drinking in the locker room?

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
I have honestly never seen a no alcohol rule enforced apart from at a rink where they have a bar and want you to buy the stuff from them. It's called beer league for a reason.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Used to enjoy nothing more than a beer after a game.

Sometimes though (couple times a year in one rink in particular) coming in at 5:30 in the morning to coach Peewees at 6:00am and seeing a dressing room totally littered with beer cans, I gotta ask "what in hell were they thinking".

A little common sense goes a long way.

nukethewhales

gotta nuke something
Feb 8, 2011
Toronto
Our backup goalie keeps beer in his water bottle while sitting on the bench. I guess when you're a backup goalie for a rec league, you have to get by somehow.

Thordic

StraightOuttaConklin
Jul 12, 2006
Haha not a hockey story, but one I was reminded of.

When I was in college, we had a club lacrosse team. We were terrible, and got very very little support. To field a decent lacrosse team, you need around 25-30 guys, minimum. We would have 10 show up for games, 11 if we were lucky. Ironman lacrosse. Imagine playing a whole hockey game without line changes. It was rough.

So, we kept an alumni roster. No one checked rosters before games since it was a club league, and we'd make phone calls before games to see if any alumni wanted to come back and play. One game we were particularly desperate because we didn't think we'd have enough players, so we called everyone. Eventually we tracked down some former grad student who was now like 30 but was willing to come out.

The next day, we show up, and we have 10 guys. Unfortunate, but we were used to it. But then the alumni mentioned earlier shows up. With a keg. He plops it down on the bench like its a gatorade cooler, pulls a sleeve of cups out of his gear bag, and puts his pads on.

The game was a disaster. It was amazing we didn't get thrown out of the league. I just remember my dad came to that game and he thought it was the funniest thing he ever saw. The alumni kept drinking all game, and we decided to only put him out there for faceoffs (which he was amazing at, even after a number of beers).

I'm sure I'll get some holier-than-thou replies to this story, but I just had to share anyway.

iamjs

Oct 1, 2008
Haha not a hockey story, but one I was reminded of.

When I was in college, we had a club lacrosse team. We were terrible, and got very very little support. To field a decent lacrosse team, you need around 25-30 guys, minimum. We would have 10 show up for games, 11 if we were lucky. Ironman lacrosse. Imagine playing a whole hockey game without line changes. It was rough.

So, we kept an alumni roster. No one checked rosters before games since it was a club league, and we'd make phone calls before games to see if any alumni wanted to come back and play. One game we were particularly desperate because we didn't think we'd have enough players, so we called everyone. Eventually we tracked down some former grad student who was now like 30 but was willing to come out.

The next day, we show up, and we have 10 guys. Unfortunate, but we were used to it. But then the alumni mentioned earlier shows up. With a keg. He plops it down on the bench like its a gatorade cooler, pulls a sleeve of cups out of his gear bag, and puts his pads on.

The game was a disaster. It was amazing we didn't get thrown out of the league. I just remember my dad came to that game and he thought it was the funniest thing he ever saw. The alumni kept drinking all game, and we decided to only put him out there for faceoffs (which he was amazing at, even after a number of beers).

I'm sure I'll get some holier-than-thou replies to this story, but I just had to share anyway.

not from me. I've seen games like that, and it's unintentional comedy at it's best as long as it doesn't get out of control. I should also throw in the disclaimer that I wouldn't personally do it. The last time I drank before a game I was dehydrated by the first period after a few beers.

I'm not one who drinks before the game or even in the locker room. Every once in awhile I might do beers elsewhere if the locker room agrees to it. But for the most of it, it's 9-5 jobs in the morning, or in my case it's wake up at 445 to be at work at 6.

Last edited:

Thordic

StraightOuttaConklin
Jul 12, 2006
not from me. I've seen games like that, and it's unintentional comedy at it's best as long as it doesn't get out of control.

In my teams defense, the majority of us didn't have anything more than a beer at halftime. It was really only the alumni who was getting wasted. The best part was no matter how much he drank he kept winning faceoffs.

I'm pretty sure the score ended up being something in the range of 20-2. About average for our team. We managed to win one game while I was there.

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
No, of course not.

Drinking in the locker room after a hockey game is pretty irresponsible, don't you think? I mean first off, you're definitely breaking some rink rules, but you're also setting a bad example for any young children that might be at the game. You come out of the locker room smelling like alcohol. What a bunch of losers.

:sarcasm:

I play in a college league and it's pretty much understood that you have to drink after the game. I don't think I've been to a game in my 2 years that there wasn't some type of drinking going on, whether it be beer or occasionally liquor.
My first ever college game our goalie showed up hammered. Absolutely destroyed. He was barely able to stand up in his crease, let alone stop any pucks. He had the foulest smelling liquor in his water bottle on his net, the thing smelled like pure gasoline. We were definitely the superior team but lost 17-6.

MDCSL

Jun 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Old ass thread, but we have beer after every game but we take all the empties with us - it hasn’t happened, but I believe the league will issue fines if you leave garbage/empties behind

DingerMcSlapshot

Dec 1, 2017
Used to allow drinking in my rink. Until one of the teams, I was playing against had strippers after the game and pinned the doors shut. Ignored arena staff attempts to stop the shenanigans. I did get to see the shows as, I had friends/ex teammates on the opposing team. Fun until the cops came.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Used to allow drinking in my rink. Until one of the teams, I was playing against had strippers after the game and pinned the doors shut. Ignored arena staff attempts to stop the shenanigans. I did get to see the shows as, I had friends/ex teammates on the opposing team. Fun until the cops came.

i-dont-believe-you-lies.gif

Reactions: The Crypto Guy

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG

You bump an 11 year old thread to say "ouch"?

To answer the question - it's like everyone else. League rules prohibit it, arena rules prohibit it, everyone does it. Just show some respect by not flaunting it.

As a lawyer it actually makes a certain amount of sense. You could theoretically go out and get a liquor license for the dressing rooms - but then you (either the league/arena) responsible for what happens, and you have to monitor how much is being served. If someone goes and gets in an accident after drinking in the dressing room the league/arena could be held partially responsible.

But if it's prohibited, then the league or arena can say "not our problem - it's prohibited".

nilan30

Jan 14, 2004
I've never been in a dressing room that didn't say 'No Alcohol' on the wall. And I've never played on a team or a pickup skate that ever followed that sign. I can't remember the last time I played without at least one dressing room beer after. Sometimes in tourneys if we had the last game of the night, the arena staff would tell us 'just make sure the door is locked when you guys leave'

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
You bump an 11 year old thread to say "ouch"?

To answer the question - it's like everyone else. League rules prohibit it, arena rules prohibit it, everyone does it. Just show some respect by not flaunting it.

As a lawyer it actually makes a certain amount of sense. You could theoretically go out and get a liquor license for the dressing rooms - but then you (either the league/arena) responsible for what happens, and you have to monitor how much is being served. If someone goes and gets in an accident after drinking in the dressing room the league/arena could be held partially responsible.

But if it's prohibited, then the league or arena can say "not our problem - it's prohibited".

In the poster's defense, I'm assuming this was because of the shitty glitchy website experience on mobile.

It's happened to me before. You're posting in one thread and suddenly the web page scrolls down all by itself and you click on a link to a random thread, such as this one and you end up posting in it.

You'll notice, if you log in on mobile and then scroll all the way down, you'll see links to random old ass threads there.

beedee

Jan 13, 2014
I don't drink, but some guys on my team drink beers on the bench during the game.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
In all the Florida rinks I have played at they sell beer and people bring it in to drink pregame and after. Most of them also have a bar and restaurant. It happens if there is a girl on the team or not.

ElLeetch

Mar 28, 2018
you are not allowed to bring alcohol in any rink in Canada. However, I used to work at an arena, and we knew it was going on, but as long as we didnt see it, we didnt care

"what happens in the locker room, stays in the locker room"

I know i am bumping an old thread comment, and this comment was from 2011, but a few years before this, about 2005, i played at a quad rink complex in Montreal for a tournament, and not only could you drink in the locker room, they had a waitress come in and take your order.

what changed?

jiboy

la game dans la game
May 2, 2007
We have beer after every game in our beerleague , almost all teams do it and theres no issue

Have to gain back all the calories asap

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
My buddy and I used to drink a pitcher before playing pick-up hockey. It was fun playing with a minor buzz.

I remember our goalie used to bring in a 30 rack for one of my beer leagues. I never really drank anything unless he randomly threw me a beer in which case I would take a few sips.

I just didn't see the point in having a beer when I was going directly home to sleep after the game. I probably would've been more inclined to have a couple before the game, but he was always keen on sharing his beers after the game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad