Post-Game Talk: Ducks 2 Oilers 1 in OT

McDeathbyCheerios*

Complete garbage here look at his monthly splits https://www.nhl.com/player/taylor-hall-8475791?stats=splits-r-nhl&season=20152016 and please go back multiple years then compare that to other star players he is an extremely consistent player, there are tons of players that run hot and cold, even the superstars, but through Hall's career he really doesn't have many prolonged cold spells e.g. Crosby to start the year. By and large Hall has cooled down because Draisaitl has hit the rookie wall and hasn't picked himself back up yet, but our new big young C is ofcourse hallowed ground so we can't point fingers at him and Purcell is playing more like the guy we had in previous years rather than the one who looked to be turning his career around with Oates help.

Secondly Hall has only twice been on pace for 65 point season based on his points per game and an 82 game season. One season was his rookie year, the other was his injury plagued season last year. If you actually paid attention to the games you'd notice that Hall is constantly having the puck deferred to him we rely on him to a huge extent to carry the puck in and essentially carry any line he is on, he has never had an equal partner of his calibre to work with, Draisaitl or McDavid will grow into that, but Seguin and Benn shine much brighter for having each other to lean on. I remember when Iginla would routinely be one of the league leaders in giveaways, it is a common trait for people who have the puck on their stick all the time, top 3 give-away leaders on the year P.K. Subban, Drew Doughty, and Erik Karlsson wow those guys are trash right :dunce: and look who is directly tied with Hall at 61 giveaways why it's Jamie Benn and Johnny Gaudreau.

I have an idea if we want to stop sucking lets get some quality veterans to finally teach our kids how they should do things like the Penns and Chicago did, instead of having the youngest team in the entire league Team average age link and on top that lets try to piece together a defense that doesn't suck balls and can atleast make a tape to tape pass up to our talented forwards.
No that's all false. Hall is a 60 point streaky second line winner who can't handle not being the guy. We should trade him for a 5th while we have a chance

:sarcasm:

Originally Posted By*

Complete garbage here look at his monthly splits https://www.nhl.com/player/taylor-hall-8475791?stats=splits-r-nhl&season=20152016 and please go back multiple years then compare that to other star players he is an extremely consistent player, there are tons of players that run hot and cold, even the superstars, but through Hall's career he really doesn't have many prolonged cold spells e.g. Crosby to start the year. By and large Hall has cooled down because Draisaitl has hit the rookie wall and hasn't picked himself back up yet, but our new big young C is ofcourse hallowed ground so we can't point fingers at him and Purcell is playing more like the guy we had in previous years rather than the one who looked to be turning his career around with Oates help.

Secondly Hall has only twice been on pace for 65 point season based on his points per game and an 82 game season. One season was his rookie year, the other was his injury plagued season last year. If you actually paid attention to the games you'd notice that Hall is constantly having the puck deferred to him we rely on him to a huge extent to carry the puck in and essentially carry any line he is on, he has never had an equal partner of his calibre to work with, Draisaitl or McDavid will grow into that, but Seguin and Benn shine much brighter for having each other to lean on. I remember when Iginla would routinely be one of the league leaders in giveaways, it is a common trait for people who have the puck on their stick all the time, top 3 give-away leaders on the year P.K. Subban, Drew Doughty, and Erik Karlsson wow those guys are trash right :dunce: and look who is directly tied with Hall at 61 giveaways why it's Jamie Benn and Johnny Gaudreau.

I have an idea if we want to stop sucking lets get some quality veterans to finally teach our kids how they should do things like the Penns and Chicago did, instead of having the youngest team in the entire league Team average age link and on top that lets try to piece together a defense that doesn't suck balls and can atleast make a tape to tape pass up to our talented forwards.

:shakehead

I can't even right now. The excuses are too much.

Gaudreau has more points than Hall and who does he lean on? A washed up hudler and a 21 year old Monohan. You're telling me Monohan and Hudler are better than Draisatl and Purcell?

The fact is, Hall is a first overall player and should be able to carry a line by himself: that is what first overall picks are expected to do.

(See: Tavares making moulson a 30+ goal scorer, Stamkos playing with random no namers in Tampa, and Kane making Panarin look like the next best thing since sliced bread).

I'll say it again, coaches are not stupid. The book is out on Taylor Hall. He's a north south player with below average shot, hands, and decision making. All things that will keep him off Team Canada at the worlds.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
God I hate McDavid and Eberle together. It's not working at all. Switch the right wingers and I think that would be interesting to see.

Unless you have a specific reason for having them like that. Hell, maybe load up the top line.

Hall-McDavid-Draisaitl
Kassian-Pouliot-Eberle

I don't know about that second line haha, but I like the idea of trying Drai on McDavid's wing.

Might be worth a shot when RNH is back.

McDeathbyCheerios*

:shakehead

I can't even right now. The excuses are too much.

Gaudreau has more points than Hall and who does he lean on? A washed up hudler and a 21 year old Monohan. You're telling me Monohan and Hudler are better than Draisatl and Purcell?

The fact is, Hall is a first overall player and should be able to carry a line by himself: that is what first overall picks are expected to do.

(See: Tavares making moulson a 30+ goal scorer, Stamkos playing with random no namers in Tampa, and Kane making Panarin look like the next best thing since sliced bread).

I'll say it again, coaches are not stupid. The book is out on Taylor Hall. He's a north south player with below average shot, hands, and decision making. All things that will keep him off Team Canada at the worlds.
And who does Gaudreau lean on for defensemen? Giordano, Brodie and Hamilton.

You do know that our d are last in the league for point right? And that negatively effects our forwards points?

McDeathbyCheerios*

You do know the last worlds Hall was on it and one or the best offensively? Nope guess that never happened.

Husker Du

Sponsor
Mar 18, 2012
Edmonton
God I hate McDavid and Eberle together. It's not working at all. Switch the right wingers and I think that would be interesting to see.

Unless you have a specific reason for having them like that. Hell, maybe load up the top line.

Hall-McDavid-Draisaitl
Kassian-Pouliot-Eberle

every game you feel the need to tell everybody how much you dislike Eberle. We get it. However if you feel that 15 points in 13 games is "not working at all", then I suggest you might want to consider lowering your expectations.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
And who does Gaudreau lean on for defensemen? Giordano, Brodie and Hamilton.

You do know that our d are last in the league for point right? And that negatively effects our forwards points?

Yeah, the Oilers D pretty much just don't get involved offensively.

I was looking at Individual Points Percentage(The % of goals scored while player was on ice that the player had a point on) the other day and it's pretty ugly.

Giordano/Brodie are sitting at about 47, Hamilton/Wideman at about 37.

Klefbom is the best on the Oilers at 50, but the next regulars are Gryba at 23 and Davidson at 20.

Studz

Jun 20, 2015
City of Champions
Oilers played a good game against a very good team. A nice goal in overtime for the opposition, this happens from time to time especially in 3 v 3.

oilersfan87

Jan 18, 2009
It's weird how even when the Oilers play well they still end up losing all the time. Seriously, it's like this team is allergic to winning.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Just random post but theres a play last night where Hall, on a PP, passes the puck out of offensive zone back out of the zone right to the Ducks player exiting the penalty box. I looked at that play 5 times trying to figure out what Hall was thinking there and who he was passing to.

There was also a pass to Kassian that missed him by 10 feet.

What on Earth is up with Taylor Hall lately? Its like he's trying to look bad. Is he done wanting to be here? Just speculation but last 2 mths he's been ordinary-bad.

Not a strong game for Drai either.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
It's weird how even when the Oilers play well they still end up losing all the time. Seriously, it's like this team is allergic to winning.

The question is more why do the Oilers play so poorly against very ordinary clubs like the Sens where 2 pts is very available vs playing well against teams like the KIngs and Ducks they are unlikely to beat.

McDeathbyCheerios*

The question is more why do the Oilers play so poorly against very ordinary clubs like the Sens where 2 pts is very available vs playing well against teams like the KIngs and Ducks they are unlikely to beat.
I think a lot of that had to do with both Chia and McLellan calling them out to the media.

As much as people say it might not be, after McLellan called them out the defense and bottom six kicked it up a notch. However the top 6 hasnt

Originally Posted By*

Just random post but theres a play last night where Hall, on a PP, passes the puck out of offensive zone back out of the zone right to the Ducks player exiting the penalty box. I looked at that play 5 times trying to figure out what Hall was thinking there and who he was passing to.

What on Earth is up with Taylor Hall lately? Its like he's trying to look bad. Is he done wanting to be here? Just speculation but last 2 mths he's been ordinary-bad.

Yeah I noticed that as well. It's alarming how he's missing that pass to Kassian, honestly it's unacceptable to be giving the puck away that easily.

Our team mentally clocked out months ago, like every year. Just going through the motions... Very scary stuff when your leaders are mailing it in, sets a horrible example for young players (not just hall mailing it in FWIW, Ebs Yak and Schultz are mentally clocked out)

Originally Posted By*

Yeah they show up against the chicagos and anaheims of the league, but the ottawas and montreal's make us look like a WHL team.

Originally Posted By*

Yet people think when we enter rogers place that will magically change :popcorn:

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009

quite honestly I think Hall is close to being done in Edmonton. It's been a wretched experience. No matter how hard he plays, it's a lose-lose. If he doesn't constantly skate and try to "push the river", he doesn't have the skill to really create anything by himself aside from on the rush. His shot isn't very good. What I don't understand is where his deft touch has gone, he looked to be turning a corner early on in the season with his playmaking ability.

LD has obviously, hugely, hit a wall and is coming down to earth. He's still young, on a super ****** team with very poor morale. Disappointed but not unexpected from a 2nd year.

I think it's all just a giant culmination of another long, lost season, nerves are wearing thin and Hall is probably at the forefront of that. That all being said, it's still pretty bad when the A1 guy on your team has gone this cold during the most important stretch of the year. He's got to pick it waaaay up. He's been flat out awful.

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009

They CAN and NEED TO play harder on a more consistent basis, which is the most upsetting thing. They can play better, for all their flaws, and give more on any given night but you just don't see it. It's the sure sign of a team that's mentally broken. Can't wait for this squad to get gutted (hopefully).

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
Best line had the lowest toi.

McLellan stubbornly sticks with Hall-Drai and Pouliot-McDavid-Eberle pairings/lines when they've been mediocre for so long. How hard is it to swap some players between the two lines?

PP still sucks.

Record isn't that much better than Eakins' at this point.

I'm starting to think TMac is overrated.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

You looked at that play 5 times and didn't notice that it was actually Connor McDavid who sprung Simon Depres coming out of the penalty box in the third?

Then the random poster:

"oh yeah I saw that too! :dunce:"

Get those pitchforks sharpened folks. Schultz has his bags packed and both feet out the door already. Need someone new to step up to the firing line. Whether or not the player actually did something wrong or not be damned. We'll just pretend he did amiright?

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Why on Earth was Pakarinen HS the two games against the biggest hardest hitting teams in the league?

That is the oddest possible games to be benching Pak who has been a guy really standing up and giving it back.

I've stopped understanding McLellans personnel management a longtime ago. This is the hardest working forward on the team and he's getting benched in two games he'd be a natural in.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Why on Earth was Pakarinen HS the two games against the biggest hardest hitting teams in the league?

That is the oddest possible games to be benching Pak who has been a guy really standing up and giving it back.

I've stopped understanding McLellans personnel management a longtime ago. This is the hardest working forward on the team and he's getting benched in two games he'd be a natural in.
I wonder if they are sitting him cause he is sick or something. Or are trying to move Korpi

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
You looked at that play 5 times and didn't notice that it was actually Connor McDavid who sprung Simon Depres coming out of the penalty box in the third?

Then the random poster:

Get those pitchforks sharpened folks. Schultz has his bags packed and both feet out the door already. Need someone new to step up to the firing line. Whether or not the player actually did something wrong or not be damned. We'll just pretend he did amiright?

We're not talking about the same play amigo. The McDavid play (which was similarly awful) came later. Hall did this earlier passing to a Duck coming right out of the PB.

Next time you get the dunce hat out don't bother. I won't be seeing your posts.

done:shakehead

McDeathbyCheerios*

Then the random poster:

Hahaha yep.

Didn't McDavid try and pass it back to a dman and the dman looked like his controller got unplugged? I don't even think Hall was on the ice

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad