Pre-Game Talk: Duck Hunting Tuesday Night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
The top "5 man unit" has been getting heavily dominated in scoring chance and shot metric differential, I really wish Tippett would change it.

McDrai suck ass defensively when together, combined with Nurse/Barrie who are very offensively minded there's been just way too much high danger leaking against that unit.

I think it was a Lowetide article, either way, someone pointed out that Tippett has liked to run a 5 man offense unit and 5 man two way unit in the top 6. This goes back to his Dallas days. I wish he’d mix it up more though

MoreDifferentS

I said consummate Flying V's!
May 1, 2021
Strong Badia
homestarrunner.com
Koskinen will have a better season IMO

...a better season than he had last year? I agree. A better season than Smith? Not quite a hot take, but definitely a spicy one.

I'd assume that if it's the latter, it's as much a case of Smith faltering as it is Koskinen's return to form, but if it's just Koskinen putting it together I would love to be in a situation where you can't go wrong putting either guy in the pipes. We've seen that with this tandem for flashes before. Either way, it''ll be intriguing to watch as the season develops.

Gregsky99

Dec 16, 2012
Tippett is a bullshit artist at this point. He says one thing and completely trashes it a week later. People were laughing when I said he'd have McDavid Draisaitl back together by game 2 of the regular season, it didn't even take that long, lol.

There's no long term planning with Tippett, he just milks whatever is hot.
Isn’t that what a coach is supposed to do? :huh:

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
I ate duck before. Don’t know if it wasn’t cooked properly but I didn’t like it

Depends on the part of the duck. If you see “Duck Confit” anywhere, generally at a French restaurant, give it a try. You won’t regret it.

How it is prepared has a HUGE influence on its taste,... moreso than other things IMO.

Asian "Peking" duck will be sweet, salty and sometimes a bit oily. Same for French style duck-confit... again... my opinion.

But for me, it's gotta be duck breast, which is cooked med-rare!

Duck:
  • buy a package of duck breast, usually two/pack... larger nice grocery store will have it
  • Add a dollop of butter to a pan, score the skin with knife, add salt and pepper
  • Skin side down 5 mins on med-high, turn over and cook another 5 mins
  • Remove and tent under foil
Sauce:
  • Save a bit of the drippings (enough to cover bottom of small pan)
  • Add 5-10 cherries (fresh or nice maraschino's like Luxardo)
  • Tablespoon of honey, big splash of porto wine or regular red if that's all you have, half a cup of chicken stock
  • 1 shallot minced
  • Cook it all down to starting to be a bit glassy (say 5 mins max)... stir in another dollop of butter and turn off the heat
This is dead simple and might earn you some points!

We'll be having duck tomorrow!

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
How it is prepared has a HUGE influence on its taste,... moreso than other things IMO.

Asian "Peking" duck will be sweet, salty and sometimes a bit oily. Same for French style duck-confit... again... my opinion.

My mouth was watering just reading your recipe / description!
Duck is a very typical and popular Christmas dinner over here (Germany) - served up with sweet/sour red cabbage Rotkohl, and Klösse potato dumplings. It might sound odd if you've never had it before, but prepared well, it's a fantastic meal.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Tippett is a bullshit artist at this point. He says one thing and completely trashes it a week later. People were laughing when I said he'd have McDavid Draisaitl back together by game 2 of the regular season, it didn't even take that long, lol.

Except that 2nd line has actually been good. I don't understand what you mean?

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Tippett is a winning bullshit artist at this point. He says one thing and completely trashes it a week later. People were laughing when I said he'd have McDavid Draisaitl back together by game 2 of the regular season, it didn't even take that long, lol.

Fixed it for you.

Reactions: bellagiobob

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
...a better season than he had last year? I agree. A better season than Smith? Not quite a hot take, but definitely a spicy one.

I'd assume that if it's the latter, it's as much a case of Smith faltering as it is Koskinen's return to form, but if it's just Koskinen putting it together I would love to be in a situation where you can't go wrong putting either guy in the pipes. We've seen that with this tandem for flashes before. Either way, it''ll be intriguing to watch as the season develops.

I didn't say it was a bad thing when I said Koskinen will have the better season

Reactions: MoreDifferentS

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006
Ehhh I liked Turris better. Sceviour just brings nothing offensively. The trio of Perlini, Shore, Turris brought some really nice offensive chemistry all pre season and I want to see that in a real game.

I hope so; Turris still looks a bit lost defensively at times and still doesn't bring a great forecheck game.

I'm really hoping that I'm wrong about him this year, though

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006

Was curious about your Avatar, are you also a Kraken fan?

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
They have everything except duck! Some of those dishes look pretty darn tasty though. I looked up the menus. LOL!
I need to expand my food intake so maybe I should try some of these dishes hahaha

I’m not huge on sushi is the one thing.

which is weird because I like sardines lol. I don’t eat them much because they smell so strong.

had them in the office once and almost killed people.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017

Duck:
  • buy a package of duck breast, usually two/pack... larger nice grocery store will have it
  • Add a dollop of butter to a pan, score the skin with knife, add salt and pepper
  • Skin side down 5 mins on med-high, turn over and cook another 5 mins
  • Remove and tent under foil
Sauce:
  • Save a bit of the drippings (enough to cover bottom of small pan)
  • Add 5-10 cherries (fresh or nice maraschino's like Luxardo)
  • Tablespoon of honey, big splash of porto wine or regular red if that's all you have, half a cup of chicken stock
  • 1 shallot minced
  • Cook it all down to starting to be a bit glassy (say 5 mins max)... stir in another dollop of butter and turn off the heat
This is dead simple and might earn you some points!

We'll be having duck tomorrow!
I wonder if there is a difference in taste in the ducks between Alberta and NS?
I like dark meat and duck is suppose to be dark meat is it not?
I should note that the fella cooking it couldn’t cook Kraft Dinner properly

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I need to expand my food intake so maybe I should try some of these dishes hahaha

I’m not huge on sushi is the one thing.

which is weird because I like sardines lol. I don’t eat them much because they smell so strong.

had them in the office once and almost killed people.

Hang with me for a weekend. I’ll fix ya up.

Reactions: tardigrade81
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad