Dubas appreciation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
He hired Keefe as coach and would've signed many of the AHL vets to AHL deals to surround our young up and comers like Kap, Dermott, Johnsson etc. Guys like Ben Smith, Mueller, Loverde, Pickard. Also signed Trevor Moore and Mason March Marchment who were undrafted college and Junior free agents.
Loverde really stabilized the defense and allowed dermott and holl to take the next step.
Muller helped brooks and stabilized the forwards iirc

@Dreakmur those were great moves that lead to a Calder cup

Reactions: acrobaticgoalie

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
Martin was waived off the team long before Kyle took over. Komarov couldn't crack the playoffs lineup before Kyle took over.

You "forgot" to mention Muzzin, Clifford, and others.

And people calling Joe Thornton a tough guy now instead of a skill guy is pretty funny.

I gave a complete accurate list earlier in the thread.

I didn't forget Muzzin and Clifford, neither were acquired during the off-season. The best time GM's have to make significant improvements and changes to their teams. So clearly, heading into 2020 season Dubas saw no need to add a players like Clifford that off-season, and only after realizing the Leafs were softer than baby shit he tried to address the issue.

Thornton isn't tough per se, but he does have an agitation element to his game at times, and does his best work down low in the zone and on the boards, weaknesses of this team on the whole.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I didn't forget Muzzin and Clifford, neither were acquired during the off-season. The best time GM's have to make significant improvements and changes to their teams. So clearly, heading into 2020 season Dubas saw no need to add a players like Clifford that off-season, and only after realizing the Leafs were softer than baby shit he tried to address the issue.

Lmao.

Thornton isn't tough per se, but he does have an agitation element to his game at times, and does his best work down low in the zone and on the boards, weaknesses of this team on the whole.

Like, say, John Tavares?

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
LMAO. Now his moves don't count because they didn't happen at the exact time of the year you wanted. My god. :facepalm:

Don't put words in my mouth. But tell me, what do you think changed from the 2019 off-season to the time when Clifford(and Campbell) were acquired considering prior to that Dubas had shown no inclination for a bottom 6 player of that ilk?

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Don't put words in my mouth. But tell me, what do you think changed from the 2019 off-season to the time when Clifford(and Campbell) were acquired considering prior to that Dubas had shown no inclination for a bottom 6 player of that ilk?

Hmmmmm....

So clearly, heading into 2020 season Dubas saw no need to add a players like Clifford that off-season, and only after realizing the Leafs were softer than baby shit he tried to address the issue.

So clearly, heading into the 2020 season, Tampa management saw no neeed to add players like Goodrow or Coleman that offseason, and only after realizing the Lightning were softer than baby shit he tried to address the issue.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON

Maybe the right ones weren't available at the time or the price was wrong? Dubas, like most people cares more about acquiring good players instead of worrying about players that are 'soft as baby shit'.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Don't put words in my mouth.
I'm not. That was literally your argument. You excluded them because they didn't join the team at your arbitrarily chosen time of the year. Even Muzzin, who has been here ever since. That's one of the most ridiculous and intentionally misleading things I've ever heard.
But tell me, what do you think changed from the 2019 off-season to the time when Clifford(and Campbell) were acquired considering prior to that Dubas had shown no inclination for a bottom 6 player of that ilk?
You're simply incorrect that Dubas doesn't look for players like that. Clifford was acquired then because Clifford was available then, and we could afford him then. When he was acquired is really quite irrelevant; the fact is he was acquired.

I'll again suggest you look at when Cup Champion Tampa acquired Coleman and Goodrow.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Here's how Kyle changed the leafs in year one from the team he inherited from Lou.

1. He let 3rd liners JVR and Bozak go, and replaced them with Tavares, with kappy/johnsson bumped up the lineup and guys like leivo/Ennis/Moore filling in behind.

2. Let 4th line C plekanec go, and replaced him with a Lindholm/Gauthier battle.

3. Let #6 dman Polak go, and replaced him with Ozhiganov/Holl battle.

4. Let press box guys Komarov, Moore, and Carrick go.

5. Added #2 dman Muzzin mid-season.

This is what people have decided was Kyle throwing away all grit and going skill only.

Last edited:

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
No one person is responsible for 50 years of futility but like it or not those 50 years have influeneced a large part of the fan base. Let's not forget this is year 7 of the Shanny era.
This is very relevant, at least to anyone who’s been a Leaf fan for more than the time it takes for my morning coffee to go cold..........

Reactions: ToneDog

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
This is very relevant, at least to anyone who’s been a Leaf fan for more than the time it takes for my morning coffee to go cold..........
Agreed. Better to be safe and just shit on Dubas and the Leafs core like you do all the time :rolleyes:

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Again, if you follow his history, none of your points line up. He DRAFTS for skill. He realizes that draft isn't where you get those other things. It's been 2 years. You can't do it all overnight.
If Dubas was in charge of the 2016 Draft I wonder if he would have selected Alex DeBrincat when Toronto had the 32nd overall pick of the 2nd round.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
I think any GM would look like a genius if the likes of Matthews, Marner and Rielly fell right onto their laps. Despite this unearned fortune, Dubas hasn't even been able to get this team past the first round of the playoffs.
Lol. Man if you can honestly give credit to the GM who drafted the consensus #1 in Matthews and the guy who luckily fell to us at 4 in marner, you are out of your mind. Burke and co. Made a shrewd choice in Mo, and Nonis and Co. made the same level pick in Willy. But aside from those picks, our drafts were flat out terrible. Lots to be determined yet with Kyle dubas’ drafts, yet he has produced likely triple the amount of quality picks in his tenure, despite being far further down the draft board. Amirov, Robby, sandy, liljegren, miettinen, niemola, abruzesse, ovcchinicov are all better than any prospect drafted outside of the big 4. And that’s just the names that come to mind, I am definitely missing some.

Ask yourself, would KD have drafted Freddy gauthier? Stuart Percy? Matt Finn? Tyler Biggs? Brad Ross?

The answer is no.

Last edited:
Reactions: stickty111

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
If Dubas was able to get Clifford at that time I wonder if he would have made a difference against Boston in their 2019 playoff series?

Not based on the way he played last year, no.

He wasn't that good, and is not doing that great for STL this year either.

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
Lol. Man if you can honestly give credit to the GM who drafted the consensus #1 in Matthews and the guy who luckily fell to us at 4 in marner, you are out of your mind. Burke and co. Made a shrewd choice in Mo, and Nonis and Co. made the same level pick in Willy. But aside from those picks, our drafts were flat out terrible. Lots to be determined yet with Kyle dubas’ drafts, yet he has produced likely triple the amount of quality picks in his tenure, despite being far further down the draft board. Amirov, Robby, sandy, liljegren, miettinen, niemola, abruzesse, ovcchinicov are all better than any prospect drafted outside of the big 4. And that’s just the names that come to mind, I am definitely missing some.

Ask yourself, would KD have drafted Freddy gauthier? Stuart Percy? Matt Finn? Tyler Biggs? Brad Ross?

The answer is no.
Liljegren was selected by Hunter in 2017. Dubas was promoted in 2018.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad