Proposal: Duchene to CGY

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
I was thinking about this earlier today actually. Would Ottawa be interested in a Duchene/Stone for Lindholm swap? I actually like Lindholm but one of those two might fill out our roster better, and this will help make the cap work out. Ottawa gets a young player who still has room to grow, is swedish, and has team control for many years at a reasonable cap hit.

Calgary will probably want to see what Lindholm is like for a bit longer, but I could see it potentially working out.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I was thinking about this earlier today actually. Would Ottawa be interested in a Duchene/Stone for Lindholm swap? I actually like Lindholm but one of those two might fill out our roster better, and this will help make the cap work out. Ottawa gets a young player who still has room to grow, is swedish, and has team control for many years at a reasonable cap hit.

Calgary will probably want to see what Lindholm is like for a bit longer, but I could see it potentially working out.

We just signed Lindholm on a sweetheart of a deal. No way we move him.

Calgary and Ottawa are not good trading partners. We already spent $ in free agency, we currently are not in the market for pending UFA’s and trading for them.

1) Calgary must evaluate how the new roster fares before making a trade
2) We can just simply wait until the 2019 offseason to have a crack at one of these two if available.

Perhaps a top forward gets a major injury that requires us to pay a little bit of assets for Stone or Duchene. We can’t do that when we haven’t played a game yet. Don’t want 2018 1st 2.0 happening.

Reactions: Flames Fanatic

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Calgary does not need Duchene, Calgary needs goaltending which Ottawa unfortunately don't have(if they did we would have ripped them off.) If Calgary is going for anyone on the Sens, it is Mark Stone.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Calgary does not need Duchene, Calgary needs goaltending which Ottawa unfortunately don't have(if they did we would have ripped them off.) If Calgary is going for anyone on the Sens, it is Mark Stone.

We know Tree has been in on Matt Duchene for a little while now.
I won't be surprised if we're one of the teams aggressively in on him this offseason.

Reactions: viper0220

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
We just signed Lindholm on a sweetheart of a deal. No way we move him.

Calgary and Ottawa are not good trading partners. We already spent $ in free agency, we currently are not in the market for pending UFA’s and trading for them.

1) Calgary must evaluate how the new roster fares before making a trade
2) We can just simply wait until the 2019 offseason to have a crack at one of these two if available.

Perhaps a top forward gets a major injury that requires us to pay a little bit of assets for Stone or Duchene. We can’t do that when we haven’t played a game yet. Don’t want 2018 1st 2.0 happening.

I pretty much said exactly this in my post. However, the only asset we have that is both valuable enough to evoke interest for a player like Duchene or Stone, and provides enough cap room to fit one of them and consider resigning them, is Lindholm.

I agree we need a goalie more than anything, but if we (flames fans) keep creating proposals to get either Duchene or Stone, might as well put our cards on the table and be honest about it.

Flyerfan52

May 3, 2012
Winnipeg
Dillon Dube, Sam Bennett, a 2019 1st and Oliver Kylington to the Sens for Duchene and a mid level prospect.
Way too much for 1 year of Duchene (& I've liked him since junior) who the Flames don't have cap room to re-sign.
In fact with them only sending over 2 ELCs & Bennett they would be hard pressed to do that 1 year add.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
It seems although as if it would be a lesser cost to acquire Duchene than Stone.
Adding Duchene would allow Calgary to really have some of the best Center depth in he league with Monahan, Duchene, Backlund, Ryan.

CGY trades: Michael Stone, Sam Bennett, Oliver Kylington & a 2nd round pick.

OTT trades: Duchene.

Bottom pairing dman, bottom 6 winger, B prospect with question marks and a 2nd?

Seems like an Ottawa-style trade!

Reactions: Potty John

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Ottawa fans are in for a rude awakening if they think any team will match their hilarious initial overpayment for Duchene.

As a upcoming free agent, he'll garner the standard first round pick, mediocre roster plus and B or C level prospect. Forget about getting a player like Bennett or Kylington in return; think much lower.

Expecting top prospects like Dube plus plus plus is just setting yourself up for disappointment.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I don't see how we can fit Duchene in our long term plans. I'm more inclined to believe several other Pacific teams could be the ones to make it happen over us.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
I think the offer in the OP is good. Maybe make the 2nd a conditional 1st.
ROR with term got a B+ prospect and a first even though we took on two cap dumps...

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
Calgary doesn't need and can't afford a rental at this point. This package is way more than I would give for a rental, but for a signed Duchene it's not enough. Either way I'd rather let the season play out before I make a move like this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad