GDT: "Duby Duby Doo" - Nashville Predators vs. Colorado Avalanche

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
The first goal DD hat stopped three point blank chances before the forth hit the net. Jones standing in front of him lookind bewildered. It was not all on Jones but someone has to chip the puck out in that flurry. The second goal was horrid not much of a screen the puck was plainly shot thru DD. The 3rd goal was the result of the first two, the entire team on its heels and a good team smashed them in the mouth.

We have been spoiled for a long time with competitive and winning teams, now the team is challenged in many areas and each night its a WAG to what is going to happen. The instability of Rinne being out plays more of a role than we can understand or the organization or players will admit.

The first 15 minutes of the game the Flames could have beat this team The last 40 the team was very competitive even entertaining. The point that Trotz dropped the f bombs on the team in the first was the turning point. It also points that the guy has not lost the team, so for those clammering for his demise take not of that. If you have the game recorded watch that sequence and notice how the team did respond.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
You and glenn are both missing my point, which is we don't have the goaltending to allow ourselves to battle back from a early deficit successfully even with a herculean effort. It was clear to me the way we played the second that if we could hold colorado at three we had a decent chance of coming back and at least tying the game. The problem is we don't have a tender who can hold a team scoreless for 2+ periods reliably to allow the comeback. Even if Rinne had given up all three first period goals, once the team got going in front of him I feel pretty confident he could have held them off the rest of the game and given the guys a chance to tie it up

Even with Peks in net, after giving up three bad goals because of TEAM failures early the odds are slim that any goalie is going to hold the opposition to nothing. The TEAM put itself in a position where they needed perfection between the pipes for the last 48 minutes which is unrealistic. He lets in one bad goal, it's all his fault while the TEAM repeatedly failed in the defensive end resulting in far more than one goal.

worstfaceoffmanever

These Snacks Are Odd
Jun 2, 2007
Fargo, ND
Let's be clear: he didn't get a lot of help, certainly not from Jones (who had his worst game of the year), but Dubnyk did not play well. Holden's second goal was entirely on him, and he knew it. I would argue Hejda's goal was, as well, because getting beaten glove-high on the short side like that is pretty bad. Those two don't go in, maybe we're talking about a different hockey game.

The rest of the team came out flat, got better after Trotz chewed them out and dominated the last 15 minutes, but the defense and goaltending had dug such a big hole by that point that it didn't matter.

Nobody needs the Olympic break more than Jones. He was standing around watching instead of covering Landeskog, had a bad giveaway right in front of the net, and to top it all off, he got victimized by Stastny on the clincher. Most guys have a game or two like that every year, but he looked really tired and unfocused. The two weeks off will do him good, but we still have nine games before we get there.

INDhockeyfan

Apr 6, 2012
I think that you guys are missing my point. I could really care less who won or lost the trade. The fact of the matter is there was always Dubnyk apologists in Edmonton blaming it on our horrible defense (which they are). But I am hearing some of the same comments here.
He is what he is, a mentally weak, large but bad positionally goaltender who consistently lets in backbreaking weak goals when the game is on the line. He loses a LOT more games for you then what he wins.

Maybe our goalie coach Mitch Korn can help Dubnyk with his positional problems. We're a team that develops goalies pretty well and Korn is the reason. Just watching and being around Rinne who is similar in size when he comes back could do Dubnyk a lot of good. He isn't any worse then the goalies we've had playing.

Hendricks isn't a bad player it is just that we've got other guys who do the same exact thing and the term of his contract was the problem as it was going to prevent some young guys from getting called up. It really is more about the fact that in the offseason Poile got 2 guys who do the exact same thing in Nystrom and Hendricks in free agency with long term contracts when we needed guys who can score. One was fine we didn't need 2 of them.

Marty Party

Back @ The Bridge
Mar 2, 2012
Nashville
ace.mu.nu
1st Period Blues...

Despite the loss it was good to see the arena regain some of its old glory in the 3rd. Been a couple of years since the place felt that way.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Even with Peks in net, after giving up three bad goals because of TEAM failures early the odds are slim that any goalie is going to hold the opposition to nothing. The TEAM put itself in a position where they needed perfection between the pipes for the last 48 minutes which is unrealistic. He lets in one bad goal, it's all his fault while the TEAM repeatedly failed in the defensive end resulting in far more than one goal.

still missing the point. I am not talking specifically about THIS game.

with better goaltending, we would have covered for some of the teams lapses, all season long, and won more games… or looked at from another viewpoint, perhaps the team has always been mediocre, except when playing in front of a goalie of Rinnes caliber… and only when we don't have a great goaltender is that mediocrity exposed.

so yes, this game was lost by the team early, and my point all along has been, that the very nice but ultimately futile comeback last night won't mean anything unless the team has finally figured out that it needs to play like that all night, every night, so they don't have to rely on a stellar goalie which we obviously do not have

Towmater14

Sep 17, 2005
OIL COUNTRY
Maybe our goalie coach Mitch Korn can help Dubnyk with his positional problems. We're a team that develops goalies pretty well and Korn is the reason. Just watching and being around Rinne who is similar in size when hye comes back could do Dubnyk a lot of good. He isn't any worse then the goalies we've had playing.

Hendricks isn't a bad player it is just that we've got other guys who do the same exact thing and the term of his contract was the problem as it was going to prevent some young guys from getting called up. It really is more about the fact that in the offseason Poile got 2 guys who do the exact same thing in Nystrom and Hendricks in free agency with long term contracts when we needed guys who can score. One was fine we didn't need 2 of them.
I've actually heard a lot of good things about Korn. And you're right, it will probably help Dubey a lot playing behind an excellent goalie like Rinne. Hopefully he can turn it around? His save percentage last year was actually quite good but he still had a tendency to let the game winners in. Get that fixed and a few mechanics and there still may be a goalie there. :)
Btw, we are really liking Henricks game so far. We don't have a lot of grinders who give it their all on this team so he has a warm welcome.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
still missing the point. I am not talking specifically about THIS game.

with better goaltending, we would have covered for some of the teams lapses, all season long, and won more games… or looked at from another viewpoint, perhaps the team has always been mediocre, except when playing in front of a goalie of Rinnes caliber… and only when we don't have a great goaltender is that mediocrity exposed.

so yes, this game was lost by the team early, and my point all along has been, that the very nice but ultimately futile comeback last night won't mean anything unless the team has finally figured out that it needs to play like that all night, every night, so they don't have to rely on a stellar goalie which we obviously do not have

How about the goalies have let in a lot of soft goals this year all the while the guys in front of them have left them out to dry way too many times. Unfortunately, when the guys are playing well, the goalie lets in a softie or two or three OR the goalie is standing on his head and the guys are not getting it done defensively. They never seem to happen at the same time so we end up giving up 3 or 4 goals. If they happened on the same night we'd give up 7 or 8 but if the goalies and players were on the same page, we might only be giving up 1 or 2. It's on everyone. No one has been outstanding or even close to it this year. That's the sad truth.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad