drinking in the locker room?

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON
I don't mind the drinking in the room (1 or 2 of course), but it's when the idiots decide to light up a cigarette, as illegal as it is, without regards to what anyone else cares that pisses me off! Bad enough, I just busted my butt out there, but now I have to inhale your second hand smoke while I am trying to wind down.

Actually one team I played against at this private rink mentioned in a post of mine above, would drink heavily before they went on, not to mention if you walked by their dressing room (which they kept tightly closed), you could clearly smell that they were smoking alright, but not tobacco!

member 30781

In our locker room I've seen then drink before. Also after the game in the parking lot, people will pull out lawn chairs, sit, chat, and drink. Never been an issue.

nullterm

Dec 8, 2007
Port Moody, BC
Rink where I play is privately owned and run. I don't know what the official policy is, but I'm sure they don't complain about the extra revenue they get from all the beer cans in the recycle bins in each locker room.

City owned/run rinks seem to care alot more and will nail ya to the wall if they catch you. Understandably, considering they focus mainly on minor hockey over adult rec.

Smoking is a big no no, but some teammates still light up. Which I find annoying as hell considering don't smoke and hate walking into a room with the lingering stench.

The Spicy Shrimp

Jul 7, 2010
After a tough loss, the guy who runs my league asked us if we had any beer in the dressing room as we were coming off the ice. We responded yes, and he said "well that's the important thing." So it's expected, even though there are signs everywhere saying no alcohol in the dressing rooms. Hell, people roll in coolers and have two fours in plain view (not even hidden in a bag) on their way in.

Pierre Gotye

Mar 17, 2009
McKinney, TX
I live an Texas, and it's plenty fine.

Same for Colorado. I couldn't imagine what Hockey would be like without the Canadian Gatorade following it.

Blueland89

Dec 1, 2009
Cartersville, Ga
obviously this is for the adults.....so the thread about the co-ed locker rooms got me to wondering, do you drink in the locker room after your game? and if so, where (in the world) do you play?

this has become a minor issue in our local league. in Atlanta you are NOT allowed to bring alcohol into the rink. not sure why, it's just the way it's always been. every season we get complaints from the rink about a team leaving beer cans in the locker room, usually done by a guy who's just moved here and doesn't know any better. typically after games we either tailgate in the parking lot or head down to the bar which is maybe 100 yards from the rink.

Do you play in Kennesaw or Gwinnett

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
In the arenas near where i live there is signs in every room. However, everyone in a beer league does it. And if the guys running the rink are not a bunch of sallies, they wont say a word.

Likely you will even find them coming into the room and chatting....however there is a few 'power trip' guys that want to get there nose in on everything....usually more often do it against the younger guys rather than bothering the older ones.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
My men's league team will have a post game locker room beer fairly often. As others have stated it's never technically allowed, but at the rink I play at this rule is not enforced whatsoever.

mohare

Dec 13, 2010
The rink I play in has a clear no alcohol in the dressing room policy. My team has a beer duty sign up sheet. Being a rookie, the first time I brought it I cleaned up the empties afterwards. Later on I found out that we leave the empties for the rink workers so they can return them for the deposit.

We don't carry the beer in "obviously", by which I mean clearly showing its beer. I usually pack it in my bag, other people bring coolers (not plastic, lunch bag looking).

We also only drink after the games. Can't imagine playing a rec league without the beer.

thesniper99

Jun 2, 2008
Oil Country, B.C.
We have a beer rotation in our team, we play out of burnaby technically not allowed but rink hands seem to look the other way as long as we dont stay in the locker rooms for more than 30 to 45 min. Aren't adult leagues called Beer leagues for a reason? Maybe because of all the beer bellies LOL

Like to add: our locker rooms are provided with recycling bins, we dispose of them there cause if a mess is left behind, i'm pretty sure those rink workers would remember us next time and clear us out before we could start drinking.

Last edited:

Noir

Aug 27, 2009
Vancouver, CAN
I personally don't but as for other people, it really only bothers me because a lot of those guys never clean up after themselves.

Nothing more annoying than walking into your room and the previous team has beer cans all over.

(although I'm generalizing, it's possible that per team, it may actually just be 1 or 2 or maybe just a handful within the team that are guilty of it) but still, doesn't make it any less annoying.

kingscourt26

Jul 19, 2010
Beer is ok in cans only. No bottles. Hell, most of the time the refs come and tell us "good game" because they know we'll offer them one.

There is a rink a bit north from us (in Valencia, CA) that actually serves it too.

shoeshine boy

Aug 14, 2008
Do you play in Kennesaw or Gwinnett

neither. I play for the AAHL and we play out of The Cooler, The Ice and the MIC. my team had the very first league game at the Ice. afterwards the owner came out and took pictures of "The first tailgate at the Ice." :)
for us the parking lot is similar to the locker room for most of you. officially drinking is not allowed but as long as we clean up after ourselves the rink turns a blind eye. occasionally the cops drive through but they never give us a hard time. after Winter breaks teams will bring grills and hang out all afternoon on Saturday and Sunday.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
my junior b team which was relocated this year gave us 24 beer after every win, which was sadly not very often. Last year when we played in the old town we had unlimited beer after every home game nomatter what the outcome. We would have a couple dozen or so in the dressing room while we sat around taking our gear off, while some guys went in the bathroom and smoked things other than cigarettes. Then once we were ready we would go to the back of the arena where we had our own little room with a bar built and couches and everything all just for the team. Back here there was usually a keg tapped or at least a fridge full of beer and we would drink until we would have to leave and get on the last ferry (it was on an island). In the rec league on that same island every team brings in around 4 or 5 dozen a game and the rink attendant puts them in a cooler for us. Some players drink some dont. The league is sponsored by labatt so with the money we build off selling beer at rec we have several team parties throughout the year.

Waltah*

the body craves nothing more after a good cardio and strenuous workout than alcohol. lol :sarcasm:

i dont think i could stomach a beer right after a game.

Briere Up There*

All the time at pickup, but usually I don't drink myself. Everybody cleans up their trash as far as I know.

gintonic

Jan 16, 2009
the body craves nothing more after a good cardio and strenuous workout than alcohol. lol :sarcasm:

other than water (which you should be drinking throughout the game) I can't think of anything more than a cold beer that really hits the spot after a game. Beer has B vitamin nutrients too that aid in the recovery process. Now obviously having too much is not good, but a couple is actually good for you.

Dump and Chase

Hand of God
May 6, 2010

I usually stomach 2 in the span of about 10 minutes and they are freakin delicious.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad