Proposal: Drouin

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I just hope they won't play him on the 4th line for 5 minutes a night and make him "earn it."

Could you imagine?

Kunitz-Crosby-Hornqvist
Cullen-Malkin-Kessel
Plotnikov-Bonino-Fehr
Drouin-Porter-Bennett
Maybe Sheary on L2.

They totally would try to **** over Drouin while JR tried not to stroke out. Play more like Kunitz! Channel Dupuis!

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I still hang on to Bennett, his injury this time was something that could have taken anyone out.

He was having a pretty damn good season up to that point.

Hossa die Waldfee

Oct 29, 2015
I still hang on to Bennett, his injury this time was something that could have taken anyone out.

He was having a pretty damn good season up to that point.

If they would want something like Kunitz+Bennett for Drouin+Carle I would do the trade without hesitation. I like Bennett but first he is a RW where we have Horny, Kessel, Sprong already as top 6 options. At LW we have Perron who I'm pretty sure will be gone at the end of the season. Second Bennett is just not reliable enough at the moment to be a top 6 option at this time.

But I'm certain TB would not be interested in Bennett. But I would do Kunitz-Pouliot for Drouin-Carle, too. For most just to get rid of Kunitz and with the emergence of Dumo our top 4 left side D should be set for the future. Make them retain 0,5-1m at Carle's deal because he is horrible :laugh:. Then buy him out next off season.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
If the Pens go after any prospect I would rather see them go after Meyer from the Sharks. Big heavy body with great hands and goal scoring. Plays a James Neal kind of game.

Maybe a Pouliot for Meyer trade works. Then make a trade for Savard from CBJ. I think as bad as the Pens defense seems that one more middle of the pack defensemen will make everything else fall into place.

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014
I thought most here wanted to get bigger and more physical up front? And yet I see all these trade for Drouin proposals. Shouldn't we be targeting anyone different than a Drouin type of player?

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space
I thought most here wanted to get bigger and more physical up front? And yet I see all these trade for Drouin proposals. Shouldn't we be targeting anyone different than a Drouin type of player?

We need a LW and there's nothing preventing us from also wanting to get tougher. You take what you can. Of course a tough talented LW would be ideal.

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014
We need a LW and there's nothing preventing us from also wanting to get tougher. You take what you can. Of course a tough talented LW would be ideal.

He just got sent down to the minors. Clearly there is something wrong with his game at the moment. Doubt he would be the answer to our LW issues for now.

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space
He just got sent down to the minors. Clearly there is something wrong with his game at the moment. Doubt he would be the answer to our LW issues for now.

Yeah but the fact that he has had a problem with Yman's org is exactely why we should at least try to get him out of there. It's all about the cost & it may be lower than ever now so...

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
if you are the Red Wings or the Kings or the Blackhawks, you can look at a person who has struggled in another organization and say, 'we're going to snatch up that talent and mold him to fit our structure."

If you're the Penguins, who are a tire fire, you cannot. The Penguins are in no position to judge the mishandling of prospects by others, nor are they in any position to undo that mishandling.

Hossa die Waldfee

Oct 29, 2015

I think he is, or they are feared of him, disrupting the locker room. He has demanded a trade way before being sent down. I think he is very pissed at Cooper. He does not want to play a 4th line game. Questionable attitude, I'll give you that.

Overall I think we need a skilled LW as much as we need a tough one.

Perfect scenario in my opinion would be:
skilled LW-Sid-Horny
tough LW-Geno-Kessel

The fact that Drouin is cost controlled for the prime of Geno/Sid makes it a very intresting personality.

But apparently TPL is deep on LHD so I don't see a way we could snag him.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
It sounds as if the Rangers are heavily interested in Drouin, and they certainly have the trade chips to get him (Kreider for Drouin?). The Pens don't have the assets to bring him in, we don't have a top-6 winger that they would want that makes sense for us to move.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
It sounds as if the Rangers are heavily interested in Drouin, and they certainly have the trade chips to get him (Kreider for Drouin?). The Pens don't have the assets to bring him in, we don't have a top-6 winger that they would want that makes sense for us to move.

That's pretty much reliant in Yzerman loving Kunitz. Crazier things have happened but I wouldn't bet on it.

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014
Yeah but the fact that he has had a problem with Yman's org is exactely why we should at least try to get him out of there. It's all about the cost & it may be lower than ever now so...

I would trust Stevie Y's decisions over JR and company's any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

If they feel he doesn't have it to be a top 6 wing in the NHL thats good enough for me.

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space
I would trust Stevie Y's decisions over JR and company's any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

If they feel he doesn't have it to be a top 6 wing in the NHL thats good enough for me.

You'd think that'd be based on their assessment of Drouin as a player but there might be more to it.

Anyway, Drouin is: skilled, soft, passer

ideal LW: skilled, tough, either passer, shooter or both

If the kid's attitude is related to how Y's org treated him than he may pan out here for an affordable price (trade), then you lock him for cheap. We may have to wait on that one if it's not a bargain.

Of course we could also end up having the same problem with a kid that doesn't want to play bottom 6 minutes...

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
I think he is, or they are feared of him, disrupting the locker room. He has demanded a trade way before being sent down. I think he is very pissed at Cooper. He does not want to play a 4th line game. Questionable attitude, I'll give you that.

Overall I think we need a skilled LW as much as we need a tough one.

Perfect scenario in my opinion would be:
skilled LW-Sid-Horny
tough LW-Geno-Kessel

The fact that Drouin is cost controlled for the prime of Geno/Sid makes it a very intresting personality.

But apparently TPL is deep on LHD so I don't see a way we could snag him.

I agree with the above, but I also think we've got internal options for that skilled LW in house: Perron, Bennett, Sprong.

I also think we are in no position to move defense for anything, unless it's Cole/Lovejoy, and those guys don't have the value.

So unless you can snag Drouin for something like Perron + Bonino, which I doubt you can, we are stuck.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal

From what McGuire is hearing is that Yzerman would want a top D in return (prospect) Something similar to Columbus but of course not as good as Jones

Too bad Pouliot is not right handed

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014
I agree with the above, but I also think we've got internal options for that skilled LW in house: Perron, Bennett, Sprong.

I also think we are in no position to move defense for anything, unless it's Cole/Lovejoy, and those guys don't have the value.

So unless you can snag Drouin for something like Perron + Bonino, which I doubt you can, we are stuck.

I doubt TB could take that cap hit.

Not that they would even consider it.

pensfan71

Jun 9, 2010
if you are the Red Wings or the Kings or the Blackhawks, you can look at a person who has struggled in another organization and say, 'we're going to snatch up that talent and mold him to fit our structure."

If you're the Penguins, who are a tire fire, you cannot. The Penguins are in no position to judge the mishandling of prospects by others, nor are they in any position to undo that mishandling.

Do you think we're even in on Drouin?

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

Boy is that not the understatement of the century.

Penguins seems like the toddler what would pick up the square and try to jam it into the circle cutout...and just leave it as if to say "meh, **** close enough. This is just so I can show mommy so she'll clap and feed me".

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014
If Drouin hated life in Tampa can you imagine how miserable he would be with this train wreck?

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
That's pretty much reliant in Yzerman loving Kunitz. Crazier things have happened but I wouldn't bet on it.

Some of the Lightning fans seem to think Cooper has a bit of Bylsma in him lately. Showing too much favoritism towards washed-up vets and career AHLers. Obviously there would have to be more than Kunitz in the deal, but it wouldn't be too far outside the realm of possibilities to think they would see some value in Kunitz.

On a side note, it's kind of sad to see one of the more fun to watch teams last year go down a path similar to the one the Penguins have the last few seasons.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad