Drew Doughty wins 2016 Norris

Status
Not open for further replies.

KPower

Jan 17, 2012
Karlsson won the Mike Green trophy awarded to the defenseman with the most points who is a train wreck defensively.

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah
I liked how he appeared a little emotional in his acceptance speech.

He also reminds me so much of Ratigan from The Great Mouse Detective, but that's irrelevant I guess.

Yah it was an "aww" moment. He really believed he wasn't going to win it.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
It's hilarious how Karlssons always gets compared to the number 2.

Weber, Pieterangelo, Keith, Subban, Doughty. There's only ever one constant.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Karlsson will never play for a contender unless he demands a trade. He might put his team a little closer if he bothered to track back on d once in a while though.

A point a game dman who was a minus player nearly won the Norris? That's embarrassing for the league.

Lidstrom won a Norris with a minus. Such shame

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Brett Burns deserved it more then Doughty. I'm sorry but he put up better numbers offensively and was just as good on defense plus the body checks he laid out on people..

Gotta disagree here. Burns is nowhere near the same defensively as Doughty. Brent Burns is a bit of a tire fire defensively since he's such a riverboat gambler. The majority of his defensive play is backchecking as he's always up in the play.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Gotta disagree here. Burns is nowhere near the same defensively as Doughty. Brent Burns is a bit of a tire fire defensively since he's such a riverboat gambler. The majority of his defensive play is backchecking as he's always up in the play.

lol yea, people think Karlsson plays D like Burns does When it couldn't be further from the truth.

Karlsson has flaws defensively but they aren't what HF pro scouts think they are.

umma gumma

Apr 8, 2005
Karlsson will never play for a contender unless he demands a trade. He might put his team a little closer if he bothered to track back on d once in a while though.

A point a game dman who was a minus player nearly won the Norris? That's embarrassing for the league.

Karlsson won the Mike Green trophy awarded to the defenseman with the most points who is a train wreck defensively.

Karlsson is a detriment to his team winning. Finally voters get it right

Where are you Holy Racoon?

Slimmy

Jan 3, 2009
GBG
Seems people on these boards feel more strongly that Karlsson should not win than that Doughty should win.
What is it that makes Karlsson such a controversial pick for Norris? He's a damn fine defenseman and so is Doughty. Coin toss, really, who could/should win.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
It's a shame that in a thread about doughty winning the Norris, the bulk of the discussion seems to be about Karlsson vs him.

Two D that are pretty different but imo both get it done. Those trying to take away for either's accomplishments probably aren't being very honest with themselves.

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
It's a shame that in a thread about doughty winning the Norris, the bulk of the discussion seems to be about Karlsson vs him.

Two D that are pretty different but imo both get it done. Those trying to take away for either's accomplishments probably aren't being very honest with themselves.

Personally I'd love this thread to be about Drew Doughty winning the Norris. Like how the thread title is and stuff

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
The fact his team concedes more goals/60 when he is on the ice than when he isn't is a good reason.

And this is a non playoff team that he brings down defensively

You recognize that he plays half the game and is always out against the top lines, right? And you're aware of which lines the goal-scorers play on, right?

Personally I'd love this thread to be about Drew Doughty winning the Norris. Like how the thread title is and stuff

That's ironic coming from someone who brings Doughty into as many Karlsson threads as you have.

But narratives and whatnot...

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
The fact his team concedes more goals/60 when he is on the ice than when he isn't is a good reason.

And this is a non playoff team that he brings down defensively

So... when Doughty's team conceded more GA/60 when he was on the ice than they did when he was off it in the 14/15 season, you thought he was a detriment to his non-playoff team too?

Good thing you guys didn't trade him after being such a detriment. That would have been some egg on your face.

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
You recognize that he plays half the game and is always out against the top lines, right? And you're aware of which lines the goal-scorers play on, right?

That's ironic coming from someone who brings Doughty into as many Karlsson threads as you have.

But narratives and whatnot...

I bring them into Doughty vs. Karlsson threads, yes. There's a difference between "Karlsson and Doughty are going for the Norris" and "Doughty has won the Norris"

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I bring them into Doughty vs. Karlsson threads, yes. There's a difference between "Karlsson and Doughty are going for the Norris" and "Doughty has won the Norris"

To be fair, it's perfectly normal to talk about the competition in a thread about the winner. I'm just a little disappointed that more talk is about the runner up than the winner (or at least it seems that way).

It's reasonable to bring up Karlsson or Burns here. It's unreasonable to turn the thread into a flame war about how much of a travesty it is that Doughty beat Karlsson, or how much of a liability Karlsson is defensively. Sadly, one side eggs on the other (well, both sides egg on the other) and this is what we get.

congrats to Drew, heck of a season for all the finalists (as well as Letang and Hedman imo).

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
I'll be curious to see how Doughty performs defensively now that Quick is out long term. Now has to play in front of average goaltending like other Norris candidates somewhat evening the field.

Sureves

Sep 29, 2008
Ottawa
I'll be curious to see how Doughty performs defensively now that Quick is out long term. Now has to play in front of average goaltending like other Norris candidates somewhat evening the field.

It's 4 games into the season, and I'm already ready to say I will be blown away if Karlsson does not win the Norris.

4GP 2G 5A 7P +6 0PIM

Playing very strong defensively and actually looks like he has his pre-slice speed and agility back.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
It's 4 games into the season, and I'm already ready to say I will be blown away if he does not win the Norris.

4GP 2G 5A 7P +6 0PIM

Playing very strong defensively and actually looks like he has his pre-slice speed and agility back.

Excellent on the PK as well

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010

So far, the Kings have been scored on a lot when Drew is off the ice.

That tells me something.

It's comical, I bet certain fans are also the first to say how overrated Quick is.

Sureves

Sep 29, 2008
Ottawa
Excellent on the PK as well

Absolutely, he has been a tremendous penalty killer, but Sens fans always knew he was, just wasn't utilized in that way.

It seems Boucher prefers him to spend half of each PK on the ice and half of each PP on the ice instead of no PK and the full PP.

I see pros and cons to both, but he's been phenomenal on the PK so far so I can't exactly complain.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
It's 4 games into the season, and I'm already ready to say I will be blown away if Karlsson does not win the Norris.

4GP 2G 5A 7P +6 0PIM

Its a shame hes stuck on a team that seems a bit stuck in second gear. On the other hand, I am in no way shocked that he thrives with Guy Boucher. He is exactly what Guy likes and wants.

Sureves

Sep 29, 2008
Ottawa
It's 5% into the season and Karlsson has already accumulated 14% of Doughty's total points from last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad