Dubas has to wear this

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
I know that he’s the golden boy on these boards, but, the bottom line is, he has built a VERY flawed, 1 dimensional, soft AF team.

No grit, no defence, no goaltending = no chance.

Ever since Dubas officially took over for Lou, he has taken us from a comfortable 3rd in the Atlantic to being on the verge of missing the playoffs

Absolutely unacceptable.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Biggest sin at this point seems to be only allocating the cap at near league minimum for the backup spot. Like, wtf is that? Terrible choices.

Reactions: ElbowLander

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Dubas has built a Jenga tower and it’s just about toppled over. Can we please stop pretending we are the 80s Oilers and a thought experiment and just get back to building a proper hockey club? Eschewing fundamentals doesn’t make you smarter than everyone else.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
It’s time for Dubas to sim ahead to the off-season. Feels like a waste of resources to try and patch this monstrosity in some misguided attempt to get to the first round.

So much cap restructuring needs to happen. Feels like a retool of the rebuild is necessary.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Even with a regulation loss tonight, our pace under Keefe (.661) pro-rated over the rest of the season leaves us with 100 pts. So, the sky hasn't fallen.

However, I don't understand his strict adherence to a backup who can't save shots and a defense that can't defend. Seems to me like the exact opposite would be preferable.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
I like most of Dubas's moves. His record isn't perfect, but I think he's done more good than bad. But for the love of hockey please tell me that he isn't another one of these freaking GM's who sit on their hands and dawdle with the goaltending for years. The writing on the wall for Hutchinson has been clear as day for a long time now and these are points that lie at the feet of Dubas. Missing the playoffs can still be blamed on Babcock and injuries, but there's a great big glaring red mark under goaltending that we all know could have saved us. We should have made a move for a backup months ago, but if we don't do something soon we could literally piss away the season in a few winnable games at the start of February.

Lou taught him that "if you have time, use it" but time ran out the second Freddy got injured (honestly, it was months ago if you ask me). And even if we come back and win this game (2nd intermission that I'm typing this) not a single word changes. Goalies are supposed to give you a chance to win, Hutch is doing his absolute best to make us lose tonight and we might win in spite of him.

EDIT: THANKS KYLE. I am happy that he can be a man of action.

Last edited:

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I'll give Dubas this. He's not rushing into bandaid fixes to salvage some meager playoff hope.

Now be a seller at the TDL and colour me impressed.

It’s becoming more and more clear we need to move every UFA asset and just naturally let the chaos take over and recover our first round pick. See how high we can pick and assemble an arsenal of assets to retool.

I’m not sure where the cap space will come from for the retool we need, but that’s will be an off-season project.

As far as Dubas is concerned, it seems like we need to rebuild a brain trust around him. It’s become a self proclaimed progressive echo chamber.

axlrose87

Jul 13, 2018
It’s time for Dubas to sim ahead to the off-season. Feels like a waste of resources to try and patch this monstrosity in some misguided attempt to get to the first round.

So much cap restructuring needs to happen. Feels like a retool of the rebuild is necessary.
One of the big contracts needs to go to address the glaring weaknesses on this team.
Tavares has a no movement clause.
Matthews is just too good and plays too important of a position to trade.
Nylander is completely outplaying his contract.
Marner..... makes a shit ton of money.....

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
I think the leafs should just write the season off. Take all of our ufa's that we don't plan on resigning and trade them at the deadline. Get any young/cheap assets they can get. It's what we desperately need due to overpayments and so much money wrapped up on forwards.

It would mean no playoffs this year for sure, but the team would be in a much better position for a legitimate cup run over the next 2 seasons. Dubas would have a full year of the coach of his choice to see what the team is.

But this is not the mlse way. It's never about the future. It's about what makes us better right this moment.

Throw More Waffles

Oct 9, 2015
One of the big contracts needs to go to address the glaring weaknesses on this team.
Tavares has a no movement clause.
Matthews is just too good and plays too important of a position to trade.
Nylander is completely outplaying his contract.
Marner..... makes a **** ton of money.....
It would have to be Nylander.

Everybody in the world agrees Marner is amazing at hockey... but that outrageous contract would give him much less trade value than you would think...

TheKule

Jun 3, 2011
He's not a perfect GM lord knows. I still like him and want him to stay for a long time, but Ceci was a head scratcher the day of, and so was Sparks. He's a guy that so proudly repudiates hockey orthodxy, you'd think he'd be all over a 1A/1B goalie tandem, which is statistically the superior route to riding a starter/backup tandem. Instead we have league minimum scrubs starting 20 games a year.

Barrie isn't the guy, but his first choice was Brodie out of Calgary IIRC; a guy who, you know, actually plays defense. Only so many RHD on the market these days, I'm not going to gutter him for that.

Hockey Crazy

Dec 30, 2008
I like Dubas as a GM but he has made a couple of costly mistakes. In a way hes like the perfect GM for the Leafs... generally good but with some lapses in judgement

axlrose87

Jul 13, 2018
It would have to be Nylander.

Everybody in the world agrees Marner is amazing at hockey... but that outrageous contract would give him much less trade value than you would think...
I think it needs to be marner.... I think there are teams willing to pay the price to have his skill set. Even though Dubas did his best to ruin his trade value.

Reactions: TML1990

Mar 26, 2010
Dubas’s vision of this run and gun team is officially an epic fail. I have been saying this from the beginning of the season that this maple leafs team is going to miss the playoffs. I took some heat for making that prediction, but it looks like I was not wrong.

This team is f***ed.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
bahahahahaha. I'll fax you the paper cup.
Please tell me how I'm wrong. Leafs are 24th in league wide save percentage entering the night, played at a 78 point pace under Babcock, and have yet to play one game with their full roster this season. They have have not had all 3 of Rielly, Muzzin and Tavares for significant stretches this season and are without their starting goalie right now.

Throw More Waffles

Oct 9, 2015
I think it needs to be marner.... I think there are teams willing to pay the price to have his skill set. Even though Dubas did his best to ruin his trade value.
yeah. If the problem is simply too much money tied up on 4 forwards, Marner makes the most sense to trade at this point. (Well... Tavares does, but the nmc and all that).

So from a cap point of view, it makes sense. But so few teams have enough cap space to make this work, let alone what it would do to their internal cap structure for players looking for new contracts.

He wouldn't get much back if he was traded. But the leafs still might have to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad