LeBrun: Dubois wants out of Winnipeg, will not sign a contract for next season

Status
Not open for further replies.

eojsmada

Oct 23, 2022
Is he going to Anaheim since he was with Zegras? Or NJ with Jack Hughes? Aren't PLD and Savard good friends from their CBJ days? I wouldn't put too much stock into his outings.
This is spot on. The summer stuff with other pros is fairly overrated in terms of rumors and such.

You could make hay on rumors for all of the nhl pros and prospects who workout together over the summers. But they are normally fruitless.

Reactions: hn777

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
The actual "fit" between LA and Winnipeg for a Dubois trade makes the most sense....and by far. Will be super interesting to see if LA can make the $$ amounts work or not.

Astyanax

May 5, 2020
I love these threads because they're usually filled with comments like 'PIONK for Trouba are you kidding me?? Never in a million years bud'

edit:
here's an actual example
I always thought that return was OK to a bit weak, but pionk proved me wrong. Of course I also believed he secretly wanted to come home to Michigan and his wife preferred the metropolitan setting of NYC.

Astyanax

May 5, 2020
I'd do:

Dvorak
Hoffman
1st Florida
One of Harris/Barron
One of Beck/Roy

for PLD

Dvorak has two years left at 4,45M$ AAV. He had a difficult seasons since he's with us, but than again, everyone had it rough on the Habs in the last two years. He was solid in Arizona tho and might be able to turn it around. He'd be a "band-aid" for Winnipeg's center depth

Hoffman is in his last year at 4,5M AAV. By now, everybody knows what's the deal with him, he's pretty much a cap dump. Useful on PP, but a liability in defense. If the Jets tanks this year, they could try to flip him at the tdl. If they don't do it, Hoffman is gone at the end of the year anyway

1st Florida will either be 31th or 32th.

Harris and Barron are solid defenseman prospects. They're not stars, but both of them will end up with a job in the NHL for sure. If Winnipeg take the rebuild route, they could be nice pieces

Both Beck and Roy are incredible prospects. IMO in the depth chart, they are behind only Hutson and "maybe" Mailloux. Beck is a great two ways center. Roy is a super solid winger, and he can do the defensive plays too, à la Toffoli

This trade give cap space to Montreal, along with a solid 2nd center to play behind Suzuki, and the cap space to sign him
Winnipeg get a kick start at their own rebuild
That's is quite a bit, but fair if he resigns. I wouldn't do it, but hey maybe he will finally be happy in mtl.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Brisson’s fingerprints. Win the mob and pressure Hughes. I know he lives here, never seen him so out and about on social media though

To be perfectly honest, I've long suspected this supposed "list" is nonsense. Pure speculation on my part, of course but it just seems a little too convenient. Like I said on the Habs board, I think Brisson may have tried smacking some sense into him to at least play coy because Winnipeg's not trading you to the Habs for a song.

Clearly, he's listening.

Reactions: HuGo Sham

Astyanax

May 5, 2020
There’s no way Montreal passes on one of the very few Francophone young stars; they will pay whatever is necessary
Or keep their assets and wait. They know he wants to play there. And mtl is not exactly a contender yet. Still don't understand why the rangers gave 2 picks for fox when he was so soon to be up for grabs and only wanted to play there.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
He does not, but he's bot signing on Winnipeg.

Jets have to deal him before his QO is due, and to a team he's willing to extend to. The more thos teams wait. The better the deal they'll get because it puts the Jets in a very tight corner.
We can easily wait until the TDL and deal him then. The value we would get for PLD should not be that different from what we would receive now.

The only party here with any kind of time pressure is Dubois himself. He'd better hope someone pays up, because if he's not comfortable risking a one-year contract right before UFA, he should be f***ing terrified of having to play that contract year on the Jets' fourth line.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
At first I didn't want to give credence to the rumors but it looks more and more like a player getting acquainted with his new teammates.
Good thing you don't see all the pics of the guys hanging out, living, training and skating together every summer in Kelowna. You'd be convinced they're all going to play for the same team next year

Reactions: hn777

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
We can easily wait until the TDL and deal him then. The value we would get for PLD should not be that different from what we would receive now.

The only party here with any kind of time pressure is Dubois himself. He'd better hope someone pays up, because if he's not comfortable risking a one-year contract right before UFA, he should be f***ing terrified of having to play that contract year on the Jets' fourth line.
One thing that is crystal clear is Dubois is not signing a new contract in Winnipeg so dealing him at the TDL is not happening

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
One thing that is crystal clear is Dubois is not signing a new contract in Winnipeg so dealing him at the TDL is not happening
He kinda has too if he wants to get out of there tho.

He'll sign his 1 year QO if not traded at the TDL or sign an OS

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Oh well. It's going to be a long wait for July 2025, then.

I still cannot fathom why PLD and Brisson thought it would be a good idea to go public.

Reactions: Buffdog

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014

I still cannot fathom why PLD and Brisson thought it would be a good idea to go public.
Doesn't change anything for them.

Going public only screws WIN and Chevy in their trade.

PLD can sign a 1 year OS this year and a 8 year contract in Jan if he wants. Wether he goes public or not doesn't change anything.

PLD can sign a 1 year 6M QO and test the market next year, leave WIN, going public has no effect there.

PLD can be traded for late 1st + B prospect + Dump like Horvat, going public doesn't change that.

Only thing it changes is the value the poor Jets get back for him. Wether its 1-2-3 pick via an OS, or a similar offer to Horvat, they won't get fair value for him.

SnapVirus

Jul 16, 2010
Mtl., QC.
At the end of the day here what could happen if PLD really wants to play in MTL :

1) He tells team that he doesnt want to sign a long term contract with them. So he plays the whole year in Winnipeg and they'll trade him (or not) at the deadline like any ufa-to-be. Probably a late pick and a b prospect. Then he can decide if he wants to sign with that team or go the UFA route.

2) They trade him now, to dont have a player with bad morale in their line-up for the same package they would have at the trade deadline. And they fastly remove the plaster.

3) They wait for PLD to change his mind and his demands, -like after the ufa period when he'll be desesperate- so that they can trade him for a better package to another team (like nyr, col, or whatever).

At the end of the day PLD played with honesty in this process. He could simply said nothing, sign for one year, let them believe he might stay with them and move on from Winnipeg next summer, and they would have got nothing for him. Now he says : I want to move on, you have time to trade me and get some assets, but I'd like to be traded to my hometown.

Montreal wont be paying prime assets, they have leverage and they dont NEED to get PLD. He wants to come here. So what MTL will offer will be similar to what Winnipeg might get at the next trade deadline. Why offer more?

Reactions: Pat Jablonski

Kosseca

Feb 23, 2020
No pressure on Winnipeg, it's not like he'd be here right now anyway.
All these picture are nothing more then a guy having fun over the summer. that being said, we cant dismiss they may play a "small" role in some people decision making.

I agree, these don't add pressure on WIN at all - after all he's clear that he's not coming back, cant be more clear then that in terms of situation.

For MTL, it cement the idea that he's be welcome in the locker room and would fit well with the group, one one less red flag. Probably also cement his true desire to be a Habs. I dont see this playing another role or this pressuring Kent to do a move - he's a professional negotiator.

That being said, if you're LA or another team looking into him, you got to ask yourself if you are a pawn in a game now and to what degree he's invested on joining your team. It may cool off some team on him and this may reduce the bidding war... and thus give WIN a lesser return (or not)

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Doesn't change anything for them.

Going public only screws WIN and Chevy in their trade.

PLD can sign a 1 year OS this year and a 8 year contract in Jan if he wants. Wether he goes public or not doesn't change anything.

PLD can sign a 1 year 6M QO and test the market next year, leave WIN, going public has no effect there.

PLD can be traded for late 1st + B prospect + Dump like Horvat, going public doesn't change that.

Only thing it changes is the value the poor Jets get back for him. Wether its 1-2-3 pick via an OS, or a similar offer to Horvat, they won't get fair value for him.
If PLD 100% never wants to play in Winnipeg again, he'll never sign an offer sheet. Jets match and he's stuck for a year.

Reactions: MardyBum and hn777

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg
If the Jets were worried PLD would sign an offer sheet they would have elected for team arbitration.... This in not one of the many things Chevy is worried about, my guess is they have an agreement an OS will not be signed by the PLD camp.

Its the only logical explanation....Or a deal(s) are all but done and just waiting on details, Chevy is not an idiot and would not risk being put in an OS situation if he had an easy out IMO

Reactions: Buffdog

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
He kinda has too if he wants to get out of there tho.

He'll sign his 1 year QO if not traded at the TDL or sign an OS
He’s not going to get there.

Not sure why you think this scenario is going to happen? PLD only wanted to play in Montreal. He decided to do right by Winnipeg and expand his list to 5-6 teams so they can get a better return.

He doesn’t want to be back next year and his relationship with Chevy seems to be at least decent. Nothing point to them being in a pissing match fight. Chevy will find a buyer and they both going to shake hands and go on with their life.

Not everything has to end up in a pissing match with both sides doing low blows. They’re adults and everything point toward this ending in a business deal from two gentleman that have to part ways.

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010
Does the Lindholm news change the suitors for PLD?

Seems like a team like LA or Detroit could trade for him without the complications of a deal with WPG.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018

Seems like a team like LA or Detroit could trade for him without the complications of a deal with WPG.
Lindholm's contract for this season is pretty much Arvidsson's, so LA could fit him easier and then extend him and the cap goes up next season, or very likely to go up.

Arvidsson is a good player and would help keep Calgary competitive + whatever else they get for it.

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010
Lindholm's contract for this season is pretty much Arvidsson's, so LA could fit him easier and then extend him and the cap goes up next season, or very likely to go up.

Arvidsson is a good player and would help keep Calgary competitive + whatever else they get for it.
I wouldn't be surprised if they turn their attention to him.

He is older but a proven #1 C and can make them very competitive

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

I think it adds another C into the market but I don't see how it would be any less complicated than a deal with Winnipeg. Lindholm is signed next year, which is more than you can say for Dubois, but I don't think that's an issue given Dubois is willing to extend.

Reactions: Nico Cauzuki

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
I think it adds another C into the market but I don't see how it would be any less complicated than a deal with Winnipeg. Lindholm is signed next year, which is more than you can say for Dubois, but I don't think that's an issue given Dubois is willing to extend.
Dubois' extension would be higher than Lindholm's 4.8.

Calgary, depending on what they're doing could always retain 50% on that to make it even better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad