Dreger says Tallon Safe.....for now

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
i don't see any need to have a 5'10 172lbs concussed player to immediately come up i can't fathom, if we did draft konecny, bringing him up immediately. its unnecessary, especially with the kids size and coming off a concussion.
My mistake, he passed the concussion test.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
I think Tallon should stay away from the trade market altogether for top six. I have not been impressed with Sharp this year and anyone else would command this years 1st pick or next years. Even though he is small, if either Meier or Rantanen are gone then Konecny is NHL ready. He just needs to be reminded he is in the NHL and cannot play this physical game that he is noted for. He needs to be much more selective and pick his spots where he wants to play the gritty style. In other words, don't put yourself out there for noted head hunters to end your career.

That said, I don't think anyone has to worry about Tallon taking a dman. His future is at stake with this pick and he has no choice but to take an NHL ready winger.

There's no way Konecny is NHL ready with that size. The odds are highly against it.

CanadianPantherFan

Cats are Here!
Jun 6, 2004
Calgary
It's interesting that Tallon did a lot to build up the Blackhawks team that's now constantly in contender position, but was fired just as the team started doing well, and consequently others took a lot of the credit. Will it be a repeat performance in Florida? Is the time period required to do a rebuild (5 years or so) just a bit too long by a year or two? That's my read, with the added complication in Florida that the additional couple of pieces required (the Hossa type FA's) won't sign until the team is already much better. Although, in that light, the importance of the Jagr signing is just immense. He's able to make the top line better, and provide the work ethic and intangibles, perhaps leading to an earlier than expected other significant signing. Of course, Luongo and Mitchell help in that regard as well.

If there's more turmoil starting with the draft, I agree that Tallon has a year max. But if all goes well, including playoffs the next few years, Tallon may be here another five years.

Good post. Comment more often please.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
It's interesting that Tallon did a lot to build up the Blackhawks team that's now constantly in contender position, but was fired just as the team started doing well, and consequently others took a lot of the credit. Will it be a repeat performance in Florida? Is the time period required to do a rebuild (5 years or so) just a bit too long by a year or two? That's my read, with the added complication in Florida that the additional couple of pieces required (the Hossa type FA's) won't sign until the team is already much better. Although, in that light, the importance of the Jagr signing is just immense. He's able to make the top line better, and provide the work ethic and intangibles, perhaps leading to an earlier than expected other significant signing. Of course, Luongo and Mitchell help in that regard as well.

If there's more turmoil starting with the draft, I agree that Tallon has a year max. But if all goes well, including playoffs the next few years, Tallon may be here another five years.
I read something interesting yesterday that I wasn't aware of. Someone commented that Tallon was fired because he failed to offer the RFA contracts prior to the deadline and they actually had to pay UFA prices instead of RFA, which helped put their CAP under water. I was under the impression that the agents for all the players gave Tallon a pass and signed for RFA $$$. MMmmmm.

There's no way Konecny is NHL ready with that size. The odds are highly against it.
Well with "Dick" Button having him at #33, you may be right.

It's against all odds, but it's the chance I'll have to take.............luv that song.:nod:

Last edited by a moderator:

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
I read something interesting yesterday that I wasn't aware of. Someone commented that Tallon was fired because he failed to offer the RFA contracts prior to the deadline and they actually had to pay UFA prices instead of RFA, which helped put their CAP under water. I was under the impression that the agents for all the players gave Tallon a pass and signed for RFA $$$. MMmmmm.

Traditionally, thats a responsibility handled by the Assistant GM, not the GM himself. Hawks upper management wanted Stan Bowman in as GM, and it was going to happen no matter what Tallon did or didn't do.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
It's interesting that Tallon did a lot to build up the Blackhawks team that's now constantly in contender position, but was fired just as the team started doing well, and consequently others took a lot of the credit.

If Tallon is fired from Florida after next season it will be for completely different reasons than in Chicago though.

BeezKnees

Jun 4, 2010
Orlando, FL
Tallon's done a great job and I don't think he deserves to be fired, even if we miss the playoffs next year. We need a top-6 sniper that just isn't available this off-season, unless we want to gut our core. Sharp may or may not be good enough to put us over the edge (I think he will be).

But if he's not ....and we don't make the playoffs due to lack of scoring again, I'd commend Tallon for not making a desperation move. I've often heard that the moves you don't make are just as important as the ones you do.

KittysGotClaws

We See Red
Dec 17, 2008
N of BB&T
Tallon's done a great job and I don't think he deserves to be fired, even if we miss the playoffs next year. We need a top-6 sniper that just isn't available this off-season, unless we want to gut our core. Sharp may or may not be good enough to put us over the edge (I think he will be).

But if he's not ....and we don't make the playoffs due to lack of scoring again, I'd commend Tallon for not making a desperation move. I've often heard that the moves you don't make are just as important as the ones you do.

I disagree. Kessel's availability is the rare opportunity people dream of (to add a top line sniper). I also think we could swing it without gutting our core. We'll have to give up something of value, for sure, but our ideal need is just sitting there, honestly.

BeezKnees

Jun 4, 2010
Orlando, FL
I disagree. Kessel's availability is the rare opportunity people dream of (to add a top line sniper). I also think we could swing it without gutting our core. We'll have to give up something of value, for sure, but our ideal need is just sitting there, honestly.

Especially with the recent coaching hire, I highly doubt they're moving Kessel anymore.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013

Except there are players who are available via trade or even free agency who won't gut the core, and not addressing the one need the team has should not be commended. It is disaster if the Panthers miss the playoffs again. Seriously. No Mitchell, no Campbell, Luo another year older etc.

Acadmus

pastured mod
Jul 22, 2003
Vermont
Pretty ridiculous article from someone not even kind of connected to the team. The last line is pure gold - 'if Tallon can make the team better he will' DUUUUH.

Yah...and frankly, it's not deniable he's MADE the team better. Yeah, there's peaks and valleys associated with the free agent choices, but let's face facts, last year's abysmal season happened because Tallon's hands were tied because the team was up for sale again, and then the new ownership came in and untied his hands. He made just one big mistake in free agency (glaring, but still...) and the team most likely dropped 7 points out of the playoff picture due to the loss of their #1 center and top scorer. But he had the guts to take a flyer on Jagr which paid off big time by salvaging Barkov and Huberdeau before their confidence took too big a hit.

I won't say Tallon's perfect or even necessarily close to it...but he's done a lot of the right things - patience with youth, but also making sure there's a coach that'll give them their chances, gathering tons of prospect depth by dealing semi-valuable veterans for draft picks the first couple of seasons, and seemingly being pretty smart in the draft (yeah, it's mainly our head scout's call, but that wasn't usually the case in the past and look at the crap players that got drafted). And the team that made the playoffs a few years ago then missed by a mile for two season after was a contender for a spot all season this year and promising - with more depth at nearly every position in the organization - to finally reach the playoffs next season.

IF...and I consider it a big IF...the Panthers don't make the playoffs next season, we have to start thinking he was the right man to build, but can't get the team over the hump. But I don't think that's going to happen. The core has another year of experience under their belts AND another year of playing together. And that's another thing Tallon's done, he's kept a sizeable core group together thus far with no knee-jerk trades when a young guy slumps a little. The way things went in the past, Huberdeau would have been dealt before January the way he was playing, and Barkov would likely have gone sometime next season. Instead, Tallon acquired a highly skilled veteran forward to play with them and help them pick up their game. Some of that decision is ownership opening the purse, some of it is Tallon being patient with guys HE selected in the draft. There'll be a little change in the veteran leadership through free agency, but the young guys from San Antonio (this coming season Portland) will have their chances to earn spots, too. The Panthers have several promising forwards and at least one promising defenseman in the minors right now that can certainly use some seasoning but seem game to give some good effort in the big league too. Goaltending's a little thin, though we saw one backup we all considered washed up making a big turnaround this season when he had to, giving the Panthers a little more depth at that position. All told, I would predict an injury to Bjugstad, for instance, would not impact the team as substantially as it did this season, and this season it impacted the team less than it would have the season before.

After years of bleak prospects, I have to admit I finally consider next season to be something to REALLY be optimistic about for the Panthers.

BeezKnees

Jun 4, 2010
Orlando, FL
Except there are players who are available via trade or even free agency who won't gut the core, and not addressing the one need the team has should not be commended. It is disaster if the Panthers miss the playoffs again. Seriously. No Mitchell, no Campbell, Luo another year older etc.

Don't get me wrong, I'm on board to trade for somebody as long as the core isn't involved (loved the Jagr/ Pirri moves to add offense). If he can pull that kind of magic again, it'd be awesome.

It's the Kessels of the world that I'd consider desperation win-now moves that will be awesome short-term but sacrificing the future (since we'd likely have to move a Huberdeau/ Bjugstad to make that possible). I suppose that's where the disagreement stems from. Some think he'd be much cheaper, but I think that's a daydream.

I really do understand the allure of wanting to win while we still have Lu, Mitchell, Jagr, etc. But if you're looking at our cup window like that, then we realistically only have 2 years at most to be a cup contender. If we look at the big picture and prepare for the longhaul (life after those guys) our cup window will be perennial for a decade.

Edit: Back to my original point though, timing is everything. This is not a great FA year for our top 6 hole. Instead of making a stupid move to make the playoffs, I'd call Tallon smart for holding his cards for one more year when the UFA class is so much better. It'd be the smarter move.

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
I happen to disagree. This is not your normal draft where the first two guys and maybe one other might make it in the top ten. I think it's possible 5 to 7 of the first 15 will stick for the season.

I'm not saying if we choose one of them they won't be sent back where they came from. That all depends on what Tallon does with trades or UFA. But if he leaves things as they are presently, whoever he drafts should be someone that is good enough to stick with the big club at the wing ahead of anything we have in the AHL. As I've said, our depth is weak in the top six, and no one who played the majority of the season at the AHL is even remotely close to any of the three guys I mentioned. The only guy I feel a little unsure of is Rantanen, but only because he may need time to adjust to the small rink. His size, skill, and hockey IQ will make the adjustment much easier.

For those that think Konecny needs time to marinate more in juniors just think about it for a minute. The only reason this guy goes back is to mature physically. He is as solid a two way player that you'll find in the draft. He is presently a hair under 5'10"/172 and probably comes to camp at 180. He did miss 8 games at the end of the season as his arm was in a sling from a hit against the boards. At the beginning of the season in Oct he was felled with a vicious hit to the head where the player received a 12 game suspension. Miraculously he somehow passed the concussion test. The same can be said for Rau who hasn't grown an inch since he started college, but put on 10 lbs. Rau has played the same physical style and kept his health all 4 years as a Gopher. If you are smart, which Konecny is, then you can take the next step to the NHL right away if you have the speed, skill, shot, tenacity, and hockey IQ. His coach for the 67's advised him at the beginning of the season when he had only 1 goal in 11 games to focus on his strengths which are speed/shot instead of all the fancy stick work and dangling.... it worked. As someone mentioned earlier, he is a slightly smaller version of Sam Bennett.

Sorry but Grimaldi howden brickley trocheck maybe even rau and hawryluk r all more nhl ready than konecny and basically everyone else that will be available at 11 except maybe rantanen who I don't know much about.. there is almost 0 chance whoever we pick will be in the nhl next year reguardless of what Tallon does in the offseason

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Sorry but Grimaldi howden brickley trocheck maybe even rau and hawryluk r all more nhl ready than konecny and basically everyone else that will be available at 11 except maybe rantanen who I don't know much about.. there is almost 0 chance whoever we pick will be in the nhl next year reguardless of what Tallon does in the offseason
You don't have to apologize.

Couturier 8, Skinner 7, Fowler 14, Nichuskin 10, and Pastrnak 25 are all guys who were taken 7 or later who played in the NHL following their draft. In this draft you can add 3 or more to those numbers because it is much deeper than the draft year for those players. All of those above were physically ready to compete except for Pastrnak, who made a splash after being brought up from Providence.

In any case you are right that most teams will take the conservative route with their first year prospects unless they shine at camp and their is a hole to fill in the lineup. To arbitrarily state that Konecny or anyone we choose including Meier or Rantanen has a 0 chance of playing in the NHL in their draft year is shallow and presumptuous. No one knows, including you how these players will perform at camp and what needs the various teams will have at that time. I would suggest you keep an open mind until all is said and done.

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
You don't have to apologize.

Couturier 8, Skinner 7, Fowler 14, Nichuskin 10, and Pastrnak 25 are all guys who were taken 7 or later who played in the NHL following their draft. In this draft you can add 3 or more to those numbers because it is much deeper than the draft year for those players. All of those above were physically ready to compete except for Pastrnak, who made a splash after being brought up from Providence.

In any case you are right that most teams will take the conservative route with their first year prospects unless they shine at camp and their is a hole to fill in the lineup. To arbitrarily state that Konecny or anyone we choose including Meier or Rantanen has a 0 chance of playing in the NHL in their draft year is shallow and presumptuous. No one knows, including you how these players will perform at camp and what needs the various teams will have at that time. I would suggest you keep an open mind until all is said and done.

I said almost 0 chance which I think Is accurate.. if one of them light it up and make the team that's great but they wpukd have to absolutely tear It up to consider burning a year off their elc when we have solid prospects on the farm that have paid their dues and know what playing a year of pro hockey is like... even if the player does tear it up u have no way of knowing how hell handle the grind of an nhl scheduLe which makes It even more unlikely he will still make the bug club

CatscratchFever

#CatsAreComing
Dec 11, 2002
O-hi-O
Visit site
Like it or not, DT has to make it come together this season or he's toast, and rightfully so. Goalscoring is still a huge problem. By hook or crook, he better find some solutions because "internal improvement" will get him smoked. There's no Toews and Kane here, and the sooner he realizes it, the better.

Egblad

Patiently Waiting
May 20, 2006
Florida
Like it or not, DT has to make it come together this season or he's toast, and rightfully so. Goalscoring is still a huge problem. By hook or crook, he better find some solutions because "internal improvement" will get him smoked. There's no Toews and Kane here, and the sooner he realizes it, the better.

You're exactly right. Honestly, he has to make a trade for goalscoring at the draft. I don't think there is really any other way around it. Even if we do draft somebody like Ratanen or Meier, I don't think that it would be wise to go into the season hoping one of them will provide the necessary goal scoring we've been looking for. Signing someone like Belesky to an insane contract won't help either -- it has to be through trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad