Proposal: Duchene to Montreal

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
No, Montreal keeps Galchenyuk. Duchene couldn't lift a bad team like Ottawa, so he doesn't deserve to be in equal value with Galchenyuk.

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
As a fan of a rival team, I don't have much of a reason to favor either team. That being said, I have to say that Duchene has higher value than Galchenyuk who's yet to be proven to be more than a second line winger(albeit an effective one) during his tenure. Duchene has number one center potential for Ottawa given his past accomplishments and his strong finish to the season. If I'm Ottawa, I avoid trading Duchene who's value is probably at an all time low after a slow initial adjustment period. I also believe that if Duchene's play from the later portion of the season carries over into next year and the Senators are still out of a playoff spot come the deadline, they would likely get far more for him than what they could get at draft.

Reactions: Deku

ismelofhockey

Oct 22, 2017
If the Sens trade Duchene, they are going for a full rebuild as their top centre would be Pageau.
So in this scenario Galchenyuk would not be a valuable piece. They would prefer picks and prospects. So start with the 3rd OA and add from there to make it worth a full rebuild for Ottawa.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
Duchene after a slow start in Ottawa put up 43 points in his final 44 games.

Blaming him for Ottawa's failure is wrong..
Not to mention, during his slow start (first 20 games) he was still top 3 in scoring amongst Sens forwards.

As for the trade, I wouldn't consider it. Nowhere near appealing. Duchene will be a big part of the team moving forward and I don't think you'll find many Sens fans who are disappointed with him.

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA
Somewhat of a #1 Center
Ottawa Acquires:
Alex Galchenyuk
3rd Pick
Montreal Acquires:
Matt Duchene
4th Pick

Does this make sense? Does this work?

To me it make no sense at all from Ottawa. They are already short at center so no chance they move their top center unless someone is offering an upgrade, and this surely is not that.

Reactions: Karlstrobe

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Meh. Habs terrible mismanaged Galchenyuk but if they had played him at center where he is far better offensively (and defensively) with good play-driving wingers and just accepted the defensive lapses, he'd probably have a similar impact as Duchene. If you don't consider contracts, this would probably make great sense for the Habs: get a high-end center and draft a left-handed, fast, skilled defenseman at 4 - their two biggest needs. Duchene's new contract and older age scare me but I think he had a good year in Ottawa and his perceived value is probably lower than it should be.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

KnuckChuckinTkachuk

Give'yer balls a tug
Jan 23, 2011
Somewhat of a #1 Center
Ottawa Acquires:
Alex Galchenyuk
3rd Pick
Montreal Acquires:
Matt Duchene
4th Pick

Does this make sense? Does this work?

Essentially it comes down to:

Galchenyuk + Zadina or Duchene + Tkachuk/Hughes/Wahlstrom/Bouchard etc....

I take the latter 10/10. Don't need a head case like Galchy on the Sens while removing our only good C in the process..

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
If we go by how most Habs fans value Pacioretty and consider that Duchene>>>Pacioretty then if you drop the 4th overall pick from this proposal it's probably closer to fair than the op.

More reasonably would probably be the 3rd overall straight up but I don't think Montreal should do it.

KnuckChuckinTkachuk

Give'yer balls a tug
Jan 23, 2011
If we go by how most Habs fans value Pacioretty and consider that Duchene>>>Pacioretty then if you drop the 4th overall pick from this proposal it's probably closer to fair than the op.

More reasonably would probably be the 3rd overall straight up but I don't think Montreal should do it.

Other than the 3rd overall there isn't much within the Habs org that I would want in a return for Duchene. Prospect pool is bottom of the league and the players on the team now are not appealing what so ever. Bad trading partners and Habs would have to over pay for Duchene (not interested in Pacio either).

harrisb

Oct 6, 2009
Alternate proposal, Zack Smith for Gallagher, instantly your #2 centre lol

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
If the Sens trade Duchene, they are going for a full rebuild as their top centre would be Pageau.
So in this scenario Galchenyuk would not be a valuable piece. They would prefer picks and prospects. So start with the 3rd OA and add from there to make it worth a full rebuild for Ottawa.

LOL Duchene worth the 3rd overall and more? Please.

ismelofhockey

Oct 22, 2017
LOL Duchene worth the 3rd overall and more? Please.

Maybe you should read my post again. I didn't say that's what he's worth. I said that's what a full rebuild will be worth. Colorado owns the Sens's 2019 1st rd pick. If they trade Duchene to Montreal, where do you think that pick will end up? Do you think Karlsson will stick around on a team with no top 6 centre and no top 5 pick? Trading Duchene would be a terrible move on its own, let alone trading him to a division rival starved for centres.

But actually I am going to push back on the idea that he's not worth a 3rd OA pick. Duchene himself was a 3rd OA in 2009. A player like Duchene is what you hope a 3rd OA becomes. These are the 3rd OA drafted since 2010. How many would you want to acquire for your team if the price were Duchene?
Gudbranson, Huberdeau, Galchenyuk, Drouin, Draisaitl, D.Strome, Dubois, Heiskanen

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Ya no he is not worth a 3rd overall even in your weird scenario of "starting a rebuild". He is a competent first line center who is always up and down and has been so since he entered the league. Also his draft position from 9 years ago does not decide his value today.

And I would take most of them over him.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad