TSN: Dreger Report: The Peter Principle

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Asking more than stating emphatically, but would it make sense for Jacobs to allow Chia to continue making deals with players such as recent Krug/Smith signings if their plan was to ship him outta town in the off season?

I know Neely has the final thumbs up in a deal as far as giving his stamp of approval or otherwise but I have to think Jacobs wouldn`t allow Chia to play with his $$$ if he was very much thinking about letting him go? I could be way off here, hardly be the first time that`s happened for me

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Why don't you show us why Boychuk means another Cup. A guy that is barely top 4 and now somehow the difference maker because he was popular. :shakehead

and was equally as bad in the playoffs against the Habs last year but it was so much easier to blame Bart for all that went wrong

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
A mild quibble: Both Chara & Savard were signed while Gorton was still interim GM & Chia was in limbo between his selection by ownership & leaving Ottawa, due to the latter's objection or a league stumbling block. He likely made his wishes known, however.:)

I`m no insider but were foolin ourselves if we think Chia didn`t have some sort of influence on those moves.....not saying he did any tampering or whatever that would be called.........but he did;)

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
No. He signed Chara and Savard. Without Chara, this team never wins the Cup. Not in a million years. Set the tone for this team for a decade.

Glad we have fact checkers here. The amount of false stuff the anti Chia crew throw against the wall is insane, at least post truth if you're going to trash the guy.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Asking more than stating emphatically, but would it make sense for Jacobs to allow Chia to continue making deals with players such as recent Krug/Smith signings if their plan was to ship him outta town in the off season?

I know Neely has the final thumbs up in a deal as far as giving his stamp of approval or otherwise but I have to think Jacobs wouldn`t allow Chia to play with his $$$ if he was very much thinking about letting him go? I could be way off here, hardly be the first time that`s happened for me

I was saying this last night as well. I'm sure Chia wouldnt be allowed to make these moves if his job was in trouble. It's all just noise And Chia and the Bruins need to ignore it.

Latrappe

If Cam allow it
Nov 3, 2006
You mean... The Dreger who has been been outscooped by his own fake account? :laugh:

BRUINS since 1995

May 10, 2010
Au pays de la neige
I can see the management cap as a disputable element in Chia management, with all these nmc and ntc. But I believe in stability, and over all Chia and Julien era indicates that they need that fans to be a little more patient before throwing all management under the bus. I still believe these guys are part of the solution.

That said, I can't believe some do think that Julien and Chia are not also part of the problem! Mistakes made in the last couple of years are also why the Bruins are in this position! Especially the JB trade.

nmbr_24

Jun 8, 2003
Visit site
Obviously I'm in the minority here, but I don't want him let go. I want Neely to give him the off-season and at least the start of next year before making a move. Just my 2 cents

Same here. I realized last season that he went all in and got Iginla and there would be a $5 million cap penalty this season and that at least one player that was making in the area of $4 million would have to go this season. A lot of people on this board were okay with what he did then, I don't know if they were ignoring the consequences or what but I realized it.

I also don't have a problem with him trading Seguin because that was part of him going all in last season. Seguin had shown that he doesn't score in the playoffs and with the exception of 3 games out of his approximately 50 playoff games he either wasn't ready or wasn't able to play anywhere near his regular season form. People can't paint it any way they want but Seguin just didn't get it done and Chiarelli tried to get players who would get it done. Of course now it would be better to have Seguin but Chiarelli was trying to win a cup.

My gripe with Ciarelli is that I saw that Seidenberg wasn't the same player even before he was injured last season, Chiarelli should have found a way to move him instead of Boychuk. This team's D was above average with Boychuk and now they are mediocre without him and Seidenberg in his place. I really believe that Boychuk would have made the difference in a few games this season and with him they are firmly in a playoff position.

Chiarelli has made moves that have sacrificed the future for the now, he knows he can't continue like that endlessly. This season is Chiarelli letting the team restock, retool, and next couple of seasons reinvent itself hopefully. He was all in for as long as he could be, he isn't all in this season and why should he be?

One mediocre season should not be a reason that a GM is fired, I find that to be an over the top and ridiculous reaction when he has done so much for the team.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
Chia has done some great things here that we as a fan base should be forever greatful for. He has also done some things we will be forever resentful for.

What this team went through this year wasn't all his fault. The injuries and the fact that just about the entire roster is under preforming can't be put on is back. However questionable roster moves,bad contracts with way to many NTC/NMC's have his fingerprint all over them. Failure to produce the promised series of moves that were to follow the JB trade, left him exposed.

I'm on the fence, I was on his side until his performance at TDL which left me with a feeling that the hole he dug just keeps getting deeper.

Even though I'd like to cut him some slack the fact that he was unable to trade even one bad contract or some of the dead weight this team is carrying left me wondering. Hate to use the word evaluate after all the bad jokes floating around these boards but his ability to evaluate seems questionable to me. Maybe in his mind he doesn't have bad contracts or dead weight. If this is what he's thinking , then he needs to go.

Some teams have been able to unloaded some really bad contracts this year for players that were preforming way worse than the ones we have. Why wasn't he able to move even one of them? This is the main question I have for him, if he answers that he doesn't feel we have bad contracts then I show him the door. Either way it raises flags, if he thinks he has bad contracts but wasn't able to unload them then that is still a weakness , though not as bad.

Give him the summer to tr straightening things out ? It would depend on what his mind set is.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

Don't think you are.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I`m no insider but were foolin ourselves if we think Chia didn`t have some sort of influence on those moves.....not saying he did any tampering or whatever that would be called.........but he did;)

This could be true, but was it really that difficult a decision to make? Bad team, plenty of cap space, 2 free agents that are just what is needed.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
This could be true, but was it really that difficult a decision to make? Bad team, plenty of cap space, 2 free agents that are just what is needed.

Bad Team, plenty of Cap space, not exactly the easiest "sell" for a UFA to sign on the dotted line

Z and Savvy didn't exactly jump on board an up and coming team. Chia's made his mistakes and is 100% accountable to the fan base for them but have a look at the roster that he began year 1 in and how he had to move out a bunch of parts he and his staff felt couldn't bring this team to where it needed to be

He's had rough moments, I cringe at what another GM might have done with what he inhereted although there were "some" decent pieces

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Bad Team, plenty of Cap space, not exactly the easiest "sell" for a UFA to sign on the dotted line

Z and Savvy didn't exactly jump on board an up and coming team. Chia's made his mistakes and is 100% accountable to the fan base for them but have a look at the roster that he began year 1 in and how he had to move out a bunch of parts he and his staff felt couldn't bring this team to where it needed to be

He's had rough moments, I cringe at what another GM might have done with what he inhereted although there were "some" decent pieces

I'm pretty sure Chia wouldn't be the one making the sell, though. He was still under contract to Ottawa at that point. Would the new GM risk a tampering charge as his first action on behave of his new team?

Anyway, in regard to this whole management purge frenzy, I think its ridiculous.

Marchy63

Sep 16, 2006
Oshawa
While some people just want to see Chiarelli and Julien fired because they don't like them, I think based on his performance he is not doing himself any favors or doing anything that sets him apart from other GMs in the league. People will say "well he won a cup and brought us to the finals", but so did Jim Rutherford in Carolina (obviously without sustained playoff/regular season success) and Ray Shero in Pittsburgh (didn't win a President's Trophy and inherited 2 of the best players in league).

Coaches and GMs have been fired before with resumes similar to Chiarelli's and Julien's and not because they are bad at their jobs, but because they did not win. Ultimately the job of the coach and GM is to win the Stanley Cup every year. Is it fair to expect that? No of course not, but that is the job like it or not. I think both Chiarelli and Julien have excelled far beyond what most people thought they would, but I don't think they are untouchable either, they certainly don't deserve the needless criticism that they receive here on a daily basis.

Are they perfect? Absolutely not. Are they the worst GM and coach in the league? Absolutely not. The real question would have to be is there anyone out there right now that would be better than them? I don't know the answer to that.

Iceage

Jun 26, 2013
I'm not going to get into an essay as to why, but yes, he's a significant piece and he would make a huge difference. There are mitigating factors as well, but in the most simplistic terms, to answer your question, yes, absolutely.

Boychuck was there last year when we lost out to Montreal in the 1st round. Oh, it must be everybody's else fault besides Boychuck's.

I like Boychuck, don't get me wrong. But he didn't make the Bruins a contender by himself. He was one part of a team.

Marchy63

Sep 16, 2006
Oshawa
I think the problem with the Boychuk trade was that it made us obviously weaker at a position we were already weak in and relied on too many players improving too quickly. No one can say that having Boychuk on this team would not improve our defence, but no one knows for sure exactly how much of a change it would make in the standings. The move also seemed to be out of desperation seeing as how there were other options out there and the return that he got.

Also the Connolly deal has no bearing on the Boychuk trade as the picks we got for Boychuk were not part of the trade for Connolly (who will need to be signed and probably for more than 850K he is now). Yes the picks we picked up made our picks expendable, but is Brett Connolly the option we could have used those picks on? Is Brett Connolly any better than Reilly Smith (other than the fact he right handed)? Could the Bruins have held onto Boychuk until the deadline and moved him after finding out they couldn't resign him for more than 2 second round picks?

There are a lot of questions that will never be answered that will lead to speculation on the part fans that people who do not like the decisions will bring up. No one knows for sure what Boychuk would have brought at the deadline or what he would have signed in Boston for or why Chiarelli didn't use either of his compliance buyouts or why he had to trade Boychuk a couple days before the season started. Maybe no one else was interested in our garbage players and Chiarelli was told that we cannot buyout or waive any players currently under contract.

The one thing we do know is that Chiarelli & company made this mess and now it has to be cleaned up. Will Chiarelli be allowed to fix this team is another question

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
This team should still be one of the 2/3 favorites to win the Cup. We got to that level because of Chiarelli. But he also took that away WAY too early.

I don't care about the Seguin deal. Yeah, horrible trade, but we got some productive players out of it. It could be A LOT worse. It was a bad trade but we really didn't get any worse from it.

The contracts, the NTCs, the pointless trades like the Boychuk one, the poor cap management, poor drafting besides obvious picks like Hamilton/Seguin... That's why we're a mediocre team today. While Chia did bring this team from a perennial loser to a perennial winner, he's threatening to turn it into a perennial loser again.

Can he turn it around? Sure. If he's fired, will he get another job within a week? Absolutely. But he is accountable for the mess we're in today and it's up to management to decide if he's going to be given an opportunity to fix it. If we miss the playoffs there has got to be no confidence in him.

Also, are we really arguing Boychuk was barely top-4? Give me a break. He was one of the most solid #3s in the league who could play as a #2 no problem if he had to. No defenseman was really "Great" in that Montreal series, no player was, but I thought Hamilton and Boychuk were our only halfway decent ones...

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
This team should still be one of the 2/3 favorites to win the Cup. We got to that level because of Chiarelli. But he also took that away WAY too early.

I don't care about the Seguin deal. Yeah, horrible trade, but we got some productive players out of it. It could be A LOT worse. It was a bad trade but we really didn't get any worse from it.

The contracts, the NTCs, the pointless trades like the Boychuk one, the poor cap management, poor drafting besides obvious picks like Hamilton/Seguin... That's why we're a mediocre team today. While Chia did bring this team from a perennial loser to a perennial winner, he's threatening to turn it into a perennial loser again.

Can he turn it around? Sure. If he's fired, will he get another job within a week? Absolutely. But he is accountable for the mess we're in today and it's up to management to decide if he's going to be given an opportunity to fix it. If we miss the playoffs there has got to be no confidence in him.

Also, are we really arguing Boychuk was barely top-4? Give me a break. He was one of the most solid #3s in the league who could play as a #2 no problem if he had to. No defenseman was really "Great" in that Montreal series, no player was, but I thought Hamilton and Boychuk were our only halfway decent ones...

See I don't think we're in a MESS...I think the bruins are surviving a year filled with injuries and inconsistent play by the core players. I don't feel it's as bad as some have portrayed it to be.

World of Wardlow

Unscripted Violence
Jul 13, 2006
Montreal
If the upper management decide to fire Chiarelli and Julien, then I hope nothing but the worst for this franchise ... Garbage move to make with the way this season has gone (injuries to their top players, etc etc). ONE bad year does not make for judgement the last 7 years.

Too much power hungry *******s at top. Didn't they learn their lesson during the 39 year drought??!!

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I'm pretty sure Chia wouldn't be the one making the sell, though. He was still under contract to Ottawa at that point. Would the new GM risk a tampering charge as his first action on behave of his new team?

Anyway, in regard to this whole management purge frenzy, I think its ridiculous.

In this world of easy communication, wouldn`t shock me one bit if he had a ;);) conversation with Z and Savvy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad