Speculation: Drew Remenda new color guy?

MCDAVIDISH

Jul 18, 2011
Edmonton
Sharks fan here,

Drew is the kind of color guy I love; he isn't shy of being critical to those who aren't pulling their weight. He has an enormous amount of knowledge of the sport, and WILL comment on wrong/missed calls not just in favor of your team but the other as well. I think the Sharks let him go frankly because he was at times too cynical of the team. Seriously depressed he is gone, but glad to see he is somewhere where hockey is glorified.

Please treat him well. I will probably listen to Oilers' broadcasts when they play SJ now.

Thanks for your input. Lots of people here judging him before even seeing him haha kinda funny.

MCDAVIDISH

Jul 18, 2011
Edmonton
These are great announcers to you?

No wonder you like Remenda.

may god help us if Ferraro and Reaugh are better:amazed:

We're not setting the bar real high here.

I tend to think younger people haven't really seen quality commentators and wouldn't know the difference. No way in hell I would compare anybody in hockey broadcasting today to the legends. Emrick comes the closest.

You sounds like my grandpa replacement. ;)... Also Ferraro is one of the best. Seriously!

knockoutpanda

Oilers Fan
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
Drew Remenda was an assistant coach in the NHL and with him being critical I would have loved for him to see the "swarm". I am excited about this change. I want some one that is going to talk about the game rather than how Gazdic fought really well.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Remenda was on HNIC and if he was memorable he would've made an impression. The telecast would be better with the commentating muted. Like I said just give the rink sounds option.

In all fairness to Drew, even he knows he wasn't a standout because CBC didn't let Drew be Drew as opposed to the Sharks who just let him get on the mic and spit it. Consequently, this is why he left CBC and rejoined the Sharks crew after his one season with HNIC.

http://sharks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=474526#&navid=SJS-search

Remenda did value his team at the top level of Canadian broadcasting during his tenure.

“The people at Hockey Night are unbelievable people to work with,” said Remenda. “They’ve been doing it for a long time and they know what they’re doing. But, you walk out of a game and you feel that you really didn’t do much. I didn’t seem like myself. It is much more by the book, and I like to explain a little more and teach the game. I don’t think I was as good a Drew Remenda with Hockey Night in Canada as I was with the San Jose Sharks.

I'm another guy that likes Remenda. To me, he brings that "kid in a candy store" type of excitement to the broadcast. He loves the game and loves being able to teach the game over the air. No disrespect to Debrusk, but half the time I'm not even sure he was awake or even in the broadcast booth. If all the Sharks fans are saying we will love him, I'm taking their word on it.

Last edited:

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
As a Sharks fan I am bummed to be losing Drew, his chemistry with Randy was unparallelled in the league and he is a huge broadcasting talent in his own right. He has a great style and sense of humor. You guys are lucky to be getting him and I'm happy he is able to continue to ply his trade.

As for the Ratto incident, you need to keep the team in context. This is the San Jose Sharks, one of the elite teams in the west. The run that created that tough spot was fueled by historic bad luck, the team went on about a 20 game run at .250 win percentage which is so far below even the worst teams in the league that it was clearly not indicative of what was actually happening on the ice. The Sharks were outplaying the opponents on the ice most nights, as I'm sure Oiler fans understand they are wont to do.

That the .250-for-20 run didn't put them irretrievably out of the playoffs means they were a far above .500 team for the prior part of the season, and indeed they practically ran the table the rest of the way to challenge for the division title. It came down to the final day of the regular season.

In other words, Drew was completely right here and Ratto was being a dumbass like many fans were being at the time. "Just win" ... all you can do is outplay the other team, sometimes **** happens in hockey, and the Sharks had been through some serious ****.

Psychoil

Mar 10, 2011
As a Sharks fan I am bummed to be losing Drew, his chemistry with Randy was unparallelled in the league and he is a huge broadcasting talent in his own right. He has a great style and sense of humor. You guys are lucky to be getting him and I'm happy he is able to continue to ply his trade.

As for the Ratto incident, you need to keep the team in context. This is the San Jose Sharks, one of the elite teams in the west. The run that created that tough spot was fueled by historic bad luck, the team went on about a 20 game run at .250 win percentage which is so far below even the worst teams in the league that it was clearly not indicative of what was actually happening on the ice. The Sharks were outplaying the opponents on the ice most nights, as I'm sure Oiler fans understand they are wont to do.

That the .250-for-20 run didn't put them irretrievably out of the playoffs means they were a far above .500 team for the prior part of the season, and indeed they practically ran the table the rest of the way to challenge for the division title. It came down to the final day of the regular season.

In other words, Drew was completely right here and Ratto was being a dumbass like many fans were being at the time. "Just win" ... all you can do is outplay the other team, sometimes **** happens in hockey, and the Sharks had been through some serious ****.

Appreciate the input. Shark fans seem to really like this guy

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Gotta agree Ferraro is great.

Ferraro was awesome when he was doing games for us but man he turned into a ****** when he went to TSN. I understand there are things to critique in the game and that's part of the color commentators job, but Ferraro takes it to a level where I have a hard time listening to him. Too much bickering for me, I'm not a fan. Although he's better than Healy and Johnson..

MCDAVIDISH

Jul 18, 2011
Edmonton
Ferraro was awesome when he was doing games for us but man he turned into a ****** when he went to TSN. I understand there are things to critique in the game and that's part of the color commentators job, but Ferraro takes it to a level where I have a hard time listening to him. Too much bickering for me, I'm not a fan. Although he's better than Healy and Johnson..

Healy in my opinion is the absolute worst. He's so smug.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown

Oh, yes! Finally someone agrees. Every single thing out of Ferraro's mouth is negative, and spoken in his "half yell-half speak" diction that he's perfected. I can't stand it.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I would've preferred Hrudey as well. Not really a great team from SN for the Oilers broadcasts.

Hrudey was awful on the late night CBC broadcasts, worse than Weekes and even Crawford. He's much better as an in studio analyst and with the After Hours stuff.
Remenda is light years better than Hrudey as a color guy at least IMO.

I personally love the hire, I think he'll add some much needed personality to the broadcast. It's too bad that they couldn't coax his buddy Randy Hahn to come over to the Oilers broadcast team and replace Quinn.

These are great announcers to you?

No wonder you like Remenda.

may god help us if Ferraro and Reaugh are better:amazed:

We're not setting the bar real high here.

I tend to think younger people haven't really seen quality commentators and wouldn't know the difference. No way in hell I would compare anybody in hockey broadcasting today to the legends. Emrick comes the closest.

I think you're definitely in the minority on this one although I know that you revel being the ringleader of the very vocal minority. :D
Ferraro and Reaugh are two of the best color guys in the business and I'm definitely not in the minority in thinking that although Ferraro can be a little annoying with his criticisms at times but you'd be hard pressed to find too many better announcers out there than those guys.

For me personally, the Stars and Sharks broadcasts were two of my favorites, the Blues too as I like Darren Pang as well. I like a little personality with my color guys even if they come across as a little loud mouthed at times. I also like players like Subban and Ovechkin for these same reasons. We need more personality in the game.

Last edited:

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
The Oilers are out to win! So shut up Mark Spector! Obviously they played to win.

Sure they lost again but they played to win the game.

knockoutpanda

Oilers Fan
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
The Oilers are out to win! So shut up Mark Spector! Obviously they played to win.

Sure they lost again but they played to win the game.

I don't think Spector is even that dumb to say they should "just win the game". That was a stupid statement that deserved the blacklash that it got.

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
I wonder if I'm alone in liking Kelly Hrudey. Would've preferred him for Oilers broadcasts.

Quinn and Remenda. Yikes. With Principe probably still lurking around?

I like Rhudey too. But I don't know what people's problems are with Remenda. He's great IMO, and hugely knowledgeable and has a great personality, not afraid to call the game from both teams perspectives i.e. he's not a homer. He will be a welcome addition.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I like Rhudey too. But I don't know what people's problems are with Remenda. He's great IMO, and hugely knowledgeable and has a great personality, not afraid to call the game from both teams perspectives i.e. he's not a homer. He will be a welcome addition.

To me Remendas a loudmouth and brings emotion and passion more than what I want from a commentator. I keep hearing he breaks down plays, breaks down hockey. I've rarely seen him do that in any meaningful way, seen no clips on that. Anything I see of him its always him chasing some wagons.

This is how I developed a dislike of Ferraro after previously liking him. Everything with Ray started to be a rant.

With all these above comments from me probably looking highly ironic except that this is not what I bring in actual employment in paid capacity. I rant here as a form of catharsis. In the real world I prefer to bring the goods.

tbh I learn more about hockey from the better posters on this board then I do from hockey commentators. I do hope Remenda brings more of his coaching aspect though. Again haven't seen that mode but I keep hearing its there.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I don't think Spector is even that dumb to say they should "just win the game". That was a stupid statement that deserved the blacklash that it got.
Don't underestimate how stupid, or at the very least- out of touch, Mark Spector is. Watching him defend the PHWA after the way they screwed up the voting for the all star selections last summer cost him any respect I may have had for the guy. He hasn't impressed me much since either.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
We need some good experienced guys in there... Howie Meeker and Harry Neale types... unfortunately Foster Hewitt and Danny Gallivan aren't available.

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
To me Remendas a loudmouth and brings emotion and passion more than what I want from a commentator. I keep hearing he breaks down plays, breaks down hockey. I've rarely seen him do that in any meaningful way, seen no clips on that. Anything I see of him its always him chasing some wagons.

This is how I developed a dislike of Ferraro after previously liking him. Everything with Ray started to be a rant.

With all these above comments from me probably looking highly ironic except that this is not what I bring in actual employment in paid capacity. I rant here as a form of catharsis. In the real world I prefer to bring the goods.

tbh I learn more about hockey from the better posters on this board then I do from hockey commentators. I do hope Remenda brings more of his coaching aspect though. Again haven't seen that mode but I keep hearing its there.

I can't stand Ferraro. Most "overrated" colour man in the business. Arrogant *****. Tries way too hard and feels manufactured, and he loves to hear himself talk.

Last edited:

Summary

Oct 13, 2009
First impression from watching half the first Sharks broadcast clip and getting bored are, he has a good haircut and sounds like a wresting manager, even had the shoulder moves to back it up.

Will miss Debrusk though, I rember that time in Van when he went hulk after a bad game, scuffled with a bunch of artsy Canucks fans and a car.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
I can't stand Ferraro. Most "overrated" colour man in the business. Arrogant *****. Tries way too hard and feels manufactured, and he loves to hear himself talk.

For someone who "hates to talk about when he was a player," he seems to do it all the damn time. Ferraro was junk with the Oilers, and even though he taught himself how to speak, he amped up the ahole factor to 11.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
First impression from watching half the first Sharks broadcast clip and getting bored are, he has a good haircut and sounds like a wresting manager, even had the shoulder moves to back it up.

Will miss Debrusk though, I rember that time in Van when he went hulk after a bad game, scuffled with a bunch of artsy Canucks fans and a car.
I got the WWE vibe real bad listening to him and how he presents. The whole thing with Ratto or whatever his name is to me resembled bullying. probably because the last time in real life I felt the need to freak out on somebody like that I was in juniorhigh school.
jebus just Say the guy was wrong, debate the points, whatever but what Remenda did there is really go at the guy. Really took a run at him. I thought that was odd.

For someone who "hates to talk about when he was a player," he seems to do it all the damn time. Ferraro was junk with the Oilers, and even though he taught himself how to speak, he amped up the ahole factor to 11.
Oh **** yeah. A few times even the wife, who can ignore whole periods of hockey games while reading something looks at me and says "whats eatin that guy" Her theory was he sure wasn't getting any...:laugh:

My own take was if a grumpy rat could talk it would be looking and sounding like Ray Ferraro. I wonder how many players hate this guy.

Heres somebody that likes Ferraro but nails his tendencies to a wall. Brilliant stuff;

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2011/12/26/understanding-ray-ferraro/

Oh and the guy says theres now been a level 6....I would say 11...

**** it i'll just post the chart because its a must look ;)

Ray+Ferraro+Alert+Chart.jpg

Last edited:

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
I got the WWE vibe real bad listening to him and how he presents. The whole thing with Ratto or whatever his name is to me resembled bullying. probably because the last time in real life I felt the need to freak out on somebody like that I was in juniorhigh school.
jebus just Say the guy was wrong, debate the points, whatever but what Remenda did there is really go at the guy. Really took a run at him. I thought that was odd.

Oh **** yeah. A few times even the wife, who can ignore whole periods of hockey games while reading something looks at me and says "whats eatin that guy" Her theory was he sure wasn't getting any...:laugh:

My own take was if a grumpy rat could talk it would be looking and sounding like Ray Ferraro. I wonder how many players hate this guy.

Heres somebody that likes Ferraro but nails his tendencies to a wall. Brilliant stuff;

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2011/12/26/understanding-ray-ferraro/

Oh and the guy says theres now been a level 6....I would say 11...

**** it i'll just post the chart because its a must look ;)

Ray+Ferraro+Alert+Chart.jpg

Haha, that chart is magnificent, so true. :laugh:

frag2

Mar 8, 2006

He beat the **** out of 4 guys and a taxi cab apparently after they dissed the Oilers 6-1 loss IIRC. For that, I will have respect for him regardless of how stupid that act was. Proves he actually cares about the team unlike the players on the ice at that time.

All this bickering, maybe SNET should go off tangent and hire these two...their show happens on SN360 anyways

raw2.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad