Speculation: Duchene trade looking back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
if the sens DONT end up being a lottery team the trade will only go down as being terrible

if that ends up being hughes, you can go ahead and talk about it as one of the worst trades in NHL history

Imagine if they had just moved Turris for Girard+Kamenev+2nd, and kept Bowers + that 1st + 3rd

Duchene isnt worth close to that

GMpuckFan66

Jun 25, 2018
i know it is still early but just look at this trade.
The avs gave up a guy that is very overrated in duchene. What they got for a second line centre?

A first
A second
A third
Shane Bowers (2017 first)
Sam Girard (super stud d prospect)
Vladislav kamenev (future second line centre)
Andrew Hammond (solid backup goalie, meh)

I mean kamenev alone could end up better than duchene, who knows. I think Girard is going to be special. Plus basically two first rounders with Bowers involved...

I think turris alone is worth more than duchene if you look at their success on their new teams..

How did Sakic ever pull this one out?? Everyone was ripping him over mishandling the duchene situation but wow!!! He murdered it.

Could this be one of the best trades ever for the avs since they have been a team? Or even from the Quebec days...
Well it'll take a few years to see the full results but it definitely looks better for them than ottawa.

I would still say the quebec/philly trade that sent Eric lindros to the flyers for several players including forsberg and ricci, that would eventually help them win the cup when the relocated to Colorado a few years later, is still the best franchise trade

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
i know it is still early but just look at this trade.
The avs gave up a guy that is very overrated in duchene. What they got for a second line centre?

A first
A second
A third
Shane Bowers (2017 first)
Sam Girard (super stud d prospect)
Vladislav kamenev (future second line centre)
Andrew Hammond (solid backup goalie, meh)

I mean kamenev alone could end up better than duchene, who knows. I think Girard is going to be special. Plus basically two first rounders with Bowers involved...

I think turris alone is worth more than duchene if you look at their success on their new teams..

How did Sakic ever pull this one out?? Everyone was ripping him over mishandling the duchene situation but wow!!! He murdered it.

Could this be one of the best trades ever for the avs since they have been a team? Or even from the Quebec days...

Funny how you call Duchene overrated and then overrate all the pieces they got back. Lol at super stud d prospect.

Reactions: phillipmatchett

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site
We got robbed. The homer Av fan proposals beforehand seemed ridiculous and then it actually happened in real life. We acquired a slightly upgraded 2nd line center in return for our 2nd line and two 1st's... one of which could now be a lottery pick.

Worse yet, is we're the team who got garbage in return for near prime Heatley and Spezza... but we have to give up the moon for a 50 point center.

This trade will probably remain in the lore of these franchises for next 50 years.
- The miracle that saved the Colorado Avalanche and turned them into contenders.
vs.
- The calamity that destroyed the Ottawa Senators and brought them to the Nadir of franchise history (because previously finishing last 4 straight seasons and almost going bankrupt will pale in comparison to how bad the next 5 years look).

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
if the sens DONT end up being a lottery team the trade will only go down as being terrible

if that ends up being hughes, you can go ahead and talk about it as one of the worst trades in NHL history

Imagine if they had just moved Turris for Girard+Kamenev+2nd, and kept Bowers + that 1st + 3rd

Then Pageau is likely our first line centre. I’m not defending the trade, but to act like trading Turris for futures and not getting an impact centre in return is a good thing is not accurate. Also, Ottawa was still thinking playoffs when that deal went down.

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
Absolutely ludicrous trade then and no one anywhere can justify the stupidity of Sens management and what has followed with that team.

In fact, Ottawa, Montreal, Vancouver, Calgary and Edmonton have all made unbelievable stupid moves the last year or so.

You'd think they are doing it purposely just to be horrible on the ice. Calgary IMO has redeemed themselves a bit with the Hamilton trade though.

strictlyrandy

Sep 9, 2013
Colorado

Except Duchene was worth exactly that. You can't say he isn't worth it when that's literally the price a GM paid for him.

If Duchene wasn't worth that package then he wouldn't have returned it.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
They didn't even upgrade on Kyle Turris. Should have just kept their loyal soldier, signed him to a fair deal and then given Mike Hoffman the boot when there were signs of trouble emerging.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Well it'll take a few years to see the full results but it definitely looks better for them than ottawa.

I would still say the quebec/philly trade that sent Eric lindros to the flyers for several players including forsberg and ricci, that would eventually help them win the cup when the relocated to Colorado a few years later, is still the best franchise trade

yeah gonna take some time. but it just looks awful for ottawa already. Duchene was sub 60pts for the 4th straight year, and they have the worst cup odds according to vegas (and not particularly close)

when EK gets moved the team will easily be the worst in the league. Duchene likely gets moved at the deadline and the sens will have to watch as the avs pick top 4 (leafs fans know the pain ie seguin)

Reactions: Name Nameless

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
They didn't even upgrade on Kyle Turris. Should have just kept their loyal soldier, signed him to a fair deal and then given Mike Hoffman the boot when there were signs of trouble emerging.

didnt wanna give him 6x6 lol

How much does duchene ask for to stay? I dont see any scenario where a team like Montreal/SJ/LV doesnt offer him 9+ per if he hits UFA

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Duchene is better and younger than Turris.

Still doesnt justify the trade though.

leafsrule123

Apr 28, 2010
Castleton
It’s going to hurt even more if the Avs get the 1st overall selection out of Ottawa’s pick and draft Jack Hughes a future number one center and then Duchene walks in Free Agency July 1st for nothing...I would hope they would trade Duchene for something before that happened.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Just an atrocious trade. In no way shape or form is Duchene better than Turris. Add to it that the Avs could be selecting Hughes in 2019.

lets not forget bowers (former 1st rd pick, 17g/32pts in NCAA as freshman at BU)

OUT

Zibanejad
Turris
Bowers
2019 1st (likely lotto pick)
2nd
3rd
3rd

IN

Duchene
Gustavsson
2018 1st (Bernard-docker)