Proposal: Drouin to Edm at the draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
As soon as I saw thread I knew it would be started by a Montreal fan asking for our 1st round pick.

Easy pass.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Oilers desperately need a skilled winger to play with McDavid, they could draft one with that pick but outside Kakko, who will be gone at 2, Oilers could have to wait another 2 years before that kid is ready to play with the big team, Is McDavid willing to waste another 2-3 yrs of his carreer or it would be smarter for the Oilers to add one who is close to reach his prime? I think its a win win trade for both teams...

The Oilers desperate needs do not include players to play with McDavid. We need a shooter to play 2nd line with Nugent-Hopkins, and some guys to play on the third line who can chip in the offense. Our issue isn't guys to play with McDavid, its guys to score on every line other than McDavid's. It's a lose for Edmonton, if we are trading the pick, we would be better off going for a guy who can score more consistently, or a couple of cheaper depth guys who don't completely suck.

UVMCats

Feb 16, 2019
As soon as I saw thread I knew it would be started by a Montreal fan asking for our 1st round pick.

Easy pass.

There is no way in hell that Montreal trades Drouin for a 1st round pick. What the heck am i reading here ? As if in a real word Edmonton would refuse this.

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
from what I remember, they were high on him but they saw the lack of motivation and effort so they went with Dubois..

that's not what I remember at all. CBJ wanted a Center and Puljujarvi is a winger.

In fact, far too often the Oilers are drafting for best player available rather than team need. This is another strategy that needs to change

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
Edmonton get: Drouin, Fonstad, Lindgren\McNivens
Montreal get: 1st overall + a cap dump like Benning

oh, okay. I see.
As Oilers pick looks like a top 5 I think it's going to take a more significant cap dump than 1.9M

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
There is no way in hell that Montreal trades Drouin for a 1st round pick. What the heck am i reading here ? As if in a real word Edmonton would refuse this.
The Oilers have the 3rd highest chance of 1st overall right now. Drouin is not worth a top 5 pick, this is pretty obvious to any other fan base. If we wanted to move the pick we could do better than that.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
The Oilers have the 3rd highest chance of 1st overall right now. Drouin is not worth a top 5 pick, this is pretty obvious to any other fan base. If we wanted to move the pick we could do better than that.

Drouin might be worth a mid first round pick if he didn't earn 5.5m. He's last 1st round or early 2nd round value

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
I'd do Nurse and Benning for Drouin

I’d rather have Nurse. Who I believe we have a 40+ point defence man with physical gifts he’s only scratching the surface of his skill set. Gone are the days of all tools no toolbox. As he builds consistency he could become our most valuable defender. Not moving that for a small one-way winger

Reactions: Homesick

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
So trading a 1st line forward with potential for a pick who hopes to end up like Drouin is now? Yeah... Don't see the incentive outside of age. Let's not act like top 5 picks are locks to be superstars. Drouin is a perfect example. He's signed to a good deal. Why move him for a hope and a prayer, especially when they need all the help they can get right now? So yeah... Straight up is bad. Adding makes it worse. Taking a cap dump make it laughably bad.
The goal would be to draft someone better than Drouin or someone that fills a bigger need.

I’m not that big of a fan of him, maybe that’s why.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
The goal would be to draft someone better than Drouin or someone that fills a bigger need.

I’m not that big of a fan of him, maybe that’s why.
Well sure, that would obviously be the goal. I think people often mistakenly assume top 5 picks are locks to be superstars, and ignore the numerous cases where that doesn't happen. I can understand the "needs" argument, but if you're drafting for a need, you're setting yourself back now without any guarantee that the player you draft will end up any better. Maybe you get a Kotkaniemi (jury still out, but he looks good), maybe you get a Zacha.

Reactions: Aldo Montoya

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
Our team is so short of cap space that we had to go through contortions just to get freakin Sekera back on the roster. The mess Special Pete left us in is gonna take at least a few years to sort out. We are paper thin everywhere and trading for an expensive winger now will certainly just rip open another hole and/or will be unaffordable from a cap hit point of view. The Oilers have no choice but to shed dead weight, and bring on talented ELC players that you can only get one way: by keeping their 1st rd draft pick.

Make this guy GM. Stop with the quick fixes and bandaid solutions and do this right

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
If Chia was the GM and scouted last nights game I'd fully expect him to trade for Drouin. What an utterly useless soft player....fits right in with the rest of the Oilers wingers

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
The fact that we are even talking about oilers potentially getting 1st overall, hell even a f***ing top 5 pick is beyond me! They absolutely need to make a rule where a team has limited top 10 picks in a certain timeframe. This is getting a joke. I realy hope Mcdavid ask for a trade because that franchise is pathetic and some kids deserves better than that. You just can’t have all these chances in the world back to back + the best player in the world and still fail like this. I used to cheer for them but at this point, even if they win something they will have no merit, this franchise has hit a point of no return to me. It realy sucks for their fan and i’m not trying to attack anyone but it’s truly my opinion.

Reactions: FameFlame069

xNogaitx

Akuna Matata.
Sep 9, 2017
Edmonton
Montreal should definitely consider moving Drouin and using that dead cap space if it guarantees them a guy like Cozens being drafted.

Danault 6'1
Kotkaniemi 6'2
Cozens 6'3
Poehling 6'2

That would be lethal.

I would rework the trade though:

Edmonton:
Drouin, Jonathan
Fonstad, Cole (5th rd 2018 pick, was supposed to go early 3rd, has improved his draft position significantly since.)
Lindgren, Charlie
2019 1st rd pick (17-23 range)
2019 Oilers 5th rd pick

Montreal:
Russell, Kris 4M AAV
Manning, Brandon 2.25M AAV
Benning, Matthew 1.9M AAV
2019 Oilers 1st rd pick (3-4th OA)
2019 Oilers 2nd rd pick (32-35th OA)

Oilers effectively move out 2.65M AAV in salaries. They still have a pick in the 1st round, just that they drop a 15ish spots to Yamamoto territory.

General Disarray

Jul 21, 2016
Toronto
Why are Oilers in a rush to trade for wingers to play with McDavid. McDavid should be playing with cheap wingers like Chiasson or that Lekhonen guy from Habs. He should be able to carry them as long as they have minimal skill. This is why they have to no depth. They have their 2 best players on one line.

cheap winger - McD - cheap winger
scrap - RNH - Drai
3 3rd liners
3 4th liners

Done.

At some point if they draft well, the can become a legit contender:

cheap winger - McD - cheap winger
ELC draft pick - Drai - anyone
ELC - draft pick - RNH - anyone
3 4th liners

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
Montreal should definitely consider moving Drouin and using that dead cap space if it guarantees them a guy like Cozens being drafted.

Danault 6'1
Kotkaniemi 6'2
Cozens 6'3
Poehling 6'2

That would be lethal.

I would rework the trade though:

Edmonton:
Drouin, Jonathan
Fonstad, Cole (5th rd 2018 pick, was supposed to go early 3rd, has improved his draft position significantly since.)
Lindgren, Charlie
2019 1st rd pick (17-23 range)
2019 Oilers 5th rd pick

Montreal:
Russell, Kris 4M AAV
Manning, Brandon 2.25M AAV
Benning, Matthew 1.9M AAV
2019 Oilers 1st rd pick (3-4th OA)
2019 Oilers 2nd rd pick (32-35th OA)

Oilers effectively move out 2.65M AAV in salaries. They still have a pick in the 1st round, just that they drop a 15ish spots to Yamamoto territory.

So to move up maybe 10 -12 spots in draft at best and upgrade current oilers 5th round that they have to a 2nd round pick, Habs give up a cost controlled 60 pt offensive winger, 2 prospects, and take on 3 overpaid 3rd pair d-men that Oilers canèt give away.

I think MB passes on this easily

xNogaitx

Akuna Matata.
Sep 9, 2017
Edmonton
So to move up maybe 10 -12 spots in draft at best and upgrade current oilers 5th round that they have to a 2nd round pick, Habs give up a cost controlled 60 pt offensive winger, 2 prospects, and take on 3 overpaid 3rd pair d-men that Oilers canèt give away.

I think MB passes on this easily

There is a clutter of wingers right now in Montreal. Also have to remember that once Poehling comes in and a guy like Cozens, you have Domi moving back to LW.

You also have to account for Suzuki coming in on the right side, and several other prospects drafted in the past 2 years that will be pushing for a top 9 W spot (Ylonen, Ikonen, McShane, Teasdale, etc.)

Domi - Danault - Gallagher
Tatar - Kotkaniemi - Suzuki
Lehkonen - Cozens - Armia
Byron - Poehling - Shaw
Deslauriers/Peca/Hudon/Weise

As such, Drouin is definitely expandable since Suzuki will play a similar game to his.

4th OA (Cozens) + 33OA (Another guy in the mold of Romanov and Ylonen) for Drouin, a middle 1st, cap space for 2 years (that wouldn't be used anyway), and Lindgren + Fonstad?

That not only helps Edmonton replenish their prospect pool without sacrificing next year entirely as they still get to pick in the 1st round, it also reduces their cap hell with little to no effect on Montreal's cap situation.

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
There is a clutter of wingers right now in Montreal. Also have to remember that once Poehling comes in and a guy like Cozens, you have Domi moving back to LW.

You also have to account for Suzuki coming in on the right side, and several other prospects drafted in the past 2 years that will be pushing for a top 9 W spot (Ylonen, Ikonen, McShane, Teasdale, etc.)

Byron - Poehling - Shaw

As such, Drouin is definitely expandable since Suzuki will play a similar game to his.

4th OA (Cozens) + 33OA (Another guy in the mold of Romanov and Ylonen) for Drouin, a middle 1st, cap space for 2 years (that wouldn't be used anyway), and Lindgren + Fonstad?

That not only helps Edmonton replenish their prospect pool without sacrificing next year entirely as they still get to pick in the 1st round, it also reduces their cap hell with little to no effect on Montreal's cap situation.

It certainly helps Edmonton. The point is that I think Montreal could do more with the assets they are giving up. Cozens is probably not ready to step in. If everything works out they have too many wingers yes, but they have a massive hole on LD. If MB is going to spend those kind off assets he spends it on LD not on a prospect centre when it seems the centre problems of the last 25 years have been resolved.

Domi - Kotkaniemi - Gallagher
Drouin - Danault - Suzuki
Tatar - Poehling - Byron
Lehkonen - Shaw - Armia

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

Byron - Poehling - Shaw

We don't need a Drouin. Top end talent isn't really the issue. The issue is guys for our 2nd and 3rd lines. The 2nd line needs a shooter to play with Nuge, the 3rd line needs exactly 3 new players who will produce as a 3rd line should. While Drouin or Gallagher would be great additions to any team, we're more in the need of those middle sixers like Lehkonen, Armia, Hudon, etc.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016

Byron - Poehling - Shaw

There is no way Edm get Drouin just to move up 10-12 spots in a deep draft like this one when one of Leason Pelletier Lavoie Robertson will likely drop at our spot...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad