TSN: Dreger Report: The Peter Principle

kytem2

Nov 18, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
The Peter Principle is a concept in management theory in which the selection of a candidate for a position is based on the candidate's performance in their current role rather than on abilities relevant to the intended role. Thus, employees only stop being promoted once they can no longer perform effectively, and "managers rise to the level of their incompetence."

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
The dude has an unreal resume for team performance regular season and playoff...hard to argue he isn't a great GM. I doubt Chia is worried about employment should the team terminate his contract, which would be a massive mistake.

Both he & his coach would be hired almost instantly, and both will have no shortage of suitors.

Again, many on this board were conviced Chiarelli would make a panic trade "to save his skin." It didn't happen. Whether the moves or non moves were correct, he acted in what he believes to be the best short, medium & long term interest of the club, which is entirely consistent with past behavior.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
No. He signed Chara and Savard. Without Chara, this team never wins the Cup. Not in a million years. Set the tone for this team for a decade.

A mild quibble: Both Chara & Savard were signed while Gorton was still interim GM & Chia was in limbo between his selection by ownership & leaving Ottawa, due to the latter's objection or a league stumbling block. He likely made his wishes known, however.:)

Southern Gentleman B

May 1, 2011
Brevard, NC
Totally agree. PC is a great GM and if there's somebody that I have confidence in to rebuild/retool this team it's him.

There is one thing I've learned from following sports over the years. If an organization is going to fire a coach or FO personnel they had better make the first hire thereafter the right hire. Anything less can lead to years of ineptitude and endless rebuilding. Fans bail out of frustration. That is why I have been back and forth and why I am tentative about replacing Chia, or Julian for that matter. It would be a scary undertaking from my view and we could easily end up in worse shape.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
If "one Eastern Conference GM" thinks it's ridiculous that Chia is taking heat, I wonder what the perception of the Bruins organization is among other NHL executives. That's to say, if Chia gets fired, would potential replacements be reluctant to throw their name in the ring out of concern that they too will come under fire unreservedly? Just thinking out loud.

in general its ridiculous when gm's that have success are let go... or coaches... but that's the nature of the business

I think most people will read the situation that neely and chiarelli had a power struggle and neely was wanting his own hire. that neely inherited chiarelli and bide his time before he could justify the firing

I think the new incoming gm will feel he is Neely's choice.

but im guessing the new gm will severly be neutered. I think neely wants much more say in the process and ultimately that's the potential reason chiarelli will be let go/not because of a lack of success.

Era of Sanity

Certified Poster
Nov 12, 2010
He has Jim Nill's full support :sarcasm:.

Yes the Seguin trade is a debacle but over the years he has made many good trades and moves as well and the results have been among the top tier of GMs in the game. The grass is always greener. Chances are the replacement would not be as good.

Chiarelli has been maligned, and somewhat rightfully so, for his drafting but it looks like that has come around. Getting Pasta at 25 is larceny and Spooner is looking like he could be a productive player as well.

Chiarelli has earned the right to stay on as GM, at least for another year or so to see what he can establish.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Neely may not get such a great chance to bring in 'his guy' if he lets Chiarelli fix this. Neely allows that he could be looking at double digit years without selecting a management team.

Morris Wanchuk

Feb 10, 2006
War Memorial Arena
Neely may not get such a great chance to bring in 'his guy' if he lets Chiarelli fix this. Neely allows that he could be looking at double digit years without selecting a management team.

Last two times this happened they won the cup and made it to the finals.

So lets see what happens this year. :laugh::laugh:

David Krejci*

Why are people bringing up Chara and Savard? Even if that was Chiarelli, that's not a genius move or anything. That's all ownership being willing to pay that kind of money. Wow what a smart guy, he gave the two best free agents more money than other teams.

I'll always respect a guy who brings us a Cup, but over the past few years he has been a DISASTER.

Morris Wanchuk

Feb 10, 2006
War Memorial Arena
Why are people bringing up Chara and Savard? Even if that was Chiarelli, that's not a genius move or anything. That's all ownership being willing to pay that kind of money. Wow what a smart guy, he gave the two best free agents more money than other teams.

I'll always respect a guy who brings us a Cup, but over the past few years he has been a DISASTER.

Charlie wants Gorton back.

Iceage

Jun 26, 2013
What exactly has he done that is any more than most teams' GMs?

He inherited a team with Bergy, Chara, Savard, Krejci, Marchand, Lucic, Thomas, Rask, no?

He signed Morris only to later trade for Seids.

Boychuk and Recchi trades were great.

Even if the Kaberle and Pevs trades were brutal value wise they did help get a Cup in Boston.

His drafting and contract extensions have overall been poor at best. Ditto for cap management.

He helped bring us a Cup but after the past few years I don't think he is the perfect GM we thought he was in 10/11.

Other teams can jump on him if they want. That doesn't mean anything about how good or valuable he is to us.

He deserves to be punished for his arrogance and overconfidence the past few years. I've wanted him gone since the Boychuk trade.

I'm glad he shaved that mustache before the deadline press conference at least!!

The Boychuck trade was going to happen, like it or not. Sending the equivalent two 2nd for Connolly has a chance to turn the Boychuck trade into a brilliant trade. Just need it to give it time. Short term pain for long term gains. IMO the rebuilt/retool has started with Pastrnak, Spooner, Connolly and Ferin. Subban will be with the Bruins next season unless he's part of a bigger trade. It will continue in the off-season. Hopefully, he will rebuild/retool the defence. That should obviously be his priority.

David Krejci*

The Boychuck trade was going to happen, like it or not. Sending the equivalent two 2nd for Connolly has a chance to turn the Boychuck trade into a brilliant trade. Just need it to give it time. Short term pain for long term gains. IMO the rebuilt/retool has started with Pastrnak, Spooner, Connolly and Ferin. Subban will be with the Bruins next season unless he's part of a bigger trade. It will continue in the off-season. Hopefully, he will rebuild/retool the defence. That should obviously be his priority.

For the ten millionth time, they didn't HAVE to trade Boychuk. Even if you take out the fact that they stupidly paid Seidenberg instead of him, and even if you take out the fact that they didn't trade guys like Kelly/McQuaid/Campbell/Bart/etc. instead of him the year before, or even the whole summer before the season, they STILL could've gone into the season with Boychuk on the roster. So they would've had little flexibility in ****ing October. Who gives a ****??? He was a very important player here, on the ice and off of it. This is a guy who would be playing in a contract year, you would've gotten the best out of him for sure and given yourself a legitimate chance at a Stanley Cup.

And EVEN if you use the stupid logic of "we should get something for him instead of letting him walk as a UFA for nothing" (it's stupid because you aren't just letting him walk for nothing, you are having him play out the season and giving you your best shot at a Cup in a DWINDLING Cup window), then they STILL did the wrong thing by not waiting until the deadline to trade him, when prices are at their highest and teams are desperately trying to find the last pieces of their team to make a Cup run with.

They could've got a 1st and probably a decent prospect for him, because Boychuk's real value is in the playoffs. There is a small handful of defensemen I'd rather have on my team come playoff time than Johnny Boychuk. Very few players in the league ramp up their game like he does come the post season, he is an absolute warrior, and he is as clutch as anybody. That whole trade was a joke and people who act like it was some kind of formality, you couldn't be more wrong.

But even scratch all of that away, and say that they did have to trade Boychuk, that they were left with no choice. It would STILL be Chiarelli's fault for poor drafting and overpaying mediocre/average players to over compensate for it. It's not just "whoops poor us we're up against the cap". There are reasons for that.

Riverfront

Jan 5, 2015
Hope chiarelli stays. He has done a great job. How many teams have a better record in the last 5 seasons. Hope we don.t see don Sweeney promoted to gm then we will never see another ontario hockey league player get drafted, just us college players, the bruins will go into a tailspin if that happens.

13Hockey

Go Bruins
Jul 20, 2006
Boston
no way I fire Chia after this season even if he misses the playoffs

Id give him the offseason and next year to make this team a cup contender again if he fails and the bruins suck again than his time in Boston should come to an end

Iceage

Jun 26, 2013
For the ten millionth time, they didn't HAVE to trade Boychuk. Even if you take out the fact that they stupidly paid Seidenberg instead of him, and even if you take out the fact that they didn't trade guys like Kelly/McQuaid/Campbell/Bart/etc. instead of him the year before, or even the whole summer before the season, they STILL could've gone into the season with Boychuk on the roster. So they would've had little flexibility in ****ing October. Who gives a ****??? He was a very important player here, on the ice and off of it. This is a guy who would be playing in a contract year, you would've gotten the best out of him for sure and given yourself a legitimate chance at a Stanley Cup.

And EVEN if you use the stupid logic of "we should get something for him instead of letting him walk as a UFA for nothing" (it's stupid because you aren't just letting him walk for nothing, you are having him play out the season and giving you your best shot at a Cup in a DWINDLING Cup window), then they STILL did the wrong thing by not waiting until the deadline to trade him, when prices are at their highest and teams are desperately trying to find the last pieces of their team to make a Cup run with.

They could've got a 1st and probably a decent prospect for him, because Boychuk's real value is in the playoffs. There is a small handful of defensemen I'd rather have on my team come playoff time than Johnny Boychuk. Very few players in the league ramp up their game like he does come the post season, he is an absolute warrior, and he is as clutch as anybody. That whole trade was a joke and people who act like it was some kind of formality, you couldn't be more wrong.

But even scratch all of that away, and say that they did have to trade Boychuk, that they were left with no choice. It would STILL be Chiarelli's fault for poor drafting and overpaying mediocre/average players to over compensate for it. It's not just "whoops poor us we're up against the cap". There are reasons for that.

So Johnny Boychuck is the difference between the Bruins being a cup contender or not?

David Krejci*

So Johnny Boychuck is the difference between the Bruins being a cup contender or not?

I'm not going to get into an essay as to why, but yes, he's a significant piece and he would make a huge difference. There are mitigating factors as well, but in the most simplistic terms, to answer your question, yes, absolutely.

David Krejci*

"If it wasn't Boychuk it would've been someone else."

Ummm yeah no **** dude, it SHOULD'VE been someone else.

"They would've had success elsewhere too."

I don't even know what that means. My stance on Boychuk has nothing to do with what he's done on the island. I was all over that before it even happened, before even legit rumors about Boychuk were coming out and people on here were just speculating about cap casualties. Has nothing to do with his success since he's left.

Comparing this team to the Oilers is stupid. We were set up to dominate this league, and be perennial Stanley Cup contenders if not favorites, for YEARS. Then since the 2013 Final, they've done almost everything they can to squander that. Now we're a couple of years after that, and the poor drafting of prior to that has now come back to bite them.

Don't compare this team to the Oilers or the Leafs, I don't give a **** what those idiots do. People here have every single right to be upset and to criticize these moves they've made. Just because he's Boychuk's brother, that doesn't have anything to do with anything. It doesn't make him any more credible to discuss these roster moves than any of us.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Obviously I'm in the minority here, but I don't want him let go. I want Neely to give him the off-season and at least the start of next year before making a move. Just my 2 cents

I have no trust in him anymore, this deadline action and the players he was after clearly shows that he's lost right now, and his owed speech was just brutal.

And if we keep him here in the offseason watch him trade eriksson over kelly to save cap and pay 5M to our 4th line.
He's killing this team piece by piece.

Barnum

Aug 28, 2014
‘Murica Ex-Pat - UK
What exactly has he done that is any more than most teams' GMs?

He inherited a team with Bergy, Chara, Savard, Krejci, Marchand, Lucic, Thomas, Rask, no?

He signed Morris only to later trade for Seids.

Boychuk and Recchi trades were great.

Even if the Kaberle and Pevs trades were brutal value wise they did help get a Cup in Boston.

His drafting and contract extensions have overall been poor at best. Ditto for cap management.

He helped bring us a Cup but after the past few years I don't think he is the perfect GM we thought he was in 10/11.

Other teams can jump on him if they want. That doesn't mean anything about how good or valuable he is to us.

He deserves to be punished for his arrogance and overconfidence the past few years. I've wanted him gone since the Boychuk trade.

I'm glad he shaved that mustache before the deadline press conference at least!!

If you are going to bash someone at least have your facts straight and bashing him for a mustache makes you look petty.

Anyhow:

Chia drafted Lucic. He signed Chara. Drafted Marchand, He traded for Rask.

So, is there anything you want to add?

Barnum

Aug 28, 2014
‘Murica Ex-Pat - UK
A mild quibble: Both Chara & Savard were signed while Gorton was still interim GM & Chia was in limbo between his selection by ownership & leaving Ottawa, due to the latter's objection or a league stumbling block. He likely made his wishes known, however.:)

Chiarelli is generally given credit for those deals even it happened under that "agreement". We all know who was pulling the strings.

Boston Signs: Marc Savard

Contract: Four Years, $20 Million

Date: July 1, 2006

Just over a month into his tenure as Bruins GM, Peter Chiarelli made an enormous free agent splash by signing Marc Savard.

Boston Signs: Zdeno Chara

Contract: Five years, $37.5 million

Date: July 1, 2006

On the first day of free agency in 2006, the Bruins brand new GM made an enormous splash by signing the biggest player on the market. On the same day that he signed star center Marc Savard, Chiarelli inked franchise defenseman Zdeno Chara.

Chiarelli was hired on May 26, 2006 as the General Manager of the Boston Bruins. He was signed to a four-year contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->