Drooling over the “DDD line†popping out in 2015-16!

• Thread starter The Ugly Truth*
  • Start date

The Ugly Truth*

Doan is garbage. He deserves 3rd line minutes tops. Even then, he'll only show up four months into the season. So tired of him.

I can't believe you actually posted that. I've followed Doan since he was in the 'Peg as a raw rookie (had hoped they would have drafted Iggy instead, but that's another story) and he's STILL the heart and soul of this team. On a better team he's a legit 3rd liner, especially if he's not being forced to play a ridiculous number of minutes every night. On THIS team, right now he's top six.

Who exactly do you think are the top six forwards on the Coyotes right now (as in actually in the NHL)?

KG

Sep 23, 2010
I can't believe you actually posted that. I've followed Doan since he was in the 'Peg as a raw rookie (had hoped they would have drafted Iggy instead, but that's another story) and he's STILL the heart and soul of this team. On a better team he's a legit 3rd liner, especially if he's not being forced to play a ridiculous number of minutes every night. On THIS team, right now he's top six.

Who exactly do you think are the top six forwards on the Coyotes right now (as in actually in the NHL)?

Doan should not be a sacred cow. His play has steadily declined, especially in the physicality department. His physicality drove the team, but has been in steep decline since 2012. Also, its clear this team had a problem in the room. I think it's more Tippet than Doan, but Doan hasn't actually stepped up in some time. XX is right; on a ideal team, Doan plays 3rd line and maybe 2nd PP. One thing he does still have is a wicked wrister, though it misses the net as much as Morris' wicked slapshot did.

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
Doan's definitely declined.

If we get McD, I'd much rather have younger, more effective players on his line, like Boedker or Rieder.

I agree with AndrewYotes, Doan should ideally get 3rd. line minutes and 2nd. PP time next year (if he stays), but it won't happen, because we don't have enough depth. He needs to start taking a more reduced on-ice role at some point, especially now that he's starting to noticeably decline.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
You could stick Doan on the line solely so he protects the young kids. I'd rather have Hanzal do that, though. That nasty mother****er would burn anyone who touched our franchise cornerstones.

If only Hanzal played mad 100% of the time.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I can't believe you actually posted that.

Had you actually watched the last two months or so of Coyote hockey, you wouldn't be surprised at all. Doan has frequently been leading the tank charge with his terrible, undisciplined play. He went from collateral damage to offender real quick. He is not above blame.

Even at his best, he is a third liner. The speed is not there. And if you see him in interviews lately, it looks like he is already trying to drop weight to keep pace.

If Doan is the "heart and soul" of the team, then that would go a long way in explaining why the team has been dead on the vine for going on two years.

You could stick Doan on the line solely so he protects the young kids.

He doesn't protect **** anymore. OEL got boarded hard. Both he and Chipchura completely ignored it. Doan is done as any sort of passion player.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Doan is garbage. He deserves 3rd line minutes tops. Even then, he'll only show up four months into the season. So tired of him.
Doan is not garbage, I'd say that's a dumb statement but I know you're just doing your intentional inflammatory thing. I acknowledge he's declining and at this point is probably better served splitting time between 2nd and 3rd lines but he can still contribute just fine in that role.

The Ugly Truth*

Doan should not be a sacred cow. His play has steadily declined, especially in the physicality department. His physicality drove the team, but has been in steep decline since 2012. Also, its clear this team had a problem in the room. I think it's more Tippet than Doan, but Doan hasn't actually stepped up in some time. XX is right; on a ideal team, Doan plays 3rd line and maybe 2nd PP. One thing he does still have is a wicked wrister, though it misses the net as much as Morris' wicked slapshot did.

He's 38. Even Iggy is not as physical as he was five years ago. But again, I ask: even if Doan would ideally be a third liner at this stage, who do you see currently on the team that should be playing top six minutes ahead of him?

The Ugly Truth*

Had you actually watched the last two months or so of Coyote hockey, you wouldn't be surprised at all. Doan has frequently been leading the tank charge with his terrible, undisciplined play. He went from collateral damage to offender real quick. He is not above blame.

Even at his best, he is a third liner. The speed is not there. And if you see him in interviews lately, it looks like he is already trying to drop weight to keep pace.

If Doan is the "heart and soul" of the team, then that would go a long way in explaining why the team has been dead on the vine for going on two years.

He doesn't protect **** anymore. OEL got boarded hard. Both he and Chipchura completely ignored it. Doan is done as any sort of passion player.

I have seen a few games over the past couple of weeks and to be honest, given how obvious the team's tank job has been I suspect he may have been playing poorly on purpose in an effort to guarantee getting McEichel. (Exhibit #2: David Moss. :sarcasm:) The team dumped half its players and spiraled to the (near)bottom of the standings. I think he knows the importance of securing a franchise center and was willing to do whatever it took to try to make that a reality. Given all of the front office's efforts to cripple the Coyotes, I can't understand how they could've beaten the Sabres in overtime or the Sharks this weekend, given how important it was to finish in last place this year. Why tank so aggressively if you're not going to do the job completely? Bizarre. Unless there's a (cue conspiracy theory) guarantee from Bettman that they'll get McDavid.

The Coyotes are a soft team and need to get a John Scott type to have around so other teams don't take liberties with the skill players. Expecting the 38 year old captain to ride shotgun year after year is a tad ridiculous. Still, that's a problem that should be easily fixable through trades and free agents this summer, especially given all the cap space that the team has now. Draft skill, add game-proven grit via free agency and trades...

The Grocery Stick

AZDomiNation
Oct 30, 2014
ID
Doan, Domi, Duclair. The 2015 World Juniors gave us a tease of what's to come, flashing viewers glimpses of jiggly playmaking, firm skill and luscious speed. The titillation will continue in 2015-16 with the arrival of Domi and Duclair. Can't wait to see them!

"3D line"?

I'd rather the Doan "D" be a mcDavid "D" and we can conveniently ignore the "Mc".

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

Of course his play is in decline, what do you expect, his physicality may have declined too, but he is still one of the most physical forwards we have, so what does that tell you. As far as a problem in the room, that is only an assumption on your part, and I for one, do not think there is. Doan can not put a team on his shoulders like he did a few years back, but to say he hasn't stepped it up in some time is so false.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Doan is not garbage, I'd say that's a dumb statement but I know you're just doing your intentional inflammatory thing. I acknowledge he's declining and at this point is probably better served splitting time between 2nd and 3rd lines but he can still contribute just fine in that role.

Good post!

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
He's 38. Even Iggy is not as physical as he was five years ago. But again, I ask: even if Doan would ideally be a third liner at this stage, who do you see currently on the team that should be playing top six minutes ahead of him?

Your shouldn't have asked that question. Can't wait to read the answers to that question.:laugh:

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
DomDMc line (Domi, Duclair, McDavid) - but that line is 2-3 years away from playing together.

For now, hopefully:

Domi- Hanzal- Duclair
Rieder- McEichel - Gagner
Perlini- Shenn????- Boeds
Lessio- Joey Camacho/Chip- Doan

Not that Doan is a 4th liner, and he's anything but garbage, but this limits minutes for a 38 year old and still gives ample PP time.

zz

Nov 1, 2006
Reminds me of how many of us were 'drooling' at the possibility of Andy Miele playing for the Coyotes. Or Gormley and Summers being the future of this franchise's blue line.

Just making the team will be a good first step. And Doan stopped making me drool quite a few years back. Love the guy, but he's far from exciting at this point.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
His shiftiness and playmaking abilities will translate better as center. I also don't think with his size board play/grinding on the wing will work for him in the NHL.

Don't buy that at all. Plenty of skilled, undersized forwards have seen success at wing: Kane, MSL, Whitney, Hudler, Marchand, Nyquist, Palat, Schwartz, Parise. And Domi weighs more than any of them. His lack of relative size hurts him more at center than at wing.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Reminds me of how many of us were 'drooling' at the possibility of Andy Miele playing for the Coyotes. Or Gormley and Summers being the future of this franchise's blue line.

Just making the team will be a good first step. And Doan stopped making me drool quite a few years back. Love the guy, but he's far from exciting at this point.

I love Captain Coyote, but the last time he was dominate was 5 years ago when we played the Sharks and he single handed tied and won the game for us by crushing every shark that was on the ice, it was a great moment.

His level of play has decreased each year in the last 5, he's just getting old, happens to every player. But he is still serviceable and only under contract at a slightly higher than reasonable rate for next season only. It's not like he's got a Dustin Brown contract.

Doan should stay as long as he wants and then be transitioned into management. He deserves nothing less. I'm hoping that the young bucks infect him with some youthfulness next season. He was actually playing really well leading up to his Rocky Mountain Horror Show period, but he hasn't recovered from that at all it seems.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Still love Captain Coyote, but its obvious his physicality has declined noticeably since the WCF year, emblematic of what's happened with the team since then as well. At least in Doaner's case, it comes with getting older.

His minutes should be limited to 3rd line at 5v5, but he's still a very capable PP option.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
All I know about Doan is that I'll be first in line for tickets (if I don't renew my season tix that year, that is) for the game where his number is retired, cheering until I lose my voice.

As for the intervening period between now and then, we should know after the results of the draft lottery what he'll be up to next season.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
I line how this thread is talking about the future of the team, yet people are talking about present Doan. A lot people overly offended by saying Doan belongs on the 3rdline.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Still love Captain Coyote, but its obvious his physicality has declined noticeably since the WCF year, emblematic of what's happened with the team since then as well. At least in Doaner's case, it comes with getting older.

His minutes should be limited to 3rd line at 5v5, but he's still a very capable PP option.

Totally agree. Doan is a solid third line player and still capable on the PP. Our problem is having enough second and first line players so that Doan is not slotted in the top 2 lines next year.

Who is a legitimate top 6 forward for us next year. Bods/Hanzal/Domi/1st pick/Reider maybe?

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

Yeah, I agree, if some of these hot shot prospects could or would show up so he could slid to the third line.

Totally agree. Doan is a solid third line player and still capable on the PP. Our problem is having enough second and first line players so that Doan is not slotted in the top 2 lines next year.

Who is a legitimate top 6 forward for us next year. Bods/Hanzal/Domi/1st pick/Reider maybe?

Yup, talent and depth is the problem, but I see light at the end of the tunnel. Unfortunately, not next year.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ

Boeds and Domi. Maybe Reider. Hopefully our 1st (McEichel). Duclair will be a wildcard. Hanzal really should stick at 3C, but we'd really need to luck out and get a 2C this offseason to keep him there. He and Doan would be 2/3 of a solid checking line.

Gagner - also iffy where he fits in. I'd like to somehow package him + Moore for a 2C.

The Ugly Truth*

Your shouldn't have asked that question. Can't wait to read the answers to that question.:laugh:

Funny how no one seems to be able to do something as simple as list 6 forwards on the team that should be starting over Doan... :shakehead

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Funny how no one seems to be able to do something as simple as list 6 forwards on the team that should be starting over Doan... :shakehead

Since Doaner does not play center, it really should be "list 4 wingers who could/should be in our Top 6 over Doan."

Boedker and Reider are obvious. Domi seems likely. The 4th is a question mark (Duclair, Gagner, perhaps a UFA like Frolik).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad