TSN Radio Drive home yesterday w/ Brian Hayes + O-Dog

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Kadri won't get 55 plus pts.

He is over rated and always has been. He wouldn't be a number 2 C on half the teams in the NHL. He couldn't play with Kessel. He won't hit the mark and the Leafs won't pay him the stupid money he wants. Here goes the Bozak is a number one C crapolium again. Built up trade fodder, he isn't that good and Leaf brass know it, but why not shine that cannonball a little. Good trade bait, in a package maybe plus a Gardiner. These guys are about to get the true test of fire and some won't make it. Because they just aren't that good.

70 pts?! Make sure you take him in your pool...sucker.

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
Kadri's a great complementary piece. You can win with him on the second line. Slotted there, he'd be a top-5 2nd line centre. Only the few teams with two #1 C's like Pittsburgh would be in a better spot there.

If he could get a little better at FOs, and pick up on the defensive/possession game Babcock teaches, he might even have some 1st line C in him.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Big IF.

Kadri's a great complementary piece. You can win with him on the second line. Slotted there, he'd be a top-5 2nd line centre. Only the few teams with two #1 C's like Pittsburgh would be in a better spot there.

If he could get a little better at FOs, and pick up on the defensive/possession game Babcock teaches, he might even have some 1st line C in him.

He will just get first line minutes and not get it done in the end.Some first line C? This guy is 25, when we pay him he will be in decline. This is a bit tired now, if he was that great we would know by now. Pump him up fine but keep it real. No one calls O' Reilly a number one C but who would every GM rather have? He isn't a top 10 number 2C, this is all fluff.

"Bozak is a number one C!"

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

That's the hope, but remains to be seen.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015

100% agree with this.

Kadri to me is not good enough for a team to build around him but is a solid 2nd liner.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
100% agree with this.

Kadri to me is not good enough for a team to build around him but is a solid 2nd liner.

Could you see Kadri on the 2nd line of the past 9 years of Blackhawks, Kings, Bruins, Penguins, or Red Wings, or Ducks?

Because I can't, at all...

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
I am not sure I understand the OP.

Are you upset that the media singles out players and challenges their performance or are you upset that they are singling out Kadri and challenging his performance?

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I was listening to this segment on my drive home.

Hayes started the segment by saying with Kessel gone, the focus will now be on Kadri. As Phil was always the convenient player to kick when the team was down.

He posed this question to O dog. basically now with Phil gone. Will Kadri become the new poster boy for Leafs nation to criticize given he will be 25 now, and he is often in the spotlight as he does like to talk to the media and that he is the most likely player to be looked upon to pick up the offensive slack with Phil now gone.

I thought it was an interesting premise.

Stigma

May 24, 2015
Mississauga
Me too, talk radio has been rough without them

Agreed.

I think people are taking these guys way too seriously. You need to take Leafs Lunch with a grain of salt; listen to it mostly for the banter and comedy. O'Neil and Hayes are reactionary and emotional guys - lots of impulsive, not-well-thought-out commentary. That's why I love them! There's a million and one other people I can listen to for more serious hockey commentary.

Mckay

I find your lack of gravy disturbing.
Mar 5, 2014
Canada
If O'Neill is suggesting that Kadri has to replace all the offense and put up the big goals left by Kessel, he's clearly blowing hot air ... There are things beyond this that are important.

Actually, O'Neill specifically said in that clip that Kadri isn't even close to Kessel's offence and that Kessel's contributions would have to be replaced by committee.

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
I have found O'Neill to be strangely critical of Kadri in the past; even making fun of Kadri's hattrick in training camp 3 years ago. Seems like these unrealistic 70+, ppg, kessel numbers expectations (not predictions) are just being used by people so they can gleefully continue to bash kadri in the future. Pretty transparent, oblivious, and immature behaviour.

jayswagger

May 20, 2011
Toronto, ON
He's an RFA at years end. He'll need to raise his game if he wants a contract.

As Dubas said earlier - he can take them to the bank. He has a year to prove it.

The pressure should be on him, and if he's a true gamer, he'll rise to the challenge.

For me, I'm expecting between 50-60 points. He'll be playing against the leagues best players.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
The "O(ffensively-challenged)-dog" and his 42 points should probably take a long look in the mirror.

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
Last time the Leafs were without Kessel
Alex Ponikarovsky managed 61 points
Jason Blake managed 63
Matt Stajan had 55 of his own

and the team had already-established players like Kubina, White, Stempniak, Kaberle, Finger, Johnny Malkin, Antropov, Hagman, Moore, Van Ryn, etc...

I wonder how that group matches up against the group we have here. I would expect Kadri to atleast match what Stajan put up but we have to also take into consideration that the 2008-2009 team was 11th in scoring with 250 GF whereas current predictions have the 2015-2016 squad playing a lower-scoring brand of hockey.

At the end of the day, a lot of what Kadri produces will be based on how healthy Lupul is, as well as how well the powerplay runs. Last season's performance on the PP was horrid.

CNDJam

Aug 28, 2015
Regina
When you are top 10 draft pick expectations are going to be there. Rightly so.
Peter Holland was drafted 8 spots behind Kadri the same draft.
Given time, these 2 could develop into very good NHL centres.
Cut Bozak's icetime and lets see what these 2 guys can do 1 and 2 centres. They are both pretty young.
Who cares about points at this point. That will come.

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC
What are you even laughing at? If Nazem Kadri can't be first line player who scores 60 points, why do people even waste time arguing about how he's better than Bozak? Sorry, but if 50 points is going to be his career high, he can get the **** out.

Well we have Nylander and Marner in the system both of which want and prefer to be a C. One of them will end up being our 1C as both are much better then Kadri.
That being said we need a solid 2 way 2C. Whats to say that a 55 pt Kadri who plays a much improved 2 way game under Babcock isn't valuable?

Lets see what actually playing in a real system and having some of the best coaches around for a year does. I'm betting that he ends up rounding out his defensive game and faceoffs this year and in a year or two we will see a jump in points as he eventually starts to play consistently with better linemates.

Why must he go if he fits in well with what we need going forward? Because some fans believe they know more then Shanny and company? If it was felt for a second that he is a flop and or not worth the effort Shanny wouldn't have made the comments about him that he did.

Shanny has a spot for him in our top 6...He just has to earn it like everyone else.

The media in TO needs to all have a coke, a smile and ****. Seriously
Would it be too much to ask for them to write something we want to read and not just more clickbait? Try writing real articles and discussing relevant topics without trying to assassinate the character and or mental/physical/emotional state of the players they are demanding play better.

No more press in the locker room, supervised corridor interviews and if you eff around you get to sit down and look Lou in the face while he breaks off a Ban stick.

How about some accountability finally for the ****** nozzles of the TO Media?

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Well we have Nylander and Marner in the system both of which want and prefer to be a C. One of them will end up being our 1C as both are much better then Kadri.
That being said we need a solid 2 way 2C. Whats to say that a 55 pt Kadri who plays a much improved 2 way game under Babcock isn't valuable?

Lets see what actually playing in a real system and having some of the best coaches around for a year does. I'm betting that he ends up rounding out his defensive game and faceoffs this year and in a year or two we will see a jump in points as he eventually starts to play consistently with better linemates.

Why must he go if he fits in well with what we need going forward? Because some fans believe they know more then Shanny and company? If it was felt for a second that he is a flop and or not worth the effort Shanny wouldn't have made the comments about him that he did.

Shanny has a spot for him in our top 6...He just has to earn it like everyone else.

Would it be too much to ask for them to write something we want to read and not just more clickbait? Try writing real articles and discussing relevant topics without trying to assassinate the character and or mental/physical/emotional state of the players they are demanding play better.

No more press in the locker room, supervised corridor interviews and if you eff around you get to sit down and look Lou in the face while he breaks off a Ban stick.

You probably phrased it better then I did for sure.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013

Given that media outlets own the team, the fact that there is negativity around the team isn't necessarily a bad thing from a "freedom of the press" philosophical stand point.

I agree that negativity is overdone and the pressure they put on these young folks is staggering. That said, so are their rewards for putting up with it.

I think I would prefer challenging views in the media vs stories that flow through a PR screener even if they paint dark clouds.

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC
Given that media outlets own the team, the fact that there is negativity around the team isn't necessarily a bad thing from a "freedom of the press" philosophical stand point.

I agree that negativity is overdone and the pressure they put on these young folks is staggering. That said, so are their rewards for putting up with it.

I think I would prefer challenging views in the media vs stories that flow through a PR screener even if they paint dark clouds.

I'm not suggesting some sort of communist style media filtering.

Shanny and Babcock both spoke about the need to create a "safe" environment to work in. Taming the media to an extent is a must in order to enable that to happen.

I'm not saying that players not be asked tough or to the point questions. That's fair game and par for the course. BUT... when a players outside activities/personal life and clickbait made up to get attention is brought up then it needs to be dealt with and quickly.

I guess I just wish the media would be supportive of the players and team rather then looking for any little tiny reason to crap on someone. But at the same time if VALID criticism is called for... have at it but do it in a professional way.

The "O-Dog" is a joke. What is he 12? Whats with the gangster rapper like nickname?

I'm guessing that it came from his teammates seeing him walk up to them and whispering " Oh Dog...here he comes, let's gtfo of here before he starts talking again"

LeafsFIO*

Could you see Kadri on the 2nd line of the past 9 years of Blackhawks, Kings, Bruins, Penguins, or Red Wings, or Ducks?

Because I can't, at all...

If you move Zetterberg to the wing yes, and Kadri is better than Anisimov, so yes

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad