Drewiske on waivers at noon (UPD: clears waivers)

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
signing a 7th D to a 2 year deal at 600 grand in change is hardly stupid.

are people just mad that MB's other signings aren't looking so bad now and now they have to make this drewiske waiving look like an unmitigated disaster?

do it better people

What other signings that aren't looking so bad? Parros? Moen 4 years? Emelin's? How's Brandon Prust lately? Is Bouillon playing? Murray? Fine....hardly a key player. But he's doing a fine job. Weise....too soon to tell. Brière? Now he's a hero? You sign a player 2 years....not 1....so he has to be part of your team and your depth and then...on waivers. Oh and there's different gradation in stupidity. A move can still be not a big one and yet still be stupid. Nobody talked about "disastrous". No need to invent a point that wasn't made in the first place.

Do it better yourself.

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
Drewiske was brought here as a depth guy and we signed him for peanuts. I have no problem with the move at first and it's no different now. He's still a depth guy but he will be playing in the AHL and he will cost nothing against the cap.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
How? Drewiske is a depth player. Thankfully he hasn't been missed/needed this year. He'll definitely help the Bulldogs and won't cost a cent on the cap. Maybe there will be a bunch of injuries next season and we'll be lucky to have an NHL ready defenseman in Hamilton, rather than calling up someone who isn't ready or who simply isn't good enough.

How many guys in this league have seen signed 2 years to be put on waivers and play in the AHL? I'm waiting for that list. Don't waste your time though.....you might not be able to find too many of those. This team is building his depth before they build their foundation. Bergevin is making his great Gainey impression with his Garth Murray and Aaron Downey's signings....

Drewiske was brought in to be depth....but at 2 years, he had to be part of much more than going through waivers and play in the AHL. A depth that was surely suppose to be #7 and play from time to time. But now, he's not good enough in that stretch to play ahead of Murray and Tinordi. And Bouillon is ahead of him, though it's mostly because he's local and they don't want to make a big fuss of putting him on waivers, that I know. And we traded for the guy. Yeah, just a 5th round...it's not like there are good player in that round anyway (though lately, Grégoire in the 6th, Hudon in the 5th, Dietz, Gallagher), still both Drewiske and Weise are waiver material that we ended up trading for. A depth player like Drewiske, we surely could have gotten that through waivers.

Is it a big deal? No. As far as I'm concerned, it is a thread about Drewiske so we're talking about it. And a move can be stupid even if it's not detrimental for the well-being of a team.

Last edited:

Phil Parent

Sorel, 'fant d'chienne!
Feb 4, 2005
Sorel-Tracy, Quebec
Players sent to waiver in February 2014 that had 2-years (or more) contracts.

Riku Helenius
Colin Fraser
Jean-Philippe Coté
Stephane Veilleux
Ben Street

Or roughly half of the players that were waived in the month.

So it's not that rare an occurance. Not counting guys like Wade Redden who had LONG and EXPENSIVE deals who were made to rot in the AHL.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
What the hell is a Riku Helenius ?

Whitesnake's worst nightmare.

Jeeze, WS, you make it sound like nothing changes in the NHL. Nothing is in flux. The way things are today they were 6 months ago.

When MB signed Drewiske to that two year contract:

we had
P.K.
Gorges
Diaz
Murray

Markov was a partial question mark. Still not 100% sure he could play healthy for a full season.
Bouillon could fill in but no longer a full time NHLer.
Emelin was a big question mark
Tinordi WAS NOT READY
Beaulieu WAS NOT READY
Pateryn WAS NOT READY

So we had 4 d-men that we could count on if no injury hit the d corps.

Before the season started Drew was injured. Murray was injured. For the negatives. As For the positive as the season progressed Markov showed he could play an important constant role, Emelin jumped leaps & bounds ahead of schedule. Beaulieu & Tinordi progressed to the point that they could move in and not look out of place.

Drewskie was insurance for an uncertain future. D-men are always going down. I thought it was a smart inexpensive signing.

I'd bet my house that if Emelin didn't come back so quickly and markov didn't prove to be so effective and that MB did not sign Drew on the off season YOU would be the first one criticizing MB. I could just see you: we had a 6th d-man and he let him go. What an incompetent GM.

Today MB has taken note that his d-men are in great shape and Drew is not needed.

The only MB move I disagree with was the Briere signing and it looks like Briere may not be that bad after all. And I was wrong and MB was right.

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010
WS - you have to look at when the deal was made, not now - the Habs were battling for a division crown and lacked defensive depth. One injury to a top six guy and we were in trouble - Beaulieu wasn't ready, Tinordi was in the minors....giving up a fifth for Drewiskie wasn't a bad deal at all at the time..and the club was even able to re-sign him, unlike players like Moore and the Wiz...who cost a lot more than Drewiskie, and fled as UFA's at season's end.

Believe me - there have been a number of players over the years signed to contracts who ended up going to the minors because they lost a spot while they were injured. I'm not going to spend several hours digging this info up, but to suggest it never happens is off base. I just don't understand how that is considered such a stupid move when you don't know that he'll be out for the season with injury..sure easy to be an armchair GM and criticize it now.

As for pointing to Timmins' successes with fifth round picks as the reasoning for never dealing one - the odds of Timmins lucking out with every fifth round pick aren't very high...the percentages tell us that it's a lot more likely that he'll be picking a Stejskal, Valentenko, Conboy or Trunev with his next fifth round pick than a Gallagher. If I had my choice of having two second round picks or three fifths...I'll take the seconds.

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010
Whitesnake's worst nightmare.

Jeeze, WS, you make it sound like nothing changes in the NHL. Nothing is in flux. The way things are today they were 6 months ago.

When MB signed Drewiske to that two year contract:

we had
P.K.
Gorges
Diaz
Murray

Markov was a partial question mark. Still not 100% sure he could play healthy for a full season.
Bouillon could fill in but no longer a full time NHLer.
Emelin was a big question mark
Tinordi WAS NOT READY
Beaulieu WAS NOT READY
Pateryn WAS NOT READY

So we had 4 d-men that we could count on if no injury hit the d corps.

Before the season started Drew was injured. Murray was injured. For the negatives. As For the positive as the season progressed Markov showed he could play an important constant role, Emelin jumped leaps & bounds ahead of schedule. Beaulieu & Tinordi progressed to the point that they could move in and not look out of place.

Drewskie was insurance for an uncertain future. D-men are always going down. I thought it was a smart inexpensive signing.

I'd bet my house that if Emelin didn't come back so quickly and markov didn't prove to be so effective and that MB did not sign Drew on the off season YOU would be the first one criticizing MB. I could just see you: we had a 6th d-man and he let him go. What an incompetent GM.

Today MB has taken note that his d-men are in great shape and Drew is not needed.

The only MB move I disagree with was the Briere signing and it looks like Briere may not be that bad after all. And I was wrong and MB was right.

Well said. I had a similar reply for WS..but then my computer crashed halfway through posting it, and when I got back on WS's last reply was decidedly different. ;-)

Funny to see people now criticizing Therrien so much for not playing the guy Bergevin was criticized so much for signing in Briere.

Mario le Magnifique

Habs apologist, closet Pens fan
Dec 6, 2007
My basement
LOL at the bunch of angry forum warriors in this thread.

Pathetic bunch of fellas.

You'd think the Habs are about to pick top 5 reading this board.

Yet, DD is putting up points, Bergy is preaching a patient approach and people blame him for waiving a bandaid, stop gap, fringe 30 years old NHL player to make room for our youngsters ?

Credibility went down dat drain right there. Drew was insurance in case of injuries, and still is. This ain't NHL 14. Bergy did the right move in signing some insurance for our defense. Not like 5fth rounders always developp into solid NHL material. Stop nitpicking and overreacting like spoiled brats.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Let's all collectively curb the personal snipes and stick to talking hockey - there's no need to attack someone's hockey knowledge just because you disagree with their opinion. Thanks.

Phil Parent

Sorel, 'fant d'chienne!
Feb 4, 2005
Sorel-Tracy, Quebec
By the way, this topic is about Davis Drewiske being waived.

We'll know in 23 minutes if the great DaDrew is still ours.

Meanwhile, let's reminisce about his great moments with us.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003

To this day, we keep going from Tinordi, to Beaulieu, to Tinordi, to Beaulieu....how about giving Drewiske a chance to see what he can do? That way, you know more about the Drewiske that you signed for 2 years. And you don't lose Tinordi and Beaulieu that you continue their development in the AHL. Strange that some people don't mind that Beaulieu's development is continuing in the AHL....so why can't Tinordi keep develping there too? I don't believe that neither Tinordi or Beaulieu will play a key role with this team this year, so I would have like to see what is that Drewiske was all about. But I guess that's just me. Of course though, we won't lose him to waivers, which is then a good sign. Why not send Drewiske in a conditioning stint instead?

WS - you have to look at when the deal was made, not now - the Habs were battling for a division crown and lacked defensive depth. One injury to a top six guy and we were in trouble - Beaulieu wasn't ready, Tinordi was in the minors....giving up a fifth for Drewiskie wasn't a bad deal at all at the time..and the club was even able to re-sign him, unlike players like Moore and the Wiz...who cost a lot more than Drewiskie, and fled as UFA's at season's end.

My main problem was the 2-year signature. The deal...well so be it. We tried. But my "original" point about Drewiske was the 2-year signature. not the deal. And signing him 2 years when he showed NOTHING after we acquired him was excessive for me. And my problem is that we keep signing depth while I don't believe, in my opinion, if I'm allowed to have one, that we are building depth 'cause it's easy to do while not going after the toughest decision to improve the core.

Believe me - there have been a number of players over the years signed to contracts who ended up going to the minors because they lost a spot while they were injured. I'm not going to spend several hours digging this info up, but to suggest it never happens is off base. I just don't understand how that is considered such a stupid move when you don't know that he'll be out for the season with injury..sure easy to be an armchair GM and criticize it now.

We are ALL armchair GM.....are all armchair coach.....and are all armchair players...yet everybody in here have no problems bashing EVERY member of this team, from present to past management, you included. That's OUR job. Being armchair. That's all we can do. And it's a board of opinions. Now, you totally ahve the right to bash posters who would come with "I don't like his face, hence he sucks" type of opinions. I'd totally agree with you. But I know that while I can TOTALLY disagree with opinions that I have with some people, like Kriss E or Lafleur Guy for example, I'm also TOTALLY able to respect them 'cause their "analysis" goes further than he stinks hence he sucks".

As for pointing to Timmins' successes with fifth round picks as the reasoning for never dealing one - the odds of Timmins lucking out with every fifth round pick aren't very high...the percentages tell us that it's a lot more likely that he'll be picking a Stejskal, Valentenko, Conboy or Trunev with his next fifth round pick than a Gallagher. If I had my choice of having two second round picks or three fifths...I'll take the seconds.

It's never about NEVER making a deal involving a 5th round pick, it's to be more careful and add a player that will still play some kinda of role based on the fact that we have one of the top best head scout in the business and that if we want to improve our team, we need to keep and use as many draft picks we can. 'Cause a 5th round pick might just be that....but it could also be paired with something else to move in the draft. And yes, I'd also take the seconds...not sure that I should have to precise that.

habitue*

Drewiske cleared and will be assigned to Hamilton.

650k to play at AHL level. Not bad !

But I would not be very surprised to see him back soon if some trades involving our current d-men happens.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Some have a score to settle with Bergevin:

Fred Poulin ‏@FredPoulin98 28m
The great Davis Drewiske, Marc Bergevin's greatest coup so far, has cleared waivers and will report to the #Bulldogs of the #AHL

Bacchus1

Fill the net!
Sep 10, 2007
Montreal
Good for the Dogs. They will have a new very good D to help them down the stretch. Drewisky may be a marginal NHL player, but I am sure he will be a very good to 4 D for the Dogs.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Maybe we'll trade him now that he's waiver exempt and can be assigned to the AHL for the next month or so without having to be put on waivers again. A team like Washington always shores up for a Calder cup run in Hershey.

macavoy

May 27, 2009
Houston, Tx
To this day, we keep going from Tinordi, to Beaulieu, to Tinordi, to Beaulieu....how about giving Drewiske a chance to see what he can do? That way, you know more about the Drewiske that you signed for 2 years. And you don't lose Tinordi and Beaulieu that you continue their development in the AHL. Strange that some people don't mind that Beaulieu's development is continuing in the AHL....so why can't Tinordi keep develping there too? I don't believe that neither Tinordi or Beaulieu will play a key role with this team this year, so I would have like to see what is that Drewiske was all about. But I guess that's just me. Of course though, we won't lose him to waivers, which is then a good sign. Why not send Drewiske in a conditioning stint instead?

Why on earth would you give an insurance policy a chance to see what he can do? He knows what he can do, be a 7th dman on a team. Do you need to see him more to make that realization? Are you that out to lunch that you haven't been able to make that assessment in the games he played earlier in the year?

I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU WANT TO SEND TINORDI TO HAMILTON so you can assess Drewiske. Tinordi and Beaulieu have top 4 potential, Drewiske doesn't, why would you waste your time on someone who doesn't have potential?

I think you've shown that you are too emotional about Bergevin and trying to slander him because I don't think you really believe what your saying.

Phil Parent

Sorel, 'fant d'chienne!
Feb 4, 2005
Sorel-Tracy, Quebec
Is he reporting to Hamilton?

He has to. If he wants to be paid. He could not report, but then the Habs can just void his contract with not a cent owed to him and he'd be UFA... after clearing waivers and not having played in a year, I'm not sure what he'd wish to accomplish by not reporting.

He needs play time badly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad