Dubnyk explains resurgence

Throttlehead

Jan 22, 2014
Victoria B.C.
I am hoping our AHL and NHL goalies are looking into this.

In the midst of his best season as a pro, Devan Dubnyk is crediting more than just a change of scenery for sparking his remarkable turnaround.

The goaltender adopted a new technique last summer called Head Trajectory that significantly changed the way he tracks the puck.

Dubnyk explained the concept to Kevin Woodley of NHL.com:

"It's all to do with your head. It's like closing on pucks. You discover you have to move a whole lot less than you used to feel you need to. It's such small movements forward and just closing off the angle of the puck, and when you start to realize that and you realize how big you are when you put yourself in the right position - and that's a big part of it - you start to feel comfortable and then you can be patient on your feet. You can sit there and let plays happen in front of you and not be going down early, and everything kind of comes with it once you realize how big you are."

Dubnyk has thrived following a trade from the Arizona Coyotes to the Minnesota Wild, posting an 11-2-1 record, .936 save percentage, 1.73 goals-against average and four shutouts in 15 games.

He discovered the new technique while working with former New York Islanders and Rangers netminder Stephen Valiquette before training camp. Valiquette learned the technique from its creator, Lyle Mast, a goaltending consultant with the WHL's Tri-City Americans.

"It's the way we move our head to track the puck all the time," Valiquette said. "And really, it's a foundation that touches all parts of how we play the position.

"It's that valuable. Working with goalies on this, if they can understand it and apply it, it's the biggest game-changer we are going to see in goaltending, maybe ever. Maybe this is bigger than the butterfly. It will revolutionize and evolve goaltending."

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Scrivens needs this.

Him and Dub when he played here always make me think they have no idea where the puck is and then clearly do not when they fail to move until after the goal is in.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I always thought tracking the puck was Dubnyk's biggest weakness. Seemed like he was always guessing and hoping the puck hit him.

That improvement alone probably had a huge part in his turnaround.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
HAHa, can you imagine if this guy wins a Vezina?

XD

I want that to happen. Great guy. Wished him the best. Also love seeing former player kick dirt in the face of our OBC.

Oilers Apologist

Jun 28, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Schwartz's main focus when working with goaltenders is the tracking of the puck. He's turned decent goalies into very good WHL goaltenders simply by making this a major focus. I'd give him the off season to work with Scrivens and whoever else we bring in and I believe the goaltending will be much better.

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
Too bad we're missing out on Doobs success. This team needs better goaltending. Dubnyk with Scrivens or Fasth as backup would be solid.

Imagine if we lose Petry and he becomes a #1 D somewhere else. We would have developed and given up on the two major pieces we need.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
I read the whole article and was waiting for the punch line.

Goalies are such headcases (no pun intended). Just get them to buy into some pseudoscience and they're golden.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
"It's that valuable. Working with goalies on this, if they can understand it and apply it, it's the biggest game-changer we are going to see in goaltending, maybe ever. Maybe this is bigger than the butterfly. It will revolutionize and evolve goaltending."

After reading that, I have this irrational urge that the Oilers just wreck him tonight...like, just pump 5 goals within the first 5 minutes of the 1st period and leave him in a quivering mess of insecurity.

Sigh...I need to go to confession again.

HotToddy75

Jun 13, 2011
As a beer league goalie and hockey coach, eyes and vision are a crazy important and largely understudied part of the game.

Listen to all the goalies talking about 'seeing the puck well' and 'tracking the puck well' or teammates who helped 'see every shot'. Conversely we talk about 'battling the puck' etc.

Dubnyk seems like a golfer who had a bad habit get into his swing. Once the habit is gone, the champion is back.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
As a beer league goalie and hockey coach, eyes and vision are a crazy important and largely understudied part of the game.

Listen to all the goalies talking about 'seeing the puck well' and 'tracking the puck well' or teammates who helped 'see every shot'. Conversely we talk about 'battling the puck' etc.

Dubnyk seems like a golfer who had a bad habit get into his swing. Once the habit is gone, the champion is back.

I disagree, because I don't think he's that high end period. Instead, I see him as a guy with impressive tools, who gets hot every so often, but isn't consistantly good at the position on the whole.

Like Mathieu Garon, he was big and athletic, but wasn't consistent to any extent.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Good thing we didn't support Dubs at all after developing him for over half a decade and gave him away for another teams cap dump that we coulda had for a 5th round pick.

Always a good idea after one of your players had a career year (top 15 in sav % in 12/13) if they have a bad season to just toss them away like garbage. For a bonus points you can try to help them fail by predicting their failure before the season even starts and make every failed opportunity to replace them known in the media. Don't give them a vote of confidence and try to work with them and find ways for them to improve, that would be dumb.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
Good thing we didn't support Dubs at all after developing him for over half a decade and gave him away for another teams cap dump that we coulda had for a 5th round pick.

Always a good idea after one of your players had a career year (top 15 in sav % in 12/13) if they have a bad season to just toss them away like garbage. For a bonus points you can try to help them fail by predicting their failure before the season even starts and make every failed opportunity to replace them known in the media. Don't give them a vote of confidence and try to work with them and find ways for them to improve, that would be dumb.

more than just the oilers thought he was overrated.
he's had hot streaks before. come back when he goes cold again that's when DD will need you to pump his tires.

Tw0Shoes

Mar 15, 2007
Meh I think Dubnyk's main issue last year was just having a kid.
Sleep deprivation leads to a huge lack of focus.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008

Hindsight is awesome isn't it?

Dubnyk flat out sucked when he was here, and in Nashville, and in the AHL. Even in the "top 15 in sv%" season he would be ok, then burn us with a **** goal against at the worst time on many occasions.

This is a flash. He's had them before. I hope they make the playoffs just to see him fall apart when the pressure is on like we've seen many times before.

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010
You can sit there and let plays happen in front of you and not be going down early, and everything kind of comes with it once you realize how big you are."

That was always his worst problem while he was here. Puck crosses center he'd be down on his pads and then have to slide along his pads to move side to side. He lost all the benefit of his size by dropping to the ice so soon.

McXLNC97

Mar 20, 2007
B.C.

He was garbage. The guy gave up so many back breaking softies it wasn't even funny. He's like 6'5"/6'6"....well he played more like he was 5'5" a lot of the times. Not only did Nashville quickly get rid of him after the Oilers trade, even Montreal didn't bother getting him into the lineup even after Carey Price went down. Guy is playing over his head at the moment, and will crash and burn soon enough.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Hindsight is awesome isn't it?

Dubnyk flat out sucked when he was here, and in Nashville, and in the AHL. Even in the "top 15 in sv%" season he would be ok, then burn us with a **** goal against at the worst time on many occasions.

This is a flash. He's had them before. I hope they make the playoffs just to see him fall apart when the pressure is on like we've seen many times before.

Or that 1 year was a flash? He had 3 good years, 1 bad, and now another good. Yet everyone focuses on 1 bad where he was handicapped by terrible coaching and had to deal with equipment changes and a new baby. Everyone on the team sucked last year and regressed, yet only Dubs doesn't get any leeway.

And the soft goal thing is just fan perception. There's a thread on HF where everyone lists the strengths and weaknesses of their teams goalie and every goalie good and bad had 1 or more fans talking about their odd backbreaking goal. We look at our own goalies different from other teams goalies. When a goalie lets us score a stinker on them, we don't give it a 2nd though, when our goalie lets one in we're all over him, especially if the team sucks in general and we have to keep watching losses, like was always the case with Dubs on the team. Dubs definitely let in bad goals now and then, but so does every goalie. It's something I'm sure he will continue to work on, he's still young and has a lot of years left.

Goalies are always the easiest guy for fans to jump all over because the puck goes by the last, even if other players made 15 mistakes between them on the pucks way into the net, if the goalie made an error, he sucks! Fact of the matter is, MacT tossed a home grown player (something he whines past management didn't give him enough of) in the trash and he's playing great now, way better than any crap MacT picked up to replace him. And the main reason he got rid of him was to deflect blame from the guy he eventually was forced to fire anyway.

Last edited:

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Or that 1 year was a flash? He had 3 good years, 1 bad, and now another good. Yet everyone focuses on 1 bad where he was handicapped by terrible coaching and had to deal with equipment changes and a new baby. Everyone on the team sucked last year and regressed, yet only Dubs doesn't get any leeway.

And the soft goal thing is just fan perception. There's a thread on HF where everyone lists the strengths and weaknesses of their teams goalie and every goalie good and bad had 1 or more fans talking about their odd backbreaking goal. We look at our own goalies different from other teams goalies. When a goalie lets us score a stinker on them, we don't give it a 2nd though, when our goalie lets one in we're all over him, especially if the team sucks in general and we have to keep watching losses, like was always the case with Dubs on the team. Dubs definitely let in bad goals now and then, but so does every goalie. It's something I'm sure he will continue to work on, he's still young and has a lot of years left.

3 good years? lol. His only year that could be considered any good was the lockout year, and even then he found ways to burn us when we were in the playoff hunt. You either have a selective memory, or you're literally one of the only people that would possibly say he had 3 good years as an Oiler.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad