Dubas appreciation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
As of today, the Leafs have the following players who have experience playing the following positions at F. Keefe is going to have a nightmare figuring this all out :laugh:. In no particular order...

Left WingCenterRight Wing
Nylander*Matthews*Marner*
Hyman*Tavares*Nylander
Mikheyev*Kerfoot*Simmonds**
KerfootEngvall**Spezza**
Galchenyuk*Foligno*Hyman
FolignoNash***Mikheyev
EngvallSpezzaFoligno
Barabanov**Thornton**Galchenyuk
Robertson**GalchenyukBarabanov
Thornton Nylander Nash
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

*Daily game players, Nylander/Foligno after they clear protocols.
**Load managed players or players moved in and out to find the most effective line-ups for the post season.
***Post season addition/injured.

We are literally 10 deep with players who are experienced at the NHL level at each F position. This is a deep/experienced/motivated/talented group.

Left DRight D
RiellyBrodie
MuzzinHoll
DermottBogosian
Sandin*Liljegren*
MarincinDuszak
? ?
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

*I would encourage they be given a few games with appropriate partners to get up to NHL speed. Give Rielly a night off and put Sandin with Brodie in the 2nd D slot. The same with Liljegren replacing Holl. They need some NHL pace of play before the end of season.
?One more addition today, please Kyle. Hopefully one who has some experience playing both sides. Appropriate names have been suggested. Make it so.

Goaltenders
Campbell
Rittich
Hutchinson
Andersen*
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

*Expected to return during the playoffs?

I don't think anyone can complain about the team that Dubas has constructed. Talent at every position, depth, experience, some jam. It's now up to the players and coaches, and the hockey gods.

Mentat

Sep 19, 2020
The day is not over and we may yet see another piece of the puzzle be added.
Even if the roster stays as is of right now, Dubas has given Keefe all the tools he needs to deliver us a Stanley Cup. Is our lineup the most stellar in the NHL? No, it is not. However, he do have a fighting chance and it´s up to the boys on the ice to make it happen.
I believe that now we are propper and not just namesake contenders for the Lord Stanley Cup.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
I am. Just laughing at the idea that Andersen is going to come back and play in the playoffs after playing bad for 2 years and not playing at all for 2 months.

Thanks for clarifying. Makes a lot more sense then 'lol no'. I'd see what he can do over playing Hutch, glad we've got Rittich, hope Campbell stays healthy.

Leafs1991

Nov 17, 2015
playoff experience.. everyone is saying that ...
foligno has never shined in the playoffs. everyone remembers him for 1 good series against the leafs . who cares. the guy has like 2 non empty net goals in his last 5 or 6 playoff series. (last 4 years)..,,

this team would be alot better with grandlund and laughton. than just 1 foligno.
So all player have to offer is goals? Good to know. And he has had other good series than just the Leafs. I don't think you watch Foligno play at all.

Reactions: Teeder Keon

Ashdown2

Aug 19, 2006
So all player have to offer is goals? Good to know. And he has had other good series than just the Leafs. I don't think you watch Foligno play at all.

im glad i need to keep repeating myself ..
foligno is FINE hes a good pickup but not worth that price .... in reality we picked up a checking 3rd liner for a first round pick which bad asset management.

how could would a 2 player upgrade at that price feel like ?
and yes there is more to hockey than scoring goals, but not for the assets we shipped back ... you should be getting an IMPACT player at that price. Foligno is not an impact player

Leafs1991

Nov 17, 2015
im glad i need to keep repeating myself ..
foligno is FINE hes a good pickup but not worth that price .... in reality we picked up a checking 3rd liner for a first round pick which bad asset management.

how could would a 2 player upgrade at that price feel like ?
and yes there is more to hockey than scoring goals, but not for the assets we shipped back ... you should be getting an IMPACT player at that price. Foligno is not an impact player
I haven't read everything in this thread. You shouldn't expect people to.

It's not bad asset management when those are the current prices to acquire players with big cap hits that are 2nd/3rd liners. Anyone higher than that and big-time prospects would have been given up. Considering Toronto wasn't the only team giving up firsts this year and last for the same type of deals, this isn't an overpayment given the cap situations. Any other years, I'd agree with you.

Reactions: cipher

Ashdown2

Aug 19, 2006
I haven't read everything in this thread. You shouldn't expect people to.

It's not bad asset management when those are the current prices to acquire players with big cap hits that are 2nd/3rd liners. Anyone higher than that and big-time prospects would have been given up. Considering Toronto wasn't the only team giving up firsts this year and last for the same type of deals, this isn't an overpayment given the cap situations. Any other years, I'd agree with you.

we will see what the other trade players are going for but so far its not looking great ... if foligno is the highest price paid for a player by a longshot then very clear an overpayment

in the end i still think getting multiple players would have fixed 2 issues in this lineup and would have been a better asset management move.
imagine laughton and grandlund for the same price we paid for only foligno ? its crazy pants the price foligno went for.

Leafs1991

Nov 17, 2015
we will see what the other trade players are going for but so far its not looking great ... if foligno is the highest price paid for a player by a longshot then very clear an overpayment

in the end i still think getting multiple players would have fixed 2 issues in this lineup and would have been a better asset management move.
imagine laughton and grandlund for the same price we paid for only foligno ? its crazy pants the price foligno went for.
Have you seen what Savard went price wise? It's very similar as well. Ideally, any other year that would be an overpayment but considering the circumstances with the cap space, it isn't.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Thank you thank you thank you
GM of year baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Now finish it off and get us da big O ... don't worry about people who will be pissed with da overpay - who cares about them ... getter done baby

Ashdown2

Aug 19, 2006
Have you seen what Savard went price wise? It's very similar as well. Ideally, any other year that would be an overpayment but considering the circumstances with the cap space, it isn't.

well yeah ... the exact same price ... lol
i would table that a top 4 dman is worth more than and 3rd line winger and yet the price was identical.

its overpayment however you slice it ... adding the argument about eating cap still doesnt justify it when the player is really overpaid compared to his cap. in reality it makes it worse because hen a player is overpaid usually the compensation is less because of the cap implications.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
playoff experience.. everyone is saying that ...
foligno has never shined in the playoffs. everyone remembers him for 1 good series against the leafs . who cares. the guy has like 2 non empty net goals in his last 5 or 6 playoff series. (last 4 years)..,,

this team would be alot better with grandlund and laughton. than just 1 foligno.
Practically nobody agrees with this take likely.

Reactions: Petrus

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
I think he’s addressed the needs pretty well.
We don’t need a hall, we have Matthews Marner nylander and Tavares what we need is depth and an element we lack for the playoffs; sandpaper
Added some sandpaper and a good defensive forward in foligno, think we overpaid a bit, but it is what it is, gotta go big or go home
Added depth, Rittich forces hutch to his rightful place at 4(3 with Andersen out for the season). ben Hutton is good 6/7 dman
Got a spot for Robertson with barabanov being gone
I think he’s done pretty well

Shooter14

57 years now and still hoping.
Feb 5, 2018
Well the next 2 drafts will only leave the Leafs with 3 picks each.Whats the scouting department going to do?

Mentat

Sep 19, 2020
Well the next 2 drafts will only leave the Leafs with 3 picks each.Whats the scouting department going to do?

Bring a lot of coffee to the draft. A LOT.
They are going to need it.

As for Dubas, i have to praise him. It would seem he finally recognizes the need for sandpaper and leadership to gel with a talented roster and he has been delivering, slowly but surely. As for this TDL:
We needed a gritty experienced forward, check.
We needed a backup goalie, check.
We (sorda) needed some defensive depth, check. Is this Marincin´s swan song? Hope so.

The roster is looking better today than a few days ago. No glaring weaknesses, and alround solid choices for Keefe to work with. Dubas did his job well and gifted the team more tools to succeed.
It´s up to the coach and the boys on the ice to deliver the goods. This is the best chance we have had in decades. Make it count and make us proud!

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
I appreciate how ruthlessly efficient he is at plugging holes on this roster since losing in the bubble to now.

Offseason needs at the end of last season:

Top Four Defenseman: Check
Grit throughout the lineup: Check
Goaltending Depth: Check (even if waivers f***ed us)
Veteran Leadership: Check
Bolster Prospect Pool: Check

Trade Deadline Needs:

Middle 6 Forward: Check
Defensive Depth: Check
Goaltending Depth: Check
Defensive minded players: Check
More Grit: Check

His recognition and execution for this roster has been clinical. Canadian Division is ours to lose at this point.

TheGreatOne11

Jun 29, 2009
Toronto
Well not the big swing I was expecting and hoping for.

But very well done by an asset management standpoint.

We got a true grit top 9 forward, goalie depth and defensive depth without giving up any prospects in the pipeline.

It's an A for Dubas.

The first was steep but that was the market, plus retaining such salary. The draft will be a crapshoot this year anyways.

We can compete for a cup with this roster, and the future prospects are still in the cupboards with Lil, Sandin, Amirov and Robertson.

Very well done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad