Rumor: Dreger - Teams preparing to offer sheet Leafs' Marner PTII

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
Actually he’s confirming what we all assumed. Especially this season with all the RFAs on teams with potential cap issues it’s nice to know management will use the tools available.

Actually its just common sense, whether a talking head says so or not.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
If the Leafs offer him 7 million and someone else offers him 10 million do you think that childhood interview will sway him?
They play for money and if the Leafs think they can play on his heart strings they’ll be making a mistake.

Nah. Marner wants the legacy of being a Leaf with success. His family also happens to live in Toronto. No way he turns his back on Toronto and puts his family through a bad breakup with the Leafs. His agent will pretend leaving by signing an offer sheet is an option, but he’s not fooling anyone.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
The San Jose Sharks are reported by reputable people to have offered Tavares a 7 year $91 million dollar deal which would have made him the highest paid player in the league at 13 million per. Instead he came home for a 7 year $77 million dollar deal that see's him paid 11 million per.

JT left $14 million on the table to come home.

I say again, do not underestimate the allure of hometown kids fulfilling their dreams and playing at home.

John Tavares overwhelmingly proved this theory this past summer. Now as much as it might bring you joy to believe that Marner would hop on the next plane out of town for a measly 3 million you're off your rocker, no offence, especially a team that is already full of young talent.

Case closed.

A 27 yr old with 60 million in the bank.

A young 22 yr old may not think the same way even though it’s a measly 3 million would he be willing to leave 18 million over 6 years. He may, but I doubt it.

Bottom line, I assume the Leafs will get him signed befor July and it won’t matter. Still, they won’t want to put themselves in any situation to test those waters.

Reactions: AreBe

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Nah. Marner wants the legacy of being a Leaf with success. His family also happens to live in Toronto. No way he turns his back on Toronto and puts his family through a bad breakup with the Leafs. His agent will pretend leaving by signing an offer sheet is an option, but he’s not fooling anyone.

I wonder why he's waiting to sign! Seems like a no brainer to to sign the Nylander contract.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Do the teams that are planning to offersheet Marner have the $20 to $25 million to pay him for the signing bonuses in the first couple of years in the contract that his agent/Marner will surely demand?

Inquisitive minds want to know.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Not if they sign an OS

I was speaking mainly to the offer sheet as outlined by the poster, which was very conservative and could be jumped on quite easily. That OS would actually work in the Leafs favour. Keep in mind that anytime an offer sheet has been proffered it is usually for the full 7 years and for a crazy amount of money
What can a team do about an offer sheet on their RFA?
Assuming the player accepts the offer sheet, the team has two options. They have 7 days to make their choice.
The first option is to exercise their "Right of First Refusal". This means that they match the salary, term, signing bonus and reporting bonus of the offer sheet, and the player is considered signed. Additional terms such as no trade/no move clauses or performance bonuses are NOT included, but they can be negotiated separately. If a team exercises this right, they cannot trade the player for one year (to the day).
The second option is to let the player walk, and collect their compensation from the team that submitted the offer sheet.

as you can see by the rules there is nothing in them to say that the team that holds the players rights can't up the offer especially if it's lowballed, what you may be thinking is that the team has to at least match to retain the player

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
I said this about Matthews but it applies the same for Marner. I am zero percent concerned if he signs an offer sheet.

We get 4x 1st rd picks and free up cap space to target some of the marquis free agents.

Would anyone be sad to see Marner go for, as an example, 4x 1sts and Karlsson/Panarin?

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I said this about Matthews but it applies the same for Marner. I am zero percent concerned if he signs an offer sheet.

We get 4x 1st rd picks and free up cap space to target some of the marquis free agents.

Would anyone be sad to see Marner go for, as an example, 4x 1sts and Karlsson/Panarin?

I wouldn’t be sad to see anyone cash in big. Especially Matthews, I really like his story.

But Panarin or Karlsson will likely be signed either on or before July 1st.

donkshow

Aug 19, 2007
Anything that has leaked out is coming from the Matthews and Marner camps with regards to contracts.

The Leafs brass wouldn't leak anything. Matthews/Marner's agents want to drum up interest and put pressure on the Leafs management team to sign them to these expensive deals. But if M&M's comments about wanting to stay here, win here, keep the core together, they are going to need to bring their asking prices down a bit to actually keep the core together.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017

This is my point exactly. I personally do not see Marner signing an OS. He's from Toronto, he's an icon and hero here. Look at what he did last night at the game for that kid. But if he does sign one, you let him walk as an organization. Not worth it.

Take 4 1st Round Picks, use them or trade them for more assets, use cap space to fix team in other areas instead of on a 10 million a season winger.

Do you know what the Leafs can get for 10 million?

At least 1 good winger, and 1 solid dman to add to what we have already. But wait.....don't forget we still have 4 additional 1st Rounders on top of ours the next 4 years. We say thank you and run....we have just doubled our window to Stanley Cups just because of an OS being signed.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I'm a huge Marner fan and would be sad if he left.

If it happened, it probably works our well for us in the long run as many have pointed out so zero need to panic.

Marner loves Toronto and I don't think he'd sign an offer sheet as long as he gets a decent offer from the Leafs (which he will).

I know everyone loves Marner but it's embarrassing that a thread based on a Dreger rumour is still on page 1, this sucker deserves to die.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Anything that has leaked out is coming from the Matthews and Marner camps with regards to contracts.

The Leafs brass wouldn't leak anything. Matthews/Marner's agents want to drum up interest and put pressure on the Leafs management team to sign them to these expensive deals. But if M&M's comments about wanting to stay here, win here, keep the core together, they are going to need to bring their asking prices down a bit to actually keep the core together.

I was thinking after MacKenzie came out with his Leafs cap scenario last night that perhaps the Leafs are leaking information to show the fans how tight it is, hoping to gain their support, and putting pressure on, Marner.
If Matthews signs for 11 million, Marner will have to take less than 10 or it probably won’t work.

thunder16

Nov 18, 2017

No loyalty by some of you, whatever happened to draft and develop our own players especially the home town boys. I don't want the 4 1st or Karlsson or Panarin or anyone else . I want to keep Marner I didn't cry tears of joy when they drafted Marner for nothing. Too many of you worry about money that doesn't affect your life in any way and I'll never understand that........It's not your money so lets keep our best players. End of story.

PS what would I do with My Marner shirt? It's the only Leaf sweater I have ever put a name on it and I have 6 of them.
What happens if all 4 picks turn out to be busts?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad