Rumor: DUCHENE THREAD: Garrioch: Sens "aggressively" pursuing Duchene

Status
Not open for further replies.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Habs can actually make it work but it'll cost us. Poehling, Mete/juulsen and 2018 1st

That offer would get beat really easily by most other team interested in Duchene.

Well if the Habs fans get to declare Mete untouchable based off of a few pre-season games and training camp, Avs fans certainly get to be hopeful when it comes to Yakupov.

I also think it's dumb when Habs fans are doing that :laugh:

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Wait, did someone just say that Yakupov might work with the Avs? Yakupov is an absolute trainwreck of a player, he wouldn't even be in this league anymore if not for being a 1st overall pick :laugh:

And no, Yakupov having 3 points against a sieve of a goalie in Lehtonen in a preseason game doesn't change my opinion on Yakupov. He's an atrocious player.

Last night doesn't change my opinion of him either. But, it's not impossible for him to surprise everyone and actually have some hockey skills.

VoynovsParoleOfficer

Jun 13, 2015
The team was a playoff bubble team two years ago. Last year, everything went wrong. If they return to form with everyone healthy, and the youth movement produces a few good pieces this season, a wild card spot isn't completely out of the question.

THIS....THIS..THIS...THIS

CBJ was ranked 29th out of 30 by most experts at this exact time last year and they were what 4th in the league? anything is possible

Avs dont even have a bottom 5 roster it would shock me less if they made it over LVGK,AZ,VAN,NJ or LA

Azrael89

Feb 13, 2017
Well if the Habs fans get to declare Mete untouchable based off of a few pre-season games and training camp, Avs fans certainly get to be hopeful when it comes to Yakupov.

He has been a positive standout for the Avs so far and looked very good next to Duchene. Will that carry over and translate to the regular season?

Probably not. I personally don't think it will work out in the end and he probably will follow Grigo to the KHL in the next year or two. But who knows. He will get every chance he can playing in the top6 with decent linemates. Maybe that and the wakeup call of facing the possibility of losing your shot at staying in the NHL might make something click with him. Stranger things have happened...

He has looked much improved for the Avs so far atleast.
So did Grigorenko last year for the Avs and we all know how that ended but why even follow training camp and pre-season at all if not to get your hopes of for a couple of players?

Habs fans also like to leave out key details, such as the fact that while Mete looks damn good, he's also been chained to Shea Weber for the majority of his ice time.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Wait, did someone just say that Yakupov might work with the Avs? Yakupov is an absolute trainwreck of a player, he wouldn't even be in this league anymore if not for being a 1st overall pick :laugh:

And no, Yakupov having 3 points against a sieve of a goalie in Lehtonen in a preseason game doesn't change my opinion on Yakupov. He's an atrocious player.

Yea they said that about Justin Schultz as well...This is a guy that scored 17 goals and 31 points in 48 games in his rookie season, he obviously has skills, is not that insane for him to finally find his game given the chance.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Yea they said that about Justin Schultz as well...This is a guy that scored 17 goals and 31 points in 48 games in his rookie season, he obviously has skills, is not that insane for him to finally find his game given the chance.

No they didn't. Schultz was a skilled player that had absolutely no confidence after being destroyed by the Oilers. Yakupov is just a dumb as rocks player who is just bad at hockey. What you saw in 2013 was just an unsustainable run for him, seeing how he shot at 21% that year and hasn't topped 35 points since. Hell, he only had 9 points in 40 games last year with the Blues. He's just a bad player.

Yakupov has shot at 7.6% in the 4 seasons after his rookie year, where he shot 21%. You have to be an especially bad player to have that low of a shooting% over that long of a timeframe. With that shooting% in his rookie year, he would have had 6 goals and 20 points in 48 games, which is a lot more in line with what he has done in every other season (outside of last year with the Blues).

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
No they didn't. Schultz was a skilled player that had absolutely no confidence after being destroyed by the Oilers. Yakupov is just a dumb as rocks player who is just bad at hockey. What you saw in 2013 was just an unsustainable run for him, seeing how he shot at 21% that year and hasn't topped 35 points since. Hell, he only had 9 points in 40 games last year with the Blues. He's just a bad player.

Yakupov has shot at 7.6% in the 4 seasons after his rookie year, where he shot 21%. You have to be an especially bad player to have that low of a shooting% over that long of a timeframe. With that shooting% in his rookie year, he would have had 6 goals and 20 points in 48 games, which is a lot more in line with what he has done in every other season (outside of last year with the Blues).

Yakupov was a skilled player that had absolutely no confidence after being destroyed by the Oilers. Schultz is just a dumb as rocks player who is just bad at hockey.

See what I did there? Let's be real here, if Schultz was that highly thought of at the time the Penguins wouldn't have gotten him for a bag of pucks.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Yakupov was a skilled player that had absolutely no confidence after being destroyed by the Oilers. Schultz is just a dumb as rocks player who is just bad at hockey.

See what I did there?

Just repeating what I said instead of actually debating what I said doesn't prove your point. That's just a "I know you are, but what am I" argument.

Let's be real here, if Schultz was that highly thought of at the time the Penguins wouldn't have gotten him for a bag of pucks.

Being highly thought of=/=good.

Yakupov is just a bad hockey player. That's the reality of it. Schultz had 2 or 3 good seasons before his last year in Edmonton, at least in the lens of him being a 2nd pair OFD playing in too high of a role. He fell off a cliff in his last year, but that's because he both quit on the Oilers and he had no confidence. Yakupov had 1 unsustainable season and sucked in every other season.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado

You're describing why the Avs were able to sign him as a free agent for next to nothing. But, none of this proves that it's utterly impossible for him to play better with Duchene than he did with his previous teams. Duchene does have a history of developing chemistry with players and elevating their games. Maybe lightning strikes again.

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg

See what I did there? Let's be real here, if Schultz was that highly thought of at the time the Penguins wouldn't have gotten him for a bag of pucks.

I watched both players as a oiler fan and the oilers missed the boat on both players. Look at us now, we need a scoring RW and a puck moving RD. The problem was they just didn't work out for us and needed a change of scenery to reset in. I am happy Schultz did well and I hope Yakupov turns it around as well. They were good players ruined for us by bad coaches

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
You're describing why the Avs were able to sign him as a free agent for next to nothing. But, none of this proves that it's utterly impossible for him to play better with Duchene than he did with his previous teams. Duchene does have a history of developing chemistry with players and elevating their games. Maybe lightning strikes again.

It's entirely possible for him to play better with Duchene than any of his other teams. He was on a mess of a franchise with Edmonton and was played on the 4th line for St. Louis. I'd be surprised for him to not do better, because it would have to go pretty bad for him to do worse.

I think if he can round out his game, he can be an okay 3rd liner that you can play in the top-6 if he has chemistry with one of your top-6 forwards. The issues I see with him are he's still really bad defensively and has no hockey IQ to speak of. If he fixes his defensive game, I think he wouldn't be an atrocious hockey player anymore. He can probably be a triggerman to a good playmaking center, which Duchene is, but he'd only be producing because of who he's with, not because he's good. He's a more skilled Rico Fata. The thing that amazes me with him is for how good of a shot he has, I have no idea how he has shot under 10% for 4 straight seasons.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
It's entirely possible for him to play better with Duchene than any of his other teams. He was on a mess of a franchise with Edmonton and was played on the 4th line for St. Louis. I'd be surprised for him to not do better, because it would have to go pretty bad for him to do worse.

I think if he can round out his game, he can be an okay 3rd liner that you can play in the top-6 if he has chemistry with one of your top-6 forwards. The issues I see with him are he's still really bad defensively and has no hockey IQ to speak of. He can probably be a triggerman to a good playmaking center, which Duchene is, but he'd only be producing because of who he's with, not because he's good. He's a more skilled Rico Fata.

Compared to having Duchene play more shifts with Matt Nieto than anyone else, like he did last year, I'll take a more skilled Rico Fata every day of the week. He's obviously not anywhere close to perfect, but he's potentially better than the alternatives. Or, I guess we could have kept Rene Bourque.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
THIS....THIS..THIS...THIS

CBJ was ranked 29th out of 30 by most experts at this exact time last year and they were what 4th in the league? anything is possible

Avs dont even have a bottom 5 roster it would shock me less if they made it over LVGK,AZ,VAN,NJ or LA

I can see things "going right" for the Avs, but the CBJ comment is very disingenuous. Many had them highly rated for years and watched them disappoint., Further, I don't see where people had them ranked "29th" going into last season, except maybe a few trolls.

The issue with CBJ was always "when will they put it together because they ahve a great team". More like the Jets than the Avs. CBJ had a Vezina goalie, a deep offense, and a ton of talent on defense. The Avs have holes throughout their roster.

VoynovsParoleOfficer

Jun 13, 2015
I can see things "going right" for the Avs, but the CBJ comment is very disingenuous. Many had them highly rated for years and watched them disappoint., Further, I don't see where people had them ranked "29th" going into last season, except maybe a few trolls.

The issue with CBJ was always "when will they put it together because they ahve a great team". More like the Jets than the Avs. CBJ had a Vezina goalie, a deep offense, and a ton of talent on defense. The Avs have holes throughout their roster.

hmmm idk im gonna dig in the dumpster and see what i find but CBJ was coming off a 70 point season and had what everyone perceived as crazy turmoil with torts leading the force, i remember majority of websites projecting them last in METRO, if everything goes above par, you stay healthy and you get good goaltending you can do anything if you have NHL skill in your lineup which avs do

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado

Varlamov, if he's healthy and on his game, if a Vezina caliber G. There are a lot of unknowns with the forwards, but there are some talented young guys who might be ready to contribute. The left side of the D is really the only hole, but there are some younger guys with long shot potential. If a few things go right, there's no reason the Avs can't surprise people.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
Here's what I don't get.

Last season when there was Duchene to Ottawa talk, I understood why they didn't want Methot. He was 32 and only signed for two more years at 5M. They were trying to rebuild, etc.. plus, they already had Beauchemin and Methot doesn't put up a lot of points.

Phaneuf though, is exactly what they needed, so why aren't they all over him? A hard-nosed veteran LHD, two-way defense-man signed long-term. He turned Ottawa around from drafting top-10 to game-7 overtime, conference finals with the champs.

I mean, they have 29 yr old Erik Johnson. He's a bit injury prone and making 6M for 6 years. Avs fans call him a core piece and vital to the success of the team. He'll be 35 or so when his contract ends.

Phaneuf is an ironman, arguably a better player, is 32 and signed for 4 years at 7M and most Avs fans seem to think it would be some huge albatross to take on his contract. He'll be 36 when his contract ends. Phaneuf's contract is also back-diving so he isn't even making 7M AND the Avs are nowhere near the cap.

Que?

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Here's what I don't get.

Last season when there was Duchene to Ottawa talk, I understood why they didn't want Methot. He was 32 and only signed for two more years at 5M. They were trying to rebuild, etc.. plus, they already had Beauchemin and Methot doesn't put up a lot of points.

Phaneuf though, is exactly what they needed, so why aren't they all over him? A hard-nosed veteran LHD, two-way defense-man signed long-term. He turned Ottawa around from drafting top-10 to game-7 overtime, conference finals with the champs.

I mean, they have 29 yr old Erik Johnson. He's a bit injury prone and making 6M for 6 years. Avs fans call him a core piece and vital to the success of the team. He'll be 35 or so when his contract ends.

Phaneuf is an ironman, arguably a better player, is 32 and signed for 4 years at 7M and most Avs fans seem to think it would be some huge albatross to take on his contract. He'll be 36 when his contract ends. Phaneuf's contract is also back-diving so he isn't even making 7M AND the Avs are nowhere near the cap.

Que?

So, you get that they didn't want Methot because he's 32, but they should want Phaneuf, who's 32? How does that make any sense?

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Here's what I don't get.

Que?

Phaneuf is the last thing this team needs.

Quit talking yourself into a non-sensical deal that would only benefit one team:
Ottawa.

EJ is a fine at his age as the rock to help out our youth during our youth movement.
Phaneuf?
Hell no.

That contract is ugly.

If you want to dump him on us, be prepared to lose Chabot.
Without Chabot included the Avs won't do you a favor and take that ugly ass contract.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
Phaneuf is the last thing this team needs.

Quit talking yourself into a non-sensical deal that would only benefit one team:
Ottawa.

EJ is a fine at his age as the rock to help out our youth during our youth movement.
Phaneuf?
Hell no.

That contract is ugly.

If you want to dump him on us, be prepared to lose Chabot.
Without Chabot included the Avs won't do you a favor and take that ugly ass contract.

Huh?

I never suggested a trade. I just asked why Avs were turning up their noses at Phaneuf. Take a pill.

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
Here's what I don't get.

Que?

As a Sens fan, not following your argument. Why would a rebuilding team want Phaneuf?

I guarantee you Joe Sakic will not agree to a deal involving Phaneuf unless it includes Chabot - which it won't.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
So, you get that they didn't want Methot because he's 32, but they should want Phaneuf, who's 32? How does that make any sense?

Phaneuf is signed for 4 more years instead of 2 more years, wasn't as risky because he wasn't linked to Karlsson like Methot was, and has more offensive game.

Again, it was more a question of "I don't understand why Avs are putting EJ on a pedestal and calling Phaneuf a cap dump".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad