Dreger says Tallon Safe.....for now

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
After a reported tough end of the season exit interview in which the owners were not happy with Tallon, things have settled down per Dreger.

https://www.todaysslapshot.com/from-the-ice/dreger-on-tallons-job-status-with-panthers/

Well this doesn't surprise me considering the rumor he tried to bring Lecavalier on board last year with a trade. Add to that my guess that he was pushing to pursue Kessel + the bonehead contract for Bolland and you have the makings of the beginning of the end in this relationship.

Tallon is too proud and too much of a control freak to let ownership push him too far. I don't see this lasting too much longer unless Dale is willing to accept the hands on approach of ownership. Cifu very much looks upon this as his new toy and I don't think Tallon has much wiggle room without first clearing with Cifu.

Makes you wonder how much input Cifu is going to have with our 1st round choice.

Last edited:

schenneuf

Jul 4, 2011
Tallon had the stones to draft Barkov #2, and he drafted Ekblad. Those are your two franchise cornerstone pieces. Making the right call on those 2 picks alone is enough to give him more time. But yes, the Bolland signing was awful. Hitting on #11, and finding good support pieces in the later rounds are very key now. Jagr was a nice move, hopefully he plays 2 seasons. You are a threat for the playoffs next season. If ownership remains patient (meaning no more Bolland contracts), then you have the making of an annual contender once Barkov/Ekblad hit their primes.

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
After a reported tough end of the season exit interview in which the owners where not happy with Tallon, things have settled down per Dreger.

https://www.todaysslapshot.com/from-the-ice/dreger-on-tallons-job-status-with-panthers/

Well this doesn't surprise me considering the rumor he tried to bring Lecavalier on board last year with a trade. Add to that my guess that he was pushing to pursue Kessel + the bonehead contract for Bolland and you have the makings of the beginning of the end in this relationship.

Tallon is too proud and too much of a control freak to let ownership push him too far. I don't see this lasting too much longer unless Dale is willing to accept the hands on approach of ownership. Cifu very much looks upon this as his new toy and I don't think Tallon has much wiggle room without first clearing with Cifu.

From a fan's perspective, this worries me a bit. I would not feel comfortable with guys like Nonis and Shero at the helm of this franchise. They will come in and change everything all over again and probably feel enough pressure to trade youth for proven talent. Both GM's were recently fired so it's not like they have their fingers on the pulse of the hockey world at this point. I'm with Tallon until I see us miss the playoffs again next year. If we miss next year his butt is toast.

5 Hole

Oct 2, 2011
Woodbine, GA
Pretty ridiculous article from someone not even kind of connected to the team. The last line is pure gold - 'if Tallon can make the team better he will' DUUUUH.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
No idea what Dreger means about wanting to move contracts, Boyes is the only one he could be talking about.

Tallon had the stones to draft Barkov #2, and he drafted Ekblad. Those are your two franchise cornerstone pieces. Making the right call on those 2 picks alone is enough to give him more time. But yes, the Bolland signing was awful. Hitting on #11, and finding good support pieces in the later rounds are very key now. Jagr was a nice move, hopefully he plays 2 seasons. You are a threat for the playoffs next season. If ownership remains patient (meaning no more Bolland contracts), then you have the making of an annual contender once Barkov/Ekblad hit their primes.

Tallon will be fired if they miss the playoffs this year. I have said that repeatedly and this just confirms it. Ownership isn't patient, and they shouldn't be.

Also drafting Ekblad first isn't really notable, just obvious.

From a fan's perspective, this worries me a bit. I would not feel comfortable with guys like Nonis and Shero at the helm of this franchise. They will come in and change everything all over again and probably feel enough pressure to trade youth for proven talent. Both GM's were recently fired so it's not like they have their fingers on the pulse of the hockey world at this point. I'm with Tallon until I see us miss the playoffs again next year. If we miss next year his butt is toast.

It's way too late to change GMs now, so you can relax. Also Shero was named the Devils GM a few weeks ago.

Last edited:

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
Well this doesn't surprise me considering the rumor he tried to bring Lecavalier on board last year with a trade.

I thought Lecavalier was a thrown-in by the Flyers when the Panthers were willing to trade the number 1 pick. Iirc Lecavalier was sort of a deal breaker.

Boothinator

@MrBoothinator
Sep 19, 2009
After a reported tough end of the season exit interview in which the owners where not happy with Tallon, things have settled down per Dreger.

Makes you wonder how much input Cifu is going to have with our 1st round choice.

I dont get why Bolland is the point of that now..The contract certainly isnt good but that is what he gets on the open market. We are not spending to the cap right now. So who cares?

Believe it or not, Bolland is valuable for this team while overpaid..

PK has suffered without him, scored a few huge goals.

Bjugstad was happy to have him on boar

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
Tallon has drafted well, and most of his trades have worked out for us, but his flaw definitely has been free agency. In free agency, he has been average. Number of years seems to be his biggest issue. You can say that dollar amounts have been high, but that is what it takes for free agents to sign with us. Until we are a perennial playoff team, we are going to have to overpay for certain UFAs. It could always be that upper echelon UFAs just didnt want to sign with us either, but I think that can change with us being a more successful team on the ice.

This upcoming 18 months is probably the most important period in the teams history. We are transitioning from that 2010 free agent frenzy, to the youth becoming the faces of this franchise. With the amount of money coming off the books over those 18 months, we really need to hit some home runs at the draft, via trades, and through free agency. It is imperative that this youth movement, along with the moves made over that upcoming time period, is a success, otherwise, who knows if there will be a Florida Panthers team later on. Can we count on Tallon succeeding? His blueprint must succeed, because the future of the Florida Panthers depends on it. This team will not sustain another rebuild, it just wont.

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
Would it be the final nail in the coffin this summer if Dale signs Beleskey to Bolland/Clarkson type of contract?

Gizmo Tkachuk

Registered Loser
Sep 23, 2009
Florida
Simply put, if we don't make the playoffs Dale is gone. I think its obvious at this point. Unfortunately the UFA class is ****, so Dale is going to have to be active via trade to improve the team.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
All these fans not too happy with Tallon, be careful what you wish for. This thing could go in the toilet real quick. You're tired of waiting on this team, how about going back to the days of Keenan and guys like that, no direction for this franchise? I don't know why people think it can only get better if Tallon is gone. It can get a whole lot worse too.
And that's just one element, what if these are the type of owners who think they need to be making hockey decisions, do you want Jeffrey Loria running this franchise? Tallon might be the only thing standing in between that.
And OP, that Kessel rumor is about your own personal opinion, maybe you shouldn't include that in your post. Especially since all we've heard is Tallon is not trading young core pieces, which is what Toronto probably wants for Kessel.

Last edited:

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
I thought Lecavalier was a thrown-in by the Flyers when the Panthers were willing to trade the number 1 pick. Iirc Lecavalier was sort of a deal breaker.
Yeah, Tallon had put together the deal to trade the #1 pick in exchange for Brayden Schenn, Lecavalier, and the Flyers #1 in 2014 and 2015. Cifu and Viola nixed the deal, thank god.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
And OP, that Kessel rumor is about your own personal opinion, maybe you shouldn't include that in your post. Especially since all we've heard is Tallon is not trading young core pieces, which is what Toronto probably wants for Kessel.
I know Cifu has said that Kessel is a no go, and yes it's just my opinion on whether Dale would want Kessel. I just have this feeling as he and Nonis think alike, ala the bidding war for Bolland.

harv33173

Oct 5, 2003
All these fans not too happy with Tallon, be careful what you wish for. This thing could go in the toilet real quick. You're tired of waiting on this team, how about going back to the days of Keenan and guys like that, no direction for this franchise? I don't know why people think it can only get better if Tallon is gone. It can get a whole lot worse too.
And that's just one element, what if these are the type of owners who think they need to be making hockey decisions, do you want Jeffrey Loria running this franchise? Tallon might be the only thing standing in between that.

. agree 100%. biggest problem i have with tallon is the bolland deal. sure he's over paid in $$$$ and term for other fa's, but i believe that was the only way he could get them here. bolland however is a story in itself. tallon has made some good moves, especially in trades and drafting. i think he's done a very good job. this upcoming year is key. if we're not competitive it could be the end of tallon. if we're competitive and just miss the playoffs could be iffy.

PanthersHockey1

South by Southeast
Mar 11, 2010
Palm Trees
i went to that premium season ticket holder event where viola/cifu/tallon were there. Ive never heard the owners sound MORE confident in tallon than right now.

This article is ********.

FlaPnthrsPunk

Apr 17, 2006
Coral Springs, FL
I met Cifu, Viola, Tallon, and Torrey at PanthersPalooza. One of the most awesome things that I saw that night while in the locker room after a shootout win over the Islanders was how they were all so happy with the win together. It was easy to tell firsthand how Cifu and Viola want this team to succeed as much as we all do. I remember Viola slapping Huberdeau five for the game winning goal and said to Tallon "Hey, Dale. You drafted this kid."

Friendships aside, Tallon knows he's a goner if the team misses the playoffs again. I just don't believe that the ownership was disappointed in Tallon with the 25-point improvement that the team made this season. Bolland's contract was a mistake, but the comment in that article is right. Tallon's fingerprints are all over this team's future. I'm not sure if bringing a new general manager in is a great idea unless we regress. We're so close to being a playoff team. I just find it hard to believe that with the front office and team we have in place next season that we won't make progress.

IM Clutcm

Jun 20, 2014
Miami, FL
i went to that premium season ticket holder event where viola/cifu/tallon were there. Ive never heard the owners sound MORE confident in tallon than right now.

This article is ********.

I agree. I have heard absolutely nothing that would indicate they are upset with him. Every time Tallon's name comes up they have great things to say about him. I understand you're not going to go to the media with negativity towards your GM, but Cifu and Viola have been so over the top in their praise for Tallon that this article is misinformed at best.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
And that's just one element, what if these are the type of owners who think they need to be making hockey decisions, do you want Jeffrey Loria running this franchise?

I don't want Tallon gone now. I want him gone at the end of the year if they miss the playoffs. he has had enough time to turn it around, and everyone here knows what's needed for this team to take the next step (another scorer) if nothing is done and they miss, he's gone and he deserves it.

I don't really see a Loria comparison, this is Tallon's 3rd year with new ownership. For a GM that they didn't hire that is a long leash.

Big Bjugs

Amat Victoria Curam
Jan 9, 2013
Canada Eh
It's as if these "insiders" are there for every conversation between Tallon and co(or any GM/Owner). What if DT came out of that meeting, with heart burn and looked discombobulated, because he also got too much sun the day before and his suede shirt and gold chain was rubbing on his sun burn, thus giving him a disgruntled look on his face as if he came from a bad meeting?????

BabyBennettov

May 2, 2002
Under the Sunshine
Visit site
You know, I don't mind doing it once which I did when I made this claim a few months ago but to do it a second time is a PITA when someone can easily google it:

http://www.nj.com/flyers/index.ssf/2015/03/why_flyers_vincent_lecavalier_is_tradable_and_why.html

Don't care about your article written in march relating supposed events in the summer the year before...

We all heard about those rumors, and from all the insiders at that time, it was LUKE Schenn, Lecavalier and their first !

Tallon asked for a king's ransom at the time and wanted either both Schenn brothers in the deal or Simmonds... And the Flyers didn't bent...

And Tallon was right to ask for that price.

Then at the beginning of free-agency and during the summer, the Predators tried to acquire Lecavalier...

End of the story.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad