Drewiske on waivers at noon (UPD: clears waivers)

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
I'm harsh on MB, but I don't get why anyone is upset about this. We can debate why he signed him for two years, that's a valid debate, but arguing that we should see what he has now is foolish. We know what he has, and it ain't much. He's an alright option for a 7th/8th dman, the only problem I have is with managements propensity to sign fringe players in the first place and to go out of their way to do it so soon. Priorities are out of whack imo, but whatever, this move is a nothing move and 100% correct.

Contract signings happen when two parties are ready to agree on a deal.

If the Habs can extend Markov right now at a good rate for 2 years, should they hold off until Subban gets signed and let him walk? that makes no sense. The reason Subban is not signed is not because he isn't a priority it's because they are probably apart on the numbers...does that mean Mb should stand pat until they can agree? Which might be in July or August?

The only TRUE cost Drewiske has is his 50 player contract spot. Once he is waived he has zero cap hit, so why would anybody be upset he was extended last year?

It's unfortunate he got hurt in camp as with Emelin out he may have gotten a chance to show what he can do and proven he could play solid NHL minutes...but an injury derailed that...now Tinordi Beaulieu and Pateryn are coming so he is unlikely to get an extended look here. Maybe if he plays well AHL somebody trades for him over the summer...

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
Contract signings happen when two parties are ready to agree on a deal.

If the Habs can extend Markov right now at a good rate for 2 years, should they hold off until Subban gets signed and let him walk? that makes no sense. The reason Subban is not signed is not because he isn't a priority it's because they are probably apart on the numbers...does that mean Mb should stand pat until they can agree? Which might be in July or August?

The only TRUE cost Drewiske has is his 50 player contract spot. Once he is waived he has zero cap hit, so why would anybody be upset he was extended last year?

It's unfortunate he got hurt in camp as with Emelin out he may have gotten a chance to show what he can do and proven he could play solid NHL minutes...but an injury derailed that...now Tinordi Beaulieu and Pateryn are coming so he is unlikely to get an extended look here. Maybe if he plays well AHL somebody trades for him over the summer...

Because they did it before the opening of the free agency market and because they definitely could have signed/used that roster spot for someone with more impact on the team's performance. It's as simple as that. The contract was a waste of ink and Molson's money (that I couldn't care less about).

Edit: The wasted opportunities on the FA market is what is frustrating about this. I still want to see O'Byrne personally, eh. ;)

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012
Because they did it before the opening of the free agency market and because they definitely could have signed/used that roster spot for someone with more impact on the team's performance. It's as simple as that. The contract was a waste of ink and Molson's money (that I couldn't care less about).

Edit: The wasted opportunities on the FA market is what is frustrating about this. I still want to see O'Byrne personally, eh. ;)

It was a waste of ink, I agree, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt on this one. I dunno why we rushed to sign a fringe nhler when better options were available, but whatever. If that's the worst he'll do, I'm ok with that, but he's already made many more moves much worse than this one. From the hiring of the coach on down.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008

What great UFA did you see them signing for 650k to be a #8 d-man(with Emelin healthy)?

The part a lot of people don't see to grasp is, some of the late UFA signing that sign cheap in Florida or NYI, they go there on 1 year deals hoping to get big minutes and sign a big contract in 2014. The type of contract they spent the summer of 2013 looking for. If you try and sign Gilbert instead of Drewiske at the start of UFA he'd want 3-4 years at around 3 mil/year...once it was apparent he isn't getting it by August/Sept, the first question he(or his agent) asks MB is "what will my role/minutes be?" Drewisje signed that deal knowing he would be a spare part and play in case of injuries...Gilbert would not sign that deal, probably going KHL instead of the press box in Montreal.

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010

Did you pay any attention to the UFA dmen list last year? It was awfully sparse. And it's not like it hamstrung MB...he signed Murray - one of the few UFA dmen available.

Folks are really going out of their way to find things to be critical about.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad