Dubinsky Leaves Practice with injury - Update: out 4-6 weeks

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Problem is that Wennberg should be the 2nd line center and Bjorkstrand should be on his wing. However, nobody works at left wing with them. The ideal guy may be Anderson but he is a right handed shot who plays on the right side just like Bjorkstrand.

Panarin didn't mesh well with Wennberg and they don't want to break up the top line.

Foligno can skate with them but when he gets the puck he is an offensive sink. He is probably the best option at the moment, unfortunately.

Jenner is a possession black hole and can't skate with them.

Milano can't keep possession and his play away from the puck is severely lacking.

I don't know what they do. I doubt this team goes out and tries to acquire anybody of note. The front office seems to relish *not* doing what may be perceived as reflexive moves.

Maybe try Duclair (left handed shot) on the left side? Bring up Stenlund and move Wennberg to the left side?

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Panarin didn't mesh well with Wennberg and they don't want to break up the top line.

That Panarin-Wennberg-Atkinson combo from early last year was actually just as good in possession terms as the top lines that followed. Panarin just wasn't scoring. They looked awkward, I'll give you that.

Foligno can skate with them but when he gets the puck he is an offensive sink.

Foligno-Wennberg-Bjorkstand worked well last year in 100+ minutes together. 70% of the goals, 60% possession. They didn't look good in two games but IT'S TWO GAMES. With the line-blender running non-stop don't expect much chemistry for anyone.

Jenner is a possession black hole and can't skate with them.

That's funny, Jenner was dynamite with Wennberg down the stretch last year. They scored in bunches.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Last season, Jenner's possession numbers next to Wennberg were near the bottom of the league.

Neither Foligno nor Jenner have the hands or ability to be in the top-6.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
The lines look so random. I'd really love to know the thought process.

I'd rather see:

Duclair - Nash - Anderson
Jenner - Wennberg - Bjorkstrand
Milano - Stenlund - Foligno
Panarin - Dubois - Atkinson

I'm going to stop listing lines in 1-4 order just so we can stop having tired arguments about who is suited to play 4th line style. 5v5 we want 4 scoring lines who play a decent amount.
I like these lines better than what was tweeted. The 38-10-28 combo is worth trying for this reason. Jenner and Wennberg played their best hockey last year with Vanek. And of all the remaining roster, Bjork possesses some similar skills as Vanek - vision/passing skills, less prolific close in at net but a better wrister.

Reactions: major major

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
Wow, that is really something to think about. Between Nick & Pooh that is at least 35 minutes of ice time per nite.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Same **** as last year with Torts.... Scoring 1.5 goals a game, why get minutes for guys that can put the puck in the net. Instead Foligno will continue to get 20 minutes a night, Wennberg 16, and we wonder why we struggle to score. So much from him supposedly learning from the Karlsson Fiasco, he said he was going to study .

Maybe Torts has adopted Major's philosophy and we now have 4 scoring lines?

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
?

A point of my post was that Torts is doing the opposite of that, despite preaching 4 scoring lines. Milano-Sedlak-Bjorkstrand is not going to play much.

My point was a bit sarcastic in that I know Torts ain't adopting your 4 scoring lines philosophy.

On a side note I am not glad they extended him.

Reactions: The Bread Man

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Really sucks. He was having a good start, and was one of very few forwards actually playing well.Hopefully this is just a bump in his comeback tour. Big opportunity (again) for Wennberg.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
One gift goal and an assist that was special olympian quality. Dubious (pun intended) defensive lapses as well.

If this alters the team for the worse, it's a horrible team. Most teams which thought they were Cup competitive would have bought this guy out-without much debate.

Jones is a rough loss. #17 is not.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
One gift goal and an assist that was special olympian quality. Dubious (pun intended) defensive lapses as well.

If this alters the team for the worse, it's a horrible team. Most teams which thought they were Cup competitive would have bought this guy out-without much debate.

Jones is a rough loss. #17 is not.
Tomm, we will be reminded of a bigger loss, when Bednar brings his avalanche in. He would of been the ideal coach for the jackets

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

The Wheelchair

Jun 13, 2015
Ottawa
The lines look so random. I'd really love to know the thought process.

I'd rather see:

Duclair - Nash - Anderson
Jenner - Wennberg - Bjorkstrand
Milano - Stenlund - Foligno
Panarin - Dubois - Atkinson

I'm going to stop listing lines in 1-4 order just so we can stop having tired arguments about who is suited to play 4th line style. 5v5 we want 4 scoring lines who play a decent amount.
What about Jenner-Wennberg-Anderson? I've come around to the idea of Boone and Josh together, and from memory, Wennberg's been at his best throughout his career when he's had two big, physical, crash-the-net types like Hartnell and Dano or Jenner and Vanek. Plus, Wennberg's defensive IQ might help cover for some of the other two's occasional lapses on that end. Leaving the top line the same, that would make the other two something like Milano-Nash-Foligno and Duclair-Stenlund-Bjorkstrand, neither of which I hate.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Tomm, we will be reminded of a bigger loss, when Bednar brings his avalanche in. He would of been the ideal coach for the jackets

I still remember talking with him for about half an hour during the Cyclones/South Carolina conference finals series in 2009. He was a super guy-very engaging conversationalist. Met James Reimer (now Florida's back up goalie) as well. He was not much of a conversationalist:laugh:. Not a bad kid. Just very reserved like so many Canadians are.

Reactions: The Bread Man

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
What about Jenner-Wennberg-Anderson? I've come around to the idea of Boone and Josh together, and from memory, Wennberg's been at his best throughout his career when he's had two big, physical, crash-the-net types like Hartnell and Dano or Jenner and Vanek. Plus, Wennberg's defensive IQ might help cover for some of the other two's occasional lapses on that end. Leaving the top line the same, that would make the other two something like Milano-Nash-Foligno and Duclair-Stenlund-Bjorkstrand, neither of which I hate.

What about Duclair - Wennberg - Anderson?

major major

Feb 18, 2013

You might be right, the havoc might pull Wennberg into the fight. I'd be really curious to see how Jenner-Wennberg-Anderson do. I also think part of the reason Hartnell and Vanek clicked with Wennberg is because they were very high IQ players and Wennberg followed their lead, so we can't replicate that with Josh. I'd love to see Duclair-Stenlund-Bjorkstrand, while Milano-Nash-Foligno not so much. I'd switch Duclair and Foligno if it comes to that.

Anyways, with any new combos, my approach is that you have to see it to know, and even then you don't know what will last. So I'm not opposed to the idea, it just wouldn't be the first new combos I'd try.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
The idea that Jenner and Wennberg were a "dynamic combo" is truly laughable. They were nothing until Vanek was added to their line. It was only after Vanek was there that Pooh and Jenner became anything other than a waste of ice time. And Vanek himself was quoted in the Dispatch as repeatedly having to tell Pooh to shoot and try to contribute offensively rather than always playing defense first. Anyone trying to claim that Pooh and Jenner were a scoring combination without Vanek is either delusional or lying.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Just a hunch, but when he returns I think there's a decent chance HF CBJ gets their wish and has Wennberg in the press box. The 4th line is doing its job, so I could see Torts keeping Sedlak in. However, there's still a good chance Sedlak sits for Dubinsky.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Just a hunch, but when he returns I think there's a decent chance HF CBJ gets their wish and has Wennberg in the press box. The 4th line is doing its job, so I could see Torts keeping Sedlak in. However, there's still a good chance Sedlak sits for Dubinsky.

There's a pretty big jump from being severely disappointed in Wennberg to thinking that Sedlak is the better player. Wennberg has been better at both ends so far.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
With the exception of one game, the 91-10-28 line has played well. While Wennberg has been unremarkable for the most part this season, Sedlak has been unremarkable for his NHL career. This year's Dubi would bolster the 4h line scoring potential while still offering the feisty style. That said, my guess is that Sedlak will sit (as he should), but Torts will shuffle lines in order to get Dubi back with Boone and Andy. (Put me down as a thumbs down with that move if it happens - at least for now).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad