Dubas appreciation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
No mistake. People value things differently. The Islanders value Komorov for being a leader and an example for their young players. He’s a hard worker, of high character, and one of the ‘good people’ you have when you surround your organization with good people. They pay a premium to have him in their locker room, on team flights, in the hotel, dinners on the road etc etc.

That’s worth something, even if you’re too ignorant to see it.

I don’t think many people would say Tavares is one of the best 5 players in the game but Dubas paid him as such, and until he’s 34 years old. That’s wayyy too much for my liking, but Dubas has a difference of opinion. Would you call that a mistake?

We get those for league min with our gm [MOD]

Last edited by a moderator:

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Dubas has really evolved, in terms of team makeup. Our failures have forced a philosophical reset. We have good team balance now, LOTS of skill, but more grit and size to compliment. Hockey isn’t just math, not that he didn’t know it, but it’s more apparent now.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
Dubas has really evolved, in terms of team makeup. Our failures have forced a philosophical reset. We have good team balance now, LOTS of skill, but more grit and size to compliment. Hockey isn’t just math, not that he didn’t know it, but it’s more apparent now.

Yeah, Moneyball doesn't work in hockey. Baseball is the most perfect sport for that approach, it's all average, WAR, OPS etc. as each play is basically a one-on-one set play. Pitcher vs. batter.

NHL requires four lines and three pairs, going against the other teams in constant flow and a variety of matchups. Little decisions that win a puck, clear a player, throw a check , rally your team with a few words on the bench etc. lead to success and it often isn't reflected in stats alone.

I have yet to see a bad Dubas trade, other than the Lehtonen move which was him doing a solid for the reputation of the club for a guy who clearly wasn't going to play. I have no issue with giving a guy a shot at his dream when he isn't getting a chance here.

Last edited:

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Yeah, Moneyball doesn't work in hockey. Baseball is the most perfect sport for that approach, it's all average, WAR, OPS etc. as each play is basically a one-on-one set play. Pitcher vs. batter.

NHL requires four lines and three pairs, going against the other teams in constant flow and a variety of matchups. Little decisions that win a puck, clear a player, throw a check , rally your team with a few words on the bench etc. lead to success and it often isn't reflected in stats alone.

I have yet to see a bad Dubas trade yet, other than the Lehtonen move which was him doing a solid for the reputation of the club for a guy who clearly wasn't going to play. I have no issue with giving a guy a shot at his dream when he isn't getting a chance here.
I hate the Kadri trade, but GM’s make so many moves, I take things in totality. We ended up with Brodie anyways, so even there it’s worked out.

A good GM is constantly evolving and showing pragmatism, you have to give Dubas credit for not being stubborn and moving forward. This current team, apart from the core, is so different now and theoretically I think better built to succeed, sport being what it is.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I guess the next trade with BJs will be free since the unwritten rule is the forth trade with the same team in the same season is free?

Lainehasaweirdface

May 14, 2015
They would represent a very small minority. Most don’t care how he looks or speaks, they want the team to win or at least compete in the playoffs past round 1. If they do that, nobody is criticizing because nobody cares. They’d be happy the team is winning.

Most adults I’ve spoken to are skeptical someone whose never played competitive hockey understands the bones required to build a winner (he’s already conceded that he underestimated certain elements and worked this offseason to address) It’s fair to be skeptical of this, and likewise with a guy who was able to skip the line because of nepotism.

I’m all for innovation and being ahead of the curve, I’m just not sold Dubas is. I think he inherited a good program but has done little with it to this point.

Hopefully that changes this year. They’ve been gift wrapped a weak division and a trip to the final 4 of the playoffs.
How can you possibly think he's done little with this group? Just a clueless take. He's been one of the most active GMs.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Wasn't he quoted as saying something like draft for skill, trade for grit? He knew he needed to get the skill group right first though.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008

The pieces you speak of are the easiest, cheapest adds and should come last. He's less than 3 years in with two shortened COVID seasons. Exactly how fast do people expect him to go? In that short time frame there is what, two Lou players left, completely revamped D, from almost barren prospect pool to pretty solid.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Wasn't he quoted as saying something like draft for skill, trade for grit? He knew he needed to get the skill group right first though.

Yeah, he's quashed that rep of only liking small skilled players in the last year or so.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Yeah, he's quashed that rep of only liking small skilled players in the last year or so.

He does at the draft as more of a tactic but on the ice hes finally come around after seeing the impact Muzzin had on this team. Theres no way around having a well balanced team.

3blizzard4

Mar 29, 2021
Toronto
Everyone and their mom on HFBoards is salty at Dubas for being able to manage this roster with this much talent in a cap era. They all said he wouldn’t be able to do it. He has done it and much
More.

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
This Leafs team has something it's lacked in many years prior : Dimension.

It feels like this team has all the tools to win a variety of different playoff styles, grind out games and high scoring ones and everything in between.

Obviously we can't count our chickens before they hatch but Leafs are looking like a growing beast heading into the playoffs. The depth is simply off the charts, and what a story with Jack Cambell too, Soup!

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
I have to agree with Dubas this was the year to go for it, North Division and all. I'm not sure he is the best negotiator, in fact I'm sure he's not. But nice team we have going into the playoffs.

Reactions: fahad203

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
This Leafs team has something it's lacked in many years prior : Dimension.

It feels like this team has all the tools to win a variety of different playoff styles, grind out games and high scoring ones and everything in between.

Obviously we can't count our chickens before they hatch but Leafs are looking like a growing beast heading into the playoffs. The depth is simply off the charts, and what a story with Jack Cambell too, Soup!
Yes yes yes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad