Waived: Drew Miller (Clears) He got called back up today btw

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Haha, I'll jump in with the 3rd of 3 possible opinions. I think Marchenko's ability to stop pucks, and move pucks is highly valuable, and works perfect with rangy guys like Dekeyser or Green. His hyper aggressive pinches can be really effective, as long as he continues to improve his spot picking. And he quietly drives more offense than most people think, often driving the net on rushes and getting back unnoticed.

When his confidence is peaking, Marchenko has also shown glimpses of good in zone offense, which hasn't been consistent enough to result in production, but he has the ability to move the puck quickly, and zip some pucks at the goalies ankles.

For what it's worth(not much) Marchenko led all russian d-men in TOI at the World Cup.

I've noticed this. It's worrying to me that no one else has. It means either I'm delusional or everyone else is wrong and I tend not to bet on the latter.

I see Marchenko pinching better than most of our guys though obviously he can get better. I see him joining the play often. I see him thinking and looking for the smart pass instead of just dumping it like most of our d-men and THAT is the part I like the most. We need more possession. Maybe he's not good enough to do that but I like that he tries it at least. He seems to want to play the Russian style. I really wish he and Pavel could have had more time together.

Oct 18, 2006
Enough already, wish he got claimed. If we want to send him down again soon, is he subject to waivers?

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Jensen is better than both Marchenko and Ouellet. WRT Kronwall we all know the tie goes to the veteran.
They are about the same. But Jensen has a big problem that he is too small.
Haha, I'll jump in with the 3rd of 3 possible opinions. I think Marchenko's ability to stop pucks, and move pucks is highly valuable, and works perfect with rangy guys like Dekeyser or Green. His hyper aggressive pinches can be really effective, as long as he continues to improve his spot picking. And he quietly drives more offense than most people think, often driving the net on rushes and getting back unnoticed.

When his confidence is peaking, Marchenko has also shown glimpses of good in zone offense, which hasn't been consistent enough to result in production, but he has the ability to move the puck quickly, and zip some pucks at the goalies ankles.

For what it's worth(not much) Marchenko led all russian d-men in TOI at the World Cup.

Jensen is a rookie d-man playing in his first handful of games. Historically young d-men always look great in there first handful of games, so I'm abstaining there.

Oullette I have nothing bad to say about except that he can't really skate. But he's a real gamer, and I'm looking forward to him pulling a Marchenko by coming out of nowhere to give himself a realistic shot at carving out a career as a 3-6.

He had some nice pinches lately like Helms goal vs rangers.

Kyleftlx

twitter*****/kyle_ftl
May 9, 2010
Michigan!
I can't believe we don't have a better player in the AHL. I thought Miller was gone. ****.

This is the Red Wings we are talking about. Ken. Holland. Miller is a known quantity for the team. Blashill had praise for him when they sent him down, even. They probably feel like Abdelkader/Helm can move up the lineup, so they don't really need to call up someone that will slot into the top 6, so they bring back the guy that has been with the team all year and will do whatever they ask of him.

I can't believe people on other boards think Miller is an effective penalty killer... he's not good at anything, even that.

DeYarmond Edison

drinkingpinkrabbits
Apr 10, 2011
Bored in the USA
This is the Red Wings we are talking about. Ken. Holland. Miller is a known quantity for the team. Blashill had praise for him when they sent him down, even. They probably feel like Abdelkader/Helm can move up the lineup, so they don't really need to call up someone that will slot into the top 6, so they bring back the guy that has been with the team all year and will do whatever they ask of him.

I can't believe people on other boards think Miller is an effective penalty killer... he's not good at anything, even that.

Who do we have in the AHL that is?

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Nobody. But things like the power play (and scoring in general, for that matter) are bigger issues on this team, so I don't put much stock in the assets/age/potential combination that Drew Miller brings to the table.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
With the injuries the Wings are looking at a guy to be in the pressbox or maybe see a game or two. They probably didn't want to call someone up with the possibility they'd be sitting. Though I might have given a cup of coffee to Aubry.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
They needed a warm body with the injuries. I don't see what the big deal is. If Ott's able to play he won't even dress. He'll be right back in GR this weekend and then Vanek and Larkin will be back after the ASG.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
Now that miller knows he's the least valuable asset on the team, maybe he will be encouraged to play better

ok who am I kidding we know who he is, we've watched him for too long

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Miller get out of here, wait come back

nvrmnd.gif

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI

Tomas Nosek would replace Drew Miller. He has been pretty consistent on the PK for us in GR and he plays on our #1 PP unit and leads our team in PP points. His skating is much improved from last season and I think Detroit will give him a much better look either later this season or for sure next season as I do believe he will run out of minor league options after this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad