Just batting around some ideas:

LW Drouin (25, 3 yrs, $5.5M, UFA)

~for~

2020 18th overall pick

Would this work for NJ?

In before Habs fans say:
"Habs don't need more picks!"
"We're trying to get wingers, not give them away"

Calm down. This would be one move to open cap space to sign Domi and make a couple other moves. Not married to it, just exploring options.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Nope. Rather keep Drouin. Soft forward yes but the kid is entering prime years and he has looked good with Suzuki. Drouin is late on the maturity scale. Trading him for low value is not the right move by the Habs. Drouin is more coachable than Domi

Reactions: AlexGretzchenvid

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
I don't really have an interest in that as a Devils fan, but I'm not a Drouin fan, admittedly. He's a guy I target in a change of scenery type deal..not giving up a first round pick straight up for him, if you know what I mean.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
I feel like I've been saying this a lot lately: probably fair in terms of value, but why is a rebuilding team giving up a 1st for a guy who is in his prime right now and will be UFA when the Devils are ready to compete?

No disrespect to Douin, who I like, but unless we're trading for a defenseman I would rather just draft a prospect at #18.

Jakomyte

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
I think Drouin would be traded it a good offer comes along, but I don't think he's at the point where he is an anchor that needs to be ditched for any return.

He also showed some good signs with Suzuki in the playoffs, so unless Bergevin gets an offer he can't refuse, I see him as Suzuki's LW going into next season, at least to start.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
If we’re trading away 18OA or 20OA, it has to be for a top-4 defensive LHD (preferably on the young side) or in a package for a game-breaking forward.

Drouin is neither of those.

His “game”—if you can call it that—is literally the last thing the Devils should be adding to their young forward group.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Whats it based on, then?

Based on the coaching and usage. Domi is way more stubborn vs Drouin. Both had defensive commitment issues and Drouin focused on it more this past year.

I think Domi figures it out but was more upset that Suzuki took his center job where Julien bounced him all over the line-up. Drouin got a spot with Suzuki in the playoffs and played well. Domi got the short stick cause Julien was all over his commitment to a 200' game.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I don't see why NJ would want to add him to their roster? Is he still worth a 1st?

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Nope. Rather keep Drouin. Soft forward yes but the kid is entering prime years and he has looked good with Suzuki. Drouin is late on the maturity scale. Trading him for low value is not the right move by the Habs. Drouin is more coachable than Domi
More like "Suzuki has looked good and Drouin has gotten a lot of secondary assists playing on his line."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad