic Canadian squad is irrelevant.

Considering Hall has the most value other than McDavid who obviously isn't getting traded, if Hall's able to fetch a number one d man, I'm not even close to being against it. But the chances of teams moving their top Dman for a winger is highly unlikely.

Good points-cant argue any of them-good night. Lets hope some deals get done and a proper rebuild is launched while there is still time.

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
:shakehead When the Oilers and Hall start clicking again these posts go away, I'm looking forward to it.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Davidson and Oesterle look real good together.

This team has a real problem of getting shots off quick. They are guilty of waiting that extra second looking for the perfect shot and giving the defender enough time to get in front of it. Directing pucks towards the net quicker will help this team a lot.

Tazer19

May 24, 2012
We are really missing RNH right now. You might want to blame McDavid coming back on Hall and Drai cooling off, but maybe it's about RNH being out.

I wouldn't mind seeing Kassian playing with McDavid and Yak. Kassian can provide the room for McDavid to work, all Yak has to do is get open and that's pretty much all he's good at.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton

Hall-McDavid-Draisaitl
Kassian-Pouliot-Eberle

I actually thought Mcdavid had his best shift of the game when he was out there with Hall/Kassian. He was controlling the play, and Hall was able to keep up with him; something Eberle doesn't seem able to do at even strength consistently when playing with Mcdavid

Drai probably needs to be dropped to a slower line anyways, you can tell he's a bit gassed. He's almost completely stopped skating like he was earlier in the season, and is reduced to reacting to the play around him due to the lack of time and space that is a result of his current stationary playstyle.

Last edited:

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
No way. As soon as RNH is back you put him in the middle of Drai and Hall. The limited time those 3 played together they were incredible. The fact is that with Drai in the middle he is getting an outlet pass where he isn't going close to the speed he would be at if he was playing the wing.

i was waiting for someone to say THIS/.

Finally.

Also nobody is pointing out that Drais is basically a rookie and is playing Centre. Most kids dont get put into centre a top six line...they begin on the wings for a few years.

Last edited:

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
I'm surprised the team actually got a point. Ducks were off and toying around all night. Only reason it was close was because of Talbot. I predict the Oilers will be hard pressed to wit of the season.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Agree 100%. Silly how players coin Hall as an 80 point player. Reality is he'a a 65 point left winger who is extremely streaky, and good for a bad give away once a period.

He will not make team Canada same way he missed Team Canada olympics and same way he got stapled by Lindy Ruff for WC.

Coaches aren't dumb, there's a reason he's a bubble player

Complete garbage here look at his monthly splits https://www.nhl.com/player/taylor-hall-8475791?stats=splits-r-nhl&season=20152016 and please go back multiple years then compare that to other star players he is an extremely consistent player, there are tons of players that run hot and cold, even the superstars, but through Hall's career he really doesn't have many prolonged cold spells e.g. Crosby to start the year. By and large Hall has cooled down because Draisaitl has hit the rookie wall and hasn't picked himself back up yet, but our new big young C is ofcourse hallowed ground so we can't point fingers at him and Purcell is playing more like the guy we had in previous years rather than the one who looked to be turning his career around with Oates help.

Secondly Hall has only twice been on pace for 65 point season based on his points per game and an 82 game season. One season was his rookie year, the other was his injury plagued season last year. If you actually paid attention to the games you'd notice that Hall is constantly having the puck deferred to him we rely on him to a huge extent to carry the puck in and essentially carry any line he is on, he has never had an equal partner of his calibre to work with, Draisaitl or McDavid will grow into that, but Seguin and Benn shine much brighter for having each other to lean on. I remember when Iginla would routinely be one of the league leaders in giveaways, it is a common trait for people who have the puck on their stick all the time, top 3 give-away leaders on the year P.K. Subban, Drew Doughty, and Erik Karlsson wow those guys are trash right :dunce: and look who is directly tied with Hall at 61 giveaways why it's Jamie Benn and Johnny Gaudreau.

I have an idea if we want to stop sucking lets get some quality veterans to finally teach our kids how they should do things like the Penns and Chicago did, instead of having the youngest team in the entire league Team average age link and on top that lets try to piece together a defense that doesn't suck balls and can atleast make a tape to tape pass up to our talented forwards.

McBeastMode

Dec 29, 2012
Beside my neighbor..
I swear, other teams were paying off Schultz to throw games. So glad to see that turd finally get flushed.

uJNnuZb.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad