Proposal: Drouin to NJ

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
More like "Suzuki has looked good and Drouin has gotten a lot of secondary assists playing on his line."

You are incorrect sir. You should actually watch the games or fact check your knee jerk type comments. Drouin is actually underrated with his vision. Soft winger yes but his skating/skill is underrated. Prime years coming and you just wait to see what he can do if the Habs top 9 has better talent and our coach stops bouncing around players cause Danault gets to play with Tatar and Gallagher.

Drouin in the playoffs:
- 10 games played
- 7 pts with 1 goal
- 4 primary assists
- 2 secondary assists

IcyData » Player Stats » Primary and Secondary Assists for 2019-2020 Playoffs

Last edited:
Reactions: Demon Wolf

DaPhazz

Jun 30, 2016
If we’re trading away 18OA or 20OA, it has to be for a top-4 defensive LHD (preferably on the young side) or in a package for a game-breaking forward.

Drouin is neither of those.

His “game”—if you can call it that—is literally the last thing the Devils should be adding to their young forward group.

His ''game'' would make the Devils "game" a lot less beige.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Imo there’s not a chance Drouin (with his contract) has that value. Habs would need to add.

Zahra Starker

Mar 3, 2020
Toronto
How many CHL Defenseman of the Year trophies has Caufield won? Checkmate.

None because he plays in a better league than the CHL and he isn't a defenseman. 0 logic.

Wanna talk about awards?

NCAA freshman of the year
Big ten scoring leader

All that playing vs 22-28 year olds not against 17-18 year olds

Also being 1 year younger than ty Smith.

On top literally every scout and analyst on the face of the earth has caufield in their top 10 NHL prospects outside the NHL. Ty Smith wasn't in the top 15 once.

Next time think before talking. A forward can't win an award in a league and position he doesn't play in.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
None because he plays in a better league than the CHL and he isn't a defenseman. 0 logic.

Wanna talk about awards?

Big ten scoring leader

On top literally every scout and analyst on the face of the earth has caufield in their top 10 NHL prospects outside the NHL. Ty Smith wasn't in the top 15 once.

Next time think before talking. A forward can't win an award in a league and position he doesn't play in.

The fact that you took the time to write all of this up in response to a clearly facetious post....

devils29

Jan 9, 2019

Wanna talk about awards?

Big ten scoring leader

Now I understand that Caufield is a MTL prospect so he is automatically 2-3x better than Everyone else but there’s a bunch of lists out right now that have both Caufield and Smith in the top 10. And the devils need defense way more than another small undersized winger.

Zahra Starker

Mar 3, 2020
Toronto
Now I understand that Caufield is a MTL prospect so he is automatically 2-3x better than Everyone else but there’s a bunch of lists out right now that have both Caufield and Smith in the top 10. And the devils need defense way more than another small undersized winger.

And Montreal needs an elite goalscorer more than another undersized soft D. See how that works?

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
I'm sure you would be but my standards aren't as low as yours

Don't lash out at me because of your inability to grasp the context of a post. Just raise your hand up as quick as possible when someone posts and perhaps you'll be able to catch that glibness before it flies over your head again. Keep trying, you'll get there.

Now if you'll excuse me, the length of this conversation with you is way out of proportion to my interest in it.

Zahra Starker

Mar 3, 2020
Toronto
Don't lash out at me because of your inability to grasp the context of a post. Just raise your hand up as quick as possible when someone posts and perhaps you'll be able to catch that glibness before it flies over your head again. Keep trying, you'll get there.

Now if you'll excuse me, the length of this conversation with you is way out of proportion to my interest in it.

I never had any interest in starting the conversation. You did. Lol.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012

Wanna talk about awards?

Big ten scoring leader

Reactions: Davegarri

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Just batting around some ideas:

LW Drouin (25, 3 yrs, $5.5M, UFA)

~for~

2020 18th overall pick

Would this work for NJ?

In before Habs fans say:
"Habs don't need more picks!"
"We're trying to get wingers, not give them away"

Calm down. This would be one move to open cap space to sign Domi and make a couple other moves. Not married to it, just exploring options.
Habs don't need any more picks and also ,
Not interested in giving Drouin away, so an easy pass for the Habs..

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Oh really? Want to post some of those list.

marvelousmotion

Nov 29, 2003
Visit site
Everyone has been really critical on Drouin over the years, including myself; so much potential, but never lived up to expectations. When he's on, he shows how talented and dominant of a player he can be. Flashes of the first line winger everyone was hoping to see. Too bad that it only lasts for a dozen games or so; he did show promise in his first dozen games this year but then got injured and did not look the same after.

Anyways, despite all the frustrations, I personally wouldn't trade him for an 18th overall 1st round pick. As inconsistent and disappointing as he can be, he's an established talented NHL player. Even at his worst and in an inconsistent bad year, he can still easily hit 50 points which is pretty good for your average top 6 winger. There's a huge misconception around how a 2nd line winger should provide around 25 goals and 55 points. Truth is the average contribution of all the teams' 2nd line forwards is way below 50 points.

As for draft picks, they do look sexy and people like them here on this board, myself included (after all, we are on HockeysFuture). However, every year, even in the most promising draft years with high quality prospect pools, you will see a fair amount of 1st rounders flop. Some will never make it to the NHL, others won't even come close to becoming the player they were projecting to be. Obviously, players picked top 5 overall and those in the 6 to 15 range, have a higher probably of making the NHL. Those picked in the 16-31 range will unfortunately have a lower probably of making it. Statistics show that in average, only about 65% of those picked in the 16-31 range make it to the NHL, without taking into account what kind of player they become (the 65% even include those who manage to play 100 NHL games, but never have any impact and continue their careers in oversea leagues).

That said, a 1st round player picked in the 16-31 range turning out to be a Jonathan Drouin would already be considered a successful pick (not great, but not bad either). Sure, you may hit a homerun with a player better than Drouin every now and then, but probability is not that high and there's certainly no guarantee. There are also good chances that the 18th overall pick never amounts to anything.

Now back to the Canadiens, a team desperately in need of goal scoring and more offensively talented forwards, Drouin is still a valuable asset. He's been a huge disappointment because of how highly touted he was when he was drafted; people were expecting him to become an impact player like Nathan MacKinnon did. He's also hated by a lot of fans because of his pouting history with the Lightnings and what the Habs gave up to acquire him (the almighty 9th overall 1st round pick Mikhail Sergachev). If we remove our biased high expectations and hating lenses, he's actually already a decent skilled top 6 winger. He's not a driving force but a good complimentary winger, capable of producing on a top line with talented players. Drouin will not look good playing with players favoring a dump and chase grinding game (unfortunately the style of most other forwards in Montreal). He'll produce playing with players favoring a strong puck possession game (that's why it looked like he was finally clicking with someone during the playoffs; Suzuki is probably the most talented puck possession player he has played with since joining Montreal). Drouin excels at give and gos, using his speed, maneuvering with the puck, passing it back and forth etc. I'm now curious to see how Drouin does playing a full year with a player like Suzuki (their game seem to compliment each other well).

I don't think at this point, anyone expects Drouin to become a dominant force. There's still hope however for him to become a more consistent offensive top line forward. Let's not forget that Drouin is just 25 years old and entering his prime years; his best days might still be ahead of him. Worst case, he stays the inconsistent 2nd line winger he already is and the sad reality is that he would still be one of Montreal's most gifted player offensively.

KovalSNIPE

Feb 9, 2011
Drouin is simply not the type of player we need. We need a big, skilled body in our top 6 which makes the Foote acquisition so perfect.

We have Nico, Hughes, Bratt, Boqvist, Kuokkanen... Drouin is redundant for us.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad