Dreger says Tallon Safe.....for now

Drugs Delaney

Peace be with you.
Jan 31, 2013
Colorado
All these fans not too happy with Tallon, be careful what you wish for. This thing could go in the toilet real quick. You're tired of waiting on this team, how about going back to the days of Keenan and guys like that, no direction for this franchise? I don't know why people think it can only get better if Tallon is gone. It can get a whole lot worse too.
And that's just one element, what if these are the type of owners who think they need to be making hockey decisions, do you want Jeffrey Loria running this franchise? Tallon might be the only thing standing in between that.
And OP, that Kessel rumor is about your own personal opinion, maybe you shouldn't include that in your post. Especially since all we've heard is Tallon is not trading young core pieces, which is what Toronto probably wants for Kessel.

I can't have a problem with Tallon being on the hot seat. He's had some years at the helm and like it or not he's the guy that takes the fall for not delivering. He's stocked the cupboard with talent for sure. It would be sad to see him go but that's the business he's in. It could turn gongshow pretty quickly like you said but it could also be a great move. I have to trust that the ownership will make the right move. They have shown the willingness to spend the money. They deserved to be rewarded for their investments.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
I don't want Tallon gone now. I want him gone at the end of the year if they miss the playoffs. he has had enough time to turn it around, and everyone here knows what's needed for this team to take the next step (another scorer) if nothing is done and they miss, he's gone and he deserves it.

I don't really see a Loria comparison, this is Tallon's 3rd year with new ownership. For a GM that they didn't hire that is a long leash.
Well, what if we have some injuries next season to key players? What if we make a trade for a top 6 winger that kills our depth and then we get injuries to key players, what if we make a trade for a top 6 winger that kills our depth and then we get an injury to that top 6 winger we just traded for? Things are not black and white, cut and dry, and that includes this next season for Tallon's job.

Drugs Delaney

Peace be with you.
Jan 31, 2013
Colorado
It's as if these "insiders" are there for every conversation between Tallon and co(or any GM/Owner). What if DT came out of that meeting, with heart burn and looked discombobulated, because he also got too much sun the day before and his suede shirt and gold chain was rubbing on his sun burn, thus giving him a disgruntled look on his face as if he came from a bad meeting?????

I used to get information years back from former high ups. All the grumbling mostly. That's what happens when you meet with your boy for some rounds of beers. Insiders are everywhere!!! Hide your life!!!

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
I can't have a problem with Tallon being on the hot seat. He's had some years at the helm and like it or not he's the guy that takes the fall for not delivering. He's stocked the cupboard with talent for sure. It would be sad to see him go but that's the business he's in. It could turn gongshow pretty quickly like you said but it could also be a great move. I have to trust that the ownership will make the right move. They have shown the willingness to spend the money. They deserved to be rewarded for their investments.
Like I just addressed above.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Well, what if we have some injuries next season to key players? What if we make a trade for a top 6 winger that kills our depth and then we get injuries to key players, what if we make a trade for a top 6 winger that kills our depth and then we get an injury to that top 6 winger we just traded for? Things are not black and white, cut and dry, and that includes this next season for Tallon's job.

The injuries thing isn't an excuse, every team has them, unless the Panthers have Columbus like problems then it's not an excuse, but I really doubt that they will have that many problems. Again with potential trading partners against the cap no trade will involve NHL depth and there's also free agency. It's fairly cut and dry to me. He's had 6 years and in a league where over half the teams make the playoffs every year one appearance is not acceptable.

Things are actually fairly black and white for the Panthers next year. As constructed, they are an 87-97 point team that is good defensively and will struggle to score. Pretty straightforward.

Gaebriel

Jan 17, 2004
DC
If you take every player either under contract or with RFA status (12 forwards / 7 defensemen), assume that every single player under 30 is going to have a career year in goals and assume that every player over 30 will at least score as many goals as they did last year, you come up with 214 goals or 2.61 goals per game good enough for 20th in the league.

Teams that made the playoffs this year scored an average of 2.83 goals per game. 16 of the top 20 scoring teams made the playoffs (Dallas, Columbus, San Jose, and LA were the teams that missed). In order to reach 2.83 goals per game Florida still needs to find another 18 goals in the two remaining forward roster spots, assuming every player under 30 has their career year.

Bjugstad: 25
Pirri: 23
Bolland: 20
Hayes: 20
Barkov: 17
Huberdeau: 16
Trocheck: 8
-
Jagr: 17
Boyes: 14
Jokinen: 8
Mackenzie: 5
Thornton: 1

Total: 174
-----------

Ekblad: 13
Kulikov: 9
Kampfer: 6
Gudbranson: 5
Petrovic: 1
-
Mitchell: 3
Campbell: 3

Total: 40

Last edited:

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
bolland most likely isnt sniffing 20 goals. he's way too injury prone and even if he did stay relatively healthy or even play all 82 he still won't put up that much on the 3rd line. and hayes isnt hitting 20 either, he won't be in a top-6 role anymore. if he plays full time on the 3rd he might get 11 or 12 imo.
barkov, with that line and being encouraged to shoot more, with his shot, i hope he can get 20-22. huberdeau anymore from 17-20 is my guess. jagr should break 20. bjugstad 24-27 and pirri if playing full time on the 2nd line and getting top pp time like he was this last season i think about 24-29. those are my guesses at least.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Dreger full of bs as usual, trying to get Nonis a job
Seriously, it's so obvious. :laugh:

And I wouldn't trust his "rumblings" either, Dreger is the master of insiders making something out of nothing these days.

You know, I don't mind doing it once which I did when I made this claim a few months ago but to do it a second time is a PITA when someone can easily google it:

http://www.nj.com/flyers/index.ssf/2015/03/why_flyers_vincent_lecavalier_is_tradable_and_why.html
So..

Lecavalier, who was basically a washed up cap dump already last offseason.
B. Schenn, a former #5 overall that hasn't even come close to meetings those expectations, also another center that we have enough already.
2014 First, 17th overall.
2015 First, 7th overall, no way of knowing where this pick is going to end up, Flyers had made the playoffs the year before.

This "reporter" has been properly punk'd, this is like something straight from the trade board. Who knows, maybe Tallon proposed the deal to Viola just to get some good laughs and the Flyers side interpreted it as that it was close to a done trade.

Last edited:

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
The injuries thing isn't an excuse, every team has them, unless the Panthers have Columbus like problems then it's not an excuse, but I really doubt that they will have that many problems. Again with potential trading partners against the cap no trade will involve NHL depth and there's also free agency. It's fairly cut and dry to me. He's had 6 years and in a league where over half the teams make the playoffs every year one appearance is not acceptable.

Things are actually fairly black and white for the Panthers next year. As constructed, they are an 87-97 point team that is good defensively and will struggle to score. Pretty straightforward.
Nothing is ever black and white in life, so it's definitely not like that for the Panthers as well. That may be the way you feel about things but that's not the reality of the situation or any situation.
You can go with the philosophy, but it won't lead to much success. If the Panthers take that kind of stance when running this organization, we're going no where as far as success goes.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Seriously, it's so obvious. :laugh:

And I wouldn't trust his "rumblings" either, Dreger is the master of insiders making something out of nothing these days.

So..

Lecavalier, who was basically a washed up cap dump already last offseason.
B. Schenn, a former #5 overall that hasn't even come close to meetings those expectations, also another center that we have enough already.
2014 First, 17th overall.
2015 First, 7th overall, no way of knowing where this pick is going to end up, Flyers had made the playoffs the year before.

This "reporter" has been properly punk'd, this is like something straight from the trade board. Who knows, maybe Tallon proposed the deal to Viola just to get some good laughs and the Flyers side interpreted it as that it was close to a done trade.

So?............So let's dance.

Most insider here say dribbles down from bar talk that can be embellished six ways from Larado when it reaches the press. It makes for good discussion as some of it is inevitably surrounded by truths. Tallon supposedly wanted lottery protection on the 2015 and Philly refused, but who knows what was finally presented to Viola for his input. Vinnie's agent says he would probably retire at some point on the remainder of his contract but I find that hard to believe as one thing you can count on is Lecavalier is all about the $$$$.

More insider scoops said the only thing that held up the Kessel trade to the Cats was the fact that Toronto was requesting Huberdeau or Matheson along with our first this year. Tallon supposedly refused to part with our young guys. Again, who knows how much of this is truth or nonsense. It makes for fun discussion.

iam76

Sep 30, 2011
Connecticut
this is dumb... sorry... Panthers stay the course. We really made huge strides this season. The deal is now to improve more. This article and thread is like from the future where we end of doing worse in the 2015/2016 campaign.. But guess what.. while other teams age and exit their primes we are entering ours.. I like our chances.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Nothing is ever black and white in life, so it's definitely not like that for the Panthers as well. That may be the way you feel about things but that's not the reality of the situation or any situation.
You can go with the philosophy, but it won't lead to much success. If the Panthers take that kind of stance when running this organization, we're going no where as far as success goes.

What philosophy? Looking at statistics and projections to make an accurate analysis? Team can't score. Teams that don't score don't make the playoffs. Gabriel's chart is good. Every Panther has to produce a career high in goals just so Florida can reach 20th in GF. If you think goal scoring won't be a problem and Tallon doesn't need to address it, that's fair. But if he doesn't and they miss the playoffs he deserves the firing he gets, because he did not address the team's problems.

IM Clutcm

Jun 20, 2014
Miami, FL
What philosophy? Looking at statistics and projections to make an accurate analysis? Team can't score. Teams that don't score don't make the playoffs. Gabriel's chart is good. Every Panther has to produce a career high in goals just so Florida can reach 20th in GF. If you think goal scoring won't be a problem and Tallon doesn't need to address it, that's fair. But if he doesn't and they miss the playoffs he deserves the firing he gets, because he did not address the team's problems.

It's a bit skewed, though, as it's extremely unlikely that Barkov, Bjugstad, Pirri, and Huberdeau have already peaked and won't score more than 17, 25, 22, and 16 goals, respectively. A full season with Jagr should get Barkov and Huberdeau at least 20, Bjugstad was on pace for 30 before the back injury, and Pirri should get more ice time this year and hopefully that leads to more goals. I'm not saying it's a sure thing, and I know a lot of people are wary of relying on internal improvement year-to-year, but the youth should finally start producing like stars this coming season.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
It's interesting that Tallon did a lot to build up the Blackhawks team that's now constantly in contender position, but was fired just as the team started doing well, and consequently others took a lot of the credit. Will it be a repeat performance in Florida? Is the time period required to do a rebuild (5 years or so) just a bit too long by a year or two? That's my read, with the added complication in Florida that the additional couple of pieces required (the Hossa type FA's) won't sign until the team is already much better. Although, in that light, the importance of the Jagr signing is just immense. He's able to make the top line better, and provide the work ethic and intangibles, perhaps leading to an earlier than expected other significant signing. Of course, Luongo and Mitchell help in that regard as well.

If there's more turmoil starting with the draft, I agree that Tallon has a year max. But if all goes well, including playoffs the next few years, Tallon may be here another five years.

Drugs Delaney

Peace be with you.
Jan 31, 2013
Colorado
It's interesting that Tallon did a lot to build up the Blackhawks team that's now constantly in contender position, but was fired just as the team started doing well, and consequently others took a lot of the credit. Will it be a repeat performance in Florida? Is the time period required to do a rebuild (5 years or so) just a bit too long by a year or two? That's my read, with the added complication in Florida that the additional couple of pieces required (the Hossa type FA's) won't sign until the team is already much better. Although, in that light, the importance of the Jagr signing is just immense. He's able to make the top line better, and provide the work ethic and intangibles, perhaps leading to an earlier than expected other significant signing. Of course, Luongo and Mitchell help in that regard as well.

If there's more turmoil starting with the draft, I agree that Tallon has a year max. But if all goes well, including playoffs the next few years, Tallon may be here another five years.

This is a good post. I think that GM's in most team sports get five years or at least it seems that way. No matter what happens I think that most Panthers fans can give DT the credit he deserves for building a good foundation moving forward.

Juggernaut27

#CatsHasCupNow?
Apr 29, 2014
Vancouver
Yeah, Tallon had put together the deal to trade the #1 pick in exchange for Brayden Schenn, Lecavalier, and the Flyers #1 in 2014 and 2015. Cifu and Viola nixed the deal, thank god.

Not what that article says at all.

I know Cifu has said that Kessel is a no go, and yes it's just my opinion on whether Dale would want Kessel. I just have this feeling as he and Nonis think alike, ala the bidding war for Bolland.

All I heard Cifu say is that Hubby for Kessel is not happening.

Verified link for this?

Just a verified link to pure speculation.

You know, I don't mind doing it once which I did when I made this claim a few months ago but to do it a second time is a PITA when someone can easily google it:

http://www.nj.com/flyers/index.ssf/2015/03/why_flyers_vincent_lecavalier_is_tradable_and_why.html

In that article he quotes an unnamed source saying Panthers Ownership nixed a deal. He also states another source says Philly killed it?

Might prevent the PITA if you don't misquote.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Not what that article says at all.

All I heard Cifu say is that Hubby for Kessel is not happening.

Just a verified link to pure speculation.

In that article he quotes an unnamed source saying Panthers Ownership nixed a deal. He also states another source says Philly killed it?

Might prevent the PITA if you don't misquote.
Nobody's perfect. I guess my credibility is shot.:naughty:

Last edited by a moderator:

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
I think Tallon should stay away from the trade market altogether for top six. I have not been impressed with Sharp this year and anyone else would command this years 1st pick or next years. Even though he is small, if either Meier or Rantanen are gone then Konecny is NHL ready. He just needs to be reminded he is in the NHL and cannot play this physical game that he is noted for. He needs to be much more selective and pick his spots where he wants to play the gritty style. In other words, don't put yourself out there for noted head hunters to end your career.

That said, I don't think anyone has to worry about Tallon taking a dman. His future is at stake with this pick and he has no choice but to take an NHL ready winger.

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
I think Tallon should stay away from the trade market altogether for top six. I have not been impressed with Sharp this year and anyone else would command this years 1st pick or next years. Even though he is small, if either Meier or Rantanen are gone then Konecny is NHL ready. He just needs to be reminded he is in the NHL and cannot play this physical game that he is noted for. He needs to be much more selective and pick his spots where he wants to play the gritty style. In other words, don't put yourself out there for noted head hunters to end your career.

That said, I don't think anyone has to worry about Tallon taking a dman. His future is at stake with this pick and he has no choice but to take an NHL ready winger.

So basically he Isn't nhl ready then.. completely changing his game while adjusting to the nhl? Not a good idea... I don't see anyone at 11 being ready right away except maybe rantanen but I am not familiar with him... we have prospects in the ahl that r more ready for nhl than anone we will take at 11... we r long passed rushing of prospects and I would hope whoever we take at 11 can play a year in the ahl at least before making the jump

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
So basically he Isn't nhl ready then.. completely changing his game while adjusting to the nhl? Not a good idea... I don't see anyone at 11 being ready right away except maybe rantanen but I am not familiar with him... we have prospects in the ahl that r more ready for nhl than anone we will take at 11... we r long passed rushing of prospects and I would hope whoever we take at 11 can play a year in the ahl at least before making the jump
I happen to disagree. This is not your normal draft where the first two guys and maybe one other might make it in the top ten. I think it's possible 5 to 7 of the first 15 will stick for the season.

I'm not saying if we choose one of them they won't be sent back where they came from. That all depends on what Tallon does with trades or UFA. But if he leaves things as they are presently, whoever he drafts should be someone that is good enough to stick with the big club at the wing ahead of anything we have in the AHL. As I've said, our depth is weak in the top six, and no one who played the majority of the season at the AHL is even remotely close to any of the three guys I mentioned. The only guy I feel a little unsure of is Rantanen, but only because he may need time to adjust to the small rink. His size, skill, and hockey IQ will make the adjustment much easier.

For those that think Konecny needs time to marinate more in juniors just think about it for a minute. The only reason this guy goes back is to mature physically. He is as solid a two way player that you'll find in the draft. He is presently a hair under 5'10"/172 and probably comes to camp at 180. He did miss 8 games at the end of the season as his arm was in a sling from a hit against the boards. At the beginning of the season in Oct he was felled with a vicious hit to the head where the player received a 12 game suspension. Miraculously he somehow passed the concussion test. The same can be said for Rau who hasn't grown an inch since he started college, but put on 10 lbs. Rau has played the same physical style and kept his health all 4 years as a Gopher. If you are smart, which Konecny is, then you can take the next step to the NHL right away if you have the speed, skill, shot, tenacity, and hockey IQ. His coach for the 67's advised him at the beginning of the season when he had only 1 goal in 11 games to focus on his strengths which are speed/shot instead of all the fancy stick work and dangling.... it worked. As someone mentioned earlier, he is a slightly smaller version of Sam Bennett.

Last edited:

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
i don't see any need to have a 5'10 172lbs concussed player to immediately come up. we have so many young kids already in the lineup, 4 of our top-6 are under 25yrs old. the only guy i could see maybe coming up immediately is rantanen and thats because like barkov he has the size and is already playing pro level hockey against full grown adults. anyone else i see at the very minimum playing 1 more year in juniors. i can't see tallon picking konecny at 11 anyways. he's a fine player but 11 is pretty high for him imo, I'm sure one of meier, rantanen, zacha, connor will be available there. i think he goes 15-20.
i want to take our time with whoever we draft. if its meier, at least 1 yr if not the full 2 and maybe a year in the ahl too. same goes with zacha. but at least with those 2 they're already pretty big and skilled so I'm sure they could make the transition pretty well after at least 1 more yr. i can't fathom, if we did draft konecny, bringing him up immediately. its unnecessary, especially with the kids size and coming off a concussion.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
i don't see any need to have a 5'10 172lbs concussed player to immediately come up. we have so many young kids already in the lineup, 4 of our top-6 are under 25yrs old. the only guy i could see maybe coming up immediately is rantanen and thats because like barkov he has the size and is already playing pro level hockey against full grown adults. anyone else i see at the very minimum playing 1 more year in juniors. i can't see tallon picking konecny at 11 anyways. he's a fine player but 11 is pretty high for him imo, I'm sure one of meier, rantanen, zacha, connor will be available there. i think he goes 15-20.
i want to take our time with whoever we draft. if its meier, at least 1 yr if not the full 2 and maybe a year in the ahl too. same goes with zacha. but at least with those 2 they're already pretty big and skilled so I'm sure they could make the transition pretty well after at least 1 more yr. i can't fathom, if we did draft konecny, bringing him up immediately. its unnecessary, especially with the kids size and coming off a concussion.
I'm scratching you off my Christmas list. The nerve.:)

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
i wouldnt mind him, id prefer some other guys over him, but i wouldnt be upset it we picked him or anything. but i think he'll definitely get the 2 extra years in the ohl, maybe a year in the ahl too. no need to rush him.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
i wouldnt mind him, id prefer some other guys over him, but i wouldnt be upset it we picked him or anything. but i think he'll definitely get the 2 extra years in the ohl, maybe a year in the ahl too. no need to rush him.
I think I saw you picked Meier as your choice if available, same as me. Everything is really dependent on what Tallon does. If he picks up a veteran, then the choice has been made already on what happens to the draft pick. If not, then we'll see what happens at camp. Since his job is in the balance, I think Tallon goes for a Vet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad