Dreger: Duchene/Ottawa Contract Talks are Beginning to Sour

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017

Unfortunately that's the best source I can get of Dreger saying it now, so my guess would be he made the comments on radio.

Allegedly Dreger's exact quote was: "If Eugene Melynk doesn't come off $8 million, Matt Duchene is not staying in Ottawa. Pretty simple."

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
This is not surprising. Not sure why anyone would chose to play for the dumpster fire that Melnyk has created. How can you possibly trust him as a player at this point? Especially Duchene, who has been in crappy situations his entire career (though I do believe he has always been a part of the problem). I have to believe that he is looking for a stable organization at this point.

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
So 9 then?

I think we would be looking for a first as a starter for return for him. But its like everything else the market could be weak plus our gm sucks.

Plus salary cap. If just junk comes back ill know my melnyk out has been worth it.

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
giphy.gif

Toronto makebeleifs

Jul 4, 2014
I can see duchene signing for around 8 aav. With melnyk though I doubt there would be any bonus structure or even an ntc for that matter. Speculation based on past history, but otherwise baseless. If duchene can't have a guarantee that he will be a core piece of the team going forward and job security (esp. Having a young family) I don't blame him for opting to look elsewhere, if that's what it comes to.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Mighty Makar

I hate this fu*ken team
May 24, 2016
47 points in 41 games playing on a separate line from the team's only other star-calibre forward, in a season leading up to a UFA summer?

Yeah, 8 mil is way below market on that.
Why would it be? He gets $9-10 easily on the open market. Maybe more. #1 C's are hard to come by.
$10M for Dutchy? Hahahahaha

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
8 million is probably ~1.5 million per year lower than he'll get on the open market.

9.5 x 7, with bonus incentives, from a team run well and competing

or

8 x 8, with little/no bonus incentives, from a rebuilding team, run and operated by the worst upper management in the league

Obviously Duchene walks away from that

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad