Proposal: Drouin to Edm at the draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Lets say the Oilers draft 4-5th overall... The habs dont have a legit top center to maximize Drouin's potential while Edm has 2, I think it could be a win win trade for both teams, Habs could take a cap dump not named Lucic and add a kid or 2 like Fonstad + Lindgren\McNivens...
I'm not the biggest fan of Drouin - that said, if it means that we move out Lucic, then I would likely accept this deal.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
You want the 4th or 5th pick for Drouin and won't take back Lucic.

Easy no.
Even assuming Drouin is worth less than that pick... Lucic has significant negative value. Big time. You'd need to package Lucic with a mid-late 1st to dump him for nothing. That doesn't bridge whatever gap you might see.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
I find it hilarious how condescending are Oilers fans regarding the Habs and Drouin.

Edmonton have the crown jewel of the NHL who is signed for another 7 years. If the Oilers are serious about winning they need to provide weapons to the best asset or he is going to walk.

Oilers have had many amazing draft picks and failed to establish the sufficient core to compete with them.

I get how the best way to build a team is through the draft but for a team that has had so many repetitive failures to the draft I kind of find it hilarious how another top 5 picks is such a prized asset. Could it turn out like another Draisaitl? maybe.. but there is a significant chance it turn out like another Puljujarvi given the Oilers drafting history.

Drouin hate is also quite interesting. He is having a great year and he is showing his elite potential again BUT he is still very frustrating due to his consistency. He is dr.jekyll and mr.hyde and Habs fans are not known to be patient with their players. I don't think Drouin will be traded but if they did trade him to the Oilers getting a player of his caliber to play with McDavid could turn that franchise around.

Reactions: Aldo Montoya

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Sam Gagner in the lockout year was on a 65 point pace as well(same age as Drouin) Big ****ing deal.
Oh, and you math is wrong
Sam Gagner never reached above 50pts nevermind 65 pts.

Drouin already reached above 50 pts and he is on pace to easily break that mark this year too.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
If the NHL didn't have guaranteed contracts Milan Lucic wouldn't be in the league . Montreal have no need for Lucic or reason to help Edmonton get out from under his brutal contract .

If the NHL didn't have guaranteed contracts, the Oilers could retain some salary and trade Lucic. He is overpaid, but that isn't the biggest concern - the biggest concern is that he is already overpaid and is under contract for so long.

Reactions: TFHockey

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
I find it hilarious how condescending are Oilers fans regarding the Habs and Drouin.

Edmonton have the crown jewel of the NHL who is signed for another 7 years. If the Oilers are serious about winning they need to provide weapons to the best asset or he is going to walk.

Oilers have had many amazing draft picks and failed to establish the sufficient core to compete with them.

I get how the best way to build a team is through the draft but for a team that has had so many repetitive failures to the draft I kind of find it hilarious how another top 5 picks is such a prized asset. Could it turn out like another Draisaitl? maybe.. but there is a significant chance it turn out like another Puljujarvi given the Oilers drafting history.

Drouin hate is also quite interesting. He is having a great year and he is showing his elite potential again BUT he is still very frustrating due to his consistency. He is dr.jekyll and mr.hyde and Habs fans are not known to be patient with their players. I don't think Drouin will be traded but if they did trade him to the Oilers getting a player of his caliber to play with McDavid could turn that franchise around.

I don't think you really have any idea what you're talking about. You don't know McDavid, and you obviously don't know the mind of an athlete. Can you think of a star who quit on their team and demanded a trade? I would say Nash and Tavares are they only two in recent memory who've left their drafting team and one could argue those players gave their organizations every chance to resign them.
Secondly, Puljujarvi was the consensus 4 OA pick by everyone. Edmonton didn't make a mistake drafting him. However they did do a poor job of development. If you want to criticize the Oilers for poor development, okay.

Drouin isn't worth a 4-5 OA. That isn't a knock on the Habs or their fans. I don't see any team giving Montreal a top 5 pick for Drouin.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
I don't think you really have any idea what you're talking about. You don't know McDavid, and you obviously don't know the mind of an athlete. Can you think of a star who quit on their team and demanded a trade? I would say Nash and Tavares are they only two in recent memory who've left their drafting team and one could argue those players gave their organizations every chance to resign them.
Secondly, Puljujarvi was the consensus 4 OA pick by everyone. Edmonton didn't make a mistake drafting him. However they did do a poor job of development. If you want to criticize the Oilers for poor development, okay.

Drouin isn't worth a 4-5 OA. That isn't a knock on the Habs or their fans.
Regarding McDavid. I speculated he might walk.. but if the Oilers are still a train wreck when he is near free agency and with the nature of competitiveness of NHL athlete it's a fair assumption he would want to finish his career with a stanley cup. Especially when you are labelled a generational talent.

Regarding Puljujarvi he was maybe the consensus pick regarding draft publication but he was definately not top 4 on all team list. The blue jacket with a finnish GM passed over him. Many speculated it was only because they wanted a center but there must have been red flags with them passing over Puljujarvi. I do think that if the Oilers drafted Tkachuk instead he would have turned better than Puljujarvi regardless of player development. Don't get me wrong Oilers player development is at the rock bottom of the league but the fact remain that outside the 1st round they have little to show for in the past 10 years draft.

As for Drouin he might not be worth top 5, hard to gauge but for any team that are serious about winning now it is a better scenario than a junior aged kid that is a couple year away.

Last edited:

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
montreal wouldn’t trade Drouin for the 4th or 5th overall pick alone? :huh:

I mean Drouin is decent, but he has some huge holes in his game. Plus Montreal already has a lot of skilled wingers.

I would easily take the pick if I were them.
Depends who's there at their pick... IMO none of Dach, Cozens, Boldy, Byram project like superstars. Good player yes, but Drouin is already that... why take the risk? Maybe for Byram for positional need...

edit : With a cap dump such as Lucic, there's absolutely no way the habs touch this deal. Drouin has been very good this year, despite some fans criticizing his play.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Sure he does. He has that value and much more. That's an abysmal trade proposal.

You honestly think Drouin+ is worth less than the 4th/5th pick + cap dump?

I was referring to your statement that they wouldn't do it for the pick alone. If Montreal doesn't trade Drouin for a 4th overall pick, then they would regret it down the road. He absolutely doesn't have the value of a high first round pick. He is too one dimensional for that. He has value, he's a good offensive player. But nobody would give up a top 5 pick for him, and Montreal would be foolish not to trade him if they got someone to. Sorry you guys overpaid for him, but he just doesn't have top 5 value anymore.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

The ‘XXX can play with McDavid’ stuff needs to be taken out back and shot in the head. We don’t need to acquire players that will only be effective if they’re strapped to McDavid. We need to improve the overall skill of the team so if Drai or RNH are playing 2C they actually have someone with talent to play with.

Also Edmonton has absolutely no need for B prospects and AHL goalies. We’re going to have a logjam right away and our AHL team is lights out.

Reactions: ujju2

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
The ‘XXX can play with McDavid’ stuff needs to be taken out back and shot in the head. We don’t need to acquire players that will only be effective if they’re strapped to McDavid. We need to improve the overall skill of the team so if Drai or RNH are playing 2C they actually have someone with talent to play with.
Fair enough and Drouin is also more talented than any other player not named Draisaitl or McDavid.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
I would like to have Drouin on the Oilers. Nothing wrong with adding a scoring winger on a team that needs them. However I wouldn't give up a top 5 pick to do it.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Fair enough and Drouin is also more talented than any other player not named Draisaitl or McDavid.

I would argue RNH is the better and more important player overall.

We all have watched Drouin, and we know how talented he is. Frankly the only reason you want to move him is he’s super flaky defensively and wildly inconsistent from an effort standpoint. I don’t believe he’s worth a top 5 pick and I assign very little value - virtually none - to the likes of McNiven and Fonstad. We have prospects of their ilk.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
I was referring to your statement that they wouldn't do it for the pick alone. If Montreal doesn't trade Drouin for a 4th overall pick, then they would regret it down the road. He absolutely doesn't have the value of a high first round pick. He is too one dimensional for that. He has value, he's a good offensive player. But nobody would give up a top 5 pick for him, and Montreal would be foolish not to trade him if they got someone to. Sorry you guys overpaid for him, but he just doesn't have top 5 value anymore.
We overpaid?

I’d rather have the offensive foward with defensive inability than the offensive dman who can’t play defense. Go back to my history, i never liked sergachev.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
We overpaid?

I’d rather have the offensive foward with defensive inability than the offensive dman who can’t play defense. Go back to my history, i never liked sergachev.

Congratulations?

And yes, you overpaid. Sergachev has more value today. Even if you don't like him, his value is higher today than it was at the time of the trade. Drouin's is less. It was a mistake of a trade.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Sam Gagner never reached above 50pts nevermind 65 pts.

Drouin already reached above 50 pts and he is on pace to easily break that mark this year too.
I love the on pace game
Gagner was on pace for 50+ points in 06-07, 10-11, 11-12, and 65 pts in 12-13. This is all by the same age as Drouin is now

I thought Gagner was a good player in the right situation back then and its very similar to Drouin now.

The Oilers have too many players that are only good in right situations(some not at all) to be trading a lottery pick for Drouin.
On the flipside I don't see why the Habs would trade Drouin for a pick that may take a few years(if ever) to reach his potential

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
Lets say the Oilers draft 4-5th overall... The habs dont have a legit top center to maximize Drouin's potential while Edm has 2, I think it could be a win win trade for both teams, Habs could take a cap dump not named Lucic and add a kid or 2 like Fonstad + Lindgren\McNivens...

I'm sorry, I read this 3 times and don't understand your proposal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad