Speculation: Drew Remenda new color guy?

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I wonder if I'm alone in liking Kelly Hrudey. Would've preferred him for Oilers broadcasts.

Quinn and Remenda. Yikes. With Principe probably still lurking around?

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I wonder if I'm alone in liking Kelly Hrudey. Would've preferred him for Oilers broadcasts.

I quite like Kelly Hrudey as an analyst in between periods and after games and stuff. Hate him as a colour guy.

I'm not a big Remenda fan, but he's easily a better colour guy than Hrudey is.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo

I would've preferred Hrudey as well. Not really a great team from SN for the Oilers broadcasts.

plikestechno

Mar 14, 2008
Hrudey's great but when doing Calgary games you can hear his sadness. He loves them so much it hurts.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Hrudey is brutal.. Remenda is up there with LA's color guy when it comes to breaking plays down. I think it's a great move.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
He is passionate. He also seems like a homer though. I get really sick of media guys telling me how good the Oilers are playing when what I'm watching isn't matching what they're describing. I sure hope he isn't one of those kind of guys or his act will wear thin pretty quickly.

I haven't read the whole thread, so maybe this has been addressed, but these past couple of years we've been noticing that Remenda has gone out of his way to be overly complimentary of the opposing team and a little critical of the Sharks. We suspect that the Sharks, knowing that they'd be worse this coming year, didn't want the casual fans to be exposed to someone who might imply the flowers don't smell so sweet.

Remenda is fairly smart, passionate, and funny. I think you'll like him.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I haven't read the whole thread, so maybe this has been addressed, but these past couple of years we've been noticing that Remenda has gone out of his way to be overly complimentary of the opposing team and a little critical of the Sharks. We suspect that the Sharks, knowing that they'd be worse this coming year, didn't want the casual fans to be exposed to someone who might imply the flowers don't smell so sweet.

I posted earlier in the thread that I don't watch Sharks broadcasts so I really don't know much about him. Somebody had posted a clip of him ripping into Ray Ratto for criticizing the Sharks when they had lost four in a row and 9 out of 26 on the road and at the time were out of a playoff spot. I thought criticisms of the team under those circumstances weren't out of line but his reaction to Ratto was. I based my opinion of him on that clip.

We have a lot of soft media in this town already who, IMO, are way too soft on this team and organization. I wasn't thrilled about the idea of adding another one. If you are saying the opposite of him is true then I'm probably going to like him. Thanks for your input.

dobiezeke*

Surprising you like Hrudey...he has the same love for the Oilers you do.:sarcasm:

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

How about knowledgeable. That would be nice for once. you know, what a color commentator is supposed to be.

I don't find any of these guys particularly funny, at least not intentionally. When I tune in I want some significant researched details to add to the telecast. Even some good stories. Obviously if I want ranting I can do it myself..:laugh: Oilers get me used to doing that.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
Guys, I come in peace.

I hate your team (lovingly, have a good friend who's a die-hard), but I have also had GameCentre or Centre Ice every year for the past 9 years. Drew Remenda is one of the best colour guys in the business. I am insanely jealous of you guys on this one front.

People who don't like him don't really understand hockey and want someone 'funny', or 'charming'. He can be funny and comes across as a good guy, but the way he breaks plays down is what's so great about him. There aren't many colour commentators who teach me about hockey game to game (I've been watching/playing for 20 years). Drew Remenda, Darryl Reaugh and Ray Ferraro are three of the best (with Ferraro and Reaugh being a step above Remenda).

Enjoy.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Guys, I come in peace.

I hate your team (lovingly, have a good friend who's a die-hard), but I have also had GameCentre or Centre Ice every year for the past 9 years. Drew Remenda is one of the best colour guys in the business. I am insanely jealous of you guys on this one front.

People who don't like him don't really understand hockey and want someone 'funny', or 'charming'. He can be funny and comes across as a good guy, but the way he breaks plays down is what's so great about him. There aren't many colour commentators who teach me about hockey game to game (I've been watching/playing for 20 years). Drew Remenda, Darryl Reaugh and Ray Ferraro are three of the best (with Ferraro and Reaugh being a step above Remenda).

Enjoy.

These are great announcers to you?

No wonder you like Remenda.

may god help us if Ferraro and Reaugh are better:amazed:

We're not setting the bar real high here.

I tend to think younger people haven't really seen quality commentators and wouldn't know the difference. No way in hell I would compare anybody in hockey broadcasting today to the legends. Emrick comes the closest.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011

I tend to think younger people haven't really seen quality commentators and wouldn't know the difference. No way in hell I would compare anybody in hockey broadcasting today to the legends. Emrick comes the closest.

You don't like Reaugh? Dallas's broadcasting duo is top 5 in the league and they have been for years.

Why don't you just wait and listen to him for a couple games instead of basing your opinions on 3 clips and one of which is a particularly emotive clip. He knows the game and he knows how to be part of the broadcast.

He's a good one and you've already decided he's not worth your time.

Wheathead

Formally a McRib
Apr 4, 2008
Saskatoon

I don't think his comment required a backhanded insult.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
You don't like Reaugh? Dallas's broadcasting duo is top 5 in the league and they have been for years.

Why don't you just wait and listen to him for a couple games instead of basing your opinions on 3 clips and one of which is a particularly emotive clip. He knows the game and he knows how to be part of the broadcast.

He's a good one and you've already decided he's not worth your time.

Reaugh is better than your average bear. Ferraro at one point was interested in being a good commentator. Then just started dialing it in. Ferraro last number of years has been content to rant on air over the same things repeatedly. People here had beer drinking games to see how many times Ferraro mentioned the same things.

Remenda was on HNIC and if he was memorable he would've made an impression.

Like I say though if you grew up with the true broadcasting greats you know these guys are nothing in comparison.

The telecast would be better with the commentating muted. Like I said just give the rink sounds option.

OF17

Dec 2, 2007
en France
I posted earlier in the thread that I don't watch Sharks broadcasts so I really don't know much about him. Somebody had posted a clip of him ripping into Ray Ratto for criticizing the Sharks when they had lost four in a row and 9 out of 26 on the road and at the time were out of a playoff spot. I thought criticisms of the team under those circumstances weren't out of line but his reaction to Ratto was. I based my opinion of him on that clip.

We have a lot of soft media in this town already who, IMO, are way too soft on this team and organization. I wasn't thrilled about the idea of adding another one. If you are saying the opposite of him is true then I'm probably going to like him. Thanks for your input.

I don't think it was so much praising the Sharks' play as it was pointing out how ridiculous saying "just go out and win" is. Well duh, of course they're trying to win. Saying "go do it" doesn't make it magically happen.

Wow. I've shaken my head at many things you've said before, but Ray Ferraro not being a good commentator? My God. Take off the nostalgia-stained glasses for a moment. I get it. There have been great color commentators. Jim Matheson in his Rod Phillips days, for one. But if you don't think that Ray Ferraro does a good job of breaking down plays, I don't know what to tell you.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
Guys, I come in peace.

Enjoy.

The bolded is quite presumptuous and ignorant. Glad to hear opinions on him, but save that crap for the main boards.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I don't think it was so much praising the Sharks' play as it was pointing out how ridiculous saying "just go out and win" is. Well duh, of course they're trying to win. Saying "go do it" doesn't make it magically happen.
Any clip I've seen the guy is all drama. Any emotion will do.

1) Mad about Ratto

2) Mad about Vancouver Canucks

3)Crying and all emo in 2006 as the Sharks get beat by the Oil.

If I want this kind of dreck I'll watch soap stories. Remenda apparently plays to lowest common denominator emotions, likes to inflame, get rabble going, and if you're a fanboy you like him for that. Looks like his shtick is to appeal to joefan in the easiest way, using emotion.

If theres any clips(and I've looked at more) of him actually adding something noteworthy lets see it.

Wow. I've shaken my head at many things you've said before, but Ray Ferraro not being a good commentator? My God. Take off the nostalgia-stained glasses for a moment. I get it. There have been great color commentators. Jim Matheson in his Rod Phillips days, for one. But if you don't think that Ray Ferraro does a good job of breaking down plays, I don't know what to tell you.

Ray Ferraro the last could years has been a broken record. Saying the same things. Plus that his ranting every game got a little old.

I used to like Ferraro. Not anymore. Just wasn't bringing any new material. Like I said he was mailing it in last couple years.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
The bolded is quite presumptuous and ignorant. Glad to hear opinions on him, but save that crap for the main boards.

That's exactly what triggered me about the post. Plus the username..

Because someone doesn't like someone they don't know hockey? lol

comes in peace lol

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
That's exactly what triggered me about the post. Plus the username..

Because someone doesn't like someone they don't know hockey? lol

comes in peace lol

I'm on the fence about Remenda, and I don't care for Ferraro. I guess I don't know a damn thing about hockey, and don't deserve to watch it to boot.

li0lsh

Mar 9, 2013
San Francisco, CA
Sharks fan here,

Drew is the kind of color guy I love; he isn't shy of being critical to those who aren't pulling their weight. He has an enormous amount of knowledge of the sport, and WILL comment on wrong/missed calls not just in favor of your team but the other as well. I think the Sharks let him go frankly because he was at times too cynical of the team. Seriously depressed he is gone, but glad to see he is somewhere where hockey is glorified.

Please treat him well. I will probably listen to Oilers' broadcasts when they play SJ now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad