Friedman: Duchene Mega-Thread Pt. 1 - Ottawa fielding offers, NSH & CBJ interested; Duchene sitting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
He definitely won't make 6-7 per, probably half of that on a bridge deal, and even if he did, he would be a controlled asset RFA that could be traded whereas DeMelo will be a UFA who we either sign at a raise or let walk

Honestly wouldnt be surprised at all if DeMelo gets as much as a UFA as Sergachev does as an RFA

Ekblad got 7.5 for 8 years out of his ELC.

Sergachev is going to be able to ask for a massive raise. Then you factor how easy it is to squeeze Dorion since all he does has to through Eugene (toilet paper ain't free you know) and that if we had traded Karlsson for a package involving Sergachev, we would have had to keep him.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
I’ve been a Duchy fan for years and I’d love to finally have him on my team, but as stated earlier, it’s a high price to pay for a rental and his contract ask would be to much for them to fit with what else they need to do.
That being said, I think he’d be a great add for Montreal, but I honestly do t think he’d re-sign there after this season. To much media stupidity.

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
I still have hope he stays, if he leaves I'm saying Montreal or even maybe Sabers. Keep in mind he just had a kid... Its hard to suddenly pack up and move far.

If Sens offer him what he deserves he stays no question... But will they do that is where I loose hope.

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
What would Habs offer for him? Not so up to date with your prospects so can't really judge. But im curious.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Ekblad got 7.5 for 8 years out of his ELC.

Sergachev is going to be able to ask for a massive raise. Then you factor how easy it is to squeeze Dorion since all he does has to through Eugene (toilet paper ain't free you know) and that if we had traded Karlsson for a package involving Sergachev, we would have had to keep him.

Ekblad won the Calder and was a 1st overall pick AND was overpaid AND played top pair minutes right out the gate (Sergachev plays bottom pair role) AND was committed to long term, which is something we have never really done with RFAs... he also outproduced Sergachev despite being a more well-rounded player. Just watch, I doubt Sergachev gets more than 4m per year on his next contract

I hate Melnyk and think he's destroying our franchise but I just dont buy the rumour at all and no explanation I have heard makes it any more plausible to me. If you feel otherwise, I can respect that but to me it seems incredibly implausible

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
Its nothing but a simple gut feeling. But just as a bet and can cite this later right or wrong. Whether he finishes the season with Ottawa or not I could see him signing with a contender for 1-2 years to try and get one then sign bigger money. Probably wrong, because I am citing nothing, and just going off of gut feelings. But I could see it going down like that.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Its nothing but a simple gut feeling. But just as a bet and can cite this later right or wrong. Whether he finishes the season with Ottawa or not I could see him signing with a contender for 1-2 years to try and get one then sign bigger money. Probably wrong, because I am citing nothing, and just going off of gut feelings. But I could see it going down like that.

His agent is Tavares' agent.

Expect Duchene to sign a similar "lockout causing" contract ladden with insane bonuses.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018

With the recent birth of his son and the rollercoaster his career has been for the past few years I really get the sense that Duchene wants to settle down somewhere for at least the next several years

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008

The guy has been PPG for the last calendar year and is likely to be the best FA on the market (at the very least top-three). There is no better time for him to cash in then this off-season. I don't see any world where this guy takes anything less than 6 years.

Harvey Birdman

Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
His agent is Tavares' agent.

Expect Duchene to sign a similar "lockout causing" contract ladden with insane bonuses.
With the recent birth of his son and the rollercoaster his career has been for the past few years I really get the sense that Duchene wants to settle down somewhere for at least the next several years
The guy has been PPG for the last calendar year and is likely to be the best FA on the market (at the very least top-three). There is no better time for him to cash in then this off-season. I don't see any world where this guy takes anything less than 6 years.

Hey I am probably 100% wrong, just saying I have a gut feeling toward it. He'll probably get a big payday at term. Maybe its just what I want to see. Again. Probably 100% wrong. :laugh:

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
Hey I am probably 100% wrong, just saying I have a gut feeling toward it. He'll probably get a big payday at term. Maybe its just what I want to see. Again. Probably 100% wrong. :laugh:
No... I can see your point.
His kid was just born so taking 2 yrs to get his cup before he has to “settle” in one spot for family reasons makes sense.

Nashville at the trade deadline, then he'll sign long term in Montreal.
You have that backwards...

Harvey Birdman

Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
He'd be a great fit there too but you have to think their prospect capital is starting to dry up, the Penguins have been dealing picks and Prospects for years, which is fine because they have won several championships but at some point the prospect pool does dry up.

Pittsburgh has to be getting close to that
We are, again you have to keep pushing while we have prime core players. Such as Crosby, Malkin, and Letang. As well as players like Kessel, Dumolin, and Murray. But the prospect well is pretty dry. There are some undrafted guys in the system that show some promise on defense, but they will likely never develop beyond #5/6 guys. At best #4's. Then a handful of guys that look to develop into bottom 6 guys like Angello, Olund, Blueger along with some others. For all of our forward prospects its not realistic to say any of them will develop beyond that of a 3rd liner at the NHL level most likely potential 4th liners, pretty hard ceiling for the whole group. Then the group is rounded out by Jarry in goal. Not a whole lot there. Pretty barren cabinet.

We do have every pick in 21, and every pick except for a 2nd in 2020. Missing 3rd and 6th in the coming draft but have extra 4th and 7th rounders . So we have stuff we COULD trade. I don't know if we should be paying what it would cost to get Duchene though. Everyone want to collect hockey cards when their team is a contender and trade everything in a "shut up and take my money" kind of mindset. But that does not always work. You have to pick the right players at the right costs or at risky costs you are willing because you know the player fits the team.

I do not think Pittsburgh would be the team acquiring Duchene. Could they? Sure. Will they. They'd be putting a lot of the tradable poker chips they have remaining into the middle of the table to pull it off and the smarter move would be to keep doing complementary trades for the next few seasons that are more cost effective to try and get the core group of players names on the cup again.

Stripper

Mar 4, 2013
As a UFA? I can see him with an Habs jersey.

As a rental? Columbus, NY Islanders, Pittsburgh, Calgary, Winnipeg, San Jose, Vegas... I could also see him in Toronto, but it'll all depend on the price.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
What is the dollar figure for him comes summer? He'll most probably get max lenght since he's 28.
My guess would be between 8-9M... but it might be more since he's the top UFA forward available. Is there any team willing to offer 10M?

S3rkie

Jul 21, 2011
Denver, CO
I think he see's himself as "the guy" still. So I doubt he signs anywhere that doesn't offer him top line or at least a 1b situation which would obviously narrow down a lot of situations.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I still have hope he stays, if he leaves I'm saying Montreal or even maybe Sabres. Keep in mind he just had a kid... Its hard to suddenly pack up and move far.

If Sens offer him what he deserves he stays no question... But will they do that is where I loose hope.

Melnyk is the owner, the answer is no, no they won't

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
My answer is UFA, haha. From there it'll actually be very interesting to see where he chooses to go. He will have a wide range of options from being on a real cup contending team to getting paid big time. This will be the first time in his career he will be able to be in control of his future, and for a guy as talented as him to have been in such unique circumstances it will be a tough choice that should be interesting to see the conclusion to.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I have him signing with the NYI ,after they trade for him....The have cap space a good coach,and gm...Along with some good pieces already in place

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
As a UFA? I can see him with an Habs jersey.

As a rental? Columbus, NY Islanders, Pittsburgh, Calgary, Winnipeg, San Jose, Vegas... I could also see him in Toronto, but it'll all depend on the price.

Ottawa would NEVER trade him to Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad