LeBrun: Dubois wants out of Winnipeg, will not sign a contract for next season

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Dubois' extension would be higher than Lindholm's 4.8.

Calgary, depending on what they're doing could always retain 50% on that to make it even better.

It would be but Lindholm would be looking for an extension after this year. I think it might remove Dubois from some rental markets but a team looking to extend Dubois long term would care about the remaining year of Lindholm's deal.

Reactions: Buffdog

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Not sure why you think this scenario is going to happen? PLD only wanted to play in Montreal. He decided to do right by Winnipeg and expand his list to 5-6 teams so they can get a better return.

He doesn’t want to be back next year and his relationship with Chevy seems to be at least decent. Nothing point to them being in a pissing match fight. Chevy will find a buyer and they both going to shake hands and go on with their life.

Not everything has to end up in a pissing match with both sides doing low blows. They’re adults and everything point toward this ending in a business deal from two gentleman that have to part ways.
It absolutely won't happen. PLD, Brisson, Chevy, Hughes, Blake or literally anybody with half a brain knows this - which is why that statement was absolutely idiotic. Going public only makes it less likely that you get the trade and the contract that you wish for.

Also, I find that theory highly unlikely. If anything, stating that there are five other teams is his feeble attempt of getting Montreal to outbid "the rest" - obviously to the benefit of the Jets, but most importantly himself and his next contract too. If he had wanted to help the Jets, he would have kept his mouth shut.

There's one thing that Habs fans seem to all miss here: the Jets don't lose leverage as time goes on, we actually gain it. We don't have to accept a bad return now, because the 2024 trade deadline will always be our chance to get a good rental return from a contender. Any deal that is made in the summer needs to beat that, or else it just makes more sense to wait until Dubois budges and signs a one-year deal with us, with an understanding that there is a trade for him to a contender at the deadline.

My prediction, finally: if Dubois isn't traded by / at the draft, he'll return to Winnipeg for another year. Chevy is the most stubborn and hard-nosed GM in the league, and Hughes doesn't appear to be an easy customer either. Ironically, both sides might just benefit from waiting it out too.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
It absolutely won't happen. PLD, Brisson, Chevy, Hughes, Blake or literally anybody with half a brain knows this - which is why that statement was absolutely idiotic. Going public only makes it less likely that you get the trade and the contract that you wish for.

Also, I find that theory highly unlikely. If anything, stating that there are five other teams is his feeble attempt of getting Montreal to outbid "the rest" - obviously to the benefit of the Jets, but most importantly himself and his next contract too. If he had wanted to help the Jets, he would have kept his mouth shut.

There's one thing that Habs fans seem to all miss here: the Jets don't lose leverage as time goes on, we actually gain it. We don't have to accept a bad return now, because the 2024 trade deadline will always be our chance to get a good rental return from a contender. Any deal that is made in the summer needs to beat that, or else it just makes more sense to wait until Dubois budges and signs a one-year deal with us, with an understanding that there is a trade for him to a contender at the deadline.

My prediction, finally: if Dubois isn't traded by / at the draft, he'll return to Winnipeg for another year. Chevy is the most stubborn and hard-nosed GM in the league, and Hughes doesn't appear to be an easy customer either. Ironically, both sides might just benefit from waiting it out too.
No one talked about Jets gaining or losing leverage. I only mentioned that you won’t get to wait until the TDL for Dubois to move - Regardless of where he goes. He and his agent already said they would not be signing a new contract with Winnipeg. Chevy did not file for Arbitration either.

The PLD trade is going down either during the draft or before free agency opens up. This isn’t about Chevy having leverage over Hughes (or any other GMs) or vice versa. It is simply about all parties concerned moving on.

The mere fact that you think PLD will sign a new contract and be traded at the deadline is laughable at best.

As for the return, someone will step up with an offer that Chevy feels is good enough. The acquiring team will be happy they get a solid young player entering his prime years and the player will be happy to get a long term contract and secure his financial situation for the rest of his life.

Reactions: HabzSauce
Nov 24, 2006
The PLD trade is going down either during the draft or before free agency opens up. This isn’t about Chevy having leverage over Hughes (or any other GMs) or vice versa. It is simply about all parties concerned moving on.

The mere fact that you think PLD will sign a new contract and be traded at the deadline is laughable at best.
I wouldn't say it's "laughable at best".

I think the Jets and PLD both want to move on. Whatever statement made that he will not sign may be part reality and part posturing in the media. It happens all the time.

I still think it's highly likely he's moved at or before the draft.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
No one talked about Jets gaining or losing leverage. I only mentioned that you won’t get to wait until the TDL for Dubois to move - Regardless of where he goes. He and his agent already said they would not be signing a new contract with Winnipeg. Chevy did not file for Arbitration either.

As for the return, someone will step up with an offer that Chevy feels is good enough. The acquiring team will be happy they get a solid young player entering his prime years and the player will be happy to get a long term contract and secure his financial situation for the rest of his life.
Not you specifically, but about 50 different people with Habs in their avatars have. Continuously.

We'll see whether someone pays enough. I wouldn't be so sure about it, because Chevy has made players wait for a trade longer than Dubois has been in the organisation. The right way to play this is to continue on that path, and if that involves letting Dubois sit at home, so be it.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
It would be but Lindholm would be looking for an extension after this year. I think it might remove Dubois from some rental markets but a team looking to extend Dubois long term would care about the remaining year of Lindholm's deal.

Getting Lindholm at 50% for one year and then giving him the big deal would be very attractive to a team like Boston that is cash strapped right now, but won't be a year from now. Boston is probably the most extreme example with their 4.5m in penalties this season, but they can't be the only team.

Reactions: YP44

Chose

Loyal Habs fan
Aug 4, 2022
Montréal
All these picture are nothing more then a guy having fun over the summer. that being said, we cant dismiss they may play a "small" role in some people decision making.

I agree, these don't add pressure on WIN at all - after all he's clear that he's not coming back, cant be more clear then that in terms of situation.

For MTL, it cement the idea that he's be welcome in the locker room and would fit well with the group, one one less red flag. Probably also cement his true desire to be a Habs. I dont see this playing another role or this pressuring Kent to do a move - he's a professional negotiator.

That being said, if you're LA or another team looking into him, you got to ask yourself if you are a pawn in a game now and to what degree he's invested on joining your team. It may cool off some team on him and this may reduce the bidding war... and thus give WIN a lesser return (or not)
I think he is putty pressure on Win with those pictures. À la "I might have given you a 5-6 teams list, but I wish to remember you that I want to be with the Habs". You don't see him hanging out with LA guys in LA... You see him having fun in MTL. And as some other poster noted, you usually don't see him that active on social media; Funny timing !

It might just be my thin foil hat, but I sense he is coming home...
You can't just dismiss all the signs. There have been so many for so long...

Reactions: HabzSauce

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I think he is putty pressure on Win with those pictures. À la "I might have given you a 5-6 teams list, but I wish to remember you that I want to be with the Habs". You don't see him hanging out with LA guys in LA... You see him having fun in MTL. And as some other poster noted, you usually don't see him that active on social media; Funny timing !

It sounds like the offers from the Habs aren't enough yet or it would be done. Maybe he's putting pressure on the Habs saying just pony up and get me here.

You aren't seeing him in LA with LA guys because he doesn't live in LA in the offseason. Although I did see him with an LA adjacent guy in Trevor Zegras in those pictures.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown

This is Montreal’s version of Ontario boys like Stamkos and Doughty signing with the Leafs.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC

He lives in Montreal in the offseason. Shocker he is out having fun in Montreal during one of the city's biggest events.

Not saying it is not his preference BUT it has been noted he is interested in bigger cities with more entertainment / more sports teams etc. Montreal is far from the only 1 that that bill.

Reactions: hn777 and SCP Guy

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
Nope. Dubois through his agent made it clear he wants to play for the Habs.

Hab fans didn't read tea leaves, they read what is out there and can be found by anyone.
I think it's more he wouldn't mind playing for the Habs, but yes I hope it's he necessitates it, otherwise he'll be in cardiac arrest. :sarcasm:

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
This is Montreal’s version of Ontario boys like Stamkos and Doughty signing with the Leafs.

FzLz6hkXgAECd4t

FzAMKVTWAA4niN5

I mean, Jets fans can still act in denial but it's pretty clear to me where his heart is

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
He lives in Montreal in the offseason. Shocker he is out having fun in Montreal during one of the city's biggest events.

Not saying it is not his preference BUT it has been noted he is interested in bigger cities with more entertainment / more sports teams etc. Montreal is far from the only 1 that that bill.

If so I wonder why he had trouble fitting in in Columbus. The place is a university town with an abnormally high percentage of the population in the 18-25 range. Granted it may not be big sporting events and the like, but there should have been lots to do for someone in that age group.

Garry Valk

Feb 27, 2002
thedrivefortwentyfive.blogspot.com

…except if he is offer sheeted for a year and they match, they can’t trade him at the deadline.

Reactions: bretpatrick7

Nickel eye Heel hers

Happy thoughts
Feb 12, 2016
granola island, BC

Person who lives in Montreal during the off season, seen in Montreal....

Reactions: hn777

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
If PLD really doesn't want to play another game for the Jets, he won't sign an offer sheet

The inverse works as well.

If the Jets really don't want to walk him to FA they will never match an offer sheet.

Thereby making the risk he would play another year in Winnipeg nil - even if he signed an offer sheet.

Jets have ZERO to gain apart from emotional release by matching an offersheet as they know he is walking next summer and now they can't even move him at the deadline.

Still, I don't see it happening. At least not from the Habs.

Reactions: bretpatrick7

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
The inverse works as well.

If the Jets really don't want to walk him to FA they will never match an offer sheet.

Thereby making the risk he would play another year in Winnipeg nil - even if he signed an offer sheet.

Jets have ZERO to gain apart from emotional release by matching an offersheet as they know he is walking next summer and now they can't even move him at the deadline.

Still, I don't see it happening. At least not from the Habs.
If PLD does something like that, it wouldn't be anything less than a "f*** you" to TNSE and I could see them matching out of spite. I would.

That said, it won't get to that. It will be over by next Wednesday. Or at least it better be

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Nope. Dubois through his agent made it clear he wants to play for the Habs.

Hab fans didn't read tea leaves, they read what is out there and can be found by anyone.
Or Dubois is using the Habs narrative to gain leverage over the team that trades for him? He could sign the Horvat contract and more this way. Maxim contract leverage.

Nico Cauzuki

Jul 19, 2009
King Of The North
Dubois spends every offseason in Montreal but hes never been out like this summer at every event taking pictures with everyone it might not mean much none of us know but its definitely different from hes other summers here

Chevy should be all over Calgary’s pick we own watch it be a lottery pick with everyone asking for trades

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad