Jun 22, 2008
No muscle approach
Locker room doesn't matter approach
Team needs diversified talents approached

as opposed to skill skill skill for every player in the room

Simmonds over Kappy
Jumbo over Johnsson
BOGO over Barrie

Again, if you follow his history, none of your points line up. He DRAFTS for skill. He realizes that draft isn't where you get those other things. It's been 2 years. You can't do it all overnight.

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
Simmonds, Brodie and Bogosian were all solid additions. The rest were meh or TBD. I thought it was a B+ off-season at the time, might end up being an A- or even an A. Need to play against MTL, CGY & WPG more to really test this team.
I mean even against those 4 teams, they are 4 and 0 i believe. Small sample size but still

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
I agree. Two wins over a sad sack Canucks team have some Leaf fans lining Bay Street for the parade but Dubas is standing pretty today. Of course, that could change pretty quickly if they lay an egg in the upcoming Hab games.

Or people are looking at the various improvements like D, SOG, etc.?

I don't think anyone is planning anything, just looking at direction. Vancouver has no bearing on anything. We will undoubtedly lay eggs on the season. Every team does.

Reactions: stickty111

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Our offseason acquisitions are really starting to shine. Bogosian sucked against Montreal and has settled down into a rock solid third pairing defender. I love that he brings some physicality to the spot, but even more so that he makes nice simple outlet passes consistently and effectively. Our controlled breakouts this year are awesome, I can't remember the last time I was screaming, "get it ouuuuut!". That used to be a multi-times-a-period occurence. Simmonds took a few games to get rolling, but he's also looked fantastic. I guess he just needed those pre-season games, but now that he's on his game I'm surprised to see that he's fast. How did he only score 8 goals last year? Really nice pickup and having a guy who will drop the gloves in the top9/top6 is great. Boyd is looking real nice at 4c as well. Jumbo is hurt but he was looking good. I don't care for Vesey, but he's on a third line that plays in the other team's zone all game (even though they have no idea how to score) and Lehtonen is coming along and there's clearly a player there.

It's almost certain that this sunshine and roses is due to our streak of wins and current thumping of an AHL team, but big ups to Dubas for building out the bottom of the roster on a shoestring budget.

Reactions: Menzinger

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Or people are looking at the various improvements like D, SOG, etc.?

I don't think anyone is planning anything, just looking at direction. Vancouver has no bearing on anything. We will undoubtedly lay eggs on the season. Every team does.

Sure there will be letdowns but we are rolling and we should not in the upcoming home and home with the Habs. They need to show that they are not the same team that went into Florida last season and got trounced 7-1 when they were fighting for 3rd in the division.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
The funny thing is he's only been GM for a relatively short amount of time. Its not as if a GM is able to 100% be able to transform a team into his vision after only a few months on the job.

We're finakkybnow seeing a closer interpretation of what he had for the team out on the ice. His preferred coach is finally behind the bench to start the year, and there aren't any problematic contracts from previous GMs that need to still be dealt with. The guys that are on this team are all there because Dubas wants them to be.

Hes hasn't been perfect, but one of his best qualities is learning from mistakes (though folks do somewhat over-exaggerate this - Dubas has never said he hates rough or heavy forechecking hockey - its a complete myth to suggest otherwise). So despite a few hiccups along the way I've been pretty happy with this latest version of the team

When I heard Bergevin has been the Habs' GM for 8 years, I realised that maybe Kyle will get more time even if we don't win a playoff round.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
No muscle approach
Locker room doesn't matter approach
Team needs diversified talents approached

as opposed to skill skill skill for every player in the room

Simmonds over Kappy
Jumbo over Johnsson
BOGO over Barrie

It was actually

Jumbo over kappy
Robertson over johnsson
Simmonds over Clifford
Brodie over Barrie
Bogo over Ceci

And tbh he would have kept one of kappy/johnsson if the cap had gone up a normal amount.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Nobody waited for Lou to win a playoffs series before gushing over him.

Burkie and Nonnis set the bar very low for Lou. The bar was higher for Dubas and the way things played out with Lou did not help Dubas' cause. Add to that that Lou did well on the Island and Leafs continued to lose in round #1 and it is a perfect storm. Dubas seems to have the house in order now so he deserves credit. We just gotto hope this is not a mirage and unfortunately we won't find out until things return to "normal".

Reactions: ACC1224

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
It was actually

Jumbo over kappy
Robertson over johnsson
Simmonds over Clifford
Brodie over Barrie
Bogo over Ceci

And tbh he would have kept one of kappy/johnsson if the cap had gone up a normal amount.
I'd say Kap - no. He did well to,sell high in him. I tbink he's a bit of a headcase too

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
People: I DEMAND that we get franchise record-setting point totals every year!
People: I DEMAND that we win playoff rounds, no matter what happens or who we face!
People: I DEMAND that Dubas walk in here and sign multiple of the best young players in the entire cap era to team discounts!!
People: I DEMAND that Dubas never lose a trade!!
People: I DEMAND that Dubas doesn't get credit for his drafting until they make NHL impacts!!! I don't care how they are progressing!!!
People: I DEMAND that Dubas follow my specific and completely arbitrary defense development "plan"!!!
People: I DEMAND that Dubas doesn't get credit for half of his signings because they like Toronto!!!! Until I don't like them, then they're his fault!!!!
People: I DEMAND that Dubas get rid of all anchor contracts left by the predecessor, but not pay anything!!!!
People: I DEMAND that we must endlessly improve through a first ever multi-year flat cap and global pandemic at the worst possible time!!!!!
People: I DEMAND...
People: I DEMAND....
Same People: Dubas, like, has it like so easy guys, am I right?

:laugh::eyeroll:

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
People: I DEMAND that we win playoff rounds, no matter what happens or who we face!
People: I DEMAND that Dubas walk in here and sign multiple of the best young players in the entire cap era to team discounts!!
People: I DEMAND that Dubas doesn't get credit for his drafting until they make NHL impacts!!! I don't care how they are progressing!!!
People: I DEMAND that Dubas follow my specific and completely arbitrary defense development "plan"!!!
People: I DEMAND that Dubas doesn't get credit for half of his signings because they like Toronto!!!! Until I don't like them, then they're his fault!!!!
People: I DEMAND that Dubas get rid of all anchor contracts left by the predecessor, but not pay anything!!!!
People: I DEMAND that we must endlessly improve through a first ever multi-year flat cap and global pandemic at the worst possible time!!!!!

You do realise that this is the Toronto Maple Leafs where you are a God if you win and the devil if you lose and it has been 54 years since Army hoisted the Cup?

Reactions: rumman

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
It was actually

Jumbo over kappy
Robertson over johnsson
Simmonds over Clifford
Brodie over Barrie
Bogo over Ceci

Malholtra over McFarlane. Never though much of the hiring at the time but he has to be given credit for some of this success. Teams can't get away with garbage if your PP is your true enforcer (of course if the refs are willing to call penalties).

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
All skill? New approach?

Adds by Year:

Yr1: Tavares, Muzzin, Ozhiganov, Gauthier, Lindholm, Ennis, Petan, Moore

Yr2: Mikheyev, Kerfoot, Barrie, Ceci, Holl, Spezza, Clifford, Engvall, Shore, Timashov, Sandin

Yr3: Brodie, Simmonds, Thornton, Vesey, Bogosian, Lehtonen, Boyd, Barabanov, Anderson

If you can’t see an abrupt change in strategy there, I’m not sure there’s much point even continuing a discussion.

Reactions: ToneDog

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
People say this yet completely ignore his Marlie work. Now you might say he drafts for skill but draft isn't the only place you acquire players. It's smart to draft on skill because you tend to end up with capital. Drafting grit etc. is foolhardy.

He didn't learn or change anything, some folks just haven't followed what he does very closely.

What exactly was his Marlies work? How many players did he acquire as the GM of that team?

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
You do realise that this is the Toronto Maple Leafs where you are a God if you win and the devil if you lose and it has been 54 years since Army hoisted the Cup?
And that's the exact type of short-sighted and instant gratification mindset that has heavily contributed to our lack of Cup for so long.

Dubas has not been here for 50 years. He's been here for just over two, and he's been doing a great job. What happened for the overwhelming majority of those years has zero relevance to right now.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Burkie and Nonnis set the bar very low for Lou. The bar was higher for Dubas and the way things played out with Lou did not help Dubas' cause. Add to that that Lou did well on the Island and Leafs continued to lose in round #1 and it is a perfect storm. Dubas seems to have the house in order now so he deserves credit. We just gotto hope this is not a mirage and unfortunately we won't find out until things return to "normal".
Lou had his team on pace for almost a 10 point decrease and no playoffs and got saved by a pandemic. They are currently running around a 70 point pace. Season is young but if short sample sizes are people's thing....

Reactions: Lumberg

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
If you can’t see an abrupt change in strategy there, I’m not sure there’s much point even continuing a discussion.

True

I mean adding muzzin and Clifford his first two deadlines was definitely an all skill approach and making Brodie his prime signing this year was definitely an all toughness and grit approach.

Totally abrupt change there.

Auston 316

Jun 25, 2016

Geez man stop throwing waffles :)

Reactions: Oscar Peterson

RogerR

Feb 2, 2021
At the very least let’s wait until the Leafs have won a round of playoff hockey before we anoint Dubas the boy genius everyone seems to think he is. Anyone remember the tortoise and the hare fable?
Will you have the same standard when people say he needs to be fired when the team has a cold spell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad