Dreger: Duchene/Ottawa Contract Talks are Beginning to Sour

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Without a doubt. CBJ is starving for a 2C and can salvage Sedlak, Nash, is Wennberg for a center going back ++

I believe Duchene would be perfect for the CBJ. Just can't see him extending. He'll get the team leadership attention he craves and $$$.

Still believe it'll NSH or Habs will be his destinations.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
To be fair, I wager if he was playing for a team like Tampa, Toronto or Nashville, he'd consider taking less. For the dumpster fire Ottawa has become, why would you take anything less than maximum free agent value? He can easily command 9-10M$ from teams willing to overpay.

Contracts are getting crazy but 9-10 is manic level for Duchene

Reactions: mflo77 and AvsFan29

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
Any team that signs Duchene to more than 8 mil is going to regret it, so even though I could understand him not wanting to sign for that with OTT based on the tumult there, if 8 is not even a starting point elsewhere, some team is going to make a huge mistake giving him 9+mil. Guy has 2 and half good seasons in 10 years, otherwise hes a 55-ish pt center, get outta here with 8 not even being a starting point.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

CalgarySnow

Oct 21, 2017
This seems very contradictory to what you’re actually posting. Im not even a fan of his but I feel the need to defend him from this onslaught.

10 million is absolutely insane, but that’s the market. Players don’t sign for what fans think they should make, they make what the market dictates. It’s all about supply and demand and a player of Duchene’s calibre is never on the open market, so he’ll be paid accordingly.

If a Johansen can get $8M two years ago in a non state tax city. Than I think a Duchene can get $10M+ in a Montreal who’s been center starved seemingly forever.
We already have a player who doesn’t up for a lot of games we don’t need another #1C or not. I seriously don’t see the hype with Duchene, it seems he’s living off a WJC reputation

CalgarySnow

Oct 21, 2017
I highly doubt he gets a 10m offer anywhere. I can see 8.5m, or maybe 9, and only because he's a great 2c.

If a player like Duchene can get 10m, I am curious what Matthews / Marner / Rantanen / Simmonds / Panarin / Stone / Karlsson will fetch. I know they aren't all UFA or playing the same position.

Considering Duchenes career, and age, even 8x7 is too high.

6.5-7 and he's a great 2c on any team.

Looking over Seguin’s problems this season is he better than Seguin? I don’t think he is

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
I believe Duchene would be perfect for the CBJ. Just can't see him extending. He'll get the team leadership attention he craves and $$$.

Still believe it'll NSH or Habs will be his destinations.

The leadership attention he craves? He seems like a guy who doesn’t want to be scrutinized or be The Guy on his team.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
The leadership attention he craves? He seems like a guy who doesn’t want to be scrutinized or be The Guy on his team.
Yah he's not good with scrutiny, and hasn't had any success being "the guy".

Limekiller

May 16, 2010
SF Bay Area
It really wouldn't surprise me if the Sharks acquired him. Doug Wilson obviously has a good relationship with Dorion, given recent trade history. (that or DW's jedi mind tricks work especially well). Plus, we know it's a very important thing to Melnyk that big name players get traded outside of the East, and Ottawa has a vested interest in the Sharks going to the Cup this year, given one of the add-ons to the EK65 trade. Given how miserly Melnyk is, I could definitely see him pushing Dorion to give the Sharks the best price, since it helps Ottawa in the long run to do so.

Not to mention, we're absolutely one of the teams where he would *not* be "the guy", and there'd be plenty of other players who'd get scrutinized ahead of him. So if that's actually important to Duchene, we certainly check off those boxes.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
It really wouldn't surprise me if the Sharks acquired him. Doug Wilson obviously has a good relationship with Dorion, given recent trade history. (that or DW's jedi mind tricks work especially well). Plus, we know it's a very important thing to Melnyk that big name players get traded outside of the East, and Ottawa has a vested interest in the Sharks going to the Cup this year, given one of the add-ons to the EK65 trade. Given how miserly Melnyk is, I could definitely see him pushing Dorion to give the Sharks the best price, since it helps Ottawa in the long run to do so.

Not to mention, we're absolutely one of the teams where he would *not* be "the guy", and there'd be plenty of other players who'd get scrutinized ahead of him. So if that's actually important to Duchene, we certainly check off those boxes.
This is just f***ing ridiculous. Some weird machination in someone’s mind. There’s no “good relationship”. Wilson humiliated Doriontwice in like 2 months. NHL deals clearly do not happen like this. Give SJ the best price because the Senators get a better draft pick lmao. Here, take Duchene for a 4th rounder I don’t even care.

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
Some team will pay him 9.5mil x 8 years and will regret it in year 2. He's going to decline so quickly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad