Dubinsky suspended one game.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=790076&navid=nhl:topheads

Columbus Blue Jackets center Brandon Dubinsky will have a hearing with the NHL Department of Player Safety on Saturday for cross-checking the Pittsburgh Penguins' Sidney Crosby on Friday.

Dubinsky was assessed a two-minute penalty for cross-checking Crosby in the back of the neck at 18:40 of the second period.

Crosby went to the dressing room but returned for the start of the third period. He assisted on Evgeni Malkin's power-play goal midway through the third period.

Crosby said after the game that he was fine.

"I'm OK,'' he said. "There is always concern when that happens. Yeah, I'm good. Honestly, I didn't even see it, so I don't know how it looked. I just know how it felt.

My first impression of the hit was that he deserved a suspension. After seeing it again, I realize how much the needle has moved, even with me, regarding physical play. I was wrong.

It was a hit worthy of a penalty, but no more. It wasn't all that hard and the second cross check was a love tap. It was poor judgement on the part of Dubinsky, but no injury resulted. I doubt it would a hearing-worthy event had not #87 (or Malkin) been the recipient of the cross check.

My hope is for a stern warning and small fine. My best guess is that #17 sits for a game.

ndd17

In Eaves we trust!
Jul 14, 2012
Russia
Aaron Portzline@Aportzline 4h
By my count, this is #CBJ Brandon
Dubinsky's third talk with #NHL regarding
possible supplemental discipline. He has
never been suspended.

What happened with my memory? He was not suspended hit on Saku Koivu?

KlichkoBro*

Aaron Portzline@Aportzline 4h
By my count, this is #CBJ Brandon
Dubinsky's third talk with #NHL regarding
possible supplemental discipline. He has
never been suspended.

What happened with my memory? He was not suspended hit on Saku Koivu?

NHL doesn't suspend for clean hits. Yet. Dubi shouldn't have got even 2 minutes for that hit.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
This is my position as well.

To amend: I believe if Hornqvist had answered the bell himself, with or without the refs intervening, it would have kept things from escalating. Hornqvist cheap-shotted Calvert, and Calvert did all but beg him to answer for it, then other Jackets did the same. I believe Dubinsky took advantage of his situation to say "hey if Horny won't answer the bell, well here's something to get your attention."

Again, to be clear, I don't approve of the way Dubi did it, but I do approve of the approach. If Hartnell had pulled what Hornqvist did, and Hornqvist called him out and he didn't answer, I'd expect Johansen or Murray to get rocked.

And to be clear further, Malkin "throwing" with Johnson is not part of this equation.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
To amend: I believe if Hornqvist had answered the bell himself, with or without the refs intervening, it would have kept things from escalating. Hornqvist cheap-shotted Calvert, and Calvert did all but beg him to answer for it, then other Jackets did the same.

If you aren't going to drop with Calvert, who are you going to? AS I said in the GDT, he's a little girl.

If you are going to be a real agitator in this league you have to oblige. He's not a real one.

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015
Was the Hornqvist hit dirty or was it just a good hit? :help:

I was at the game and I saw it out of the corner of my eye. I figured if Ryan Murray came over swinging he must have really seen something he didn't like

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Was the Hornqvist hit dirty or was it just a good hit? :help:

I was at the game and I saw it out of the corner of my eye. I figured if Ryan Murray came over swinging he must have really seen something he didn't like

I'd have to look again, but I didn't think it was outrageously dirty when I saw the replay. Having said that, I can see why Calvert and Murray were upset by it. I certainly wouldn't call it a good, clean hit to be sure.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
If you aren't going to drop with Calvert, who are you going to? AS I said in the GDT, he's a little girl.

If you are going to be a real agitator in this league you have to oblige. He's not a real one.

Lots of agitators don't fight (or very much). Guys like Marchand hardly ever fight and if he isn't a real agitator I don't know who is.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I'd have to look again, but I didn't think it was outrageously dirty when I saw the replay. Having said that, I can see why Calvert and Murray were upset by it. I certainly wouldn't call it a good, clean hit to be sure.

I agree. Calvert was a bit off balance and he was pushed into the boards with no real chance to brace himself. Rimer mentioned it was like the hit Stepan took against Boston that resulted in some broken ribs. He too was away from the boards when he was hit and hit them with some force.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Lots of agitators don't fight (or very much). Guys like Marchand hardly ever fight and if he isn't a real agitator I don't know who is.

My definition. If you don't give the player a chance to get back at you for a borderline or dirty hit, you aren't a real agitator. Some people lump in the guys that run the skill players as "agitators" and act all innocent when the other team tries to protect them. They are not.

If you simply get under the skin and don't drop, that's another story. That isn't the case with Miss Horqvist. She wasn't pretty enough to be a model, so she decided to play some hockey.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I don't know what the league will do, but on principle hard crosschecks to the neck should lead to suspensions. I don't want that in the game.

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
I have two problems with any suspension:

Plays like this happen sometimes (no penalty, no supplemental):

Staal hits Crosby

That's not really a justification, but something to show that this isn't exactly a McSorley incident either, like it's being played up to be.

Then there's the 'similar' Byfuglien hit from last year. If you listen to the description by the DoPS, pretty much everything they use to differentiate the Buff hit from a clean play was in play in the Dubinsky hit.

- Crosby was involved in the play and not defenseless
- "some measure of physicality in front of the net is common and acceptable, particularly when the defender is trying to protect his goaltender"

[NHL]797504[/NHL]

The only argument would be 'excessive force' and I'm not sure I see it. Yeah, it's in a bad spot, but I can see Dubi's point that it's clear he wasn't really looking when he delivered the hit. He certainly deserved the cross check and probably a 10 or game misconduct for the point of contact. I don't doubt there will likely be a 1 game suspension simply because he didn't get a game misconduct in addition to the cross-checking penalty. The Crosby factor is huge, for sure. When is Hornqvist's hearing for his play against Calvert?

LoveCBJ

Jan 17, 2009
South Carolina
Wow, Dubi is the devil on the mains. He will probably get suspended because the hit was high but I don't think that hit was very hard and Dubi wasn't even looking him. Surprised there was no response from his teammates. To me, that says a lot.

Jaxs

Jul 4, 2008
I hate that Dubi is probably going to get a game or two. I just wish Cindy would have fought back so Dubi could have gone mano y mano.

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
My definition. If you don't give the player a chance to get back at you for a borderline or dirty hit, you aren't a real agitator. Some people lump in the guys that run the skill players as "agitators" and act all innocent when the other team tries to protect them. They are not.

If you simply get under the skin and don't drop, that's another story. That isn't the case with Miss Horqvist. She wasn't pretty enough to be a model, so she decided to play some hockey.

I'd go in just the opposite direction, bb - if a guy throws late hits, jaws, is loose with his stick, but won't drop his gloves, that to me is a pest or agitator.

I think of that as different from a tough guy or enforcer, the difference between Marchand and Lucic, for example.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
I'd go in just the opposite direction, bb - if a guy throws late hits, jaws, is loose with his stick, but won't drop his gloves, that to me is a pest or agitator.

Running star and/or skill players and not dropping the gloves is a girl, not an agitator. Sorry bro. Running is different than a clean hit that was part of the play.

You'll see the runners, they'll get out there and just chase around a skill player before completing an uncalled charge.

Seriously though, if you won't fight Calvert you've got some real testosterone problems.

Last edited:

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
Pens fans are as pissed at their team for not responding to the Dubi hit as they are at Dubi.

Look, it's always a war in front of any net and **it happens. Just because it happened to Crosby doesn't make it any worse. The fact that Dubi wasn't looking makes it sound inadvertent.

But it is what it is, and we will see what happens.

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
Wow, Dubi is the devil on the mains. He will probably get suspended because the hit was high but I don't think that hit was very hard and Dubi wasn't even looking him. Surprised there was no response from his teammates. To me, that says a lot.

Pittsburgh, and their fans, are soft and they expect the league to do their work for them. The team is made up of cowards. The Romanian figure skating team is probably more physical.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad