Friedman: Duchene Mega-Thread Pt. 1 - Ottawa fielding offers, NSH & CBJ interested; Duchene sitting

Status
Not open for further replies.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Matt Duchene is going, I think we all know this the question is where? To me the 2 teams that make the most sense are Calgary and Winnipeg he would make both those center cores ridiculous and at 28 he's got AT LEAST 5 years left in him and probably 6 or 7

I think Duchene is a great fit for either team.

Mod edit:

Going to make this a Duchene megathread.

Last edited by a moderator:

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Pittsburgh. They apparently made a very serious push to get him out of Colorado.

They are probably going to be the only team to offer their first round pick and Dorion will take it so he can sell us the rebuild.

We aren't buying it though.

Reactions: DelusionalLeafsFan

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
Duchene isn't a good fit for Winnipeg. We can't afford his next contract going forward.

Aug 25, 2009
éal
Pittsburgh. They apparently made a very serious push to get him out of Colorado.

They are probably going to be the only team to offer their first round pick and Dorion will take it so he can sell us the rebuild.

Do you see Brassard going back to Ottawa as well? He have been underwhelming in Pittsburgh but always had success in Ottawa.

1st + Brassard + prospect? Olli Maata?

Reactions: Multigrain

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
I think it's pretty clear this guy is going to be dealt as a rental, so the talk of "not being able to sign him" is moot. This guy has the same agent as Tavares and has been pretty open about that process being intriguing to him. Now that he is a few months away from Free Agency I think the idea of a sign and trade is a pipe dream.

Bidding likely starts at a 1st round pick, your teams 3rd/4th best prospect and a low level roster player on an expiring contract. Anything more than that would be a bonus, anything less than that would be an atrocity on Dorion's behalf.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

He'd be a great fit there too but you have to think their prospect capital is starting to dry up, the Penguins have been dealing picks and Prospects for years, which is fine because they have won several championships but at some point the prospect pool does dry up.

Pittsburgh has to be getting close to that

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Do you see Brassard going back to Ottawa as well? He have been underwhelming in Pittsburgh but always had success in Ottawa.

I'm not sure that Ottawa would want Brassard back, he's fallen off a cliff in terms of production. However he isn't owed a lot of money and his contract up soon so that could work for Ottawa.

One of our insiders reported that Ottawa was on the verge of landing Sergachev for Karlsson but that Melnyk nixed it. I'd expect any trade involving Duchene would have almost no current money going back, just prospects.

[mod]

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I'm not sure that Ottawa would want Brassard back, he's fallen off a cliff in terms of production. However he isn't owed a lot of money and his contract up soon so that could work for Ottawa.

One of our insiders reported that Ottawa was on the verge of landing Sergachev for Karlsson but that Melnyk nixed it. I'd expect any trade involving Duchene would have almost no current money going back, just prospects.

[mod]

Why would he nix that?

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
He'd be a great fit there too but you have to think their prospect capital is starting to dry up, the Penguins have been dealing picks and Prospects for years, which is fine because they have won several championships but at some point the prospect pool does dry up.

True but as long as Crosby and Malkin are not slowing down, they might as well go for broke.

It doesn't make much sense to just wait for them to slow down.

Pittsburgh has a very good record with drafting goalies, I wouldn't be surprised to see Dorion try to get another one from Pitsburgh if this is where Duchene ends up.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
True but as long as Crosby and Malkin are not slowing down, they might as well go for broke.

It doesn't make much sense to just wait for them to slow down.

Pittsburgh has a very good record with drafting goalies, I wouldn't be surprised to see Dorion try to get another one from Pitsburgh if this is where Duchene ends up.

I don't disagree I just don't know they have the assets left to get him

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I don't disagree I just don't know they have the assets left to get him

Did you see the crap we got for generational dman Karlsson? Two decent prospects, two very mediocre players and a 2nd.

We'll take anything. This means it is very easy to negotiate with Dorion, which is why he always gets ****ed up the *** in trades.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal

As long as Sid and Geno are there with a healthy Letang, I don't really think they care much about pick and prospects

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Because Sergavech was due for a raise.

Melnyk is scum, he tried to get someone else to build an arena for the team and hoped he would be allowed to use it without paying rent.

Sergachev wasnt and still isnt due for a raise... he is basically on the same contract as DeMelo (+25k) right now except he is an RFA at the end whereas DeMelo is a UFA.... I hate Melnyk as much as the next guy but that rumour made no sense

No interest in Brassard as he is an impending UFA... not much interest in Maata, either... we don't really need LD

Reactions: BondraTime

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
Jets can't afford his next contract and shouldn't pay the price to acquire in my opinion

Reactions: BatVader

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Sergachev wasnt and still isnt due for a raise... he is basically on the same contract as DeMelo (+25k) right now except he is an RFA at the end whereas DeMelo is a UFA.... I hate Melnyk as much as the next guy but that rumour made no sense

But when the raise will be due he's going to go from making very little to making 6 or 7 per.

Melnyk can't afford that.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
But when the raise will be due he's going to go from making very little to making 6 or 7 per.

Melnyk can't afford that.

He definitely won't make 6-7 per, probably half of that on a bridge deal, and even if he did, he would be a controlled asset RFA that could be traded whereas DeMelo will be a UFA who we either sign at a raise or let walk

Honestly wouldnt be surprised at all if DeMelo gets as much as a UFA as Sergachev does as an RFA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->