Proposal: Duchene to Calgary

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
Don't know if the Flames really need him, scoring isn't a problem. Plus Treliving spent the summer cleaning up the dressing room so to speak, they don't need a guy that has basically come across as negative to both his teams.

Plus I don't think there's a chance that Duchene is going to do anything but test free agency.

flamesforcup

Sep 5, 2017
Yeah, what coach doesn't want a player to talk **** behind his back with rookies?

I honestly feel like Duchene's value skyrocketed.
lol i just feel it isnt at rock bottom value either. Sure it has dropped a bit but im sure teams are still willing to pay for a top 6 centre

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
People need to understand that when Duchene says “Here’s the other thing, too. We don’t change anything, ever. So why do we even have a meeting? I haven’t paid attention in three weeks.” he is probably not the only player in the room that stopped caring about the PK meetings if nothing ever changed, specially if our PK% is 29th in the league and our GAA is 31st and they haven't tried to change anything or a new coach.

So when you're unhappy with your boss it's ok to just stop caring about your job? Is that acceptable at your place of employment? Why would it be OK for a multimillionaire athlete?

Duchene doesn't seem to have a winner's mentality, and I suspected that long before this most recent episode. Wouldn't want him on my team.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
Everyone is bashing the coach in the video. Duchene is the only one who tells on himself for not putting in the work.
This is what people are missing.
It's not that he's venting and bashing his boss. Everyone does that.
It's that he's admitting to insubordination.
And doing so in front of impressionable rookies.

Hard pass for me.

Pavlikovsky

May 31, 2013
Gatineau, QC
So when you're unhappy with your boss it's ok to just stop caring about your job? Is that acceptable at your place of employment? Why would it be OK for a multimillionaire athlete?

Duchene doesn't seem to have a winner's mentality, and I suspected that long before this most recent episode. Wouldn't want him on my team.

While not "acceptable" not caring about your job because you're unhappy with your Boss is a extremely common, i'm sure the workers at the Amazon warehouses in 35 degree Celsius heat love their bosses hounding them to remember to keep the brakes to the minimum allotted by law at the weekly staff meetings.

He still very much cares about his job, only thing he doesn't care about at the moment is a bad PK system that has not been changed for the last 3 years, and he already knows how to do in his sleep.

From the sounds of it the PK coach is uninterested/unqualified in his job as well by how Wideman described it, wonder why no one is going after the coach if multiple players have a problem with it.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
It’s one thing to do it silently but this thing going public when you already have rumor of having a bad attitude and bringing down your coaching staff like that? + saying you haven’t been listening meeting for the last 3 weeks. Thats bad as hell. This is a professional team, not some junior ****!

Having a tape that was secretly recorded released to the media is going public?

Players talk like this about coaches pretty much every day and guess what, coaches talk about players like that too.

Reactions: bobholly39

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
If Sens can extend him decent term, like 4-5 yrs, okay, otherwise have to admit it was a costly gamble, and must sell at market return than take nothing if he likely walks, rather than capitulate to Sens offer.

Market varies with team.
It is not a sin to wanna play for a winner, nor to be critical of staff;
however, that is done ambiguously, not open cause otherwise can feed team dissension.
Still, you will have a small core of suitors, but they want to pay their price, not max you hope to command.

Possible others are a (better) fit, but first that comes to mind are Habs.

If Price is willing to go, he has value, and him moving would enable Montreal to have adequate cap to both control the term but also give Duke enough $ to make him happy camper.

something around
Duke + sweetener
for
Price and conditional 1st in 2020 if Duchene extends

something like that works on paper, esp. since Habs have a good G prospect not that far away, can stopgap a yr if nec.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Having a tape that was secretly recorded released to the media is going public?

Players talk like this about coaches pretty much every day and guess what, coaches talk about players like that too.

I think I 75% agree here. I think the real red flag though, the other 25%, is the players saying they're not listening for days at a time. Although I'm not even sure I hold that against them. Their points seem legit. But, as an older guy on the team, I do think there has to be a little bit of an onus on Duchene to be a little bit more of a leader than is shown here.

I don't think we can draw too many conclusions because it's a snippet. It's guys on a bad team who know their team is bad, blowing off a little steam. I don't think it's damning of Duchene or anything, but it doesn't really reflect well on him either.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
It's on youtube now too. I finally caught it just this morning.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
ITT is a bunch of lapdogs who have never said anything bad about their boss at a pub. Get off your high horse.

Reactions: WhatWhat

strictlyrandy

Sep 9, 2013
Colorado
The problem isn't that they complained about management. The problem is that they did it beyond closed doors. Paid athletes complaining about the organization they represent to some stranger is a bad look. That part of the leadership group (Duchene) apparently led the way is a huge problem.

I don't go to a bar, tell a stranger what company I work for, then proceed to complain about their incompetent behaviors. They're professionals and should have kept it behind closed doors.

The other issue at hand is Duchene saying he checked out weeks ago. That's a really bad look for a guy that is supposed to set the example and be a leader.

This will have an effect on Duchene's value to a team and scare them off.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
The thing is... I agree with everything those guys were saying. It's embarrassing for the coach but really those guys were speaking the truth. That was a candid moment from real people and I must admit I like them better for it.

LetsGoFlames

Drop the puck!
Dec 18, 2011
Weyburn, Sk
No interest in Duchene. I honestly don't think this video is an absolute disaster or anything like that. I assume payers talk amongst themselves like this, or worse, all the time. It's normal for workers to criticize their bosses. But it was dumb to do it with anyone who's not in their circle present. And thus, it got out. I also agree that given the presence of younger players it shows poor leadership qualities.

However, I haven't liked Duchene as a player for a long time. Besides that, we don't need him on LW or at C, so I don't see the fit. I also have no interest in moving a 1st round pick and prefer what Bennett brings to the team for the price, over what Duchene could bring at his price, plus compensation. I think Calgary can safely be taken off any list of possible Duchene destinations. It's simply a poor fit.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
What would Calgary do with Duchene? He doesn't really look like a fit.

They're already pretty deep as far as forwards. Plus the contract and lack of defence he brings.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
What would Calgary do with Duchene? He doesn't really look like a fit.

They're already pretty deep as far as forwards. Plus the contract and lack of defence he brings.

He is also a pending UFA. Is he going to sign in Calgary? Are they in a position solid enough to trade for rentals?

I think he makes more sense on a team like Carolina. They might entice him to sign long term, they have the cap space and they could use a top flight 2C.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad