Proposal: Duchene to Montreal

KnuckChuckinTkachuk

Give'yer balls a tug
Jan 23, 2011
Ya no he is not worth a 3rd overall even in your weird scenario of "starting a rebuild". He is a competent first line center who is always up and down and has been so since he entered the league. Also his draft position from 9 years ago does not decide his value today.

And I would take most of them over him.

And by most I hope you mean only Huberdeau, Draisaitl and Dubois (and maybeeee Heiskanen but not yet, not proven). So roughly 38%....

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
So then please state who would take over Duchene out of that list...... unless you were just saying **** for the sake of it because that's what it sure felt like.

Well for starters I'd take Turris over him...you know the guy he was traded for. Strome is too young and his first season as a pro was inconclusive with good AHL productions but meh in the NHL. Because of his youth and Duchene's contract, if I am the Habs right now I would consider him first. Heiskanen for sure, looks like a great young dman, had a fine season in Europe more than doubling his production. Drouin is way more talented but a tab more of a headcase and is being misused by the Habs, should be on the wing not center, so it's a wash.

Why only look at other third overall picks? From his draft alone, I would take a few guys that were drafted after him and the same with the drafts since.

Duchene is a good center but not worth a third overall from a rebuilding team like Montreal. He will be about 9-10 years older than the selection and on an much more expensive contract.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
I think montreal would look markedly better as a team if they actually got someone who could play a 1C role - even if they werent an elite or superstar 1C. That being said, Duchene only having one year until he bolts is a tough pill to swallow.

Ottawa probably cant make this trade just for the pure fact that they need to save face and trading Duchene after paying so much to acquire him would be a poor look.

KnuckChuckinTkachuk

Give'yer balls a tug
Jan 23, 2011
Well for starters I'd take Turris over him...you know the guy he was traded for. Strome is too young and his first season as a pro was inconclusive with good AHL productions but meh in the NHL. Because of his youth and Duchene's contract, if I am the Habs right now I would consider him first. Heiskanen for sure, looks like a great young dman, had a fine season in Europe more than doubling his production. Drouin is way more talented but a tab more of a headcase and is being misused by the Habs, should be on the wing not center, so it's a wash.

Why only look at other third overall picks? From his draft alone, I would take a few guys that were drafted after him and the same with the drafts since.

Duchene is a good center but not worth a third overall from a rebuilding team like Montreal. He will be about 9-10 years older than the selection and on an much more expensive contract.

I was going to do a detailed reply but seeing how you rank Turris, Drouin, Strome and Heiskanen (with 0 NA games played) ahead of Duchene I won't bother..

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA

Duchenes rookie year as an 18/19 year old was better than most of those guys have ever had, even the “way more talented” Drouin. I get a team in Montreal’s position balking at sending a 3rd OA for him due to his age, but Duchene is better than most 3OA’s.

And you only look at the 3OA because if you get to select from a pool of 207 players with the benefit of hindsight, you can find a better player than just about anyone.

Reactions: TkachukNorris79

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
Galchenyuk is more focused on taking pictures in Yeezy shoes and getting tattoos for hypebeast photo shoots than he is on hockey. Pass

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
....really is that all you got?

Sorry, here's more

He can't play center
He refuses to backcheck
He can't play below the dots in his own zone
His conditioning is poor
His attitude has question marks
He is poorly influenced by his family
He has been damaged by the pressure and environment of Montreal

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Somewhat of a #1 Center
Ottawa Acquires:
Alex Galchenyuk
3rd Pick
Montreal Acquires:
Matt Duchene
4th Pick

Does this make sense? Does this work?
No it does not. The difference between Duchene and Galchenyuk isn't nearly the same as the difference between a 3rd and a 4th round pick.

pown

We are team
Oct 12, 2013
Ottawa
Yikes, terrible for ottawa

Also ottawa needs to make the playoffs next year since they dont have their first round pick, how does this move make them better? galch is not better then duchene and hes not even a centre

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Sorry, here's more

He can't play center
He refuses to backcheck
He can't play below the dots in his own zone
His conditioning is poor
His attitude has question marks
He is poorly influenced by his family
He has been damaged by the pressure and environment of Montreal
Ya no, you are full of crap. Such stupid platitudes and generalizations.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cenzo_

Dec 11, 2006
Montreal
Lmao, no....
Duchene >>>> Galchenyuk (you'll be in the minority of people who think otherwise)

Well well well funny how any Pacioretty trade his value is so low since he is UFA next year but that does not apply to other players?

I would agree that Duchene plays the more important position. However Duchene has one year left at $6M versus Galchenyuk with 2 year left at $4.9M. In the last 3 years Duchene had 159 pts vs 151 pts for Galchenyuk so the offensive contribution is quite similar. Galchenyuk is also 3 yrs younger at 24 so there are greater chances that he improves than Duchene does.

Some mention attitude. Duchene for sure had a terrible attitude in his last year at Colorado, publicly requested a trade and his team finally starting playing great once he left so Galchenyuk's attitude is definitely not worst.

Lastly, Galchenyuk did play 1/3 of a season as the Habs 1C and was just about pts per game before getting a serious knee injury. At his 1st return he ended up playing a few games and had to stop due to the same injury not having heeled right and finally after that he was out of shape and struggle at the center position and was moved to wing. That Same year Therrien was replaced by Julien who never gave him a chance at center. All to say that Galchenyuk has played center a little while producing quite well offensively.

All this things considered it is a real joke that Duchene is >>>> Galchenyuk but hey he is a Habs so he sucks right.....

Last edited:

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Sens don't seem interested in Galchenyuk why not just keep it 3ov for Duchene?

Ottawa sets themselves up for 2 blue chippers and Montreal gets the top 6 centre they need.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad