Waived: Drew Miller (Clears) He got called back up today btw

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
What can Sheahan do that Miller can't do?

Be seven years younger, 40 lbs heavier, and already put up at least two seasons equal to Miller's best points wise.

I've been pessimistic on Sheahan longer than most, but Miller isn't an answer now or three years from now. Sheahan's having a horrible year production wise, but that production has been there in the past and it makes a lot more sense to keep him in the hope he finds that part of his game again than to keep Miller.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
What can Sheahan do that Miller can't do?

Right now? Seemingly not much, but we don't make roster decisions based on the now and immediate future, do we?

Sheahan is bigger, younger, and had a palatable stat line up until this season. You don't gut his value by waiving him while he is still young, has another year left on his deal, and his salary can't be buried. That's just dumb. You keep the guy that hurts you to waive and can possibly be rehabilitated.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Honestly, I'm surprised by this. Miller has been part of the cool kids club with Holland forever. Nice to see they can still move on.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
A touch sad, not for the club but because Miller has been such a staple (for good or worse). I have to think he will clear waivers. Too bad he wasn't better to stick in the NHL longer...but hey he made some good money in his career. ATB Drew.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Disagree. XO is the stud out there, yet both are better than March.

XO plays with a bit of an edge which is always overvalued IMO. Watching Evander Kane blow right past him highlighted his biggest issue: he's not a good enough skater. Jensen has everything XO has plus he can skate at a real high level.

InGusWeTrust

hockey.tk
May 6, 2009
Michigan
hockey.tk
Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
XO plays with a bit of an edge which is always overvalued IMO. Watching Evander Kane blow right past him highlighted his biggest issue: he's not a good enough skater. Jensen has everything XO has plus he can skate at a real high level.
IMO Jensen has considerably lower offensive IQ. Jensen looks skilled, but in practical terms he produces almost zero offense.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
IMO Jensen has considerably lower offensive IQ. Jensen looks skilled, but in practical terms he produces almost zero offense.

I think XO is better with the puck, but I am not sure I buy the considerably lower offensive IQ point. Neither are great offensively... Jensen because of his hands (and to a lesser extent vision) and XO because of is brutally slow feet.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

I think XO is better with the puck, but I am not sure I buy the considerably lower offensive IQ point. Neither are great offensively... Jensen because of his hands (and to a lesser extent vision) and XO because of is brutally slow feet.

They're all very meh.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I would disagree, I think it's the other way around. XO is better at everything except skating. XO is also a few years younger and it's not unthinkable that he can keep making small gains to his skating, I actually don't think he looks anywhere near as slow as he did just 1-2 years ago.

vladdy16

Aug 2, 2005
Disagree. XO is the stud out there, yet both are better than March.

Haha, I'll jump in with the 3rd of 3 possible opinions. I think Marchenko's ability to stop pucks, and move pucks is highly valuable, and works perfect with rangy guys like Dekeyser or Green. His hyper aggressive pinches can be really effective, as long as he continues to improve his spot picking. And he quietly drives more offense than most people think, often driving the net on rushes and getting back unnoticed.

When his confidence is peaking, Marchenko has also shown glimpses of good in zone offense, which hasn't been consistent enough to result in production, but he has the ability to move the puck quickly, and zip some pucks at the goalies ankles.

For what it's worth(not much) Marchenko led all russian d-men in TOI at the World Cup.

Jensen is a rookie d-man playing in his first handful of games. Historically young d-men always look great in there first handful of games, so I'm abstaining there.

Oullette I have nothing bad to say about except that he can't really skate. But he's a real gamer, and I'm looking forward to him pulling a Marchenko by coming out of nowhere to give himself a realistic shot at carving out a career as a 3-6.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad