Proposal: Drouin to NJ

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Drouin is simply not the type of player we need. We need a big, skilled body in our top 6 which makes the Foote acquisition so perfect.

We have Nico, Hughes, Bratt, Boqvist, Kuokkanen... Drouin is redundant for us.
Boqvist and Kuokkanen have proven zero. Drouin isn’t a perfect fit, I’d rather get a shooter, but having guys like that isn’t a reason to not acquire him:

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I feel like I've been saying this a lot lately: probably fair in terms of value, but why is a rebuilding team giving up a 1st for a guy who is in his prime right now and will be UFA when the Devils are ready to compete?

No disrespect to Douin, who I like, but unless we're trading for a defenseman I would rather just draft a prospect at #18.
Rebuilding teams typically trade for 1st round picks or players under 25. Generally I would agree with you, but NJD are a few years out from grabbing 2 #1 overall picks. They also have several 1st round picks. Maybe Drouin isn't the right choice, but if NJD can accelerate their rebuild by adding actual roster talent, they can afford to give up some picks. I don't think management is looking 4 years down the road to start competition, which is probably what that 18th pick gets you.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
I want to see more of what Drouin and Suzuki can produce together. They were on fire against the Flyers in the playins. The only line that could produce consistent offense.

the paisanos guy

the hell do i know about cooking a shirt?
Dec 6, 2010
:laugh:

He doesn't move any needle in any direction. And if he did, even slightly, there is no way MTL (and especially the fans) would consider moving a good Quebecker like Monsieur Drouin.

A guy who outscored everyone on the Devil's roster the last full season he played 'doesn't move the needle'?

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
Absolutely not down for this as a Habs fan.

1. Drouin is my main man
2. Habs suck at drafting in that position area

I never give much credence to this argument of HF.
1) If we're on here talking about trades we would do, there's no reason we can't also talk about who we would draft with that pick.
2) It's an asset. We can flip the pick to fill another position of need, we can use it to move up in the draft, etc.

KovalSNIPE

Feb 9, 2011
Boqvist and Kuokkanen have proven zero. Drouin isn’t a perfect fit, I’d rather get a shooter, but having guys like that isn’t a reason to not acquire him:

I'm not saying they have proven anything. I'm simply commenting on the style of players we have in our organization and Drouin won't bring that missing element.

Reactions: PizzaAndPucks

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Drouin is by far Montreal's most talented forward on a team lacking offense on the wings, and he's signed to a decent contract.

I don't think he goes for a mid-first round pick. The only way he'd be traded would be for an upgrade, and I don't see that kind of sure-fire top line winger available (Laine will stay in Winnipeg IMO).

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Blows my mind that people think this is not great value for Drouin. I'd maybe give a cap dump and a 2nd for him. He's not an effective NHLer. Super skilled, he could have been a great player in past iterations, but with the tightness, physicality, and speed of the modern NHL, he is often one of the least efficient guys out there. His elite stretches are always sandwiched between long stretches in which he ranges from invisible to the worst guy on the ice some nights. He just makes too many bad decisions and plays too scared, in too limited a scope, to be a consistent presence.

He's a one-dimensional, 2ndary offensive option. But he is less consistent than most other guys of that ilk, and his weaker dimensions are amongst the weakest amongst guys of that ilk.

Reactions: SpeakingOfTheDevils

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
I just feel like we'll regret trading Domi and keeping Drouin, because Domi is a better player. So that's why I'm exploring ways to trade Drouin instead and still put together the team we want for next year.

Nico Hischier

Nov 22, 2017
Absolutely no interest in acquiring drouin anymore. Back when he was with Tampa I really wanted to get him. He would probably be a bad influence for our young players. He lacks the work ethic needed to win.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
Just batting around some ideas:

LW Drouin (25, 3 yrs, $5.5M, UFA)

~for~

2020 18th overall pick

Would this work for NJ?

In before Habs fans say:
"Habs don't need more picks!"
"We're trying to get wingers, not give them away"

Calm down. This would be one move to open cap space to sign Domi and make a couple other moves. Not married to it, just exploring options.
For 18th OA? You gotta be kidding. Habs don’t touch that. He had excellent chemistry with Suzuki. Not dealing drouin for a magic bean that may become a 50 pt forward which Drouin, for all his flaws, already is

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
Perhaps something around:

Drouin + 57th overall ~for~ Palmieri ($1M retained) + 20th overall

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
I'm opened to movning Drouin to be honest, but not for a draft pick and especially not for the 18th overall.
I'd pass, to move Drouin Bergevin will have to make more of a hockey trade, 1 for 1 type deal where both players are young, talented and just need a change of scenery.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
Not trading a 1st unless an LD comes back

Perhaps something around:

Drouin + 57th overall ~for~ Palmieri ($1M retained) + 20th overall

I don't know what Palmieri contract talks are like but I'd rather "overpay" Palmieri or trade him at the deadline than do this. Losing two major trade chips in the 20th overall AND Palmieri to get Drouin would be a step backward imo.

ADD-devil950003

Dec 6, 2006
NY
When building a team you need to have guys who play different roles and bring different dimensions to the table. Drouin while being a very talented young player, doesn’t add much that Jersey doesn’t already have in house. This team needs a couple young stud two-way/stay at home dmen, and a couple big/gritty/physical/goal scoring wingers. We need to add to the young, small, skilled playmakers we already have on the roster. Maybe some guys who will be able to create space and protect the two recent 1st overall picks. To continue to add guys who bring the same positives and negatives is an atrocious way to build the line up (ie. the horrible d core we have in place right now of guys who can put up a couple points but no one who we’d really trust defending a lead at the end of the game). Like someone else said earlier, the Foote trade was a gem because it really addressed what NJ is lacking and on a lesser level that’s why most devils fans were excited for Bahl to be included in the Hall trade. The team cannot waste assets on guys who don’t fill needs imo. I’m really sick of the idea that we need to just go after whoever is out there and not actually address the needs of the team. I’d rather make no moves and let the young kids try to fill spots than make bad moves for redundant players.

Reactions: deflowd

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
i’d rather see drouin with a more developed kk/suzuki next year before moving him

Well guess what. Drouin has flamed out in Montreal at every opp. He is making a way inflated salary related to production.

If you still want to hang on to him to try him with a couple of new centres and he fails you have a negative value player.
Montreal would be very far ahead trading Drouin for anyones 1st and take that draft capital and cap space and go crazy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->