Dubnyk explains resurgence

Horseradish

Dec 9, 2005
London, ON
3 good years? lol. His only year that could be considered any good was the lockout year, and even then he found ways to burn us when we were in the playoff hunt. You either have a selective memory, or you're literally one of the only people that would possibly say he had 3 good years as an Oiler.

His career worst SP% in any season where he played a significant number of games (other than last year) was .914, pretty average. And he did it always playing on a league worst team giving up golden opportunities.

At worst he's an average NHL goalie. I think he's, on average, a solid, not great, starter.

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
Dubnyk was bad with the Oilers people.

The guys career was in jeopardy so he actaully put in the work in the summer to change his game. Which I've heard was a problem with DD in the past.

Not any new news though...we have several players that assumed the way they played in Jr would just translate to the NHL..change change necessary.

TheRebuild

Bold as Boognish
Jun 12, 2014
Winter
Power to Doobie for playing so well, but I don't see it being sustainable. He's more likely to be bought out at the end of whatever overpay contract he gets this off-season as he is to win the Vezina, lead a team on a deep playoff run, etc...

He reminds me of any other mediocre goalie hiding behind a solid defensive system, he's just.....there. Does what he's supposed to do with a lunch pail mentality. If things break down in front of him, don't expect him to save the day. He's on the perfect team for him though, everything's boxed out and pretty much all he has to do is stay square to the shooter.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
He reminds me of any other mediocre goalie hiding behind a solid defensive system, he's just.....there. Does what he's supposed to do with a lunch pail mentality. If things break down in front of him, don't expect him to save the day. He's on the perfect team for him though, everything's boxed out and pretty much all he has to do is stay square to the shooter.

He is a perfect goalie for a team with solid D and/or a solid system, because he has the big body so anything that gets through, if he's positioned right, he's going to stop it the vast majority of the time. Giguere won a cup like that with his gigantic pads where he couldn't even see the puck at his feet, hehe. Anaheim was rock solid, he just needed to be a table hockey goalie moving side to side. Krueger figured out how to get the team to play in front of Dubs as well. Eakins on the other hand, didn't give 2 craps about coaching to the strengths of any of his players.

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
I am hoping our AHL and NHL goalies are looking into this.

In the midst of his best season as a pro, Devan Dubnyk is crediting more than just a change of scenery for sparking his remarkable turnaround.

The goaltender adopted a new technique last summer called Head Trajectory that significantly changed the way he tracks the puck.

Dubnyk explained the concept to Kevin Woodley of NHL.com:

"It's all to do with your head. It's like closing on pucks. You discover you have to move a whole lot less than you used to feel you need to. It's such small movements forward and just closing off the angle of the puck, and when you start to realize that and you realize how big you are when you put yourself in the right position - and that's a big part of it - you start to feel comfortable and then you can be patient on your feet. You can sit there and let plays happen in front of you and not be going down early, and everything kind of comes with it once you realize how big you are."

Dubnyk has thrived following a trade from the Arizona Coyotes to the Minnesota Wild, posting an 11-2-1 record, .936 save percentage, 1.73 goals-against average and four shutouts in 15 games.

He discovered the new technique while working with former New York Islanders and Rangers netminder Stephen Valiquette before training camp. Valiquette learned the technique from its creator, Lyle Mast, a goaltending consultant with the WHL's Tri-City Americans.

"It's the way we move our head to track the puck all the time," Valiquette said. "And really, it's a foundation that touches all parts of how we play the position.

"It's that valuable. Working with goalies on this, if they can understand it and apply it, it's the biggest game-changer we are going to see in goaltending, maybe ever. Maybe this is bigger than the butterfly. It will revolutionize and evolve goaltending."
It might be worth noting that Dustin Schwartz also had Lyle Mast as a mentor and has been teaching this technique for several years now. So Dubby might have learned the same thing here if Chabot had been let go earlier.

durdo

Apr 25, 2015
With an exclamation point put on Dubnyk's resurgence with a Vezina nomination, I can't help but wonder if Dub would consider returning to the Oilers as a UFA now that the team is under new management. He'll be suddenly expensive, but maybe we can count some of that toward reparations for leaving him out to dry a couple seasons ago. Come home, Dubey.

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012

Correction, he was bad with Eakins brilliant swarm system and MacT seemingly fine with players like Garbagecov on the team.

RattsSSV

Слава Україні - F*** Putin
May 4, 2006
I for one was happy to see Dubnyk leave. He was good for at least on beach ball against a game. That being said, he has really progressed and appears to be a bonafide starter.

Captain Fantastic

Connor McMastadon
Feb 24, 2012
YEG
I for one was happy to see Dubnyk leave. He was good for at least on beach ball against a game. That being said, he has really progressed and appears to be a bonafide starter.

I agree. He has improved immensely and good for him. However, I don't blame the Oilers for getting rid of him. He played horrid the last season with us.

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010
I blame Chabot he failed with Dubnyk and a half dozen other goalies.

Agreed, and the guys who hired/kept him here. We really need to look into hiring one of these guys mentioned in the op.

He discovered the new technique while working with former New York Islanders and Rangers netminder Stephen Valiquette before training camp. Valiquette learned the technique from its creator, Lyle Mast, a goaltending consultant with the WHL's Tri-City Americans.

Ogopogo*

"It's that valuable. Working with goalies on this, if they can understand it and apply it, it's the biggest game-changer we are going to see in goaltending, maybe ever. Maybe this is bigger than the butterfly. It will revolutionize and evolve goaltending."

No way in hell this is a bigger game-changer than the emergence of huge goaltending equipment. That revolutionized the position more than anything ever will.

Ogopogo*

Agreed. He was *********g awful last year. He had to go.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
Correction, he was bad with Eakins brilliant swarm system and MacT seemingly fine with players like Garbagecov on the team.

and neither Eakins or Mact wanted to admit there were other problems that cause the 2013-14 'debacle', so they blamed the whole thing on Dubnyk. while he did have a tough half season, the coaching and the Dcorp were bigger issues.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Agreed, and the guys who hired/kept him here. We really need to look into hiring one of these guys mentioned in the op.

That's basically it. The Oilers org had no clue how to properly develop a goalie and we totally slacked it with the goalie development side of the house. We let Dubs progression go completely stale under Chabot (I still would love to know how the hell Chabot got a new contract last summer). People blame Dubs for being complacent, but complacency has been like a religion in the Oilers org since Lowe became POHO. So many of our players have fallen into that trap here over the last decade.

Not being able to get the most out of Dubs was an organizational failure that Lowe MacT and Tambo all had a part in allowing to happen. Did we develop 1 damn goalie to their potential under Lowe's entire 15 years as GM/POHO? I hope Chiarelli can fix that area for us, being able to develop goalies is a huge deal.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad